SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

Norse (noun): Norwegians or Scandinavians, especially in medieval times.

"Colleges and universities may adopt any mascot that they wish, as that is an institutional matter," said Walter Harrison, chair of the Executive Committee and president at the University of Hartford. "But as a national association, we (the NCAA) believe that mascots, nicknames or images deemed hostile or abusive in terms of race, ethnicity or national origin should not be visible at the championship events that we control."

Norse would be fine ... except for that ... and the fact that we just came out of that brier patch. 

Norse (noun): Norwegians or Scandinavians, especially in medieval times.

"Colleges and universities may adopt any mascot that they wish, as that is an institutional matter," said Walter Harrison, chair of the Executive Committee and president at the University of Hartford. "But as a national association, we (the NCAA) believe that mascots, nicknames or images deemed hostile or abusive in terms of race, ethnicity or national origin should not be visible at the championship events that we control."

Norse would be fine ... except for that ... and the fact that we just came out of that brier patch.

How will cavalry or Roughriders ever pass the smell test then? Granted they don't explicitly name an ethnicity, but everyone knows who they were, and what they did.

The list is steadily being whittled down to Sparkly Unicorns or Snowy Coldsnaps.

They would accept Norse because there is already at least one college that uses it Luther College - a small DIII college in Iowa (which I do not see as a deal breaker). being of Norwegian decent I like it (and thus would not organize a walk around campus in protest). But the North Dakota Norse doesn't exactly slide on the tounge (unless you pronouce it Norsk - however North Dakota NOR-SKI does :).

They would accept Norse because there is already at least one college that uses it Luther College - a small DIII college in Iowa (which I do not see as a deal breaker). being of Norwegian decent I like it (and thus would not organize a walk around campus in protest).

All it would take is one angry Norwegian.  :crazy:

They would accept Norse because there is already at least one college that uses it Luther College - a small DIII college in Iowa (which I do not see as a deal breaker). being of Norwegian decent I like it (and thus would not organize a walk around campus in protest). But the North Dakota Fighting Norse doesn't exactly slide on the tounge (unless you pronouce it Norsk - however North Dakota NOR-SKI does :).

sounds better already

• Upvote 1

From another thread:

What if he averages 12 YPC and unicorns and flying pigs storm the Alerus?

The UND Flying Pigs!

"Soo-ee! Woo Pigs!"

Logo? Easy, just change the sunglasses to green*:

flyingpig.gif

*The hog is pink already, pink is the other official academic color of UND. ;)

• Upvote 1

The nickname committee has been selected. 17 people, four of them alumni. I'm not sure what the demographics of the other 13 people are but I'm hoping the majority are students. Their job is to submit nickname candidates to the president who will have the final decision. Should be an official announcement next week. 

The nickname committee has been selected. 17 people, four of them alumni. I'm not sure what the demographics of the other 13 people are but I'm hoping the majority are students. Their job is to submit nickname candidates to the president who will have the final decision. Should be an official announcement next week. 

Weird. They must have just assumed I'd accept the invitation.

• Upvote 1

We need a new president sooner than I thought.....

• Upvote 2

I sure hope you're kidding. If not, so much for an open and inclusive process.