SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux Hockey 2010-2011

brianvf

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the coaches, not Finehage, that created the situation to have as many as 10 D on scholarship next year, if Genoway stays and Forbort, Mattson, Simpson all come next year, and that doesn't count Davidson either.

I agree with this, except for one thing... No one, not even the coaches, could have imagined the possibility of having Genoway for a 5th season. It's a tight squeeze, even with nine, but it's not a terrible situation to have two blueliiners in each class, and that's what the coaching staff was hoping for:

Seniors: Lapoint and Marto

Juniors: Blood and Fienhage

Sophomores: Gleason and MacWilliam

Freshmen: Forbort and/or Mattson and/or Simpson

Uber-Senior Genoway complicates the mix...

Hill will also be a sophomore next season, but I've left him off of the above list. Fienhage will get squeezed next season (whether or not Genoway comes back), but as a senior, when Lapoint and Marto have graduated and Blood (almost certainly) and MacWilliam (possibly) have left school early, there's plenty of ice for Fienhage.

If even one of Forbort, Mattson, and Simpson can delay one season, I like Fienhage staying.

Dave

From what I've heard, Fienhage's lack of playing time can be attributed to a bad attitude and a poor work ethic, rather than the coaches stringing him along. At the beginning of the season Fienhage felt that he deserved a roster spot and didn't give as much effort in practice as the other players. Around the time of Genoway's injury, Fienhage's advisor told him that he shouldn't play for UND anymore. Of course, the longer Genoway was out, the more playing time Fienhage got so he stayed.

I don't think we can quite say this:

I totally agree Finehage has done nothing to bring this situation apon himself. It is difficult for all parties involved, especially if Genoway returns.

without considering the possibility of this:

From what I've heard, Fienhage's lack of playing time can be attributed to a bad attitude and a poor work ethic, rather than the coaches stringing him along. At the beginning of the season Fienhage felt that he deserved a roster spot and didn't give as much effort in practice as the other players. Around the time of Genoway's injury, Fienhage's advisor told him that he shouldn't play for UND anymore. Of course, the longer Genoway was out, the more playing time Fienhage got so he stayed.

...Around the time of Genoway's injury, Fienhage's advisor told him that he shouldn't play for UND anymore. Of course, the longer Genoway was out, the more playing time Fienhage got so he stayed.

Well......

That's interesting!

I heard something along those lines as well and that was why davidson got into the lineup att he end of the year before gleason got hurt.

I don't think there is that much of a problem. UND began the year with 8 defensemen. Suddenly, Genoway is out and the team is down to 7, with one (Hill) having no experience at this level at all. The Sioux played the same six defensemen until late February. We learned that Davidson had been skating with the defense, and he began getting playing time. Why? Because of even further injuries. Now we learn that even with Davidson we were short experienced Dmen as Gleason got hurt, Marto was hurt so bad he couldn't practice for the last month, and Blood was hurt.

We don't know what the Genoway plan is for next year, but I suspect that the coaches do. What's critical is that they couldn't plan for the Genoway situation when they were doing recruiting. I would not be surprised to see UND go with 9 on defense next year after the issues of this year. With that many at D you can then rest people when they are knicked up and not go into the off-season quite so beat up.

As for Davidson, he came as a walk-on and a project. Whether or not he has a future at D, only the coaches know but I don't know that I would put him above any regular Dman. Maybe he goes back to being a forward. I would suspect that if anyone is short-changed it will be Hill first. Maybe they will have a system of rotating dmen through the last few spots to give everyone time to play, and bring the freshmen along slowly, although Gleason and MacWilliam seemed to slide right in this year. At this point I don't think we know enough about who is coming or going, staying or leaving, or coming in or going USHL to judge if someone is getting the short end.

After reading Brad's post again about Finehage/Kamploops, something doen't seem right.

Brad said that Finehage "may have to estimate how much he's going to play next season."

It's the coaches, not Finehage, that created the situation to have as many as 10 D on scholarship next year, if Genoway stays and Forbort, Mattson, Simpson all come next year, and that doesn't count Davidson either.

We also hear about "the program" and quotes from players referring to sticking with the program when times get tough.

I know it would be inconvenient for everyone if Finehage stayed next year but why shouldn't he stay and be part of the "program" - doesn't the "program" come before the individual?

Bottom line - the coaching staff has put this young man in a tough position - they convinced him to come here to play college hockey - if they don't want him around next season they should man up and do it face to face.

