SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

So "Badlanders" is popular in the Fargo newspapers unscientific survey. 

Does UND Aerospace want to be associated with the name bad landers? 

Looks like Roughriders is closing in as they are both at 10% now. Assuming North Dakota is not an option because I don't think it should be let's just go with those top three of Badlanders, Roughriders, North Stars and end this committee stuff. Time to figure this out and get to a vote. Still think Roughriders wins a vote, but i'm fine with any of those 3.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Looks like Roughriders is closing in as they are both at 10% now. Assuming North Dakota is not an option because I don't think it should be let's just go with those top three of Badlanders, Roughriders, North Stars and end this committee stuff. Time to figure this out and get to a vote. Still think Roughriders wins a vote, but i'm fine with any of those 3.

No way Badlanders AND Roughriders both make the final ballot.

• Upvote 1

No way Badlanders AND Roughriders both make the final ballot.

I've seen Roughriders as a top 3 choice in an unofficial SS poll, Herald Poll, and Fargo Forum poll. Not sure how many more unofficial polls I need to see to tell me that it is at least a top 3 choice among fans. As for Badlanders there is plenty worse on there and if the Forum poll is a good indicator I am fine with that name if it's on the ballot. 

In my mind these polls are actually a good thing for the committee to look at. Gives them an idea of what some of the fans top choices are. Not counting just North Dakota as like I mentioned it shouldn't even be up for consideration. 

So let me get this straight if UND was called the University of North Dakota Roughriders or whatever it would actually cause you to move to a different town? I'm sorry, but if that is true maybe it is time to find some new hobbies. Folks, it a nickname at a University, I have lived and breathed Fighting Sioux most of my live, but the day it starts getting to you this much is a little troubling. It's a nickname, its not life or death, it won't change your day to day lives, and it won't change much at UND or UND events other than what the team is called and some new traditions that develop over time. 

Just a little perspective for those that are letting this get to them that much.

Haha true, but you're a hoops fan. :)

I'd rather have Blackhawks on there than Badlanders. What would a Badlanders logo even look like??

Everyone out west must be voting for Badlanders.  It's only applicable to less than half the state.  North Dakota is a strong 1st.  This is scary stuff, couldn't imagine cheering for some of those nicknames.

IF "North Dakota" makes the final cut for a public vote, it will win in a landslide.  (I still don't think that UND can legally go by that, but that's a whole other discussion).  If "North Dakota" is not on the list and  "Roughriders" is, I think that we will be called the University of North Dakota Roughriders.  There aren't many other names that have as much name recognition and public support than Roughriders.

IF "North Dakota" makes the final cut for a public vote, it will win in a landslide.  (I still don't think that UND can legally go by that, but that's a whole other discussion).  If "North Dakota" is not on the list and  "Roughriders" is, I think that we will be called the University of North Dakota Roughriders.  There aren't many other names that have as much name recognition and public support than Roughriders.

I would agree with this. Don't think North Dakota ends up on the ballot though for many reasons. I know a few on the committee and I don't see them letting it happen. They know what is best for UND.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I would agree with this. Don't think North Dakota ends up on the ballot though for many reasons. I know a few on the committee and I don't see them letting it happen. They know what is best for UND.

I would disagree with this comment.  If remaining North Dakota is not on the list, this whole thing is a farce as it is a majority opinion that it be included from the polls and the suggestions to the committee.  I know one person, hand selected by Kelley, will likely lobby for North Dakota not being on the list.  I stated before, any nickname should be good enough to beat remaining North Dakota by a vote.  If it does not, we remain North Dakota, which is the official change of nickname required by the NCAA.  I would not oppose them trademarking a phrase such as, "Force of the North", but not as an official nickname.   It obviously was used already on a few sports posters in the 2005-2007 years, and would be OK with me.

Bottom line, to suggest "what is best for UND" is just an opinion.  It is likely due to the "opinion" that a nickname and new logo will bring in more money for UND, which is Kelley's progressive view and is just that, an opinion.  Whose to say that the marketing group could not come up with a North Dakota trademarked script or logo, or the trademarked phrase like "Force of the North" that would do better than anything else.

