SiouxSports.com Forum

Jesse Martin's Injury Very Serious

The Whistler

What website did that Old Pio look at that had people ripping the DU about not knowing how to play hockey? By the way, the hit was clean.

I know Old Pio and he's a very knowledegable guy who has seen many years of hockey. He also tends to wear his emotions on his sleeve - he's quick to anger at times. Every fan base has die-hards with different temperaments and we die hards often see the world through our fan lens first - it's that emotional bond we have between us and our team. I 'm not sure where he saw the quote, but if it was here, he shouldn't be surprised by it - this is UND fan site, for UND fans. Every time I come on here, I do so with the utmost respect for the tradition of Sioux hockey - it's a program that means as much to you as our program means to us in Denver. Though we might not always agree on everything, I have been very impressed with the general reactions and large outpouring of sympathy from the Sioux fans during this rough week for Malone, the Martins and for the DU program.

• Upvote 4

I don't think Brad was chirping either...otherwise the officials would have been all over him getting him off the ice.

I don't know if any of you caught the big screen but Brad had a sick look on his face as he left the ice. You can infer from that he realized what was at stake and felt bad about it.

Gwozdecky's perspective in todays news conference (on video).

He has some strong opinions about what he saw...how the refs called it and whether it was a legal hit....

http://board.uscho.c...l=1#post4914379

Maybe it's my green colored glasses but, IMO, Gwoz belittled what Jesse said to Brad by disagreeing with him. Gwoz should have stopped talking after praising Jesse for reaching out to Brad. I'll never forget what Jesse did for Brad especially given the circumstances of his injury. That kid is quite the man, his parents must be so proud.

Jesse = class. Gwoz = no class.

I don't know if any of you caught the big screen but Brad had a sick look on his face as he left the ice. You can infer from that he realized what was at stake and felt bad about it.

Jesse calling Brad was a "Classy" move.......I hope Brad takes the time to visit him!

i saw the hit live on tv and it happened so fast then seeing the replay made you go , oh wow. im not going to get into the legal vs non legal debate as there are so many angles that can lead to but i sure hope martin gets better and recovers 100%!! hockey sometimes can be a eye opening sport with the speed and collisions on a nightly basis. we have seen bina and genoway lose out on seasons which is tough like puck swami says when you are so invested emotionally into your team, i believe its magnified with college sports as everyone has "their" team and sometimes to a fault ride the ups and downs with that team. we witness hits in every game and unfortunate incidents like this just suck to see happen to any athlete. i saw brad right after it happened on tv and he seemed very shaken up over seeing martin down. of course du players are going to chirp at him like any pissed off teammates would do but he didnt seem to be trying to fight the du team. he was responding to maini i believe if i saw it right....anyways besides the point, class act on martin to call brad! what a guy! hope he sees the ice again at some point. all the best in his recovery

come on gwoz :silly:

i saw the hit live on tv and it happened so fast then seeing the replay made you go , oh wow. im not going to get into the legal vs non legal debate as there are so many angles that can lead to but i sure hope martin gets better and recovers 100%!! hockey sometimes can be a eye opening sport with the speed and collisions on a nightly basis. we have seen bina and genoway lose out on seasons which is tough like puck swami says when you are so invested emotionally into your team, i believe its magnified with college sports as everyone has "their" team and sometimes to a fault ride the ups and downs with that team. we witness hits in every game and unfortunate incidents like this just suck to see happen to any athlete. i saw brad right after it happened on tv and he seemed very shaken up over seeing martin down. of course du players are going to chirp at him like any pissed off teammates would do but he didnt seem to be trying to fight the du team. he was responding to maini i believe if i saw it right....anyways besides the point, class act on martin to call brad! what a guy! hope he sees the ice again at some point. all the best in his recovery

come on gwoz :silly:

Well said AZ.I saw Brad in the corridor of the Ralph in his suit and he looked pale.I am sure he was just sick to his stomach of what had occured with Jesse.Hopefully the phone call will help ease his mind a bit but obviously it will be in the back of his mind for a long time.

Well said AZ.I saw Brad in the corridor of the Ralph in his suit and he looked pale.I am sure he was just sick to his stomach of what had occured with Jesse.Hopefully the phone call will help ease his mind a bit but obviously it will be in the back of his mind for a long time.

Being physical is what makes Malone the player he is, hopefully he doesn't lose any of that as a result of this.

Maybe it's my green colored glasses but, IMO, Gwoz belittled what Jesse said to Brad by disagreeing with him. Gwoz should have stopped talking after praising Jesse for reaching out to Brad. I'll never forget what Jesse did for Brad especially given the circumstances of his injury. That kid is quite the man, his parents must be so proud.

Jesse = class. Gwoz = no class.