And another thing - we have a published report about a Jr. team commenting about a current Sioux player - where is the reaction from the UND coaching staff and Finehage - did you pick up the phone, Brad?

Fienhage is in this situation because he has simply not been good enough to crack the lineup. Look at the Yale game, Davidson (a walk on foward) had a lot more shifts on the blue line than Fienhage. He has some size and skill, but he is simply not fast enough for this level.

Fienhage is in this situation because he has simply not been good enough to crack the lineup. Look at the Yale game, Davidson (a walk on foward) had a lot more shifts on the blue line than Fienhage. He has some size and skill, but he is simply not fast enough for this level.

Fienhage may be a better fit in the WHL, its a fast paced league that needs some good hitters. If I was told I would be a potential starter, I'd take off. Especially with arguably the best defensive recruiting class in the nation coming in.

The last Wed media session had some answers to common offseason questions:

For the last time this season, the media gathered at Ralph Engelstad Arena for a press conference with coach Dave Hakstol. He touched on a number of subjects.

1. Chay Genoway will take some time to make his decision. Chay is an extremely smart individual (as evidenced by his GPA). He knows and understands his situation. He knows and understands NHL contracts and the collective bargaining agreement. When he does make a decision, it is going to be a very informed and a well thought-out decision. On a down note, Chay still has not been medically cleared to play hockey.

2. Hakstol said there's a great chance that UND will have all of its key pieces back for next season, other than the outgoing seniors.

3. Hakstol said it's time for players to start preparing for next year. He said that one or two players did not have good summers in 2009 and that cannot happen again. He said the Sioux need every player to have a good-to-great summer. The example I used today was Ben Blood. Hakstol said Blood was one of the players who set the bar very high last summer, but was not the only guy who did a great job.

4. Next season could be an exciting one for the Sioux, but Hakstol basically said that if the guys do not have good summers, they will not be very good.

5. Corban Knight will likely play center next season. He could get an opportunity to center one of the top lines (Brad Malone will center the other one). Hakstol said some of UND's younger players are natural centermen. I specifically asked whether Jason Gregoire could move to center and Hakstol said that he will not. He said Gregoire is too good along the wall and that left wing is his best position. He will remain there.

6. It is too early to know if Brent Davidson will stay at defense or go back to forward. Hakstol said they will have to evaluate what they have. He said that Davidson will do whatever the team needs and he praised Davidson for the work he did to be ready to play defense for the team during the stretch run.

7. UND will be evaluating Joe Gleason in the next week and will get a better idea of where he's at. Gleason may be a few weeks away from getting going on off-season workouts but Hakstol didn't anticipate that it would be anything that would keep him out for a chunk of the summer.

8. Blood, Jake Marto and Andrew MacWilliam are on the mend from their upper-body injuries. All three are pretty tough guys. I'm not sure how long it will be until they can start lifting.

9. Chris VandeVelde said on The Pipeline Show last night that he anticipates signing with the Edmonton Oilers this week. He will likely play in Springfield for the rest of the season. I haven't heard about anything imminent for Darcy Zajac.

Genoway update status unknown right now.

I like Knight as a top 2 line center with Malone, who essentially takes over for VV.

All "key" pieces back for next season. Good news about Gregoire, Malone, Frattin, etc. Possibly a surprise like Fienhage though to depart.

The last Wed media session had some answers to common offseason questions:

Genoway update status unknown right now.

I like Knight as a top 2 line center with Malone, who essentially takes over for VV.

All "key" pieces back for next season. Good news about Gregoire, Malone, Frattin, etc. Possibly a surprise like Fienhage though to depart.

I wonder if any questions were asked about the published report from Kamloops re: Finehage - it doesn't look like it. Very strange that there has been no reaction and/or no request for a reaction from the media/Brad.

Also - the D logjam has nothing to do with the quality of Finehage's play/attitiude. Removing Simpson and Genoway from the equation, there would have been 8 D on scholarship next year.

Who sits - not Marto or LaPoint, not McWiliam or Blood. Forbort and Mattson don't come in to ride the pine.

Also - I'm certain Simpson would have had to make the decision to accelerate his schooling prior to the season starting, indicating the Sioux staff wanted him to come early regardless of how Finehage played this year.

I wonder if any questions were asked about the published report from Kamploops re: Finehage - it doesn't look like it. Very strange that there has been no reaction and/or no request for a reaction from the media/Brad.

Also - the D logjam has nothing to do with the quality of Finehage's play/attitiude. Removing Simpson and Genoway from the equation, there would have been 8 D on scholarship next year.

