SiouxSports.com Forum

POLL: Should UND-NDSU Resume the Football Series?

ShilohSioux

220 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND and NDSU Resume the Football Series?

• Yes, play the game annually
    • On occassion, but not annually
    • No, we've gone our separate ways so let's focus on building new rivalries

UND isnt a priority so I cant answer your question the way you want me to. I also dont agree with many who dont want the game. I would like to see the game played. But I also understand scheduling issues and our priorities of playing FBS games and having 5-6 home games.

You still havent answered my question on whether there is proof the Faison has sent GT a contract for one game that you said had been sent? If not then you need to retract your statement.

So I take that as a "yes NDSU would stop the rivalry in favor of those home games because UND is NOT a conference member and will take a backseat". As for your other statement. Faison said he was sending the contract to GT...ask him not me whether he sent it or not if you are really that curious.

So I take that as a "yes NDSU would stop the rivalry in favor of those home games because UND is NOT a conference member and will take a backseat". As for your other statement. Faison said he was sending the contract to GT...ask him not me whether he sent it or not if you are really that curious.

You guys ever wondered why both your biggest rivals could care less if they play you or not. Think about it.

Ok, so please show me where they list the tickets sold number. Until I see one I guess you expect me to believe that every ticket is sold? I can claim UND sold every ticket to all home football games but it wasn't full because attendance just didn't quite match up.

I do know that after 12,200 season tickets they had a number of single game tickets that were available. Those sold out within 24 hours. Were there other tickets? Yes. For recruits, players families, staff and visiting alumni etc. But those numbers were small. So yes every game was sold out. If you are looking for numbers may I suggest you call the NDSU ticket office. They should be able to give you the specifics that you desire.

I didnt say yes.

If it makes you feel better have at it.

As far as the contract I dont care whether they have sent one or not. I just like accuracy when someone makes a statement. I understand you folks are upset that GT wont let you bully him in to a game. YOU have to understand that NDSU has their own agenda just like UND did when they initially cancelled the rivalry. Much has changed since then. It has been explained many times why UND isnt on the schedule. You can take it how ever you please. But I can pretty much say that UND wont be on the schedule unless GT and the powers that be see where playing UND will be beneficial to NDSU. Obviously at this time they dont see a benefit. I know thats hard for you to swallow. But it is what it is.

You guys ever wondered why both your biggest rivals could care less if they play you or not. Think about it.

For NDSU during the last 10 years of the series:

28-21

12-6

19-7

13-16

13-10

39-25

10-31

33-19

21-7

34-13

For UM up to when they announced they wouldn't play UND:

4-1

2-3

4-1

2-4

6-0

1-5

3-3

3-3

4-0

6-1

6-3

1-1

2-1

3-4

4-2

3-2

2-3

7-3

5-3

I doubt it's a coincidence that neither team wants to play UND after both NDSU football and UM hockey didn't perform as well as expected.

• Upvote 1

Says who? Gene Taylor, yes, Don Lucia yes, some Bison and Gophers fans yes....Dom Izzo and the Fargo media no, Paul Allen and the Minneapolis media no, some Bison and Gophers fans no. So think about that.

I didnt say yes.

If it makes you feel better have at it.

As far as the contract I dont care whether they have sent one or not. I just like accuracy when someone makes a statement. I understand you folks are upset that GT wont let you bully him in to a game. YOU have to understand that NDSU has their own agenda just like UND did when they initially cancelled the rivalry. Much has changed since then. It has been explained many times why UND isnt on the schedule. You can take it how ever you please. But I can pretty much say that UND wont be on the schedule unless GT and the powers that be see where playing UND will be beneficial to NDSU. Obviously at this time they dont see a benefit. I know thats hard for you to swallow. But it is what it is.

What's this YOU talk. You as in me personally, then yes I would like to see UND play NDSU hell every year in fact. I live in Fargo, and with my parents in GF I could easily see UND play NDSU every year. You as in UND fans, some don't care to play (like some Bison fans), but its funny how its the Fargo Media pressing this issue when GT has some sort of scheduling problem.

You keep saying NDSU sells out every game but the attendance figures say otherwise. Any proof these games are actual sellouts?

A sellout requires every seat to be paid for. Sounds like NDSU games to me.

The Missouri Valley never invited North Dakota. UND turned down the Summit Leauge, which doesn't sponsor football, in favor of the the Big Sky conference.

Exactly. UND did the right thing. Make sure football is taken care of. It is the only sport outside of hockey that people pay attention to.

For NDSU during the last 10 years of the series:

28-21

12-6

19-7

13-16

13-10

39-25

10-31

33-19

21-7

34-13

For UM up to when they announced they wouldn't play UND:

4-1

2-3

4-1

2-4

6-0

1-5

3-3

3-3

4-0

6-1

6-3

1-1

2-1

3-4

4-2

3-2

2-3

7-3

5-3

I doubt it's a coincidence that neither team wants to play UND after both NDSU football and UM hockey didn't perform as well as expected.

