Oct 1st, 2011 Bye

Oct 8th, 2011 Central Oklahoma 4:05 pm San Luis Obispo, CA

Oct 15th, 2011 Southern Utah* 6:05 pm San Luis Obispo, CA

Oct 22nd, 2011 @ North Dakota* TBA Grand Forks, ND

Oct 29th, 2011 South Dakota* 6:05 pm San Luis Obispo, CA

Nov 5th, 2011 @ UC Davis* 1:05 pm Davis, CA

Nov 12th, 2011 Eastern Washington 6:05 pm San Luis Obispo, CA

Nov 19th, 2011 @ South Alabama 2:00 pm Mobile, AL

Brain Faison thats how you fill a schedule.

It is a nice schedule, but it has five home games and one of them is DII. In addition, the SDSU game is a 1 for 2 - that is a steep price for a home game. Faison got a home and home with SDSU. Again, I think scheduling will be much better when UND is in the Big Sky. I think USD has said that they will play home and home games with UND. So, in the near future a 11 game schedule would look like: 1 FBS, 1 FCS home/away rotation (ie USD), 8 conference games and one other game. Plus, I think we still have return games with UCA and SDSU coming. I agree this year looks bad, but it looks like a one year hit.

Well let's put the facts out there-

3) I think the majority of fans, myself included, would rather see an away game verus another FCS team than an "extra home game" versus a recent NAIA team. The players deserve to see where they stack up in the FCS, the fans want to see that and I believe it would be much more valuable for fan interest than 3 non DI one teams. I mean we play 6 out of a possilbe 11 games against teams in our own classification, and one of those is a stretch (Drake) to consider a FCS team.

I think the majority of fans are not very knowledgable and really don't care who we play, they want to see wins, and hopefully this schedule will provide some and my guess is that is what will rejuvenate fan interest. The fact that only 6,000 fans showed up to see North Dakota play then #16 ranked Cal Poly in 2009 tells me that the average fans apparently don't have the desire to see "quality" DI teams in the Alerus like most of us on these forums probably do.

• Upvote 1

I think the majority of fans are not very knowledgable and really don't care who we play, they want to see wins, and hopefully this schedule will provide some and my guess is that is what will rejuvenate fan interest. The fact that only 6,000 fans showed up to see North Dakota play then #16 ranked Cal Poly in 2009 tells me that the average fans apparently don't have the desire to see "quality" DI teams in the Alerus like most of us on these forums probably do.

I must respectfully disagree. The majority of UND fans are knowledgeable and do care who we play. Wins against Winona, SCSU, Crookston, Minot, or anyone else mean NOTHING to an alum and I think to the kids who play or are recruited. I live in the Twin Cities, I would come to GF two to three times a year to see FCS teams (or higher classification if willing) that have a track record of being in the playoffs. I will not drive to GF to watch Drake, NAIA teams, or DII teams period. I would rather travel to see UND play DI teams and FCS teams on the road than have them play some of the teams coming to GF this year. I am retired, so I have this flexibility. Thank God we got into the Big Sky because if 2011 is an example of what we would have for a schedule in the future the program would lose fan interest for lack of interesting foes ala the BB program. Some of the GWFC foes including the one you mention do not generate that much interest yet because of the non playoff eligible issue. I have been critical of Faison for this year's schedule and I think he did not do a good job in pulling it together. That is all behind us now and we can look to 2012, but it is going to be a boring season save a few D1 games and the two GWFC home games even if we win them all.

Well let's put the facts out there-

1) Fasion turned down an every other year series verus NDSU....that still blows my mind. Why would that not be helpful for the fb program, attendence and fan interest?

2) UND has released their 2011 football schedule very early...there are still FCS team looking for games, both home and away (Yes these are advertised)...so to me that tells me that it's taking the easy way out. It's either about the money (we don't want to be for a one game) or its about not being able to secure a contract (home and away; 2 for 1) that fits.

