SiouxSports.com Forum

And it's begun....

gfhockey

WTF!?!? Is Shaft serious? The whole name and logo issue is based on permission from a (two for ND) tribe to sanction it's use. And Shaft says, 'Not now?' What the he ll is wrong with this guy? Whose pocket is he in and how deep is that pocket?

Unless pressure can be put on the ass Shaft to include representatives fromSpirit Lake and Standing Rock, in my opinion.....we're screwed.

So some Big Ten officials told Shaft that if North Dakota dropped the Sioux logo that they would get a Big Ten invite? Either Shaft or his son (or both) are lying or they messed up royally by not disclosing that to the public. I love UND, but we're no where near ready to compete against Big Ten schools in football and basketball. I seriously doubt a UND invite was entertained at a Big Ten conference meeting. Has anyone heard different?

shaft told his son that if the sioux drop the nickname they could be invited into the big 10 conference, which a couple people had fun refuting - make no mistake, shaft does NOT want the nickname

Knowing roughly Shaft's age and making some assumptions about his son's age (and about someone being willing to "argue" on Facebook with a daddy said so "trump card") I fully expect that his "invited into" should more accurately say something more like "play teams in" (refering to the moniker policies at UMinn, UWisc, and UIowa).

The NCAA agreed to a date, and those idiots in Bismarck can't be there?? Al Carlson you make me sick. :angry:

Well, there's this little thing called the legislative session going on which is constrained to 80 days by the state constitution. Carlson is the House Majority Leader. He can't exactly jet off to Grand Forks.

But Grant Shaft just said on the Scott Hennen Show that they've moved the meeting to Bismarck to accommodate the legislators. So all is good.

So some Big Ten officials told Shaft that if North Dakota dropped the Sioux logo that they would get a Big Ten invite?

If so, I hope he got it in writing.

For that Big Ten logo (and Big Ten Network annual check) I'd trade "Fighting Sioux" faster than a Frattin snap-shot off the draw. There. I said it.

So you're basing this on Shaft's son's fb post?

:lol:

I know I'm reaching but I'm not discounting that Shaft wants the nickname gone. Out of the mouths of babes, etc.

The Big Ten invite was likely and as previously stated more an assumption we could then play teams in the BT.

Haha no kidding for an invite to the big ten i wouldn't care what our nickname is. But thats not gonna be happening, at least not anytime in the near future. 50 years from now, ya never know but UND hasn't even crept into the minds of big time fbs schools let alone a bid on the table

I know I'm reaching but I'm not discounting that Shaft wants the nickname gone. Out of the mouths of babes, etc.

The Big Ten invite was likely and as previously stated more an assumption we could then play teams in the BT.

I hear ya. The mere fact he's stated publicly in several forums that he favors the nickname but thinks options to keep it have been exhausted is not going to convince me he actually favors the nickname but thinks ... well, you know. Especially now that we have hard, third-hand evidence that someone identifying himself as Grant Shaft's son posted on facebook that UND would get into the Big Ten if it dropped the nickname. Based on that rock-solid evidence I too must conclude that Grant Shaft has never been in favor of the nickname and sabotaged efforts to keep it and is clearly undermining attempts even today.

Sorry. Just couldn't resist. :silly:

I hear ya. The mere fact he's stated publicly in several forums that he favors the nickname but thinks options to keep it have been exhausted is not going to convince me he actually favors the nickname but thinks ... well, you know. Especially now that we have hard, third-hand evidence that someone identifying himself as Grant Shaft's son posted on facebook that UND would get into the Big Ten if it dropped the nickname. Based on that rock-solid evidence I too must conclude that Grant Shaft has never been in favor of the nickname and sabotaged efforts to keep it and is clearly undermining attempts even today.

Sorry. Just couldn't resist. :silly:

I realize you're 'joking' but given the fact that he has made the statement that this is a 'one and done' chance to save the name and that he is excluding major stakeholders (SL and SR supporters) from the meeting with the NC$$, I don't believe he wants to save the name. To me, it's looks like he's going through the motions, to 'appease the masses'. In addition, again MY opinion, he is somebody's puppet and his dance is being choreographed for him. Hey, that's just my opinion based on his words and actions. ;)

In addition, again MY opinion, he is somebody's puppet and his dance is being choreographed for him. Hey, that's just my opinion based on his words and actions. ;)

The ND SBoHE is *not* made up of people that have ever run public education institutions. Thusly, they follow the lead and "asks" of the university presidents more often than not (e.g. the were badly burned by giving all the "asks" of former NDSU president Chapman). It would not surprise me if the SBoHE is acting upon the "ask" of Dr. Kelley. I can only only opine it, I can't prove it, and I wouldn't be surprised if it were true.

