SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

Per Heisenberg

Welcome aboard JT Miller and Stephan Matteau!!

Wow great work to get those guys. We have some serious forwards lined up for the future. I wouldn't want to be making the decision on who's coming when but the options certainly seem promising.

Now it's time for some D.

added miller and mattteau

FUTURE COMMITED RECRUITS

NICK MATTSON - D - Indiana - USHL - 11' - Drafted 6th Rd. (#180) - CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS

DANNY MATTSON - F - Chicago - USHL - 11' (undrafted)

MICHAEL PARKS - F - Cedar Rapids - USHL - 11' - Drafted 5th Rd. (#149) - PHILADELPHIA FLYERS

BRENDAN O'DONNELL - F - Penticton Vees - BCHL - 11' - Drafted 6th Rd. (#156) - TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING

ZANE GOTHBERG - G - Fargo Force - USHL - 11' / 12' - Drafted 6th Rd. (#165) - BOSTON BRUINS

COLTEN ST. CLAIR - F - Fargo Force - USHL - 11' (2011 Draft Prospect)

MARK MACMILLIN - F - Penticton Vees - BCHL - 11' - Drafted 4th Rd. (#113) - MONTREAL CANADIENS

ROCCO GRIMALDI - F - US U18 NTDP - (2011 draft prospepct)

JACK ROWE - F - Team Illinois MIDGET - 12' / 13'

MILES KOULES - F - US U17 / 12' - 13'

JORDAN SCHMALTZ - D - Sioux City - USHL - 12'

JT MILLER - F - USNDPT 18 - 11' / 12' - (2011 Draft Prospect)

STEPHAN MATTEAU - F - USNDPT 17 - 12'

I remember a time when the Sioux would be about the only top program in the country that didn't have USA team members in their program and used to get a lot of our recruits from Shattuck. Now it seems it has gone the other way, although Koules played at Shattuck. I would assume they have prospects for defense for next year that they are waiting for verbals from.

Per Heisenberg

Welcome aboard JT Miller and Stephan Matteau!!

Hak & Co. are on fire lately. I can't believe the high end talent UND is starting to build up in their recruits, I'm obviously bias but I gotta believe the program's reputation in the NHL has got to be helping in landing some of these guys. And by the way, if Miller comes in with his buddy Rocco next year Danny Mattson might have to call Mike Fink for advice. Danny is off to a good start this year in Chicago, but it is hard to beilieve he won't be forced to look at the numbers.

With Mattson scoring in the USHL this year, I hope he's still coming in. I know you have to be a two-way player to play at UND, and I agree with that, but hopefully he'll have learned that after his two years in the USHL. When I saw him in HS, he really had top-end skills. Most of the recent recruits are for a bit further out than next year as well.

Wow! Hak and Co are on fire with all these USNTDP recruits!!

Nicely done!!

All these new commits are making the Danny Mattson thing seem more and more iffy.

He's almost 20 years old.

Considering that we lose 4 forwards to graduation and potentially another 2 forwards to early departures, I think there is room for everyone. :)

I still think Mattson will be coming to UND in the fall.

All these new commits are making the Danny Mattson thing seem more and more iffy.

He's almost 20 years old.

I was excited when we landed Danny Mattson with how he torn up Minnesota hockey, I guess it's taken him some time to develop. Remember though we have 7 seniors graduating this year, 4 being forwards. Thats not including any flight risks to pros (Gregoire, Kristo, I'd be surprised if Blood was gone) or transfers which is probably highly likely with our talent we have sitting. We'll have the same amount of total skaters in 2011 as we have this year(23). Just more of a logjam at forward instead of defense this year.

2011 - Possible not including JT Miller

Andrew MacWilliam D Jun

Joe Gleason D Jun

Ben Blood D Sen

Ryan Hill D Jun

Derek Forbort D Soph

Dillon Simpson D Soph

Nick Mattson D Fresh

Total Defense 7

Danny Kristo F Jun

Michael Cichy F Jun

Mario Lamoureux F Sen

Corban Knight F Jun

Brett Bruneteau F Jun

Jason Gregoire F Sen

Brett Hextall F Sen

Carter Rowney F Jun

Derek Rodwell F Soph

Brock Nelson F Soph

Colten St Clair F Fresh

Michael Parks F Fresh

Danny Mattson F Fresh

Brendan O'Donnell F Fresh

Mark MacMillin F Fresh

Rocco Grimaldi F Fresh

Total Forwards 16

Brad Eidness G Sen

Aaron Dell G Jun

Tate Maris G Jun

Total Goalies 3

Total Skaters 23

• Upvote 2

I got to see Mattson play in Fargo the other week and he looked better than St. Clair on that occasion. I think people are putting too much emphasis on stats. These aren't the USHL days of Kevin Hoogsteen and Greg Johnson where you have 100+ point seasons. In fact, on a night in and night out basis you would have a hard time telling between guys that have college scholarships in hand and those that are still hoping to get the call. I suppose guys like Grimaldi stick out on a nightly basis, but guys like him are few and far between. Look at a guy like Seth Ambroz for example. He has a goal and an assist in 6 games, yet it is possible he is a top 10 pick in the NHL draft, although supposedly his stock is falling a little bit. I see a guy like Mattson as a good role player. Fast, and from what I saw, a good penalty killer. Don't know if he would have the same opportunity on the powerplay here, but whose to say. I know I thought LaPoint would be the offensive stud here at UND, and look at the role he is playing now, Friday's game aside. That role is no less important. I find myself looking at stats for the purpose of quantifying how good they are, or could be, but I see many of the players that came to UND with high expectations and big stats seemed to underperform or not be as important as some of the role players that came in with low expectations. I'm sure everyone can think of a few players like that.