3) I think the majority of fans, myself included, would rather see an away game verus another FCS team than an "extra home game" versus a recent NAIA team. The players deserve to see where they stack up in the FCS, the fans want to see that and I believe it would be much more valuable for fan interest than 3 non DI one teams. I mean we play 6 out of a possilbe 11 games against teams in our own classification, and one of those is a stretch (Drake) to consider a FCS team.

Here is an honest question, how will it be apparent if progress is made with our FB team next season?

I guess with all your knowledge, far better information, and much better grasp of the situation than the people doing the scheduling, why aren't they lining up to get you to help? Sounds like you've got it all solved for them.

What happened in Laramie? I thought Christiansen was a pretty good coach who was going to turn things around there? Men's bb appears to be in the toliet there too. That too bad....I've always liked the Cowboys and admired their passionate, all-state following.

Last year the Cowboys seemed to be crippled by some horrid offensive play calling. Games were clearly lost because of offensive play calling that made no sense at key points. The OC was a kid named Marcus Arroyo who was a QB from San Diego State. I think he was the youngest OC in FBS football.....and he was over his head. He has departed for Cal to be the QB coach and Gregg Brandon has been picked to replace Arroyo. Brandon was Urban Meyers OC at Bowling Green and Christiansen is talking him up as a key in implementing the Spead Offense. Also making things look dower for next year is the fast that last years starting QB, Austin Carta-Samuels, has abrubtly left the program. There also have been many other player departures.

I too thought that Christiansen would start to light a fire in Laramie, but so far, there is not even a spark.

As for Men's BB, my god what a mess. Heath Schroyer has almost completely destroyed the program. Burman (the AD) figured out he better fire Schroyer asap as the Cowboy fans are getting real tired of both FB and BB being in the toilet. This whole thing makes me wonder if Burman ought to be canned. Someone seems to be hiring horrid coaches and the buck stops with Tom Burman.

Some of the GWFC foes including the one you mention do not generate that much interest yet because of the non playoff eligible issue.

If playoff ineligibility is the problem, then there wouldn't be any point in bringing in more "attractive" opponents this year.

Grand Forks' sports fans love to see the 52-7 drubbings we would put on the Newberrys, Westchesters, and Humboldt States of the world.....................they'll be treated to more of that at home this season, and assuming we can smoke the NAIA's in convincing fashion, attendance will rise this season. Grand Forks loves a winner..........................

If playoff ineligibility is the problem, then there wouldn't be any point in bringing in more "attractive" opponents this year.

Grand Forks' sports fans love to see the 52-7 drubbings we would put on the Newberrys, Westchesters, and Humboldt States of the world.....................they'll be treated to more of that at home this season, and assuming we can smoke the NAIA's in convincing fashion, attendance will rise this season. Grand Forks loves a winner..........................

Correction we would love to see the 52-7 drubbings of the Northwestern St (LA), or Idaho St, or NDSU, we are done with NAIA and D2 teams. We left D2 for a reason to play with the big boys.

• Upvote 1

Correction we would love to see the 52-7 drubbings of the Northwestern St (LA), or Idaho St, or NDSU, we are done with NAIA and D2 teams. We left D2 for a reason to play with the big boys.

But whent the "big boys" come, I'd consider the #16 DI team in the country a "big boy", where were the fans?

But whent the "big boys" come, I'd consider the #16 DI team in the country a "big boy", where were the fans?

I suspect the disappointing crowd for that game was due in large part to the fallout from the Sioux Falls debacle. A 4 p.m. game on Halloween also didn't help matters.

Maybe fans are not into football or even basketball until 2012. I mean what is there to play for a GWFC title? To me that doesn't scream excitement, neither does paying money to see NE Okalahoma St, or Sioux Falls or Montana Western. That Cal Poly game was a scheduling nightmare. 4pm game on Halloween so when you get done with the game and got your little one home it would have been 7:30-8:00 how much candy can you get after that time frame. I know people will support our team more when we are playoff eligible, but if we see a schedule like this in 2012 and beyond there will a big fallout of fans especially when D2 and NAIA games could hurt us in a playoff race (2010 Montana as prime example).

