SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Mussman

darell1976

Anyway...........back to the original topic...........

Honestly? A thread about firing a coach when the team is so young and you just lost a tightgame to a ranked team?!?!? You don't need more turmoil during the difficulties of transition.

I don't believe that anyone with any authority is talking about firing a coach. A fan on an sports bulletin board overreacted and started a thread that has gone way beyond what it should have been. Isn't that the purpose of sports bulletin boards, to overreact?

• Upvote 1

No way UND has a chance to make the playoffs before NDSU unless you get into the big sky. You haven't won a conference game this year, you are a complete joke. UND football is a JOKE.

Wow. Wasted 5 minutes of my life reading this tripe while trying to get to some valid arguments about -- what was it again? Oh yes., Mussman's future.

Is there any reason these posts haven't been deleted and the poster banned, just to save us the agony? Trolling. Adding absoutely nothing. A perfect example of the brand of moron that makes the Big Sky look so good to so many here.

• Upvote 1

I'll refrain on should he go or stay, but the bottom line is we have regressed in our overall play the last couple of years. Offensively, we are unimaginative and lack consistant skill/play by our "playmakers". Defensively, we are a shell of what I have watched the last 12 yrs. Very little pressure from the front 4. Average LB play and a secondary that doesn't cover.

In my opinion Muss, needs a win vs. the Griz or at SDSU. Participation ribbons...please. After a 45-0 drubbing...to hear we went toe to toe with em?!?!? Really.

This program above all else needs to start getting some quality, signature wins. Not FBS wins although that would be great, but quality FCS wins. A win vs. Lamar next week doesn't count! But I'll still be there to watch and cheer Sat.

Obviously people missed what I said to start this thread. Before this game I have said fire Mussman he is horrible about as bad as Landry but then I think back and took a look at Roger Thomas and what he did in 1986-1989...nothing besides get our @sses kicked in the NCC espeically by NDSU but by the early 90's we were playoff bound and in 1993 we conquered the NCC. So maybe with the filtering out of D2 players (Landry!!) we could start to grow as a FCS team. We hit a bump in the transition road but maybe its better to have a season like this in transition than to have a season like this and missing the playoffs (2009 NDSU).

I believe what you're missing is the second half of the sentence: ". . . for two years from now when you'll be playoff eligible."

I stand behind the earlier post. I don't see how Muss' overall record, or where the team is sitting this year, is an indicator that they are right on track for two years from now. I need to see wins to say they are right on track. I'm not seeing that. I'd feel differently about the track if there were say, a young QB that is making mistakes but shows signs of brilliance as well. Close losses also don't do much for me. NDSU hasn't had a sniff of the playoffs since they've been eligible, but it isn't like they are getting blown out. The difference between winning and losing is closer than it used to be at D2, so it will come down to a few plays here and there every week. The track the team is on now illustrates they are consistently on the wrong end of those plays. I don't think Muss' should be fired, but I don't think the team is on the right track either.

Don't like the thread but I will throw my two cents in anyways.

Muss deserves another year and the coaching staff deserves another year. What I have noticed this year is you will be competitive at this level with solid QB play. This year ours has been to inconsistant. We have some good young kids that this staff brought in who I think deserve a shot next year. I think we will be starting a freshman at qb next year so I will wait until than to see what happens.

Muss deserves another year and the coaching staff deserves another year. What I have noticed this year is you will be competitive at this level with solid QB play. This year ours has been to inconsistant. We have some good young kids that this staff brought in who I think deserve a shot next year. I think we will be starting a freshman at qb next year so I will wait until than to see what happens.

I agree that on the offensive side, an upgrade in talent could be enough to get the ship righted. However, I question whether a defense which has struggled--at least against the pass--for roughly four years will be able to replace as many starters as we'll be losing, and somehow manage to get any better? I'm not sure wholesale staff changes necessarily need to be made, but at least some job title changes may be in order?