The ND SBoHE is *not* made up of people that have ever run public education institutions. Thusly, they follow the lead and "asks" of the university presidents more often than not (e.g. the were badly burned by giving all the "asks" of former NDSU president Chapman). It would not surprise me if the SBoHE is acting upon the "ask" of Dr. Kelley. I can only only opine it, I can't prove it, and I wouldn't be surprised if it were true.

Sounds right. And the most likely response was "Stop the resurge at every step." :glare:

shaft told his son that if the sioux drop the nickname they could be invited into the big 10 conference, which a couple people had fun refuting - make no mistake, shaft does NOT want the nickname

No. Not ever.

One of 2 things happened here:

1) Shaft said that if UND gets rid of the nickname there would be a better chance of Big Ten schools scheduling them for games and his kid misinterpreted it, which I can see happening, and is probably the case.

2) Shaft really did say it hoping it would get around and intended to use it as a spin for the SBHE to soften the stance of the pro-nickname crowd. I can't believe this would be the case because anybody with half a brain could see through it, but if it is true...pretty slimy.

Well gang, did you see the news at 6:00 p.m. on WDAZ, Faison was wearing a shirt with a Fighting Sioux logo, first time in public that I know of. Now,

President Kelley, if you want to show up in St. Paul and bask in the glory of the Hockey team, I suggest you do the same.

UND in the Big Ten. Ya you betchaa. Jab Chapman all ya want but if he would have been your Prez the nickname deal would have been resolved years ago and the Fighting Sioux name would remain.

No, we would be in that crap hole Summit League, and that other crap hole Missouri Valley Conference, just like the Thieving Thundering Terds, and our nickname and logo would have been sold

down the road, Chapman, he's the biggest joke the university system has known, who knows how much more he bilked.....

UND in the Big Ten. Ya you betchaa. Jab Chapman all ya want but if he would have been your Prez the nickname deal would have been resolved years ago and the Fighting Sioux name would remain.

Not a chance! He would have pocketed the donations made to fight the NC$$ and then retired the name and logo ASAP. In the meantime, his wife would have added an in-door swimming pool to the President's Mansion.

Wow. You are a dumbf&^k. Chapman should have left ndsu doing a perp walk in handcuffs.

• Upvote 1

So this appears to be list of invited attendess:

Gov. Jack Dalrymple

Attorney General Wayne Stenehjem

Board President Jon Backes

UND President Robert Kelley

Athletic Director Brian Faison

House majority leader Al Carlson

Senate Majority Leader Bob Stenehjem

Why is Spirit Lake not invited ? They should be first on the invitee list. These people fought to keep the name when others were giving up. Not inviting them makes me doubt they are sincerely trying to save the name.

If they really want to keep the nickname they would invite Spirit Lake and Hoeven and/or Conrad.

We can show that the closest tribe overwhelmingly supports the nickname and then we need to show that we have the full support of the politicians, both state and federal.

We then need to take the stance that we will not surrender on this issue and we will pursue every avenue to keep the name.

Without this complete determination from all sides I don't see the NC$$ backing down.

If all of these people get behind keeping the name then I believe we will keep it without any sanctions as the NC$$ will find a way out of this to avoid a fight.

Without a serious threat of a long and involved lawsuit that might cause collateral harm to the NC$$ I don't see them changing anything.

When the nickname policy was first introduced by the NC$$, Florida State's president was unequivocal in his statement:

"I intend to pursue all legal avenues to ensure that this unacceptable decision is overturned and that this university will forever be associated with the "unconquered' spirit of the Seminole Tribe of Florida," Wetherell said.

Our current president will not even state his opinion. I would prefer that he is not at this meeting unless he starts adopting the same stance as FSU president Wetherell.

He seems to want to defer to the SBOE on all things nickname related therefore I see no point for him to attend.

Open invitation to Mr. Kelley to show up at the Frozen Four pregame wearing a Fighting Sioux jersey.

If you really do not oppose the nickname here is a chance to make a very public statement without even speaking.

I love when people say that until it happens to their team. If the SBoHE says NDSU should not be the Bison anymore because its a sacred animal of Native Americans they should retire the name and go back to being called the NDSU Farmers. Lets go Farmers. How would NDSU fans like it? What an outrage...hey its just a name isn't it?

it's quite possible i don't know my history on this but do native americans really hold the bison as sacred? i thought native americans killed those things at a magnificent rate back in the day.