Maybe fans are not into football or even basketball until 2012. I mean what is there to play for a GWFC title? To me that doesn't scream excitement, neither does paying money to see NE Okalahoma St, or Sioux Falls or Montana Western. That Cal Poly game was a scheduling nightmare. 4pm game on Halloween so when you get done with the game and got your little one home it would have been 7:30-8:00 how much candy can you get after that time frame. I know people will support our team more when we are playoff eligible, but if we see a schedule like this in 2012 and beyond there will a big fallout of fans especially when D2 and NAIA games could hurt us in a playoff race (2010 Montana as prime example).

Hmmm............

I believe NDSU was able to set consecutive attendance records when they were going 10-1 and playing only for GWFC titles. And don't forget that NDSU's attendendance has been down since becoming playoff eligible and joinin the MVC. North Dakota loves a winner.........................there just not all that interested in who the wins come against..........

Hmmm............

I believe NDSU was able to set consecutive attendance records when they were going 10-1 and playing only for GWFC titles. And don't forget that NDSU's attendendance has been down since becoming playoff eligible and joinin the MVC. North Dakota loves a winner.........................there just not all that interested in who the wins come against..........

I think they also generated a little excitement those years by almost beating and then beating the Gophers while outplaying them in Minneapolis. That is a little more exciting than playing Drake, Black Hills and Montana Western. The Bison also beat Montana, Central Michigan, and Ball State on the road. If the Sioux beat Idaho and Fresno State you may see some increase in attendance. Probably not going to happen though.

Is it completely out of the question that our athletic department might be arranging for a swap that would bring in at least one better game in 2011? Perhaps a tradout for the Montana Western game? It seems like even the FBS teams are a bit fluid -- witness the current effort for Nevada to abandon their game with Boise State next year, or the changes with TCU's schedule. Could it still be possible we'll have at least one change to our schedule? Or is it too late to really expect anything to change?

Is it completely out of the question that our athletic department might be arranging for a swap that would bring in at least one better game in 2011? Perhaps a tradout for the Montana Western game? It seems like even the FBS teams are a bit fluid -- witness the current effort for Nevada to abandon their game with Boise State next year, or the changes with TCU's schedule. Could it still be possible we'll have at least one change to our schedule? Or is it too late to really expect anything to change?

While anything is possible, I wouldn't necessarily expect something to change at this point.

If the UND athletic department really wanted a better schedule, they would have waited until at least April to release the schedule.

There are likely many issues (cost, Buning's previous deals), but the biggest one is that this team - with it's inexperienced QBs - needs some scrimmages to gain QB confidence and experiment. All of next season is essentially practice for 2012.

If the UND athletic department really wanted a better schedule, they would have waited until at least April to release the schedule.

There are likely many issues (cost, Buning's previous deals), but the biggest one is that this team - with it's inexperienced QBs - needs some scrimmages to gain QB confidence and experiment. All of next season is essentially practice for 2012.

SDSU has released its schedule. They open with SUU:

DATE OPPONENT TIME SERIES RECORD

Sept. 3 SOUTHERN UTAH [Cereal Bowl] 6 p.m. SDSU leads 3-1

Sept. 10 at Illinois TBA First meeting

Sept. 17 at Cal Poly 4 p.m. PT Cal Poly leads 4-2

Sept. 24 *at Illinois State TBA SDSU leads 2-1

Oct. 1 *INDIANA STATE [beef Bowl] 6 p.m. SDSU leads 2-1

Oct. 8 *at Youngstown State TBA SDSU leads 7-5

Oct. 15 *NORTHERN IOWA [Hall of Fame Game] 6 p.m. UNI leads 26-17-2

Oct. 22 *NORTH DAKOTA STATE [Dakota Marker Game] 2 p.m. NDSU leads 52-40-5

Oct. 29 *at Missouri State TBA SDSU leads 3-0

Nov. 5 *SOUTHERN ILLINOIS [Hobo Day] 2 p.m. SIU leads 2-1

Nov. 12 *at Western Illinois TBA Series tied 4-4

*Missouri Valley Football Conference game

• 2 weeks later...