I agree that on the offensive side, an upgrade in talent could be enough to get the ship righted. However, I question whether a defense which has struggled--at least against the pass--for roughly four years will be able to replace as many starters as we'll be losing, and somehow manage to get any better? I'm not sure wholesale staff changes necessarily need to be made, but at least some job title changes may be in order?

Well said. Our young players we are playing this year are sure going to get thrown into the fire next year. They are going to be relied upon to take a lot of snaps while next year again we will have very young back ups. Its going to take time to build depth and some guys are just going to have to step up. No doubt about it. Hopefully getting a bunch of young guys competing this offseason will really help everyone improve. The only starting position that will be locked up come spring time is Brenneman. Scary but somewhat exciting at the same time.

Agreed that this thread might be premature and we need to give the youngsters a chance to step up. However, I think that we need to do more than just wait for the young kids to get things going in the right direction. There are some signs that we are not on the right track as a group. I don't think that most people are happy with where we are at in the transition so far. The quarterback dilema presents an interesting argument. Are the coaches at the mercy of a quarterback who just doesn't quite have the skill set to perform consistantly at this level, or is it their fault for putting us in a position where he's all we have to go with. I think the latter is more correct.

Finally, I think that some of our schemes have seen their day. The 3 4 worked well against the old Bison option, but without the studs of yesteryear it appears to be a defense that is willing to give up a 10 - 15 yard pass at will all day long without a significant rush. On offense it seems everyone from NAIA Sioux Falls State on up has seen the bubble screen from us so often that it is just a joke. Muss needs to do much more that to just ride out this year and wait for the Freshmen to start playing. I expected a much more successful transition that we have so far.

Obviously people missed what I said to start this thread. Before this game I have said fire Mussman he is horrible about as bad as Landry but then I think back and took a look at Roger Thomas and what he did in 1986-1989...nothing besides get our @sses kicked in the NCC espeically by NDSU but by the early 90's we were playoff bound and in 1993 we conquered the NCC. So maybe with the filtering out of D2 players (Landry!!) we could start to grow as a FCS team. We hit a bump in the transition road but maybe its better to have a season like this in transition than to have a season like this and missing the playoffs (2009 NDSU).

Wow you really need to get over your weird personal vendetta against Landry if you think that the only thing wrong with the team right now is the QB you might be dumber than that bison fan posting on a UND board what type of trash is being talked by Sioux fans on Montanas board. I guess I didn't know the teams other options at qb were Peyton manning and Tom Brady do you watch the games at all the TEAM is young and not very good right now stop blaming one guy for the whole teams bad season

Wow you really need to get over your weird personal vendetta against Landry if you think that the only thing wrong with the team right now is the QB you might be dumber than that bison fan posting on a UND board what type of trash is being talked by Sioux fans on Montanas board. I guess I didn't know the teams other options at qb were Peyton manning and Tom Brady do you watch the games at all the TEAM is young and not very good right now stop blaming one guy for the whole teams bad season

Are you even a football fan?? Who is the leader on offense...THE QUARTERBACK!!! He calls the plays in audibles, he throws the ball. Have you seen his stats? Not that impressive. He is a D2 QB on a FCS team. 61.8% completion rating, 11 TD 6 INT 1328yds Last year he had 12 TD and 9 INTs with a 59% completion rating not much improvement for a senior. And with this high flying offense he just doesn't fit the mold of a passing QB. He forces passes (we saw that against Idaho) he overthrows wide open receivers. So why shouldn't I blast the QB I sure the hell is not going to praise him.

Are you even a football fan?? Who is the leader on offense...THE QUARTERBACK!!! He calls the plays in audibles, he throws the ball. Have you seen his stats? Not that impressive. He is a D2 QB on a FCS team. 61.8% completion rating, 11 TD 6 INT 1328yds Last year he had 12 TD and 9 INTs with a 59% completion rating not much improvement for a senior. And with this high flying offense he just doesn't fit the mold of a passing QB. He forces passes (we saw that against Idaho) he overthrows wide open receivers. So why shouldn't I blast the QB I sure the hell is not going to praise him.

