SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's New Hockey Conference

Cratter

NCHC should tell the Notre Dame to shi* or get off the pot. They have a couple good years in the last 30 and suddenly they are going to keep everyone waiting until they weigh all their options? Take Western and wish Bowling Green and Notre Dame good luck. End of rant...

+1 for you my friend. I could not agree more. They may be king in Football but they aren't in Hockey and if they are going to "sit on the pot" then tell them to bad.

• Upvote 3

I am going to say please no...

Notre Dame continues to drag its feet on the matter, creating more speculation and rumors. The bottom line is the Irish have a lot of say in how the landscape evolves from here.

The NCHC presumably would like an even number of teams.

The NCHC wants Notre Dame, but the Irish want the best television deal and that seems to be a speed bump.

Should Notre Dame join, WMU would likely follow. Should the Irish go independent, the plot thickens.

WMU would remain in the mix, but the NCHC would then like an eighth team and rumor has it, St. Cloud State, who recently made a large investment in its hockey program, has been in the closed-door conversations.

I thought the whole point of starting the NCHC was to get away from schools like SCSU. If this happens, what is the difference between the new NCHC and where the WCHA was? We could have just as well stayed in the WCHA and kicked out McLeod.

I would go for BGSU over SCSU any day. At least they are full DI, bring a sliver of name recognition and it would keep them with their MAC brothers. SCSU is a joke of a school. Besides, their president already said they weren't interested in the NCHC and wouldn't accept an invitation anyways. :silly:

I thought the whole point of starting the NCHC was to get away from schools like SCSU. If this happens, what is the difference between the new NCHC and where the WCHA was? We could have just as well stayed in the WCHA and kicked out McLeod.

I would go for BGSU over SCSU any day. At least they are full DI, bring a sliver of name recognition and it would keep them with their MAC brothers. SCSU is a joke of a school. Besides, their president already said they weren't interested in the NCHC and wouldn't accept an invitation anyways. :silly:

Heck I would rather have Bemidji State than St cloud. BSU has a new arena and I believe committed to hockey. I know the St Cloud fans will say but or National Concrete Center is going through some upgrades. They only reason they are even still in the conversation is due to Gino G.

Saw this posted on GPL and thought it was interesting.

One 16-year-old local hockey player who's headed for the U.S. National Development Program in Ann Arbor, Mich., said he's already narrowed his college choices to Minnesota-Duluth and North Dakota and is passing on the Gophers because they're moving to what he considers an inferior conference - the Big Ten - in 2013.

Source - Charley Walters (Pioneer Press)

• Upvote 2

I don't get it either, I am tired of reading comments on my blog and over on USCHO of angry SCSU fans that think their program is equal or just as good Miami, I don't remember SCSU almost winning an NCAA title. I would rather like to see WMU, ND and or BSU, BGSU in the NCHC.

How many kids are there from Minnesota playing in Ann Arbor that are 16? Should be able to figure out who it is, so it sounds like either Walters or this kid has an axe to grind. I wouldn't exactly classify any league with Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and even Michigan State as inferior, just as I certainly wouldn't classify the NCHC as "the Secondary Six" as another person with an axe to grind suggests.

How many kids are there from Minnesota playing in Ann Arbor that are 16? Should be able to figure out who it is, so it sounds like either Walters or this kid has an axe to grind. I wouldn't exactly classify any league with Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and even Michigan State as inferior, just as I certainly wouldn't classify the NCHC as "the Secondary Six" as another person with an axe to grind suggests.

That Secondary Six comment is moronic... I never got the hate that some hold for the NCHC teams.

OK first caveat, Walters is a stark raving idiot... But I hope he is talking about Hudson Fasching. I also assume that they are not talking about Voltin as that ship has sailed...

Here are the possibilities.

Goaltenders

Hunter Miska 5-10 150 7/7/95 L North Branch, Minn. North Branch High School

Defensemen

44 Clint Lewis 6-2 180 1/12/95 L Burnsville, Minn. Shattuck-St. Mary's U16

Forwards

55 Hudson Fasching 6-3 190 7/28/95 R Burnsville, Minn. Apple Valley High School

I'm not knowledgeable enough about the financial dynamics of which school should or should not be invited to be in the NCHC but I would take St. Cloud over Tech. Sure, Tech has tradition and the McNaughton but St. Cloud is typically a better program, has some good fans, and is upgrading their facility. It's ok not to like St. Cloud, but I think they are a decent program, even if they lack the resources and some of the commitment of programs like UND.

