SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

I am acutely aware of that, but apparently it doesn't bother the committee.  And it's easily the most marketable remaining name.  

Marketing our University as the North Stars (Minnesota's motto) is easier than marketing UND as the Roughriders with ND being the Roughrider State, having the Roughrider award, etc???  Are you sure you work in marketing?

I like the North Star name a little bit.  Yes, it is MN's motto but no one truly pays attention to that (may some old timers :) )  It is a pretty cool nickname that is currently not used.

I know some other GF people are warming up to it however North Dakota is still a strong first.  In full disclosure, I do not like the RR idea as our local high school has had that for a long time now, however, if that was chosen it wouldn't be the end of the world for me.  I just like ND and NS slightly more.

Time for someone on the committee to step up and take North Dakota off the list. Shouldn't be an option. This committee needs to think about the long term effects that has on UND. Don't care what the hockey only fans or the hockey only writers think, would be a big mistake for the school. Roughriders or Cavalry will do just fine. Time to move on.

I've been accused of being a "hockey only" fan, but I agree with you. 

• Upvote 1

I like the North Star name a little bit.  Yes, it is MN's motto but no one truly pays attention to that (may some old timers :) )  It is a pretty cool nickname that is currently not used.

I know some other GF people are warming up to it however North Dakota is still a strong first.  In full disclosure, I do not like the RR idea as our local high school has had that for a long time now, however, if that was chosen it wouldn't be the end of the world for me.  I just like ND and NS slightly more.

North Stars isn't a horrible name, however, from a national perspective, more people are going to think we "borrowed" the name from the now defunct Minnesota North Stars than are going to think we ripped off a local high school.  Anyone outside of ND and a few places in Minnesota have no idea Red River High School exists, let alone they are called the Roughriders.

As for Roughriders, if you guys want Roughriders you can have it.  You can wear dungarees and accompany your flappers to the game, perhaps even sneaking in some hooch. 

You know, the way you put it actually sounds like a lot of fun.

Go Ridas!!! 

One thing that must be looked at now is figuring out a potential logo that will go with each name.  I really hope that the committee is considering this, or at least the consultant they are paying thousands of dollars is considering this as well moving forward.  So what the logo's be for these nicknames left?

Blaze - a flame?  our colors are green white and black.  So a green flame?

Cavalry - Teddy Roosevelt.  Man on a horse with a sword...

Explorers - Lewis and Clark?

Fighting Green - ?????

Fighting Hawks - some variation of a hawk.  has many options

Force - ????

Green Hawks - some variationg of a hawk that is green, again many options

Nodaks - current interlocking ND is really the only one that would work

North Dakota - surrent interlocking ND I guess.  or a current alternate logo we already have.  Nothing to exciting.

North Stars - Old Minnesota North star logo? (probably can't use)  A star?

Pride - only option is some sort of lion mascot

Roughriders - Teddy Roosevelt, man on a horse (similar to options for Cavalry)

Spirit - ???????

Sundogs - a raibow around a piece of ice?!!!!

Thunderhawks - what the hell is a thunderhawk

You know, the way you put it actually sounds like a lot of fun.

Go Ridas!!! 

Actually, now that you mention it, it does.

I bet the NCAA would then end up having another problem with the fact that your football team is playing without helmets, though.

footballboys.jpg

"Cooling off period can be extended".  LOL.  I think we are all ice cold by now.  

'North Dakota' is not marketable, as merchandise sales have shown.  Solely using Notre Dame's logo for our marketing/merchandising is a great way to insure we keep our revenues down.  

The "ND" logo will always be around, just as it has always been around before.  But using it by itself has proven to be "meh".  

If you think that Sun Dogs is more marketable than North Dakota, your are a moron. I would buy North Dakota gear, I would even consider buying new gear with a new nickname. In no way, shape or form will I EVER buy something that says North Dakota Sun Dogs.

F-ing Ridiculous

So nobody will pay attention to the fact that we are using another state's motto, but using a high school's name is out of the questions? Not very sound logic there.

Also, look at the list of the nicknames left and tell me which names fit into the criteria laid out by the commitee? .

• Be unique, recognizable, inspiring, and distinctly UND’s;
  • Promote a sense of pride, strength, fierceness, and passion;
  • Be representative of the state and region in a way that honors the traditions and heritage of the past but also looks to the future; and
  • Be a unifying and rallying symbol.

To me there are only 2 names that fit all the criteria laid out by the committee.  Roughriders and Cavalry.  The rest have no unique ties to the state AT ALL!!  So choosing between those, the best option IMO is Roughriders.  And from a marketing standpoint, there are some great options for a logo and mascot.  

• Upvote 1

If you think that Sun Dogs is more marketable than North Dakota, your are a moron. I would buy North Dakota gear, I would even consider buying new gear with a new nickname. In no way, shape or form will I EVER buy something that says North Dakota Sun Dogs.

F-ing Ridiculous

If you think 'North Dakota' and "ND" logo are going away after we get a nickname, then you are a f'ing moron.  They will be around also, just like that last 50 years.  Except now there will be multiple marketing options, just like before.  And they might actually make money again.  

• Downvote 1

If you think 'North Dakota' and "ND" logo are going away after we get a nickname, then you are a f'ing moron.  They will be around also just like that last 50 years.  Except now there are multiple marketing options, just like before.  And they might actually make money again.  

You know what would be really, really fun?  To go with North Dakota and then end up doing this whole process over again in a few years.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Actually, now that you mention it, it does.

I bet the NCAA would then end up having another problem with the fact that your football team is playing without helmets, though.

footballboys.jpg

Naw, if we all played without helmets we'd end up thinking up nicknames like Ermines.  

That would be a disaster!

North Stars isn't a horrible name, however, from a national perspective, more people are going to think we "borrowed" the name from the now defunct Minnesota North Stars than are going to think we ripped off a local high school.  Anyone outside of ND and a few places in Minnesota have no idea Red River High School exists, let alone they are called the Roughriders.

I obviously understand that.  But I am from that area so it seems funny to me.  As you are most likely not from there I understand your point of view as well. This is simply my point of view.

If you think 'North Dakota' and "ND" logo are going away after we get a nickname, then you are a f'ing moron.  They will be around also, just like that last 50 years.  Except now there will be multiple marketing options, just like before.  And they might actually make money again.  

Never said they were going away, but in no way will Sun Dogs be a marketable name or logo. I'm sure the Bison and Gopher fans will have a blast with it though.

You know what would be really, really fun?  To go with North Dakota and then end up doing this whole process over again in a few years.

Why would they do it again in 5 years. If they choose North Dakota, thats what it will be. If they choose Roughriders, thats what it will be.