SiouxSports.com Forum

POLL: Should UND-NDSU Resume the Football Series?

ShilohSioux

220 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND and NDSU Resume the Football Series?

• Yes, play the game annually
    • On occassion, but not annually
    • No, we've gone our separate ways so let's focus on building new rivalries

I took the timing of the article to mean he's come to the opinion which so many NDSU fans have espoused here- that NDSU just doesn't need the game.

Presumably Bakken disagreed with that premise before? I'm just not sure how many UND fans he speaks for anymore.

The only thing that could force an annual renewal of this game is if both schools wound up in the same conference, and currently that seems very unlikely. But, who knows how FBS/FCS will be organized in 5 years. My guess is niether UND or NDSU will ever be in anything less than the level right below the AQ schools in FBS if there is a shakeup. I thinkall fans and administrators agree that the long stay in D2 was a mistake for both schools.

• Upvote 1

Would Bison fans agree to a home and home but not right away, because I would like UND to do a Dakota 3 rotation, we just played SDSU, next is USD, then we play at NDSU, then rotate (one Dakota team a year) at SDSU, at USD then vs NDSU, so say 2015 (at NDSU) then maybe 2018 for the return game. By that time the Super 5 should have split and the new FBS (other FBS and upper FCS conferences) should have merged.

The only thing that could force an annual renewal of this game is if both schools wound up in the same conference, and currently that seems very unlikely. But, who knows how FBS/FCS will be organized in 5 years. My guess is niether UND or NDSU will ever be in anything less than the level right below the AQ schools in FBS if there is a shakeup. I thinkall fans and administrators agree that the long stay in D2 was a mistake for both schools.

The only people that keep talking about an annual game are NDSUAAS fans. They use it as an excuse to not play any games. UND accepted the idea of games every other year. They were ready to sign a contract well over a year ago. Taylor originally proposed the every other year idea, now he won't even consider it.

As far as the rest of your post, several people on this forum have been saying the same thing for months.

• Upvote 2

LOL.......a lot of denial on this thread. If Bakken can finally get it, I would suspect most UND fans can figure it out too.

Right now NDSU football is flying high. Under the present circumstances it's true that NDSU doesn't need UND in football, but NDSU may need UND in selected other sports. I'm quite content at this point to let the football ride. Since there are cycles to almost everything, it would be most interesting if some day in the not-to-distant future if the shoe might be on the other foot. Even Nebraska with its proud and stirring football history had some "dead" years before the Huskers hired Bob Devaney to restore life into the program. When Devaney was introdued as coach wasn't there a rallying cry something to the effect of, "Get off your fanny and help Bob Devaney"?

This thread is now approximately 2 and a half years old, 147 pages long, has had nearly 3,000 replies, and is still on the front page of the Football Forum. Obviously there is alot of interest from both sides.

Getting back to the original question that was posed so long ago: Should the Football series be resumed?

I will reaffirm my answer of NO, and list the following reasons (in no particular order):

• I just don't miss the game. I love football, any football, don't really care who the opponent is. If they do agree to play, great. I'll go. But I go to every game, anyways. Both schools are treated to some pretty nice matchups due to the conferences they play in.
  • The possibility of only meeting in the playoffs is intriguing. It may never happen. Or it may happen every other year at some point. But if the first time that the two schools play again is in the playoffs, that will be one crazy scene.
  • Not playing in football enhances the rivalry in other sports. The rest of the sports that they do play in come under a bigger microscope, and get more attention with the absence of the football game. Basketball at both schools (specifically women's) needs a boost to energize the fans. Sioux-Bison games do that. I'm very impressed by the interest, attendance, intensity at the most recent Volleyball matches between the two both in GF and Fargo.

Just my two cents..................

• Upvote 3

I just posted this same thing on bisonville, I think it hits the nail on the head on how I (and perhaps others) view UND Football with regard to rivalry.