Whoa! First of all I am NOT a Landry fan. I think he just plain choked the first few series at Idaho, not what you would expect from a senior. BUT, on the other hand, he only has one bonafide wide receiver, no talent at the TE position and an O Line that is awful. Combine that with his DII ability and you get what we got. The team has more problems than QB, but amazingly they still had chances to win both at NIU and at CP. Hard to believe. They are doing some things right, but right now they are not where I expected them to be. I am disappointed in the way Muss explains after games. They are not overall competitive. Maybe it is youth, maybe it is coaching, maybe it is lack of talent. But, give the guy one more year to see improvement and then we can decide if this is as good as it is going to be.

Landry has seen his last snap as a UND QB. He is out for season with a knee injury. Go to Lamar thread to discuss.

Too bad, I think the kid really has a Sioux heart and wanted to do well for himself, but especially the UND program. He just seemed to get too excited at times. He will be remembered as the QB who took us to D1 and had some great games as well as some that could have been better. Thanks and best wishes to Jake as a fellow GF central grad. May your future be blessed.

Too bad, I think the kid really has a Sioux heart and wanted to do well for himself, but especially the UND program. He just seemed to get too excited at times. He will be remembered as the QB who took us to D1 and had some great games as well as some that could have been better. Thanks and best wishes to Jake as a fellow GF central grad. May your future be blessed.

Yeah Jake was our water boy at central when I played. He was this small curly haired kid who was just helping his dad out. To bad about the knee. Also from a fellow central alum best wishes jake.

Ha am I a fan ive seen every Sioux game since 1980 clearly you haven't the kid is a great leader which is obvious by him playing hurt and watch the game the coaches call the audibles at UND and as for a completion % of 61 the best qb in the country kellen moores is 64. And I guess I didn't consider a high flying offense one speedy receiver and a way below average line no tight end and two running backs who can't stay in the lineup. And as for picks some are bad throws but most are him trying to make plays to WIN games. Which is what a leader does. Wow a few more fans like you and we'll be the gophers. Overall was he the greatest ever probably not but not anywhere near as bad as you think

• 2 weeks later...

He probably does "deserve" another year. But if there is a potential change to be made, do we want it to be made in the offseason going into first Big Sky schedule or before the final Great West year?

I stand behind the earlier post. I don't see how Muss' overall record, or where the team is sitting this year, is an indicator that they are right on track for two years from now. I need to see wins to say they are right on track. I'm not seeing that. I'd feel differently about the track if there were say, a young QB that is making mistakes but shows signs of brilliance as well. Close losses also don't do much for me. NDSU hasn't had a sniff of the playoffs since they've been eligible, but it isn't like they are getting blown out. The difference between winning and losing is closer than it used to be at D2, so it will come down to a few plays here and there every week. The track the team is on now illustrates they are consistently on the wrong end of those plays. I don't think Muss' should be fired, but I don't think the team is on the right track either.

I personally feel watching the games that UND has been a very mistake prone team and that is really the biggest reason for the poor record. It certainly hasn't just been a problem at QB it's all over the field but the QB position is the most obvious place that this is noticed. In spite of the fact that I think UND hasn't really played well for a lot of the season they have been in most games this year which is very positive. If they come back next season a little more consistent in QB play, OL play, and secondary play they will be winning a lot more games and we aren't even discussing the UND coaching jobs.

I think Muss deserves at least another year and if they are as inconsistent and mistake prone next season he has to go, but I really don't think that will be the case. I do think some position coaching changes are needed for next season but I really doubt that is going to happen (just a guess though).

I am just wondering if this discussion is a bit premature until the Sioux get to the BSC? The 5 year transition process really is a dead zone for recruiting and you're not playing a very attractive schedule due to the transition.