You just made my point - thank you.

What's this YOU talk. You as in me personally, then yes I would like to see UND play NDSU hell every year in fact. I live in Fargo, and with my parents in GF I could easily see UND play NDSU every year. You as in UND fans, some don't care to play (like some Bison fans), but its funny how its the Fargo Media pressing this issue when GT has some sort of scheduling problem.

Fargo media wants to see the game so they can talk about something. The great thing is that UND fans are becoming harder and harder to find. Borderline cute you guys have a website that includes sports other than hockey(where UND is relevant.)

Do you find that surprising considering some of the media in Fargo has a UND slant to it? Regardless the media is the media. Its there job to stir crap up and make the news as opposed to reporting the news.

Fargo media wants to see the game so they can talk about something. The great thing is that UND fans are becoming harder and harder to find. Borderline cute you guys have a website that includes sports other than hockey(where UND is relevant.)

Its borderline cute that you keep posting on our board.

• Upvote 1

The Missouri Valley never invited North Dakota. UND turned down the Summit Leauge, which doesn't sponsor football, in favor of the the Big Sky conference.

The word from Missouri Valley Football Conference Commissioner Patty Viverito upon offering MVFC membership to USD. The MVFC did not want an 11 team league. Also probably a contributing factor to why Nebraska Omaha dropped football (besides the problems with Nebraska Lincoln throwing their weight around)

U Of South Dakota Football Joining Missouri Valley Conference

"I didn't have the votes to get an 11-team league approved with North Dakota as part of the package," Viverito said.

As much as I would like to see the two teams play, the game isn't happening this year barring Montana buying out their return trip to Grand Forks. UND is not playing 12 games in a row with its only bye week being the final week of the season. NDSU will have to solve this year's scheduling problems with another expensive one-time game.

You still havent answered my question on whether there is proof the Faison has sent GT a contract for one game that you said had been sent? If not then you need to retract your statement.

Dammit darrell, this is the internet. You need proof. Without proof, he's right. Because, well, he knows. ???

Dammit darrell, this is the internet. You need proof. Without proof, he's right. Because, well, he knows. ???

Actually I dont know. Hence my query. If there was proof that Faison had indeed sent the contract for one game and it hasnt been acted on then I would have to question why GT hadnt acted on it. Darryl stated that Faison had sent the contract. If that was so the media would be all over it. But alas there has been no shatstorm in the media in this regard. So I would have to assume that Darryl was wrong and his statement was nothing more than hyperbole with an agenda.

You see I would love to see the rivalry restarted. But if you are going to be accusatory at least try to be factual.

Actually I dont know. Hence my query. If there was proof that Faison had indeed sent the contract for one game and it hasnt been acted on then I would have to question why GT hadnt acted on it. Darryl stated that Faison had sent the contract. If that was so the media would be all over it. But alas there has been no shatstorm in the media in this regard. So I would have to assume that Darryl was wrong and his statement was nothing more than hyperbole with an agenda.

You see I would love to see the rivalry restarted. But if you are going to be accusatory at least try to be factual.

"Until contracts are signed, it's still tentative," he told the Grand Forks Herald. "We'll be sending (NDSU) contract drafts ... the first of next week."

Short of checking GT's mail for him, I guess you should ask Izzo or Kolpack to follow-up and see if it got lost.

• Upvote 1

I can't prove whether or not it was sent, but it was reported in the media that Faison was going to send the same "every other year" contract that Taylor had initially offered back. I believe it was late last summer that this was reported...although not sure on the timeline...

EDIT: Nevermind...I guess "jdub" found the proof you may be looking for...

"Until contracts are signed, it's still tentative," he told the Grand Forks Herald. "We'll be sending (NDSU) contract drafts ... the first of next week."

Short of checking GT's mail for him, I guess you should ask Izzo or Kolpack to follow-up and see if it got lost.

Thanks for finding that. I remember Faison saying he was going to mail them so I assume ( I know you shouldn't assume) that it was mailed.

You don't play this game because it is financially beneficial for one school or the other. You don't play this game because you want to sell tickets for a home game. You do not play this game because you have something to gain. You play this game because it is the biggest rivalry in the biggest sport that the two schools compete in. You play it because there is over 100 years of history of these two schools competing against each other. You play it because the vast majority of fans on both sides want this game to be played. The reasons for this game not being played are well documented and justified. Both sides need to sit down and resolve this and do what the overwhelming majority of fans on both sides want. This rivalry is still alive and well. A 107 page blog with 2130 posts...and counting 10 years after the last time the schools played is proof of that. This games deserves to be played. Whether it is every year, every other year, every 4 years...whatever. But these games need to be played for the sake of the rivalry...which will never die.

Well said. Wish I could rep you.!!!!