SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX @ SCSU

AZSIOUX

The Sioux come off a nice sweep vs UAA in Grand Forks while SCSU comes off a 3 point weekend at home vs UMD. Just another ho hum super important WCHA series for The Sioux.... Sioux Sweep!!

WCHA Standings

Pairwise Rankings

und.gif - Sioux Home Page

NCAA Division I Overall Record: 21-8-2 (.710)

Conference Record, WCHA: 16-6-0, 32 points

Home: 11-4-1 / Away: 9-4-1 / Neutral: 1-0-0

scsu.gif - Huskies Home Page

NCAA Division I Overall Record: 12-14-4 (.467)

Conference Record, WCHA: 8-11-3, 19 points

Home: 4-7-3 / Away: 5-6-1 / Neutral: 3-1-0

This series should be pretty good. St. Cloud fans think they are pretty good fans and I'm sure the talk around here on Monday is how the Huskies are "coming on" after their weekend in Duluth. Their (cough cough) big bad dog pound should be in full effect and there are usually some good battle tested Sioux fans right around them. I love sitting over there.

The Sioux have played well the last three games, but I see this as a split weekend. The Huskies are better than their overall record for sure, and nothing comes easy being on the road.

I know we've only had a small sampling without Chay Genoway, but I think the Sioux are much more balanced when he's not on the ice for 25+ minutes.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

The Sioux have played well the last three games, but I see this as a split weekend. The Huskies are better than their overall record for sure, and nothing comes easy being on the road.

I know we've only had a small sampling without Chay Genoway, but I think the Sioux are much more balanced when he's not on the ice for 25+ minutes.

Chay is a great player but the D corps is better defensively without him. I hope Hak does not split up Blood and Forbort. Put Chay with Mac and LaPoint with Marto,,,,Chay is best utilized on the power play

• Downvote 2

Agree on the split....the Clowns have too much talent to be playing as bad as they have so far this year. They could be hitting their stride alittle bit after taking 3 points from UMD.

On the Genoway comment, you are right on IMO using the term "balanced". Every guy on the ice this weekend looked like they "knew" what was happening and what was going to happen with the puck. Why??? Because no one was overhandling or overplaying the puck. Perfect example was Friday, UND got one rush after another because our D-man played it simple. With the sick talent of these forwards, all a D-man needs to do is get one of them the puck on the tape coming up ice out of the D zone then grab some popcorn and watch for a hightlight reel moment.

Each D-man this weekend took care of his defensive responsibility first before trying to do anything else...that's how you give up only 2 goals and 40 total SOG for the weekend.

Chay has been a dynamic player for the Sioux his entire career.

I think the last few games he played in, he was on the ice too much and ended up beinng gassed, and then bad things can happen.

Look what happened to to UMD on December 30th, when they had their first line on the ice for the entire power play against the Sioux. It gassed them and they were un-effective after that, which was good for the Sioux.

No player will admit he is tried or that they are not ready to go. Time Management for all players by the coaching staff is key.

I'm shocked, shocked I say, to find UND's outstanding play attributed to Genoway's absence.

Actually it's true that both Genoway and Kristo are somewhat responsible for the team playing so well, because their absence is an adverse situation, and Hak's teams respond to adversity in the Spring by coming together. Going back to Brady Murray and then Robbie Bina going down, when the going gets tough, Hak's teams get going.

Did the other 18 guys catch passes they've been bobbling lately because Genoway made the team unbalanced? No. They were intense and focused because they were in a tough spot, missing two of their most talented teammates.

Brock Nelson showed his growth Saturday, when at least twice he was back covering when the puck came back the other way with Marto caught deep. It was outstanding for a freshman to recognize when his offensive defenseman was doing what he is supposed to do, push the play forward.

Marto is playing as well as I've seen him play; just a wonderful senior defenseman. I'd say he was the best player on the ice, but not with Frattin there. Frattin's playing at a level that I have to go back to Jeff Panzer to see in a Sioux uniform. Earlier this year, it was the shot. Now it's seeing the ice and making the pass. And all the way through has been the physicality and speed.

• Upvote 3

Frattin's playing at a level that I have to go back to Jeff Panzer to see in a Sioux uniform. Earlier this year, it was the shot. Now it's seeing the ice and making the pass. And all the way through has been the physicality and speed.

I know we have had Oshie and Toews, but I agree with comparing his level of play all the way back to Panzer. If Frattin gets another 8-10 goals, we might be talking about one of the all-time great seasons by a UND forward.

I'm shocked, shocked I say, to find UND's outstanding play attributed to Genoway's absence.

Actually it's true that both Genoway and Kristo are somewhat responsible for the team playing so well, because their absence is an adverse situation, and Hak's teams respond to adversity in the Spring by coming together. Going back to Brady Murray and then Robbie Bina going down, when the going gets tough, Hak's teams get going.

