SiouxSports.com Forum

UND v. Black Hills State......

WYOBISONMAN

I heard coach Mussman make a comment after the game that we got a little banged up in the first half. Anyone know of any injuries or what happened?

From the Herald:

- The Sioux came out of the game in reltively good health. The biggest concern is an ankle injury suffered by Dominique Bennett in the first half.

I was thinking this morning driving home that if the Sioux don't win this game by about 40 the great effort at Fresno will be for naught, so it's good to see that they took care of business. Looking at the box score they must have played a lot of young guys in the 4th when BHS scored twice, nice to have your backups playing in the right end of a blowout for a change.

I realize we could run it and you do what gets you the W, but I really think we need to pass more. We are thin at running back. Just this week Muss was saying we need to not have Miller carry so much like last week. We were up early and had a very nice lead in the 2nd quarter where I felt we could take some chances and work on the pass game.

• Upvote 1

How is the new qb? I didn't get to watch the game but from the sounds of it he is starting to progress nicely?

He looked a lot more comfortable in the pocket than he has in previous games. He started off a pretty inaccurate with his passes but seems to get better as the game went on. I still have a lot of concerns because UND should have been able to have a better passing day against Black Hills State.

Our 2 halfbacks barely weigh 300+ lbs.combined, but I liked the way the way they hit the hole and cut out of it.

Joey, IMO, throws a "lazy" ball. Take a long time to get from A to B. Not alot of arm strength. I can how if he is late delivering the ball vs. better competition, he is going to really struggle.

Front seven looked good on D. Corners??? Little supsect. Safeties were solid.

A win is a win, as last week a loss was a loss.

Some of my takes from the game:

Our line is built to run block and it's what they prefer and are good at. They do not like to pass block and they are not very good at it. There should have been no reason Bradley should have been feeling any pressure unless they were blitzing 6 or 7 and then he should have found easy completions in man coverage. This did not happen really.

Bradley did not throw a good looking deep ball all day. They were either underthrown, let hang up, or forced a great catch by a wide open receiver (McGill).

Defense looked great early on in the game. Corners are still suspect and still give up yardage. Against the BHSU receivers, they should not have had problems but were often several yards away when the catch was made. Closed nicely and made solid tackles, but should be able to break on that ball when it's in the air and make more plays on the ball as its getting to the receiver rather than after they have already caught it.

Safeties are solid and made some nice looking plays.

Would liked to have seen the 1's keep their intensity throughout their playing time in the second half but you could see them with visibly less motivation. Benjamin got pushed around quite a bit in the second half and that's hard to believe given how he dominated against Fresno just the other week.

All in all it was a win, but I come away not all that impressed. We already knew we could run the ball, we proved that against Fresno. I wanted to see what could be done in the passing game and am still not convinced on what we have at this point in the season. Also I kept wondering throughout the game if Mussman told the OC to simply go vanilla or what. How many times did we run out of singleback, two tight end, two receiver sets?

Just got back from my trip up to Grand Forks. The parade was good, kids loved it. Tailgating before the game was great. Thanks for the wings BWW!!!! Now my take on the game: (1st half only..note to self never take a 5 year old to a game and expect him not to be annoying!!). So we left at halftime.

Sioux score :16 into the game. Great fumble return, got the crowd into the game right away.

TD pass to Hardin..great catch only to come back on a hold.

I saw Muss yelling at the team after the 2nd Qtr. The team looked like they didn't care when it was 23-0. It was good to see Muss fire up the troops, and kick some @ss.

Defense did good, and overall I think we are ready for Southern Utah. UND's attention span better be more than 1 quarter in that game or it will be over quickly.

What was with the "in game host" chick talking during the gameplay? Several times, she went on and on while the teams were at the line and the plays were going on. Embarrassing, someone needs to fix that.

I didn't think they could do that (if the band can't play during plays how can someone on a mic start talking). And it was embarrassing. She only needs to come on during media TO, and at the end of quarters.

What was with the "in game host" chick talking during the gameplay? Several times, she went on and on while the teams were at the line and the plays were going on. Embarrassing, someone needs to fix that.

She was reading all the bios and stuff for hall of fame inductees. Why during play is beyond me. The dumb games are not that important during the media timeouts and it should've been done then. When I'd run into people at the game or at half they all said how annoying she was.

She was reading all the bios and stuff for hall of fame inductees. Why during play is beyond me. The dumb games are not that important during the media timeouts and it should've been done then. When I'd run into people at the game or at half they all said how annoying she was.

Yes, like I said, it is very embarrassing. I sure hope the gamedays are improved for the first year of the Big Sky.

many people have said that game-day production at the Al is pathetic. There are so many basic things that UND and the Al could do to improve the game-day experience. First off: bring back MAX!!!

If you are referring to Max, like the Max who was also at the Ralph...that might be a little difficult. He no longer lives in Grand Forks.

The football game was treated like a sideshow. The main event was the presentations and extraneous stuff. Halftime was good, with the '01 team.

Really, we're being critical of in-game stuff. WHO CARES!!! Honestly, I go to the games to enjoy the games. I think why those pieces went long is that she had too much to read in regards to the Hall of Fame inductees. I could be wrong. But that really is- neither- here nor there. Again, I honestly don't care if they have naked people with advertiser slogans running around during media timeouts or turtle races going on somewhere. I'm there for the game. Now, I bet if there was no games or media timeout fill or whatever you want to call it, people would be complaining that there isn't anything going on. My goodness I think it's apparent that we just need something to complain about. Honestly, I don't give a rip about who is doing the bits or what they are about, as long as we have a decent product on the field (a team that wins and performs) that's all that matters and in reality that will determine whether or not the fan has a good game day experience. I find it absolutely hilarious that it means that much to people.

• Upvote 2

Are some of you people complaining about the in-game activities and pieces the ones that were going crazy when they thow plastic or rubber football's into the crowd? Or maybe your the ones that were sitting next to me that called the person who was throwing them out an *** hole for not throwing one to them. I mean come on it is a plastic or rubber football. ??? It just goes to show you that you can make anyone or everyone happy. That's why I'm saying I'm still not particularily impressed with this team. And we had better get it together or we are going to have it handed to us at Southern Utah this coming Saturday.

Really, we're being critical of in-game stuff. WHO CARES!!! Honestly, I go to the games to enjoy the games. I think why those pieces went long is that she had too much to read in regards to the Hall of Fame inductees. I could be wrong. But that really is- neither- here nor there. Again, I honestly don't care if they have naked people with advertiser slogans running around during media timeouts or turtle races going on somewhere. I'm there for the game. Now, I bet if there was no games or media timeout fill or whatever you want to call it, people would be complaining that there isn't anything going on. My goodness I think it's apparent that we just need something to complain about. Honestly, I don't give a rip about who is doing the bits or what they are about, as long as we have a decent product on the field (a team that wins and performs) that's all that matters and in reality that will determine whether or not the fan has a good game day experience. I find it absolutely hilarious that it means that much to people.

My problem was that she was talking during play and it was taking away from my experience of watching the game. They can play the games and throw crap I don't care. But it shouldn't override the game.

The talking during plays was the issue, and UND could/should have been assessed a 15 yard penalty. This is basic stuff, our people should know this, including the person talking/running the feed/SOMEONE. Also, someone kept hitting a clip of the 2001 play by play and sending it over the PA. I think it happened 3 times, 2 for sure.

My problem was that she was talking during play and it was taking away from my experience of watching the game. They can play the games and throw crap I don't care. But it shouldn't override the game.

I don't disagree that she and they shouldn't be doing that, and I'm certainly not a fan of when it happens. I know one person fairly well within the system and they have always been pretty forthcoming about things with me. Alot of times it's just young people who are given the opportunities to be at the helm. They are going to make mistakes. Again, unfortunate that it happened but it's not going to ruin my day. A lot of times there is intern staff involved, college students who don't spend every second going through run throughs- making sure there are no errors- because as students they obviously spend most of their time being students. I'm just saying... I guess the biggest thing in my view is that we have got to this point. There is no denying that when football was averaging almost 10000 fans per contest until about 3 years ago, it has steadily decreased as the programs fortunes have dwindled recently. So what do you do- you turn to proven methods and make it an event--- like minor league baseball does- try to turn it into a show. Personally, it's not really necessary for me, but I understand why they chose this course of action. When a third of your crowd of 8,000 leaves at the half, you are going to try anything to try to hit on something that might just keep the person there. Because at this time, the games themselves as evidence has shown recently, has not been enough.

I think the decision to stay so vanilla offensively in this game was probably a good one. BHSU runs a 3-3 scheme with a lot of movement and the coaches probably felt they would do as Drake did and send a bunch of exotic blitzes, cause pass blocking issues, and expose weaknesses on film. So the decision was made to just pound the ball at BHSU, which worked so well that the first four TD runs by UND were on the same exact run play to the same side of the formation.

I also like the fact that Bradley has only thrown one interception in 97 attempts so far this year. I thought his big weakness would be carelessness with the ball after what he did as a JUCO but that has not been the case. So obviously ball security is being preached to him by the coaches and it seems to be getting through to him. He is going to have to start making more plays as the season progresses, but at least he isn't hurting the team to this point with bad decisions.