SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

Listened to the High School Hockey Podcast http://www.youthhockeyhub.com/news_article/show/865435-bhs-hs-hockey-podcast
They were talking about early commits and how schools decommit from kids and kids decommit from schools. They mentioned that UND has pulled Mitchell Mattson's offer and he is no longer committed. They also mentioned it is pretty likely that Carter Randklev will end up at UND at least that is the heavy word on the street.

5 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

Listened to the High School Hockey Podcast http://www.youthhockeyhub.com/news_article/show/865435-bhs-hs-hockey-podcast
They were talking about early commits and how schools decommit from kids and kids decommit from schools. They mentioned that UND has pulled Mitchell Mattson's offer and he is no longer committed. They also mentioned it is pretty likely that Carter Randklev will end up at UND at least that is the heavy word on the street.

I always hate to hear about schools pulling offers, but it's probably the best option for Mattson in the long-run.  He's a pure offense-first power forward who is having remarkable difficulties scoring at USHL level.  Mattson would be way out of his element next year vs NCAA talent; a situation hardly conducive to development.         

9 hours ago, UNDlaw80 said:

I always hate to hear about schools pulling offers, but it's probably the best option for Mattson in the long-run.  He's a pure offense-first power forward who is having remarkable difficulties scoring at USHL level.  Mattson would be way out of his element next year vs NCAA talent; a situation hardly conducive to development.         

Out of the three players I've highlighted in the past, this probably makes the most sense. I wish Mattson the best of luck and hope he finds another school that's a better fit. I agree with @UNDlaw80 you never like to see it, but this type of thing happens.

9 hours ago, UNDlaw80 said:

I wouldn't necessarily say way out of his element, as there will be many that have similar scoring stats that will be making the move to the NCAA as well.  While we don't know where he will land yet, the competitive nature of the NCHC night in and night out would certainly be an eye opener for him.  Perhaps another league where his ice time would probably be better because I could definitely see him struggling to get consistent ice time in the ultra competitive NCHC. 

32 minutes ago, tnt said:

I wouldn't necessarily say way out of his element, as there will be many that have similar scoring stats that will be making the move to the NCAA as well.  While we don't know where he will land yet, the competitive nature of the NCHC night in and night out would certainly be an eye opener for him.  Perhaps another league where his ice time would probably be better because I could definitely see him struggling to get consistent ice time in the ultra competitive NCHC. 

One thing media types don’t understand is that it is a two way street.  Similar to the NHL draft, when a team gives you an offer it should be assumed you that said player continues to work their tail off and progress. Coaches get blasted all the time for pulling scholarships however this is an example of a kid flat lining.  I wish him the best though, hopefully this is a kick in the rear for him and he picks it up.

28 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

One thing media types don’t understand is that it is a two way street.  Similar to the NHL draft, when a team gives you an offer it should be assumed you that said player continues to work their tail off and progress. Coaches get blasted all the time for pulling scholarships however this is an example of a kid flat lining.  I wish him the best though, hopefully this is a kick in the rear for him and he picks it up.

Yes, I am certain that coaches are in contact telling players what they need to work on to transition successfully to the next level.  

Think Carter can do a pull up? 

“It’s just giving up your day-to-day lifestyle,” Randklev said. “First thing on my mind is you got to get better at hockey. Not everyone thinks that way because they’re a kid, especially when you're a teenager. You want to hang out with friends. You got to put a lot more work than people expect. Getting up every day and going in the gym and shooting pucks and being on the ice as much as you possibly can. If you’re not the biggest guy you have to spend hours on the ice to improve the skills.”

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

“It’s just giving up your day-to-day lifestyle,” Randklev said. “First thing on my mind is you got to get better at hockey. Not everyone thinks that way because they’re a kid, especially when you're a teenager. You want to hang out with friends. You got to put a lot more work than people expect. Getting up every day and going in the gym and shooting pucks and being on the ice as much as you possibly can. If you’re not the biggest guy you have to spend hours on the ice to improve the skills.”

Love this kid already. What a great attitude 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I saw him walking around at the St. Cloud game last weekend...not sure on the pull up :)  On a side note, he’s very small.  5’8” 150 may be a stretch.  He’s probably closer to 5’6” 135 

Just now, scpa0305 said:

I saw him walking around at the St. Cloud game last weekend...not sure on the pull up :)  On a side note, he’s very small.  5’8” 150 may be a stretch.  He’s probably closer to 5’6” 135 

Welp, if the kid works as hard as he says he does, he'll get that pull up in no time! :D

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

He's a player................don't doubt that. A poor man's version of Rocco.

28 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

He's a player................don't doubt that. A poor man's version of Rocco.

Probably accurate, sounds like he thinks the game well.  I’ve seen him play on Tv but never in person. Rocco was all motor, less of a play maker. 

2 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Probably accurate, sounds like me thinks the game well.  I’ve seems Jim okay but never in person. Rocco was all motor, less of a play maker. 

Tough to compare HS to college games but Carter has IMO better offensive skill at this stage than Rocco had as a Fr. at UND.

10 minutes ago, siouxczech29 said:

So does Randklev come in as a freshman next year?

If Randklev doesn’t we’re not done recruiting for next year.   Gersich is almost certainly gone,  that leaves 5 roster spots open at forward.  

Hain, Keane, Weatherby, Senden, (Randklev?).

26 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Tough to compare HS to college games but Carter has IMO better offensive skill at this stage than Rocco had as a Fr. at UND.

I don’t know, it’s also tough to compare what Randklev is doing playing HS Hockey to what Rocco was doing at the same ago.  Rocco was dominating at a much much higher level.  At his size, I believe he’s still the highest drafted player ever. Rocco was a blue chip.