SiouxSports.com Forum

And it's begun....

gfhockey

it's quite possible i don't know my history on this but do native americans really hold the bison as sacred? i thought native americans killed those things at a magnificent rate back in the day.

Most of the Plains Indians consider the Buffalo sacred. (They know the Bison suck). Some tribes also consider the eagle, the beaver, the skunk, and other animals sacred. Different tribes had different beliefs. My old roommates, (one is now a judge and the other a prosecuting attorney) always considered the beaver sacred but they weren't Native American.

• Upvote 4

Most of the Plains Indians consider the Buffalo sacred. (They know the Bison suck). Some tribes also consider the eagle, the beaver, the skunk, and other animals sacred. Different tribes had different beliefs. My old roommates, (one is now a judge and the other a prosecuting attorney) always considered the beaver sacred but they weren't Native American.

Well played.biggrin.gif

Some tribes consider the owl sacred and good; others consider it a sign of death or evil.

http://opossumsally.homestead.com/NDN2/owls55.html

:lol:

It would be interesting to know the monikers of the high school teams on the reservations of those 11 tribal chairs.

I do not claim that this list is exhaustive, but it seems to have been a good question, Sica

Cheyenne River, Eagle Butte, SD Braves

Standing Rock, Ft Yates-Selfridge Warriors

Crow Creek (Stephan, SD) Chieftans

Turtle Mountain (Belcourt) Braves

Lower Brule Sioux

Three Affiliated Tribes, Mandaree Warriors

Yankton, Marty Braves

Spirit Lake, Four Winds Indians

Oglala, Pine Ridge Thorpes

Rosebud, Todd County Rebels

Santee, Niobrara Lions

Sisseton Redmen

Winnebago, NE Indians

Flandreau Santee, Flandreau Indians

Omaha Nation, Macy Chiefs

Ponca, NE Indians

Actually 16 tribes are part of the Great Plains Tribal Chairmans Association. 5 were not present due to the weather, including Myra Pearson from Spirit Lake.

• Upvote 2

It would be interesting to know the monikers of the high school teams on the reservations of those 11 tribal chairs.

I understand what you are saying, but this is sort of like pointing out the prevalent use of a certain racial slur in rap music, and in the vernacular of urban youth and wannabees.

I do not claim that this list is exhaustive, but it seems to have been a good question, Sica

Cheyenne River, Eagle Butte, SD Braves

Standing Rock, Ft Yates-Selfridge Warriors

Crow Creek (Stephan, SD) Chieftans

Turtle Mountain (Belcourt) Braves

Lower Brule Sioux

Three Affiliated Tribes, Mandaree Warriors

Yankton, Marty Braves

Spirit Lake, Four Winds Indians

Oglala, Pine Ridge Thorpes

Rosebud, Todd County Rebels

Santee, Niobrara Lions

Sisseton Redmen

Winnebago, NE Indians

Flandreau Santee, Flandreau Indians

Omaha Nation, Macy Chiefs

Ponca, NE Indians

Actually 16 tribes are part of the Great Plains Tribal Chairmans Association. 5 were not present due to the weather, including Myra Pearson from Spirit Lake.

Don't forget Solen High School...Home of the Sioux.

http://www.solen.k12.nd.us/Solen.html

The argument for the use of reservation schools using NA monikers is that they are Indians and, therefore, have the 'right' to use such names and imagery. My question to that would be are non-natives attending reservation schools not allowed to participate in activities that identify the participants as 'Chiefs', 'Braves', etc. There were plenty of non-natives living on the Navajo Reservation and attending school there when I worked there four+ years ago.

I understand what you are saying, but this is sort of like pointing out the prevalent use of a certain racial slur in rap music, and in the vernacular of urban youth and wannabees.

It's either acceptable or profane.

There's no other criteria, especially skin color of the speaker, that should ever apply to a word.

It's either acceptable or profane.

There's no other criteria, especially skin color of the speaker, that should ever apply to a word.

And I understand that as well. But we're not dealing with an organization that has a broad history of logical action.

I have great hope for the Bismarck meeting; some here have suggested it demonstrates the NCAA has had a change of heart.

I hope they are more prescient than I.

• Upvote 1

Spirit Lake maybe. But why would you want anyone from Standing Rock? An opportunity to remind the NCAA which body of legally elected representatives didn't approve the nickname?

In any event, I expect we'll hear very soon just how anxious the new "knights" in this fiasco are to take an active lead role in the very public negotiations with the NCAA. ;)

I am from Standing Rock and I know of 1400 other people who signed a petition to KEEP the name, an apology is needed for your acts, there are alot of people that want to keep the name but politics are in everybodies world.

• Upvote 1

I am from Standing Rock and I know of 1400 other people who signed a petition to KEEP the name, an apology is needed for your acts, there are alot of people that want to keep the name but politics are in everybodies world.

It is not clear from how you worded your post if you were one of the 1400. If you were one of those who signed the petition to keep the name, Thank you.

I assume you use the phrase "your acts" generically since over 90% of the posters on this forum would agree with you that tribal members votes should be the only that count.

The only way this will get resolved one way or the other is out in the open. At least a couple folks understand that.

http://plainsdaily.com/entry/dem_leaders_call_on_backes_to_make_ncaa_meeting_open_to_public/

The NCAA has no intention of participating in an "open" meeting, so that's a major problem. If the meeting is forced into the open, IMHO the NCAA walks out and doesn't participate.

I would just like to see some supporters from Spirit Lake and Standing Rock at the table...Don't care that much if it is open to press or not, but no need to bring the rabble rousers in to turn it in to a clusterf&%k. The meeting is about finding out if the NCAA might be agreeable to changng or altering their stance not re-opening the debate on the name, that has been done and will continue to be done forever anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

The NCAA has no intention of participating in an "open" meeting, so that's a major problem. If the meeting is forced into the open, IMHO the NCAA walks out and doesn't participate

My initial comments were correct. ;)

NCAA backs out of Bismarck meeting

An open meeting allows a media circus, which the NCAA wants no part of (the NCAA has plenty of media circuses that are non-manufactured - they don't want to walk into one).

That said, nothing is preventing the State of ND and the NCAA from having extended phone individual phone conversations.