My wife is part native American and loved the nickname "Fighting Sioux", but was disgusted that Cavalry made the list.  She saw nothing beneficial and thought folks would vote for it as a slap in the face of the NCAA and also native americans (which a majority was in favor of the nickname).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I would disagree with this comment.  If remaining North Dakota is not on the list, this whole thing is a farce as it is a majority opinion that it be included from the polls and the suggestions to the committee.  I know one person, hand selected by Kelley, will likely lobby for North Dakota not being on the list.  I stated before, any nickname should be good enough to beat remaining North Dakota by a vote.  If it does not, we remain North Dakota, which is the official change of nickname required by the NCAA.  I would not oppose them trademarking a phrase such as, "Force of the North", but not as an official nickname.   It obviously was used already on a few sports posters in the 2005-2007 years, and would be OK with me.

Bottom line, to suggest "what is best for UND" is just an opinion.  It is likely due to the "opinion" that a nickname and new logo will bring in more money for UND, which is Kelley's progressive view and is just that, an opinion.  Whose to say that the marketing group could not come up with a North Dakota trademarked script or logo, or the trademarked phrase like "Force of the North" that would do better than anything else.

I still have yet to see anything that could remotely be considered accurate that claims the "majority" opinion is to remain North Dakota.  What group are you basing this off of?  Alumni, donors, season ticket holders, anonymous internet comments?

If it does not, we remain North Dakota, which is the official change of nickname required by the NCAA. 

Did the NCAA come out with some sort of ruling that clarified this?  The wording of the settlement agreement is definitely open for debate.  I personally don't see how dropping Fighting Sioux and then doing nothing further can be considered "adopting a new nickname".  Not have a nickname is definitely not adopting something and North Dakota is clearly not new.  It also leaves Fighting Sioux as the de facto nickname and UND continues to wallow in the same mess it is trying to get out of.

Are you kidding me? If this almighty committee knows what's best for UND, why even bother with the public vote? The public certainly can't know what's BEST for UND like the anointed ones?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I still have yet to see anything that could remotely be considered accurate that claims the "majority" opinion is to remain North Dakota.  What group are you basing this off of?  Alumni, donors, season ticket holders, anonymous internet comments?

Did the NCAA come out with some sort of ruling that clarified this?  The wording of the settlement agreement is definitely open for debate.  I personally don't see how dropping Fighting Sioux and then doing nothing further can be considered "adopting a new nickname".  Not have a nickname is definitely not adopting something and North Dakota is clearly not new.  It also leaves Fighting Sioux as the de facto nickname and UND continues to wallow in the same mess it is trying to get out of.

Well I guess we cannot let facts get in the way.  Please look at the number of recommendations to the committee that had North Dakota, or some form thereof as the lead option (other than remaining Fighting Sioux).  There is fact #1 regarding a majority view.  Also, look at the Forum poll which has remaining North Dakota as the majority opinion.  Facts are on my side.  As far as the NCAA goes, there is legal jargon involved, but officially making it North Dakota would satisfy the requirement.  I stated that we could trademark a slogan such as "Force of the North" to be used.  It does not have to be a nickname.  I stated it already had been used on a couple of occasions already by the University.

WTH is with this comment?! Joke....I hope?

No joke, that is my opinion. I don't think it is in the best interest of UND to just stay North Dakota just so people can hang onto the Fighting Sioux name. I love the Fighting Sioux name but it's time to move on. As for the committee, I have no idea what they will actually do or actually think just know a lot of them want what is  best for UND and in my opinion moving onto a new nickname is best. I am certainly not alone in that opinion.

Well I guess we cannot let facts get in the way.  Please look at the number of recommendations to the committee that had North Dakota, or some form thereof as the lead option (other than remaining Fighting Sioux).  There is fact #1 regarding a majority view.  Also, look at the Forum poll which has remaining North Dakota as the majority opinion.  Facts are on my side.  As far as the NCAA goes, there is legal jargon involved, but officially making it North Dakota would satisfy the requirement.  I stated that we could trademark a slogan such as "Force of the North" to be used.  It does not have to be a nickname.  I stated it already had been used on a couple of occasions already by the University.

This suggestion is very reasonable. Many such as me do not want to assume an identity with which UND has no tradition. NDSU and USD are unofficially the thundering herd and the howling pack. There is something for everyone staying North Dakota and adopting a casual slogan.