Southern Utah's schedule is out.

The Thunderbirds will play current Big Sky members Sacramento State (Sept. 10), Weber State (Oct. 22) and Northern Arizona (Nov. 19) as well as Great West members North Dakota (Oct. 1) Cal Poly (Oct. 15), UC Davis (Oct. 29), three schools which, like Southern Utah, will move to the Big Sky after this season.

Sept. 3, at South Dakota State, Brookings, S.D., TBA

Sept. 10, Sacramento State, Cedar City, Utah, 3 p.m.

Sept. 17, Texas-San Antonio, Cedar City, Utah, 8 p.m.

Sept. 24, at UNLV, Las Vegas, Nev., TBA

Oct. 1, North Dakota*, Cedar City, Utah, 3 p.m.

Oct. 8, at South Dakota*, Vermillion, S.D., TBA

Oct. 15, at Cal Poly*, San Luis Obispo, Calif., TBA

Oct. 22, at Weber State, Ogden, Utah, TBA

Oct. 29, UC Davis*, Cedar City, Utah, 3 p.m.

Nov. 12, at Northern Iowa, Cedar Falls, Iowa 8 p.m.

Nov. 19, at Northern Arizona, Flagstaff, Ariz., TBA

*-Great West Conference game

Southern Utah's schedule is out.

The Thunderbirds will play current Big Sky members Sacramento State (Sept. 10), Weber State (Oct. 22) and Northern Arizona (Nov. 19) as well as Great West members North Dakota (Oct. 1) Cal Poly (Oct. 15), UC Davis (Oct. 29), three schools which, like Southern Utah, will move to the Big Sky after this season.

Sept. 3, at South Dakota State, Brookings, S.D., TBA

Sept. 10, Sacramento State, Cedar City, Utah, 3 p.m.

Sept. 17, Texas-San Antonio, Cedar City, Utah, 8 p.m.

Sept. 24, at UNLV, Las Vegas, Nev., TBA

Oct. 1, North Dakota*, Cedar City, Utah, 3 p.m.

Oct. 8, at South Dakota*, Vermillion, S.D., TBA

Oct. 15, at Cal Poly*, San Luis Obispo, Calif., TBA

Oct. 22, at Weber State, Ogden, Utah, TBA

Oct. 29, UC Davis*, Cedar City, Utah, 3 p.m.

Nov. 12, at Northern Iowa, Cedar Falls, Iowa 8 p.m.

Nov. 19, at Northern Arizona, Flagstaff, Ariz., TBA

*-Great West Conference game

What a great schedule... ???

What a great schedule... ???

Yep. Here's a comparison of the 2011 non-league schedules for the five Great West teams:

SOUTHERN UTAH

Sept. 3, at South Dakota State

Sept. 10, Sacramento State

Sept. 17, Texas-San Antonio

Sept. 24, at UNLV

Oct. 22, at Weber State

Nov. 12, at Northern Iowa

Nov. 19, at Northern Arizona

SOUTH DAKOTA

Sep 3 at Air Force

Sep 10 Eastern Washington

Sep 17 Lamar

Sep 24 at Wisconsin

Oct 1 Lindenwood

Oct 15 at Illinois State

Nov 12 Missouri S&T

UC DAVIS

09/01/11 at Arizona State

09/10/11 at Montana State

09/17/11 vs. San Diego

09/24/11 at Hawai'i

10/08/11 vs. Humboldt State

10/15/11 vs. Univ. of Texas, San Antonio

11/19/11 at Sacramento State

CAL POLY

Sep 3 @ San Diego State

Sep 10 @ Montana

Sep 17 South Dakota State

Sep 24 @ Northern Illinois

Oct 8 Central Oklahoma

Nov 12 Eastern Washington

Nov 19 @ South Alabama

NORTH DAKOTA

Sep 01 Drake

Sep 10 at Idaho

Sep 17 at Fresno State

Sep 24 Black Hills State

Oct 08 Montana Western

Oct 29 at Northern Colorado

Nov 05 Sioux Falls

Well at least we can assume that the price of football season tickets isn't going to go up this year. I like to think the games are part of the package - tailgating, getting together with Sioux fans, the marching band, the team walking down tailgate alley, getting back to the campus and supporting the student athletes - but I sure am looking forward to that Big Sky schedule.