Plus, their location is a lot better for a large % of UND fans that live in MN, vs having to travel to Michigan or Colorado or (insert outstate location here).

I'm not knowledgeable enough about the financial dynamics of which school should or should not be invited to be in the NCHC but I would take St. Cloud over Tech. Sure, Tech has tradition and the McNaughton but St. Cloud is typically a better program, has some good fans, and is upgrading their facility. It's ok not to like St. Cloud, but I think they are a decent program, even if they lack the resources and some of the commitment of programs like UND.

Plus, their location is a lot better for a large % of UND fans that live in MN, vs having to travel to Michigan or Colorado or (insert outstate location here).

A large percentage of us also live in Colorado; don't forget that. SCSU is a joke and they have consistently thrown us under the bus when it came to the Sioux name so I am all for a little extra travel. last year there was just as many Sioux fans in Colorado Springs for the CC series as tyhere was Tiger fans; i was even able to buy a green beer!!

• Upvote 2

A large percentage of us also live in Colorado; don't forget that. SCSU is a joke and they have consistently thrown us under the bus when it came to the Sioux name so I am all for a little extra travel. last year there was just as many Sioux fans in Colorado Springs for the CC series as tyhere was Tiger fans; i was even able to buy a green beer!!

What's your point? Last I checked 2 of 3 CO teams are in the NCHC and AFA is not joining. None of this changes the fact that a large number of UND grads live in or around the Twin Cities/Minnesota.

What's your point? Last I checked 2 of 3 CO teams are in the NCHC and AFA is not joining. None of this changes the fact that a large number of UND grads live in or around the Twin Cities/Minnesota.

My point is that the MPLS market isn't the only main media market the UND touches; that's all. SCSU is still a joke.

Actually, until a court of law declares it unconstitutional, it isn't. Carlson is right in that the University should not be moving forward with actual actions to retire the Fighting Sioux name. They should be moving ahead with developing plans on the course of action to be followed if the law is repealed. If UND were to move ahead with any specific action retiring the name at this point, they open themselves up to a lawsuit by anyone and everyone that they are violating state law. That would waste more money and resources and create more employment for lawyers. Plan to be able to move ahead, but do not execute anything until the law is actually changed. Whether or not you support the law is immaterial. Moving ahead prematurely could just create a whole new set of issues and costs. As individuals and institutions we are not at liberty to choose which laws to obey.

And you are correct. I can't separate the fact that my own personal preferences may leach into my opinions from time to time. I would think, however, that there are more here in MN than in CO. But your point is still valid for the many UND fans in the CO. area.

Just saw this on the Strib:

"One 16-year-old local hockey player who's headed for the U.S. National Development Program in Ann Arbor, Mich., said he's already narrowed his college choices to Minnesota-Duluth and North Dakota and is passing on the Gophers because they're moving to what he considers an inferior conference - the Big Ten - in 2013. "

John

Just saw this on the Strib:

"One 16-year-old local hockey player who's headed for the U.S. National Development Program in Ann Arbor, Mich., said he's already narrowed his college choices to Minnesota-Duluth and North Dakota and is passing on the Gophers because they're moving to what he considers an inferior conference - the Big Ten - in 2013. "

John

Legends, Leaders, and now Losers...

And you are correct. I can't separate the fact that my own personal preferences may leach into my opinions from time to time. I would think, however, that there are more here in MN than in CO. But your point is still valid for the many UND fans in the CO. area.

I know what you mean but I don't see anything advantageous about having SCSU in the NCHC. They are a second rate program no matter how you stack it and I frankly sick of watching us play them four times every season.

I know what you mean but I don't see anything advantageous about having SCSU in the NCHC. They are a second rate program no matter how you stack it and I frankly sick of watching us play them four times every season.

I agree, this NCHC is HUGE, we don't NEED anyone at this point, perhaps we wait for a future program that would bring national exposure like Iowa State, St. Thomas, Marquette, Colorado, Texas, or a PAC 10 school.