SiouxSports.com Forum

And it's begun....

gfhockey

The State needs to be thoroughly prepared for these negotiations well in advance to them taking place. The Governor needs to send the best negotiators to the table and be creative in an attempt to find a resolution that involves UND keeping it's name. With that said, I believe that the NCAA will be unrelenting and use UND as an example as to what happens to institutions that oppose their will.

Sure seems like Shaft is trying to place the blame on someone else and he is trying his best to get rid of the nickname.

Perhaps we see for sale signs in his yard again lol? Member a hearald artice back when people were throwing dog !@#$ and for sale signs in his front yard.

Sure seems like Shaft is trying to place the blame on someone else and he is trying his best to get rid of the nickname.

Perhaps we see for sale signs in his yard again lol? Member a hearald artice back when people were throwing dog !@#$ and for sale signs in his front yard.

It looks like quite the opposite. In my view it is a very smart move. If all the ND players agree to participate, this development should be welcomed by nickname supporters and not mocked.

I should note that vandalism is not "LOL." Though I would hope it goes without saying.

• Upvote 2

It looks like quite the opposite. In my view it is a very smart move. If all the ND players agree to participate, this development should be welcomed by nickname supporters and not mocked.

I should note that vandalism is not "LOL." Though I would hope it goes without saying.

The question is, who is the State Higher Ed board going to invite to be part of this group going to the NCAA? Will they cherry pick who it is again? Are they going to make sure that the proponents are there from Spirit Lake and Standing Rock? I really don't think the proponents will get a fair representation on this delegation based on prior dealings of the State Higher Ed board. I would love the Board to prove me wrong!

The question is, who is the State Higher Ed board going to invite to be part of this group going to the NCAA? Will they cherry pick who it is again? Are they going to make sure that the proponents are there from Spirit Lake and Standing Rock? I really don't think the proponents will get a fair representation on this delegation based on prior dealings of the State Higher Ed board. I would love the Board to prove me wrong!

From the Herald Story

He said the state delegation to meet with NCAA officials should include Higher Education Board President Jon Backes, Chancellor Bill Goetz, UND President Robert Kelley and Athletic Director Brian Faison as well as the governor, attorney general, House Majority Leader Al Carlson, R-Fargo, and Senate Majority Leader Bob Stenehjem, R-Bismarck.

The State needs to be thoroughly prepared for these negotiations well in advance to them taking place. The Governor needs to send the best negotiators to the table and be creative in an attempt to find a resolution that involves UND keeping it's name. With that said, I believe that the NCAA will be unrelenting and use UND as an example as to what happens to institutions that oppose their will.

It's probably of little consequence who the state would send. The NC$$ will probably just nod politely and hold up the "settlement" and end the discussion with a "You can keep your name and logo, and we'll put you back on our H&A list just like we promised.". A state level attempt to turn the NC$$ is laughable at best. It would have been nice if the NoDak congressional delegation had thought attenton whoring was as important as Carlson does, and then the NC$$ may come around.

I saw that, but where are the representatives of Standing Rock and Spirit Lake on that list? They should have gone back to the NCAA upon the vote of Spirit Lake and their resolution.

Spirit Lake maybe. But why would you want anyone from Standing Rock? An opportunity to remind the NCAA which body of legally elected representatives didn't approve the nickname?

In any event, I expect we'll hear very soon just how anxious the new "knights" in this fiasco are to take an active lead role in the very public negotiations with the NCAA. ;)

I think that there are a couple of things that are worth while to remember. First of all the SBoHE is taking postive steps again on behalf of the name. (doesn't matter why) Shaft correctly pointed out that Faison testified as he did based on what he was told by his boss. You can dislike him or criticize him but do it for the right reasons.

Nothing bad can happen because of this effort and I think this is well worth the energy. If we are going to get the NCAA to move on this issue in favor of the name, this is probably the best shot we have. I think the message that everyone involved is going to go as a team in a joint effort is important. I would not include any of the oppontnets. This is a lobbying effort on behalf of the name, not some "sham fact finding" championed by some of the opponents.

• Upvote 1

I sure hope the Govenor & Wrigley & maybe even Berg Conrad & Hoeven would get involved this time

To send the same folks back & just give an update, will not change much

He makes it sound like this time they want to share the blame

one from the SBOHE is enough

This time we want to win........... because they are wrong

• Upvote 1

Here's perspective, I recall running down the street in Milwaukee with Kendall Baker celebrating the National Championship in 1997. Mr. Baker, then

president of UND, was wearing a Fighting Sioux jersey like any other fan. Faison and Kelley seem to bask in the glory of the beloved hockey team, Kelley at the Final

Five two weekends ago, but no logos by either. I think it's clear which side of the fence those outsiders stand on. If they are not for it, then they are certainly against it,

they as individuals have decided which way to sway. Yes, they are directed by the "bosses" at the SBoHE, but quit pretending that they give a rip, ever.

In my opinion, The Governor and those who initially proposed the name bill to ND House and Legislature, the ND State Attorney, The SBoHE officials, and UND officials, and The Spirit Lake Tribal Council should all be present at the next face to face meeting with the NCAA. Regardless of the opinions of those persons and groups I previously stated, the fact remains the name has been signed into law, binding all parties. Therefore, they should address the NCAA as a unified group, not divided. They represent ND residents, UND students, and UND Alumni such as myself (born in Grand Forks) regardless of our personal opinions on the name issue. I have read a lot about those questioning UND President Kelley's stance and A.D. Faison's stance on the name, now is the time for them to step up and represent a unified effort in support of the name with the State behind them 100%. The SBoHE100% behind UND and The Spirit Lake Tribe 100% behind UND and the State. Unity will be the key to the presentation to the NCAA. As for The Standing Rock Tribe, it is a shame their elected Tribal Council will not allow their people be heard through a referendum, a vote of by people.

I agree but no offense was probably intended. I agree vehemently and viscerally with Shaft and am extremely disappointed in how he and the other SBoHE members have mishandled and botched this whole thing but he did not deserve to have dog poop thrown in his yard. That's something I'd expect from the anti-nicknamers.

From the Herald Story

And how about some of the Native Americans who support the nickname -- Archie Fool Bear, Steve Fool Bear, Tom Iron, Eunice Davidson, Tom Chaske, etc.? The settlement agreement was intended to provide the Sioux tribes with a voice and not one Native American has been invited? That's a mis-step right there. Get it right Mr. Governor, if you please. A major issue is that one tribe is being prevented from voting. Another issue is that nickname supporters would be accepting of a vote there, if one were allowed. Why aren't people from both tribes being asked to go?