• Upvote 1

I was excited when we landed Danny Mattson with how he torn up Minnesota hockey, I guess it's taken him some time to develop. Remember though we have 7 seniors graduating this year, 4 being forwards. Thats not including any flight risks to pros (Gregoire, Kristo, I'd be surprised if Blood was gone) or transfers which is probably highly likely with our talent we have sitting. We'll have the same amount of total skaters in 2011 as we have this year(23). Just more of a logjam at forward instead of defense this year.

2011 - Possible not including JT Miller

Andrew MacWilliam D Jun

Joe Gleason D Jun

Ben Blood D Sen

Ryan Hill D Jun

Derek Forbort D Soph

Dillon Simpson D Soph

Nick Mattson D Fresh

Total Defense 7

Danny Kristo F Jun

Michael Cichy F Jun

Mario Lamoureux F Sen

Corban Knight F Jun

Brett Bruneteau F Jun

Jason Gregoire F Sen

Brett Hextall F Sen

Carter Rowney F Jun

Derek Rodwell F Soph

Brock Nelson F Soph

Colten St Clair F Fresh

Michael Parks F Fresh

Danny Mattson F Fresh

Brendan O'Donnell F Fresh

Mark MacMillin F Fresh

Rocco Grimaldi F Fresh

Total Forwards 16

Brad Eidness G Sen

Aaron Dell G Jun

Tate Maris G Jun

Total Goalies 3

Total Skaters 23

Isn't Taylor Dickens coming in at X-mas break?

I count 18 possible forwards for 2011:

Mario Lamoureux

Jason Gregoire

Brett Hextall

Danny Kristo

Mike Cichy

Corban Knight

Brett Bruneteau

Carter Rowney

Derek Rodwell

Brock Nelson

Taylor Dicken

Rocco Grimaldi

Mark MacMillan

Colten St. Clair

Michael Parks

Brendan O'Donnell

Danny Mattson

JT Miller

Figure that Gregoire and Kristo COULD go early. Mattson will likely come and I have a hard time seeing who defers a year.

Similarly the Sioux have the potential for 16 forwards already in 2012:

Danny Kristo

Mike Cichy

Corban Knight

Brett Bruneteau

Carter Rowney

Derek Rodwell

Brock Nelson

Taylor Dicken

Rocco Grimaldi

Mark MacMillan

Colten St. Clair

Michael Parks

Brendan O'Donnell

Danny Mattson

JT Miller

Stefan Matteau

And already there are potentially 13 forwards in 2013:

Derek Rodwell

Brock Nelson

Taylor Dicken

Rocco Grimaldi

Mark MacMillan

Colten St. Clair

Michael Parks

Brendan O'Donnell

Danny Mattson

JT Miller

Stefan Matteau

Miles Koules

Jack Rowe

And yes the Sioux will lose some forwards early. That said I think that we are near the end for forwards until 2013...

• Upvote 1

And while we are at it here is the D picture. 8 is typically the desired number.

2011 (7)

Ben Blood

Andrew MacWilliam

Joe Gleason

Ryan Hill

Dillon Simpson

Derek Forbort

Nick Mattson

2012 (7)

Andrew MacWilliam

Joe Gleason

Ryan Hill

Dillon Simpson

Derek Forbort

Nick Mattson

Jordan Schmaltz

2013 (4)

Dillon Simpson

Derek Forbort

Nick Mattson

Jordan Schmaltz

• Upvote 1

Nice work siouxnami, but I think you're asking a lot to have Forbort here beyond his sophomore year. I know typically that UND defensemen with NHL potential have stayed through their junior year (Greene, Smaby, Finley, Chorney, etc.), but Forbort has already proven he is ready for college, and by the end of his sophomore year, he may be ready for that next step.

I think Simpson is destined to be AT LEAST a 3 year player, but who knows with that either. What if he hits his stride and by the end of next year is one of our top 2 or 3 defensemen?

There's a lot of unknowns and unpredictability with the future.

The sad part is if some of these kids grew up wanting to be Fighting Sioux, and will never get the opportunity. :(

Nice work siouxnami, but I think you're asking a lot to have Forbort here beyond his sophomore year. I know typically that UND defensemen with NHL potential have stayed through their junior year (Greene, Smaby, Finley, Chorney, etc.), but Forbort has already proven he is ready for college, and by the end of his sophomore year, he may be ready for that next step.

I think Simpson is destined to be AT LEAST a 3 year player, but who knows with that either. What if he hits his stride and by the end of next year is one of our top 2 or 3 defensemen?

There's a lot of unknowns and unpredictability with the future.

The sad part is if some of these kids grew up wanting to be Fighting Sioux, and will never get the opportunity. :(

Yeah, I listed many players that I didn't really think would be there, I just wanted to show potential numbers. Not that I am a nerd, but I keep a spreadsheet...

I could see JT Miller being a 2012 recruit instead of 2011.

If we're still in the running for Michaelson (like it sounds we are), then I imagine he wouldn't come until 2013 as well since he is still only a junior in HS...finish out HS and then a year of juniors potentially.

Should be interesting. Nice to have all these talented players incoming regardless. :)