Did the other 18 guys catch passes they've been bobbling lately because Genoway made the team unbalanced? No. They were intense and focused because they were in a tough spot, missing two of their most talented teammates.

Brock Nelson showed his growth Saturday, when at least twice he was back covering when the puck came back the other way with Marto caught deep. It was outstanding for a freshman to recognize when his offensive defenseman was doing what he is supposed to do, push the play forward.

Marto is playing as well as I've seen him play; just a wonderful senior defenseman. I'd say he was the best player on the ice, but not with Frattin there. Frattin's playing at a level that I have to go back to Jeff Panzer to see in a Sioux uniform. Earlier this year, it was the shot. Now it's seeing the ice and making the pass. And all the way through has been the physicality and speed.

Alaska Anchorage will make anyone look good.

Matt Frattin didn't put up the any huge numbers this weekend, but the guy looked like an NHL player among many good college hockey players. Yeah, UAA isn't a great team, but there are some exceptional players in a Sioux uniform that he makes look like high schoolers, even though they are on the same team.

The thing that was super impressive was his strength on the puck and the vision he had to make some stellar passes. He is a big-time player.

I'll agree with others and call a split in the making for this weekend. I would love to see the black sweaters come out at some point in time this weekend as well. Heck, wear them Friday night and if you win, why not Saturday?

For whatever reason the Sioux have success against Mike Lee. Lets hope that sticks around for a weekend, and possibly even back to back games if he starts both.

Denver has a layup this weekend with Tech in their building, split and you're one point from the top, sweep and you're almost to the point where you can separate yourself from the pack with the final four conference games.

I love College Hockey time come late February and March! :blush:

Lets not forget first off who we've the past 3 games, not even top 5 teams in the WCHA. Everyone is writing off Genoway and Kristo like its because of the absence of them that has pushed this 3 game win streak. Lets not forgot that our bench is as deep as they come. We have players sitting every night that would be in the lineups on nearly every college and CHL team. Thats a luxury not many teams have.

I disagree. At least to how they usually play the Sioux. We usually wind up winning but it's not easy and we haven't looked as good doing so.

I agree with you Whistler. I also checked and AA has gotten points nearly every weekend this season except this one. They certainly aren't like the AA teams of the past.

I've seen SCSU play 6 times this season and they shouldn't be over looked. We are the better team however so I'm hoping for a sweep from us.

Something a bit overlooked was the fact that Aaron Dell won his 20th hockey game with the victory over Anchorage on Saturday. Dell has just been a reliable consistently good goaltender this eason, and has been amazing on the road. I expect the same from him this weekend, and another solid couple of starts.

Something a bit overlooked was the fact that Aaron Dell won his 20th hockey game with the victory over Anchorage on Saturday. Dell has just been a reliable consistently good goaltender this eason, and has been amazing on the road. I expect the same from him this weekend, and another solid couple of starts.

Aaron Dell gets overlooked period.

Just in talking with fans from other teams, apparently he's only having a good season because our d-core is so good. I don't buy that for a second. Sure, having good d-men is a luxury I enjoy having, but they can't do everything. Someone's got to be in the net to stop the puck as well.

For whatever reason the Sioux have success against Mike Lee.

The Sioux have lit Mike Lee up in this two season that he has played at SCSU and I can't think of a game he has ever beaten UND had his numbers are less than impressive this season .905 save % and a 2.83 GAA. While the Huskies are something like 7-3-2 their last 12 games they are just 1-3-2 their last 6 games.

The Sioux have lit Mike Lee up in this two season that he has played at SCSU and I can't think of a game he has ever beaten UND had his numbers are less than impressive this season .905 save % and a 2.83 GAA. While the Huskies are something like 7-3-2 their last 12 games they are just 1-3-2 their last 6 games.

Mike Lee has never beaten the Sioux. His stats against us are TERRIBLE. I actually wondered if he is somewhat intimidated. Who knows. That said, he could shake that slump at any time so we'll need to be ready to expose all of SCSU's weaknesses for what they are.

Aaron Dell gets overlooked period.

Just in talking with fans from other teams, apparently he's only having a good season because our d-core is so good. I don't buy that for a second. Sure, having good d-men is a luxury I enjoy having, but they can't do everything. Someone's got to be in the net to stop the puck as well.

Agreed, while not to be a knock on Eidsness, so far this season I've seen Dell make key saves in games that kept us in games more often than Eidsness ever did.

With that said though, I really hope(d) that Eidsness can get his swagger back. It'd be nice to have a good goalie tandem down the stretch as insurance.

I pick a Sioux win one night and the other game will go to OT with a roll of the dice for where the points fall. We will come out hot one night and sleep one night, weather we win Friday and party too hard or over look them Friday, and pound on the Saturday.

I will be there Sat. again, so I hope I get to see another game like last years, Valentines Day Massacre. :love: