SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs U OF. MANITOBA

AZSIOUX

The season is right around the corner and once again the Sioux start off with a home exh game vs The Bison of Manitoba. The Bison are 3-2 I believe and play St. Cloud the night before they play in Grand Forks.

7-2 Sioux

One Final season to hang a banner with the Sioux name!!

und.gif

Sioux Hockey home page

LogoUniversityManitobaBisons.jpg

Bison Hockey home page

Anyone want to start predicting lines?

OK, I'll play. Now, there will be extra skaters so these will vary quite a bit throughout the game, but here's what I foresee.

Gregoire - Knight - Kristo

Trupp - Malone - Frattin

Nelson - Lamoureux - Hextall

Cichy - Rowney - Bruneteau

Forbort - Genoway

Blood - MacWilliam

Simpson - LaPoint (Marto replaces Simpson if he is able to play...not sure what his injury status is).

Eidsness

Dell

Belfour

I don't know how, but we have 7 awesome defensemen...which means someone will have to sit. I think Forbort and Simpson will rotate in that final spot barring injury. Hak seems to like a puck mover with a defender on each defensive pairing, so I kept it true to form there for the most part.

The team lacks depth in the center position, which could hurt us. That was a strong suit last year, but losing two huge guys at that position in Zajac and Vande Velde will hurt. Malone has proven to be great there, but Knight is still relatively inexperienced, and Lamoureux doesn't scare too many opponents offensively, and that only covers three lines. Not knowing much about Rodwell, but has he played center in juniors? If so, that might be a huge asset.

Team POY - Chay is the easy pick, but I think Jason Gregoire will be right up there at the end of the year.

DOY - Chay, Blood as the runner up.

ROY - Nelson

Most Improved - Michael Cichy

MOY - Eades (mustache of the year)

The Kyle Radke Award for being the other team's worst nightmare - Andrew MacWilliam

FIGHTING SIOUX 8

BISONS 1

OK, I'll play. Now, there will be extra skaters so these will vary quite a bit throughout the game, but here's what I foresee.

Trupp - Malone - Frattin

The team lacks depth in the center position, which could hurt us. That was a strong suit last year, but losing two huge guys at that position in Zajac and Vande Velde will hurt. Malone has proven to be great there, but Knight is still relatively inexperienced, and Lamoureux doesn't scare too many opponents offensively, and that only covers three lines.

Nelson is a center as well...

Nelson is a center as well...

Yeah, I figured so much, but a lot of guys (ala Oshie) were centers but moved to a winger position for at least a year. Don't quote me, but I believe the same happened with Toews. I think Hak prefers to have experience in the faceoff circles because they can be a huge factor in a game. Nelson may be ready for that role immediately, or may not be, we don't know yet I guess. My gut tells me that by mid-season, he will probably be a full-time center.

Also, keep in mind, Hak does a TON of line changing each game until around New Years, then he has his lines set pretty well for the rest of the season, and then the patented 2nd half run ensues.

Gregoire has played center too, has he not? He might end up playing in a role like that as well. Guys who seem to take in each minute detail and are technically proficient seem to do well in that center position, and Gregoire certainly fits that billing.

Trupp - Malone - Frattin

Forbort - Genoway

Blood - MacWilliam

Simpson - LaPoint (Marto replaces Simpson if he is able to play...not sure what his injury status is).

Eidsness

Dell

Belfour

I don't know how, but we have 7 awesome defensemen...which means someone will have to sit. I think Forbort and Simpson will rotate in that final spot barring injury. Hak seems to like a puck mover with a defender on each defensive pairing, so I kept it true to form there for the most part.

The team lacks depth in the center position, which could hurt us. That was a strong suit last year, but losing two huge guys at that position in Zajac and Vande Velde will hurt. Malone has proven to be great there, but Knight is still relatively inexperienced, and Lamoureux doesn't scare too many opponents offensively, and that only covers three lines. Not knowing much about Rodwell, but has he played center in juniors? If so, that might be a huge asset.

Team POY - Chay is the easy pick, but I think Jason Gregoire will be right up there at the end of the year.

ROY - Nelson

The Kyle Radke Award for being the other team's worst nightmare - Andrew MacWilliam

FIGHTING SIOUX 8

BISONS 1

At least we have a compitent 3rd goal in Ed Belfour. Still has 3 years of eligibility left.

Yeah, I figured so much, but a lot of guys (ala Oshie) were centers but moved to a winger position for at least a year. Don't quote me, but I believe the same happened with Toews. I think Hak prefers to have experience in the faceoff circles because they can be a huge factor in a game. Nelson may be ready for that role immediately, or may not be, we don't know yet I guess. My gut tells me that by mid-season, he will probably be a full-time center.

Also, keep in mind, Hak does a TON of line changing each game until around New Years, then he has his lines set pretty well for the rest of the season, and then the patented 2nd half run ensues.

Gregoire has played center too, has he not? He might end up playing in a role like that as well. Guys who seem to take in each minute detail and are technically proficient seem to do well in that center position, and Gregoire certainly fits that billing.

Gregoire has NOT played center. And according to Hak, he will not be playing center this year. Too good along the wall. He didn't play center in juniors either. Hextall has played center in juniors, as has Trupp. Guys like Lammy & Rowney played center last year, so I'm not sure depth is a concern on the bottom 2 lines, I think it's depth on the top lines that might be an issue? That said, I think we'll be okay. I think Knight will do well up there.