I agree with that 100%, I just didn't know how to say it as smoothly as how you put it. I can't believe Gwoz had the audicity to spew the crap he did about the hit...especially after he got penalized (and possibly suspended) for it.

To be honest, I think the hit was a penalty. The rules are much stricter about the contact to the head, and no doubt Brad contacted him there. I do believe the penalty portion of the hit was unintentional. Brad probably came skated in on Jesse knowing the hit was easy pickins', but Jesse never ended up lifting his head and it was just the wrong place at the wrong time type of situation.

I hope Jesse pulls through and finishes his career without a hitch after successfully healing up.

I agree with that 100%, I just didn't know how to say it as smoothly as how you put it. I can't believe Gwoz had the audicity to spew the crap he did about the hit...especially after he got penalized (and possibly suspended) for it.

To be honest, I think the hit was a penalty. The rules are much stricter about the contact to the head, and no doubt Brad contacted him there. I do believe the penalty portion of the hit was unintentional. Brad probably came skated in on Jesse knowing the hit was easy pickins', but Jesse never ended up lifting his head and it was just the wrong place at the wrong time type of situation.

I hope Jesse pulls through and finishes his career without a hitch after successfully healing up.

I don't like Gwoz but I don't get the consternation over his comments re: Martin/Malone. He said that he thought the hit deserved a penalty - period. I didn't hear him rant about Malone/Sioux being dirty or anything like that.

• Upvote 1

I don't like Gwoz but I don't get the consternation over his comments re: Martin/Malone. He said that he thought the hit deserved a penalty - period. I didn't hear him rant about Malone/Sioux being dirty or anything like that.

There's a time and a place and making that comment after saying Jesse didn't believe it was an illegal hit was not the time or place.

During the second intermission of last nights TSN broadcast the analyst panel which included Craig MacTavish, Bobby Clark and Bob MacKenzie called Malones hit a legal hockey hit within the current rules. They showed the hit along with recent NHL hits and stated that only a rule change would completely eliminate those type of hits. Case closed.

There's a big difference between a dirty hit or an illegal hit. Was it dirty? No way. But I do think it was worthy of a minor penalty simply because Malone brought his hands up a bit higher than he needed to. I dont have a problem with officials cracking down on contact to the head. Again I dont think there was any ill intent on Malone's part.

There's a big difference between a dirty hit or an illegal hit. Was it dirty? No way. But I do think it was worthy of a minor penalty simply because Malone brought his hands up a bit higher than he needed to. I dont have a problem with officials cracking down on contact to the head. Again I dont think there was any ill intent on Malone's part.

Agreed, but then be consistent. It looks likes Beau Bennett's hit on Rowney on Friday has put him out for this weekend against Duluth. He got an elbowing penalty, but my contention was that it should have been a hit to the head as well. I think the inconsistency is what becomes the issue. It shouldn't take a year-ending injury or someone laid out on the ice for them to make the calls.

Agreed, but then be consistent. It looks likes Beau Bennett's hit on Rowney on Friday has put him out for this weekend against Duluth. He got an elbowing penalty, but my contention was that it should have been a hit to the head as well. I think the inconsistency is what becomes the issue. It shouldn't take a year-ending injury or someone laid out on the ice for them to make the calls.

Does anyone have video of that hit?

Was it that low of a comment?

It was something along the lines of DU not knowing how to play hockey or something.

To be fair to the poster, they did say it when everyone was thinking Martin was ok (the initial report was that Martin was only taken to the hospital for precautionary measures and that he would be fine), before everyone found out the true extent of his injuries.

It was something along the lines of DU not knowing how to play hockey or something.

To be fair to the poster, they did say it when everyone was thinking Martin was ok (the initial report was that Martin was only taken to the hospital for precautionary measures and that he would be fine), before everyone found out the true extent of his injuries.

Thanks. I think before I would get mad about a comment like this I would see what time it was posted. As you stated at the time no one knew how bad he was hurt. Now if the comment was made afterward that would be a whole different matter.

If you expect consistency out of the officials after being a fan of college hockey for as long as you have, then I can safely assume one of two things:

1. You've never actually watched a game (live or on tv)

2. Well... if I said #2, I'd get a warning or suspended from the board for seeming to take a personal attack on you.

Now, I know you've watched a good deal of hockey and college hockey to boot. So I know what I stated above to be false... I'm just saying that the on ice officials aren't paid to be consistent. They aren't expected to be either. They are not punished if they aren't consistent, even if it is a trend rather than a bad game or weekend.

They're only expected not to make the league overtly look bad and to call the game according to institutionalized guidelines. If they make a mistake, they may miss a weekend or two of work but that's about it. It would take something on the scale of Randy Schmidt to get any sort of action more severe than a month.