Since when do you need to HATE your rival? I have rivals at work that I think very highly of, they motivate me to be better by being good themselves. I wish them no ill will but I want to beat their sales numbers every single week.... and the competition is fierce. Even beyond that I have rivals at competing insurance companies that I know very well (I trained some of them) that I also want to beat every time I am head to head with them on competitive bids. On things that we don't compete on I wish them the best.

That is exactly how I treat SDSU (and SHSU for that matter). UND I have an absolute hatred for and I want them to fail at everything (except this week against MSU) football related. But just because I hate them doesn't make them my rival. I hate my ex-wife but I don't consider her a rival because I know that no matter how hard she tries she'll never have what I have and she now knows that she made a bad mistake by parting ways with me (she's filed bankruptcy 2 times in the past 13 years... that is the tip of the iceberg of her !@#$ ups however). So in a way I think of UND much like I think of my ex-wife: Some bitch that once had a meaningful purpose in my life but since I've moved on I'm glad I don't have to put up with her !@#$ anymore. But it's still fun rubbing it in her face when good !@#$ happens to me.

• Upvote 1

I just posted this same thing on bisonville, I think it hits the nail on the head on how I (and perhaps others) view UND Football with regard to rivalry.

Bison fans will ALWAYS think they don't need UND that they've moved on and SDSU (or UNI) is their rival. UND will ALWAYS, ALWAYS be NDSU's rival, whether you want to believe it or not. How many Bison fans troll on the SDSU message boards? How many Bison fans chant Jacks suck at games where the Jacks aren't even there? How was SDSU received at ESPN's Gameday compared to a UND fan? NDSU fans may want to block us from memory but I guarantee you this, anything, and I mean anything positive that comes out of UND either an upset of EWU, a Cinderella playoff run, or even putting up a new facility (IPF or stadium) NDSU fans will always be there to comment and compare. You cannot erase two schools battling each other since Fargo got a college in 1890 (and football since 1894). We may be in difference conferences, play different teams, but our hatred will always be there once the spotlight is on one school or the other.

So when are the other athletic programs at FU going to move on as well? Did someone not give them the memo?

Didn't you hear after football, no one cares. There is very little support for Saul Phillips' men's basketball team (fans holding out until the SHAC is complete and they move into the MVC), and there is NO support for the women's teams anymore as they suck. At NDSU its all football, and nothing (even crime) is going to stop them from being the best.

Didn't you hear after football, no one cares. There is very little support for Saul Phillips' men's basketball team (fans holding out until the SHAC is complete and they move into the MVC), and there is NO support for the women's teams anymore as they suck. At NDSU its all football, and nothing (even crime) is going to stop them from being the best.

This coming from a und fan that has all their sports in LAST place in the conference last year.....

Thats weird....our basketball attendance(while not great by any means) is fine...especially when you look at the building they play in.

I don't think UND fans are in any position to smack NDSU on fan support...

So when are the other athletic programs at FU going to move on as well? Did someone not give them the memo?

Honestly, I don't care about most of the other sports. I've attended a few wrestling matches and a baseball game. Basketball bores me to tears regardless of who is playing. If they want to play UND, I don't care. You and I both know that the rivalry/hatred was built on the football field. I've heard that the number of people showing up for the NDSU v UND basketball games has been decreasing as well since they restarted so that is further proof to me that the rivalry is not what it once was. I'd rather watch UND hockey than any other sport that NDSU offers (aside from football of course).

However, others may not share my point of view on the other sports. But consider that there are only 11 total games in a typical FB season and our fanbase would be PISSED if we didn't have: 6 home games PLUS an FBS game every year and getting a home & home contract between the two schools is unlikely. Now, if UND wants to come down and collect a check next year, I have no problem with that, I just don't think we NEED the return trip at this point in our program. Other programs have way more games and way more openings on the schedule.

Thats weird....our basketball attendance(while not great by any means) is fine...especially when you look at the building they play in.

I don't think UND fans are in any position to smack NDSU on fan support...

Fans go your #1 sport same with us. UND's #2 sport out draws your #2 sport. Hell the Fargo Force outdraws Bison basketball. I wouldn't brag about that garage they play in or that elementary school gym the volleyball team plays in.