Gregoire has NOT played center. And according to Hak, he will not be playing center this year. Too good along the wall. He didn't play center in juniors either. Hextall has played center in juniors, as has Trupp. Guys like Lammy & Rowney played center last year, so I'm not sure depth is a concern on the bottom 2 lines, I think it's depth on the top lines that might be an issue? That said, I think we'll be okay. I think Knight will do well up there.

once knight got moved to his natural center position last season, he thrived. i think he will be a pleasant surprise this season, and a great option for a top line center. like someone said earlier, nelson could end up being a top line center sometime this season too. i cant wait for the season!!

Trupp - Malone - Frattin

Forbort - Genoway

Blood - MacWilliam

Eidsness

Dell

Belfour

ROY - Nelson

FIGHTING SIOUX 8

BISONS 1

I think we have 8 great defensemen. Didn't Gleason lead the team in +/- last year? It will be interesting to see if he is playing forward right away or defense. I guess it might depend on whether Marto is ready or not. Also wouldn't be surprised to see a Blood or MacWilliam paired with Genoway to let him free wheel, plus someone to lay the smack down on anyone who even looks at Genoway wrong. Forwards look about what I was thinking although it's possible Rowney is at wing with Lamoureux and Nelson is center on line 4. I guess I can see both ways. I'm sure they'll play with combinations to see what works, but the first two lines seem like solid bets.

Trupp - Malone - Frattin

Forbort - Genoway

Blood - MacWilliam

Eidsness

Dell

Belfour

ROY - Nelson

FIGHTING SIOUX 8

BISONS 1

]

So I guess everyone believes Derek Rodwell will be sitting? I for one don't think so considering his size and supposed abilities.

]

So I guess everyone believes Derek Rodwell will be sitting? I for one don't think so considering his size and supposed abilities.

I'm thinking the same as you. From the descriptions I've read (internet scouting at its finest), I'm thinking something like Chris Porter. I think he and Mario could make life heck for opponents.

I would bet that almost everybody will get at least a little time against Manitoba. After that, I would imagine the competition will be fierce between Rodwell, Davidson, Cichy, Bruneteau and possibly Nelson. I'm sure each will have a chance to prove themselves. Could be that some step up more than others in that opportunity, and possibly some might be better suited for some types of games than others. You might not see Cichy for a very physical series, but you might see him on large ice surfaces. Bottom line is that whoever proves themselves in the opportunities they get will obviously get playing time. Nothing new here!

I know shutting a team out is tough to do.....and I also know its the first game of the year.....However, I really expect the sioux to not give up a goal this game. With the defensive core we have I would expect the sioux to give up an average of 25 shots or less the entire year. I'm betting Manitoba may get 15 shots at the most.

I'll say 9-1.....with Manitoba getting a cheap goal........

First goal bets?

I'll say Trupp....bank on it!

I think we have 8 great defensemen. Didn't Gleason lead the team in +/- last year? It will be interesting to see if he is playing forward right away or defense. I guess it might depend on whether Marto is ready or not. Also wouldn't be surprised to see a Blood or MacWilliam paired with Genoway to let him free wheel, plus someone to lay the smack down on anyone who even looks at Genoway wrong. Forwards look about what I was thinking although it's possible Rowney is at wing with Lamoureux and Nelson is center on line 4. I guess I can see both ways. I'm sure they'll play with combinations to see what works, but the first two lines seem like solid bets.

Worthless stat I'm told.

Joe Finley also led the team in +/- IIRC. And he sucked so I'm told.

In any case,

I'd put MacWilliam, Simpson, or Forbort with Genoway. I really like the idea of MacWilliam on the ice. Why? Because I like a guy with a mean streak on the ice when there is a guy the opposition is always gunning for on it as well. If someone runs Genoway again, I think it won't be just Malone or Hextall that comes unglued. I think MacWilliam will take the other guy out.

Ditka leads the team onto the ice and DA SIOUX beat da turf eaters 247 to 1

Seriously though:

The Bison are a bunch of ex-WHL washouts.

Steve Christie is probably their starting goaltender. They have a washed up duo of ex WHL goaltenders backing him up.

Their washed out draft picks include:

2 7th Rounders

2 6th Rounders

They also include Joey Moggach, who used to skate with BSU from 2006-8

Trupp - Malone - Frattin

Forbort - Genoway

Blood - MacWilliam

Eidsness

Dell

Belfour

The potential of the Trupp-Malone-Frattin line can almost make a grown man giddy! That line could be something special this year. Frattin will be a man amongst boys by the holiday break IMO.

There was a method to my PREDICTED D-corps pairings.

I wanted to leave MacWilliam and Blood together, seeing as they were together most of last year. Plus, it's just fun to see the two Bash Brothers out there going up against some of the better lines in the conference. Everyone knows Marto and LaPoint will be a pairing seeing as they have been for a couple years now (again, not sure if Marto can/will play Sunday, but if he can, he'll be LaPoint's partner).

So, that leaves the Genoway paring. I thought Forbort was the best choice. He has the size and defensive-mindedness to backup Genoway's offensive prowess, but Forbort also brings the offensive capabilities to complement Genoway's skills. Also, with Genoway being a [super] Senior, he'll be a good veteran presence out there to help Forbort get up to speed.

So, that leaves Simpson and Gleason out at the moment. Everyone knows Simpson is a stud, but he's still only 17, so that makes him a wild card right now. He may still need some developing, but he may be ready to dominate the WCHA from the get-go...I think he'll need a few months to adjust. Gleason is the odd-man out, but that's why he is now listed as a F/D instead of just a D. He's good enough to get playing time, so I hope we see him in there more than just a little.

Things will change so much during the game. You'll see a lot of the forward lines and defensive pairings change throughout the game, so this is more of a prediction for next week's opening Alaska Tourney than anything.