• 1 month later...

Portland State is the last BSC school to announce their schedule. Non-leaguers with TCU, D-3 Willamette and NAIA Southern Oregon. Yuck!

http://www.goviks.co...?path=football

2011 Portland State Football Schedule

Sept. 3, Southern Oregon, Jeld-Wen Field

Sept. 17, Northern Arizona*, Jeld-Wen Field

Sept. 24, @ TCU, Fort Worth, TX

Oct. 1, @ Idaho State*, Pocatello, ID

Oct. 8, Montana State*, Jeld-Wen Field

Oct. 15, @ Montana*, Missoula, MT

Oct. 22, Willamette, Jeld-Wen Field

Oct. 29, @ Eastern Washington*, Cheney, WA

Nov. 5, Sacramento State*, Jeld-Wen Field

Nov. 12, @ Northern Colorado*, Greeley, CO

Nov. 19, Weber State*, Jeld-Wen Field

Now that they are all out, here they are by university. Collectively, the nine Big Sky teams next year are playing:

11 FBS

9 FCS

5 Division II

1 Division III

1 NAIA

-------------------------------------------

2011 non-conference opponents

Eastern Washington

Cal Poly

Washington (FBS)

South Dakota

Idaho State

Washington State (FBS)

BYU (FBS)

Western State (Division II)

Montana

At Tennessee (FBS)

Cal Poly

Western Oregon (Division II)

Montana State

Utah (FBS)

UC Davis

Minot State (Division II move-up)

Northern Arizona

Arizona (FBS)

Southern Utah

Fort Lewis (Division II)

Northern Colorado

Colorado State (FBS)

Lindenwood (Division II move-up)

North Dakota

Portland State

TCU (FBS)

Southern Oregon (NAIA)

Willamette (D-3)

Sacramento State

Oregon State (FBS)

UC Davis

Southern Utah

Weber State

Wyoming (FBS)

Utah State (FBS)

Southern Utah

• 3 weeks later...

It's fairly common to see Division II opponents on Big Sky schedules. Eastern plays an all Division I schedule in 2011, but this isn't the norm. Usually it's one FBS, one non-conference FCS, and one Division II. This is the format we played this year (Nevada, Southern Utah, Central Washington), and it worked out pretty well.

The problem is, the farther west you go, the fewer options there are as far as scheduling FCS goes. Portland State's schedule is pathetic (what were they thinking???) but I don't know the story behind it. That is a very unusual schedule for a Big Sky team, so they might have had someone back out and couldn't get a replacement game with a Division I opponent. Scheduling is difficult, especially at the FCS level. You want to get the right balance of winnable non-conf games that count towards the playoffs, and the annual $ game that most of us have to play. Most FBS games that provide a significant pay-out are not winnable, so if you're scheduling more than one of those in a year you are basically scheduling yourself out of the playoffs. Add a Division II non-counter in there, and you basically have to win all or all but one conference game to make the playoffs at 7-4 or 8-3. This happened to Weber State this year and in 2008 Eastern played two Big XII schools and just missed out on the playoffs because of it. There are a lot of complaints about the 2011 schedule for EWU, but at the end of the day, we opted to go with an all Division I schedule rather than bring in a Division II. Also, when you consider that one of our "home" games has traditionally be played in Seattle anyway (just playing UW at Husky Stadium instead of PSU or CWU at Qwest) then the schedule's not too bad. Not great, but playing all Division I's sets us up best for another run at the title. Not massively excited about playing @ USD, but we will just have to punish them for backing out of the Big Sky. :D

My understanding is that in 2012, each school will still only play 8 conference games, so don't be surprised if you see conference members scheduling one another for non-conf games.