SiouxSports.com Forum

Jesse Martin's Injury Very Serious

The Whistler

Thoughts and prayers to him and his family.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_16484927

GRAND FORKS, N.D. — University of Denver center Jesse Martin sustained three neck fractures in Saturday night's hockey game at North Dakota and was scheduled to have emergency surgery today in Minneapolis to relieve swelling of the spinal cord.

• Upvote 1

Hockey is such a small thing in life when it comes to the big picture of things. This young man has a long journey ahead of him and I'm very hopeful that he is able to live as normal of a life as possible and is able to make a full recovery from this serious injury.

I also wonder how Brad Malone is taking this.....it can't be easy for him to know that he caused such a devastating injury.....I know I couldn't handle it.

My first reply came out wrong.

What I meant to say is:

This is not something anyone wants to see happen to anyone. I think about Travis Roy's injury and wonder about how Mitch Vig took it. This isn't think kind of thing that one wants to be a part of, and that's what I'm getting at with my first post (which I deleted).

I hope Martin makes a fast recovery and that Malone learns from this and becomes a better player because of it.

My thoughts are with Martin. I hope he comes through ok.

• Upvote 1

Disappointing news.

Happened right in front of our seats. Happened quickly, like most plays in hockey. Was difficult to watch.

My girls each prayed fom him last night and our family will continue to do so.

Wow. This is a really tough turn of events for everyone in college hockey.

We were in 110 and the hit was right in front of us. Good clean hard hit, at least so I thought at the moment. The ref looked back a couple of times, but was going to let play go on until he saw that Martin was clearly down and the whistle blew.

Haven't watched any replays. We were told, before the game ended and from what I thought were credible sources, that Jesse was going to be OK in all respects. A trip to Altru for precautionary reasons only. Now this news.

Hockey is a fast fast hard physical game where things happen in split seconds. Sometimes bad things happen for no real good reasons. This is true in all walks of life.

We will keep Jesse in our prayers as well.

RIght now it doesn't matter if it was a legal hit or not; this young man needs to fully recover and get back on the ice. My thoughts and prayers are with the Martin family tonight.

I hope to see him at REA battling Rodwell and Nelson for the puck in the next couple of years.

Get Well Jesse!

The latest update said that he has feeling in all extremities, which is good to hear.

Hoping for a full recovery for Jesse!

I hope to see him at REA battling Rodwell and Nelson for the puck in the next couple of years.

Martin is a senior...unless he can get a medical hardship waiver like Bina/Genoway.

I was at the game, had a similar hit happen to my son, it was tough to watch, but the result not as bad.

Our thoughts and prayers are with Jesse and his family!!!

For piece and mind for the Sioux Hockey players, keep playing the way you play.......things happen. To Brian, from my angle and I was watching the play because I saw the hit coming.....looked like a clean hit!!! Keep working hard and playing the sport the way it's suppose to be played.

You never want to see something like this happen.

Latest word is that Jesse heard that Brad was having a hard time dealing with what happened, so he had the DU athletic trainer call Brad and hold the phone to Jesse's ear so that he could talk to him and tell him that he didn't blame him. He also wanted to let him know that he didn't think it was an illegal hit.

When watching the video replays today, it appeared to me as though when the hit happened...that Jesse spun and his head went a little faster than his body. It also appeared as though his head hit the boards as he was stopping. What do you guys who saw it live think?

I'm sure Brad is quite embarrassed about the post-ejection shenanigans he showed. It was pretty disappointing to see that, despite the legitimacy of the call by the refs. After knowing he did that and hearing Jesse ended up in that situation thanks to Brad, he couldn't have been too proud.

I'm sure Brad is quite embarrassed about the post-ejection shenanigans he showed. It was pretty disappointing to see that, despite the legitimacy of the call by the refs. After knowing he did that and hearing Jesse ended up in that situation thanks to Brad, he couldn't have been too proud.

Do you even know what was said? I know he said something to Maiani and I don't think he was trying to chirp at them or anything.... he was obviously concerned at the time about Jesse if you saw his face.

Do you even know what was said? I know he said something to Maiani and I don't think he was trying to chirp at them or anything.... he was obviously concerned at the time about Jesse if you saw his face.

I don't think Brad was chirping either...otherwise the officials would have been all over him getting him off the ice.

