SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

It is quite early to be talking about a new nickname, given the fact that we legally cannot have one for another 3 years, and also I'm confident that the likes of Reed Soderstrom, Sean Johnson (the bad one, not the good one), and Frank Burgraaf will likely throw a wrench into the process at some point.

But looking to the future, here are my favorites in order amongst the many that have been put forward:

Reapers

Fighting Saints

Cavalry

Nokotas

The biggest problem I have with Cavalry is that we certainly be known as "The Cavs"..................

Nokotas is an intriguing and unique name, but I fear the logo would end up looking something like this, only with a green hue to it:

Denver%20Broncos%20logo.jpg

Outlaws or Bandits seem to fit the state well...

I think Cavalry is the one mentioned here that I like the best so far. It is unique and it related to our state's history.

Except that 90% of the people get Cavalry and Calvary mixed up. Besides, it's obvious you are just trying to poke at the Tribal Nations.

got a buddy of mine that is pretty good at logo's so he is working on making a new hockey jersey with the norse name and a norse warrior head...this (profile pic) is something he just threw to together to ask me if this is what i was looking for....can't wait to see the end result with an original "fighting norse" logo on a hockey jersey

Except that 90% of the people get Cavalry and Calvary mixed up. Besides, it's obvious you are just trying to poke at the Tribal Nations.

Jesse Taken Alive recommended "Rough Riders". Given that, Jesse seems to be just fine with that motif.

got a buddy of mine that is pretty good at logo's so he is working on making a new hockey jersey with the norse name and a norse warrior head...this (profile pic) is something he just threw to together to ask me if this is what i was looking for....can't wait to see the end result with an original "fighting norse" logo on a hockey jersey

Why use Norse when there are more Germans in North Dakota than Norwegians by far.

No one owns the word/name Outlaws... Teams using Outlaws likely own their logo and any trademarked design using the team name. NHL Edmonton and NFL Houston both used the name Oilers at the same time so I don't believe you can copyright words that are in common use. You lawyer types would know the distinction...I know the made-up word 'three-peat' was trademarked by Pat Riley (hate him), not sure where that fits in the discussion but just wanted to take a shot at the Miami Heat.

Why use Norse when there are more Germans in North Dakota than Norwegians by far.

It's about as similar to the word sioux as your gonna get and i think the marketing opportunities are endless when it comes to making money for the athletic department...i do like some others around here but in the long run Fighting Norse is my favorite by far.

Norse=Sioux--five letters

here comes your fighting norsssssssssssssssssssssse scoring works

hockey jersey would look almost exactly the same as the old sioux jerseys if ben brien did the new norsehead logo

a mjonir would a great secondary logo---would look nice crossed over on the shoulder of the new hockey jersey like the old crossed tomahawks....

a student dressed up like thor would be a cool mascot..(no thunder the bleacher creature tho)!!

plus its an in ur face to the pc crown where one logo is h&a and the other is perfectly fine?

i do like reapers, plainsman (gender issues with the man ending?), and cavalry also..

It's about as similar to the word sioux as your gonna get and i think the marketing opportunities are endless when it comes to making money for the athletic department...i do like some others around here but in the long run Fighting Norse is my favorite by far.

Norse=Sioux--five letters

here comes your fighting norsssssssssssssssssssssse scoring works

hockey jersey would look almost exactly the same as the old sioux jerseys if ben brien did the new norsehead logo

a mjonir would a great secondary logo---would look nice crossed over on the shoulder of the new hockey jersey like the old crossed tomahawks....

a student dressed up like thor would be a cool mascot..(no thunder the bleacher creature tho)!!

plus the in your face to the pc crown that one log is h&a and the other is perfectly fine?

i like reapers, plainsman (don't like it ending in "man" bc of the gender thing", and cavalry

Get Bennett Brien to create a "Norse" logo that looks very similar to the Sioux logo....You are either on to something or on something!!! Not sure what I think??!!

How much would it cost to purchase the "North Stars" nickname and logo? "North Dakota North Stars" sounds cool and the colours are already there. Pony up some oil dough and buy it as opposed to coming up with something entirely bland and stupid.

• Upvote 2