SiouxSports.com Forum

Proposal aired to combine NDSU and UND!

WYOBISONMAN

One public flagship university for the entire state would have been a good idea 130 years ago when they were starting these institutions. Too late now.

My sentiments exactly. I also agree pigs will fly before this is adopted. UND and NDSU are already part of the NDUS system. As for building a stadium midway in between Grand Forks and Fargo, I seriously question the rationale for this. Sounds like a pig in a poke to me. I believe implementing this would tear apart both institutions in one way or another. There is no way either UND or NDSU would at this late date want to be under the direction of the other in any way, shape or form. The alumni of the schools would simply not support it.

This is crackpot - even for bisonville.

How does this guy get an article in the forum? You gotta be kidding me. He paid someone off to print article about his fantasy.

Whatever...never happen in a million years.

Hey, we're making way more fun of this idea than siouxsports is. In fact, you guys are disappointing me. This is such a horribly bad idea that we should be seeing some epic mocking of it from you guys. I know you've got it in you. Let loose and have some fun with it.

Because I was interested and bored, I looked for a definition of a Flagship University and could only find a Wikipedia one that said "The phrase flagship campus or flagship university is often used with reference to state university systems in the United States, which often comprise numerous campuses in widely-separated locations. In this context, flagship means the original campus from which the system grew. Fulfilling the naval analogy, it is often (though not always) the site of the administrative headquarters for the system."

So, I looked to see if I could find a list of the flagship schools in each state. I found the following website, which had a good list My link

And still bored, I created a list. I only used U. of or State U. unless noted by state; some states have more than one system which is denoted by an *. Flagship schools are in bold and the dates are when the university was founded

*Alabama: U. of AL in Tuscaloosa (1831); AL State (1867)

Alaska: U. of AK

Hey, we're making way more fun of this idea than siouxsports is. In fact, you guys are disappointing me. This is such a horribly bad idea that we should be seeing some epic mocking of it from you guys. I know you've got it in you. Let loose and have some fun with it.

We UND folks are kinder to the, shall we politely say, "challenged" than other folks may be. It speaks volumes about both groups.

I completely support the idea that the NDUS could use more work to make it a more efficient system that fits the profile of our state. It is a bit rediculous that North Dakota has 11 public higher-ed institutions. On top of that, there are more 4 year institutions that 2 year. Add in UMary and Jamestown College and ND is way too saturated with 4 year universities. There is also no reason that we need 4 institutions offering graduate level degrees. Once again, you add in UMary's Masters program and we again have too many universitites fighting for graduate students.

I think that the state combing all colleges and universities into 1 university system was a great first step. The roundtables that were to continue to shape the system have unfortunately been extremely disappointing and inefficient. I appreciate the idea that Team North Dakota has as far as continuing to improve the university system, I just don't see how taking the 2 highest profile universities in the system and combining them without addressing any of the other issues in the system is good for ND. Why would we not want to have as many high profile, nationally ranked universities as possible?

Different ideas have been adressed numberous times in different forums such as this, the media, or in community settings, but here is my humble vision for the NDUS:

Top 100 nationally ranked graduate/research institutions:

UND

NDSU

Top ranked regional universities, undergraduate only:

Central Dakota University (Minot)

Western Dakota University (Dickinson)

2 year regional colleges:

Williston State College

Bottineau State College

Lake Region State College

Bismarck State College

Valley City State College

Mayville State College

North Dakota State College of Science

I think that every college and university in the state needs to have a better defined mission. The two year colleges would be trade/tech schools as well as feeder schools to the 4 four-year universities. Each could have a specialization beyond their general offerings of english, math, science classes and cover a broad spectrum of offerings such as diesel tech, beautician/cosmotology/ message, etc. I would like to see Wahpeton go back to its science/tech roots. Bottineau could continue to specialize in forestry, game & fish, etc. Williston and Bismarck could build on their specializations in tech/associate degrees in energy. Valley City and Mayville would cover all of your general 2 year college courses and work as a net to catch all of the transfers and drop-outs of UND/NDSU that end up going over the boarder to Minnesota to all of their 2 year colleges.

WDU (Dickinson) and CDU (Minot) would focus on undergraduate degrees and not offer any of their own graduate level courses. Each should be in the 4-5,000 enrollment range.

UND and NDSU would continue to grow and build into top 100 national universities and build up their graduate level offerings. With today's technology, UND, NDSU, WDU and CDU could all offer 4 year degrees at the 2 year colleges through such things as IVAN, online, correspondence, etc. And then UND and NDSU could also offer graduate level degrees at WDU and CDU through the same means.

I think this would really streamline the system and give better missions to all of the universities as well as be a better use of resources. There is absolutely no reason that Valley City needs to be offering a graduate degree right now!

Because I was interested and bored, I looked for a definition of a Flagship University and could only find a Wikipedia one that said "The phrase flagship campus or flagship university is often used with reference to state university systems in the United States, which often comprise numerous campuses in widely-separated locations. In this context, flagship means the original campus from which the system grew. Fulfilling the naval analogy, it is often (though not always[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flagship#cite_note-4]) the site of the administrative headquarters for the system."

It's interesting that you removed this portion of Wikipedia's article:

"A flagship campus is often a land-grant school dating from the wave of state university foundings that followed the Morrill Act of 1863."

It's interesting that ypou removed this portion of Wikipedia's article:

"A flagship campus is often a land-grant school dating from the wave of state university foundings that followed the Morrill Act of 1863."

Somebody is an NDSU fan. :lol:

Key word in that portion is "often" which means not in every instance. Such as the case with UND being the flagship university without being a land-grant school.

It's interesting that you removed this portion of Wikipedia's article:

I did not remove it, I left it out. The reason I left that out is because I did not see that as part of the definition. I saw that as an explanation of what is often a flagship school. And if you look at the dates of those schools, they are probably the oldest in that system whereas NDSU is a land-grant school and NOT the oldest in the system

Somebody is an NDSU fan. :lol:

Key word in that portion is "often" which means not in every instance. Such as the case with UND being the flagship university without being a land-grand school.

True enough, but it's also true that UND is not the "original campus" from which NDSU grew in any way. So, the defintion given does not exclude NDSU as a "Flagship University". In fact, NDSU status as a Land Grant institution does give it a status that UND simply does not share. North Dakota is generally considered to have two "Flagship Universities"

Until 'su gets its own medical and law schools, it will not be a "flagship" as far as other state universities are structured. Moreover, the fact "flagship" is singular, not plural, means there can only be one "flagship".

And as for the proposal to "merge" 'su and UND, that's probably more asinine than dumping the Sioux name/logo.

Until 'su gets its own medical and law schools, it will not be a "flagship" as far as other state universities are structured. Moreover, the fact "flagship" is singular, not plural, means there can only be one "flagship".

And as for the proposal to "merge" 'su and UND, that's probably more asinine than dumping the Sioux name/logo.

Berkeley has no Med School

True enough, but it's also true that UND is not the "original campus" from which NDSU grew in any way. So, the defintion given does not exclude NDSU as a "Flagship University". In fact, NDSU status as a Land Grant institution does give it a status that UND simply does not share. North Dakota is generally considered to have two "Flagship Universities"

it refers to the system! The system is the NDUS system. And most of the websites that I found did not list ND has having two flagship universities because as we only have ONE university system...we can only have one UNIVERSITY that the system grew out of.....NDSU did not start out as a university, they started out as an ag school.