Can you elaborate on this? Didn't see anything at all at the game.

Well, I unfortunately am limited to watching from my living room, but it sure looked like Brad was pissed about something before heading into the tunnel and almost losing his cool.

Apologies if it's way off base.

My seats are by the Sioux bench and thats what happened. He and Maiani were going back and forth Then he was told he got the game when the refs were pulling him away from the talking. He raised his stick going into the tunnel like he was going to break it and then didn't. I was dissapointed by his behavior. I know he needed to defend himself, and it wasn't like in the NHL where it happened right on top of the guy down but...I didn't see too much concern.

NOTE: there was absolutely no celebration of the hit, no taunting, and Maiani appeared to start the confrontation. Malone was just going in the door to the bench.

I don't think Brad was chirping either...otherwise the officials would have been all over him getting him off the ice.

I was on the other side of the ice but from the body language of both sides, I don't think there was any hostile conversation either.

My seats are by the Sioux bench and thats what happened. He and Maiani were going back and forth Then he was told he got the game when the refs were pulling him away from the talking. He raised his stick going into the tunnel like he was going to break it and then didn't. I was dissapointed by his behavior. I know he needed to defend himself, and it wasn't like in the NHL where it happened right on top of the guy down but...I didn't see too much concern.

NOTE: there was absolutely no celebration of the hit, no taunting, and Maiani appeared to start the confrontation. Malone was just going in the door to the bench.

Why I am most worried about Martin's health, I am almost equally starting to get worried about the integrity of the game. It has almost gotten to the point that hitting is not allowed anymore in hockey, at any level! As violent as the hit on Martin looked, it was a legal hit. Lets face it, Malone is a big strong kid and he is being penalized by what he is being taught to do since he could play the game. (i.e, play hard, finish checks, etc.) The one area of the game that has always seperated UND form other programs is how hard they play with speed, skill and plain hard nosed hockey which includes hitting. It is as big as part of the game as there is. Hackstol and Co. must be at their wits end on how to teach these young kids how to forcheck and strategize for a game! Does he now say..."hey guys, don't hit that hard"? Using the Maine series as an example, refs are altering the outcomes of games by what they think is how the game should be played which in my opinion, is taking away what the game is about. I hope Brad Malone keeps his head up and does not feel bad about what happened because that is how the game should be played.......and again, I certainly hope Mr. Martin gets well soon.

• Upvote 1

Why I am most worried about Martin's health, I am almost equally starting to get worried about the integrity of the game. It has almost gotten to the point that hitting is not allowed anymore in hockey, at any level! As violent as the hit on Martin looked, it was a legal hit. Lets face it, Malone is a big strong kid and he is being penalized by what he is being taught to do since he could play the game. (i.e, play hard, finish checks, etc.) The one area of the game that has always seperated UND form other programs is how hard they play with speed, skill and plain hard nosed hockey which includes hitting. It is as big as part of the game as there is. Hackstol and Co. must be at their wits end on how to teach these young kids how to forcheck and strategize for a game! Does he now say..."hey guys, don't hit that hard"? Using the Maine series as an example, refs are altering the outcomes of games by what they think is how the game should be played which in my opinion, is taking away what the game is about. I hope Brad Malone keeps his head up and does not feel bad about what happened because that is how the game should be played.......and again, I certainly hope Mr. Martin gets well soon.

I do not mean any disrespect to Martin as I do hope he make a fast and full recovery and can get a waiver to play out a "full" senior year with the Pioneers. However, I do agree with what you are same. From what I saw, the series at Maine was a joke. They were calling penalties left and right on hits that would have been nothing in the WCHA. I saw the hit (from TV) on Martin and thought right away "WOW! What a GOOD HIT!". In my opinion from my experience and knowledge of the game, it was a CLEAN hit. The refs thought this initially too. However, after Martin did not get up, then they decided to give him a major penalty.

It is sad to see that the game where "hard" hitting is allowed is now being scaled to "hit only as hard as the other person will allow". If Martin would have got back up right away I don't think there would have been any question on this being a clean hit or not, the game would have continued. It's hard to watch the sport I love change for what I feel is the worse.

Again though, I do hope Martin recovers fast. It sucked to watch Genoway struggle and it sucks to watch any other GOOD hockey player get injured. My thoughts are with him.