SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

Looks like some things are already starting to fall into place for next year. Heisenberg has Danny Mattson commiting to Bemidji State as of today. Wonder if this is a similar situation to Mike Fink.

Good luck to d mattson in Bemidji! Didn't know he opened it back up. that does help with next years roster.

Looks like some things are already starting to fall into place for next year. Heisenberg has Danny Mattson commiting to Bemidji State as of today. Wonder if this is a similar situation to Mike Fink.

Wow, I wonder if this was more of the coaches withdrawing the offer because of the lack of progress. Although hes having a good season, this helps open up next year a bit more. I was looking forward to see him at UND ever since he commited out of the Holy Angels, good luck Danny at BSU.

I think this was a smart move on Mattson. He hasn't had the best junior career when it hadn't been derailed by injury.

I don't know what shoe dropped first and I always have a sour taste in my mouth when a player decommits from UND even if the reasons are just.

Mike Fink and Danny Mattson will be fine collegiate players. It's also apparent that they'd've not garnered much playing time at UND unless they outplayed starters in practice and it didn't seem like that was going to be very likely.

I think Mattson will do great with BSU.

And I hope his decision turns out for the best.

No hard feelings Danny. Best of luck at BSU.

Kind of surprised by this. Who knows what the impetus of this was. As long as the player is working hard at progressing, I don't know if the coaches would pull the plug or not. I think the Luke Beaverson situation was such that he wasn't taking the steps the coaches wanted him to for improvement, but really that is hearsay. Maybe it was just a situation that Mattson took a look at the situation of who is coming in and decided he wouldn't be able to be a go-to guy for the Sioux, or maybe the coaches hinted at that to him. I'm sure with the greater possibility of Kristo coming back than some of us thought might have added to the logjam in his eyes. Who knows, maybe Gregoire will stay for his Senior season. Hope he becomes a gopher-slayer with Bemidji State. It does go to show that it is quite a leap from dominating at the high school level (even in Minnesota), and carrying that over to the USHL and beyond. That said, I think he will be a very valuable player for Bemidji State.

So is the other Mattson recruit going to jump ship too? We will need dman in the coming years.

If he didn't de-commit when he was pushed back to the USHL this year, I highly doubt he's going to de-commit now. Plus, he probably knows with our lack of D recruits his playing time next year is looking pretty good. :lol:

So is the other Mattson recruit going to jump ship too? We will need dman in the coming years.

Also there is no relation between the two Mattson's, so if you were thinking brothers/cousins both jumping ship it isn't true. Danny Mattson de-committing makes sense with all the forwards coming in and in addition to Taylor Dickin. Now on D is another story, in two years we'll need Nick Mattson shoring up our D.

No.

I read the story preseason about how Nick was originally slated to come this year but he decided to stay one more year in the USHL because Genoway came back.

He'll be in Grand Forks next year and will jump right in.

He seemed (from what you can get from an article) to be a good kid with a great head on his shoulders.

I'm bummed on Danny. Got to meet him during his senior year of high school and he was super excited to join the Sioux. Loved how the fans traveled. He's a hell of an athlete. Also his mom played tennis for UND if I remember what he told me.

Redline Report ranked UND's 2011 recruiting class #1 in the nation:

http://host.madison.com/sports/blog/article_f602d596-1a71-11e0-86d6-001cc4c03286.html

1. North Dakota (Western Collegiate Hockey Association).

2. Miami (Central Collegiate Hockey Association).

3. Minnesota (WCHA).

4. Denver (WCHA).

5. Harvard (Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference).

6. Ohio State (CCHA).

7. Vermont (Hockey East Association).

8. Cornell (ECAC).

9. Northeastern (HEA).

I started thinking about next year and the players coming in. With four senior forwards (Frattin, Trupp, Malone, Davidson) and three senior defensemen (Marto LaPoint, Genoway) gone for sure, it seems a little strange that we only have one defenseman coming in. Let me know if I'm missing something but what I see coming in next year is:

Nick Mattson (D), Mark MacMillan (F), Michael Parks (F), Rocco Grimaldi (F), JT Miller (F), Colton St Clair (F), Brendan O'Dponnel (F).

If things stay where they are today and noone leaves early that leaves us with

Defensemen: MacWilliam, Forbort, Blood, Simpson, Gleason, Mattson, Hill. So only 7 defensemen with Hill never really playing and Gleason hardly playing D this year.

Forwards: Lamoureux, Gregoire, Hextall, Kristo, Knight, Rowney, Rodwell, Nelson, Cichy, Bruneteau, Dickin, MacMillan, Parks, Grimaldi, Miller, St Clair, and O'Donnell. So 17 forwards. Man that's a lot of forwards.

Goalies: Dell, Eidsness, Maris (I'm assuming they leave Gotheberg play another year in the USHL. So that leaves us with a 27 man roster.

Am I missing an incoming defensemen or is Gleason expected to play regularly and somehow Hill has developed into a reliable backup without ever playing a game?

I'm actually fine with Gleason playing everyday. He performed well last year but I think we need one more defensemen on this team.

And looking at the forwards man are there a lot of good players going to be sitting every game unless some leave due to not getting the playing time they'd hoped for.

Thoughts?

I started thinking about next year and the players coming in. With four senior forwards (Frattin, Trupp, Malone, Davidson) and three senior defensemen (Marto LaPoint, Genoway) gone for sure, it seems a little strange that we only have one defenseman coming in. Let me know if I'm missing something but what I see coming in next year is:

Nick Mattson (D), Mark MacMillan (F), Michael Parks (F), Rocco Grimaldi (F), JT Miller (F), Colton St Clair (F), Brendan O'Dponnel (F).

Defensemen: MacWilliam, Forbort, Blood, Simpson, Gleason, Mattson, Hill. So only 7 defensemen with Hill never really playing and Gleason hardly playing D this year.

Forwards: Lamoureux, Gregoire, Hextall, Kristo, Knight, Rowney, Rodwell, Nelson, Cichy, Bruneteau, Dickin, MacMillan, Parks, Grimaldi, Miller, St Clair, and O'Donnell. So 17 forwards. Man that's a lot of forwards.

Goalies: Dell, Eidsness, Maris (I'm assuming they leave Gotheberg play another year in the USHL. So that leaves us with a 27 man roster.

Am I missing an incoming defensemen or is Gleason expected to play regularly and somehow Hill has developed into a reliable backup without ever playing a game?

I'm actually fine with Gleason playing everyday. He performed well last year but I think we need one more defensemen on this team.

And looking at the forwards man are there a lot of good players going to be sitting every game unless some leave due to not getting the playing time they'd hoped for.

Thoughts?

My thoughts... for the love of pete we need another d-man recruit for next year. If anything to make it more competitive in practice for those final lineup spots.

Thoughts?

I would expect that they will sign another defenseman. They may even need 2 if someone signs early (Blood or MacWilliam?). It will probably be someone from the BCHL or AJHL that is a little older. Up front I would guess that they expect 1 or 2 underclassmen will leave (Gregoire would have been a strong candidate before the injury). Also, again this year we have seen that you need a lot of bodies because of potential injuries.

Does anyone know if UND has looked at Nolan Zajac?? I know this is more suited for the Prospective recruits thread, but since the topic of needing at least one defensemen for next year was brought up........ He is having a pretty good year in Cedar Rapids, not a big kid, but seems to move the puck well, and has family ties to UND......he may be someone they could bring in last minute...... Any other names circulating out there???

• Upvote 1