Who sits - not Marto or LaPoint, not McWiliam or Blood. Forbort and Mattson don't come in to ride the pine.

Also - I'm certain Simpson would have had to make the decision to accelerate his schooling prior to the season starting, indicating the Sioux staff wanted him to come early regardless of how Finehage played this year.

Hypothetically, you put Fienhage next to Marto for the whole year and I'd say he comes out looking as good as LaPoint. Not a knock on LaPoint, but Marto made him look better than his skill set.

I've never coached hockey or played it but just asking:

Is there a benefit with all of the D men we have coming back to have some sort of rotation set up so a player plays 3- 4 games for example and gets the 5th night off?

Would they be better rested coming into March with having some time off? I think about how much energy Frats had after coming in later in the year.

Once again, not a coach here or a former player just a big fan.

The major junior deal is due to an agreement between the CHL and NHL. Fienhage is a drafted player, a project, and not ready for an investment by Buffalo. He also is fortunate to be able to still be young enough to play junior hockey. Therefore, he will play for the CHL club that has his rights.

Fienhage does not deserve this? Please, he didn't earn it. I would've never believed that Gleason and of all people Davidson would skate in front of him when he came in. He simply is not good enough and didn't work hard enough to get good enough.

What were blood and marto's upper body injuries?

I like Knight at center, always have. I like him centering Kristo and Gregoire. That keeps Malone Trupp and Frattin together.

That's a pretty solid top two lines.

The major junior deal is due to an agreement between the CHL and NHL. Fienhage is a drafted player, a project, and not ready for an investment by Buffalo. He also is fortunate to be able to still be young enough to play junior hockey. Therefore, he will play for the CHL club that has his rights.

Fienhage does not deserve this? Please, he didn't earn it. I would've never believed that Gleason and of all people Davidson would skate in front of him when he came in. He simply is not good enough and didn't work hard enough to get good enough.

The D number's situation doesn't have anything to do with Finehage's performence/attitude.

Say, for example, he had split equal time with Gleason this year. We still have too many D.

Even if Genoway can't/doesn't stay and Simpson comes for Mattson - that's 8 D on scholarship.

Even if you think Finehage is a bum and shouldn't be playing, someone else will have to ride the pine as well. In the above scenario it won't be either Forbort or Simpson.

What were blood and marto's upper body injuries?

I like Knight at center, always have. I like him centering Kristo and Gregoire. That keeps Malone Trupp and Frattin together.

hak mentioned yesterday that a couple of players did not have good summers last year I wonder if Fienhage was one of those he was referencing.

I wonder if this is part of what Hakstol was talking about yesterday with regards to off-season training?

That's two very solid top lines.

I expect great things from Knight next year. I didn't really notice him early on, but he sure made his presence known in the second half. I remember reading about him in the committed prospects thread and thinking, 'wow! he'll be fun to watch' and then being rather disappointed.

By the end of January I was drinking the CK Kool-Aid.

Scholarships aren't lolipops at the bank.

It is the job of the coaching staff to build the best product for the ice while adhering to the ideals and traditions of the program including developing college hockey players for the next level and developing young men of character.

Fienhage was given an opportunity, and he did not make the most of it.

I think talent and ability reflects a lot on the logjam. If there is a log jam, and you are good enough to play, you will.

It is my personal opinion that Lapoint is the next odd man out. For some reason Hak loves him. I do not. I prefer Gleason.

Again, sorry that I invited you to the dance, it turns out that there is someone better out there, and I am going home with them.

I wonder if any questions were asked about the published report from Kamloops re: Finehage - it doesn't look like it. Very strange that there has been no reaction and/or no request for a reaction from the media/Brad.

No, they don't come in to ride the pines --- unless they aren't able to perform up the level required of them to be in the lineup. I am sure Fienhage didn't come in to ride the pines either being a high draft pick, but he is. Just because you are highly touted does not mean you will automatically see playing time. David Toews hasn't got to play as much as everyone thought either, but I don't see anyone pleading his cause. Ben Blood stepped up after he didn't get playing time last year. That's what is required -- stepping up.

Fienhage has played hard and has made the best of his opportunity, its not easy to crack the lineup of a top ten team in college. Heck we had what 15 or 16 draft picks, most WHL teams only have like 3-5 draft picks, you cant tell me he wouldnt have a better opportunity for PLAYING time which is needed for growth. Granted this year he did play well when asked to come in, 30 games is quite a bit.

That being said, he would benefit from leaving, its not going to be easier to crack the lineup next year.