SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux Hockey 2010-2011

brianvf

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now we are talking . . . .

Smail is who I forgot...I had ludwig originally, then when I restructured my post, I forgot him...ehhhh

There are the fighting legends too...dean dechsyn, dan brennan...

I was born in 76, so going much deeper than that is hearsay for me

So, if you are going to put together the all-time Sioux team...who is on there?

I left Greg johnson off my original list of players; he is the all-time points leader in Sioux history too...

Taylor, Smail and Sykes

Hrkac, Joyce and S. Johnson

Parise, Bochenski and Murray

Toews, Oshie and Duncan

Blake, Panzer and Hoogsteen

Murray, Archie and Goren

G. Johnson, Ward and Romaniuk

T. Zajac, Stafford and Eades

Patrick and Ludwig

Kidd and Commodore

Roche and Murphy

Parent and M. Chorney

Genoway and T. Chorney

Belfour

Casey

Goehring

Lamoureaux

Make the cuts...

Smail is who I forgot...I had ludwig originally, then when I restructured my post, I forgot him...ehhhh

There are the fighting legends too...dean dechsyn, dan brennan...

I was born in 76, so going much deeper than that is heresay for me

You do a pretty nice job for being a 76'er. Man, was that a year. When you were three,

the Sioux had a chance to win first of what would have been back-to-back Crowns.

Billy Stankoven let in three early goals to the Gophers, in Detroit of all places, and then

the Iwabucci era began after Gino yanked Billy in what was his last year and his last game.

The Sioux would have won that game but for the three that Billy the Sieve let in early. Wonder

what he is doing today. I am sure he would not mind laughing about that sting now.

The teams just before then were not that good, maybe in part because Rube was at the helm.

I was cheering for the Gophers that year as I was in enrolled there at the time having followed

Broten down. Only about 642,000 years left in Purgatory on that offense.

Had Neil went to North Dakota, I would have too, and I'd be the University President by now.

The name and the logo would be safe.

That '79 team that came back in '80 to win a Crown featured both the legend and the legacy

who is North Dakota Hockey right now, Carey Eades. And Frank Burgraff. And Howard Walker.

Studs and legends, with legacies and banners to boot, all. These are the guys that will be remembered

the most. Those who stay, those who win, and those who hang banners.

Parise, Toews, and Oshie are just farts in the wind.

I hate how todays fans are so caught up in winning National Championships, Super Bowls, World Series & Stanley Cups. It seems like todays fans consider the whole seasom a failure if there favorite team doesnt win the big one. Why cant people just be happy when there team has an exciting season? The Sioux havent won the NCAA title since 2000 but since then they have won everything else multiple times. How many schools can say that? They have had some of there best players in Sioux history and guys that are Stars in the NHL. I hate to say it but a Parise and Toews doesnt come along very often and we may not see players like them for a very long time, if ever in our life times. I mean guys who are top NHL players, captains of their teams and 2 of the best players for there country during the olympics.

Last year the last 2 months of the Twins season was about as exciting as I can ever remember. I knew they had no chance to win the World Series but I still enjoyed every minute of it. Last year the Vikes had there best season since 1998. I had hoped they could get to the Super Bowl and win it, but they didnt and I still had the most enjoyment ive had watching them in years.

People are forgetting the Sioux of the mid 90s. That was hard to watch and there wasnt many high points during them years. I know people will say with the arena and money they have now that cant happen or shouldnt happen but as a reminder just look 300 miles to the south and see what theyve done the last 3 years with two 7th place finishes and no NCAA apperance the last 2 years when they hosted regions.

I guess I went off to much but my point is enjoy the run the Sioux have had, the league championships, the playoff championships, the regional championship and all the star players theyve had because it probably wont last forever. Who ever thought the Yankees would go 9 years without a World Series title?

Sports are for entertainment and sometimes fans take it to personal and to far. Its great to have passionate fans and I was and still am pissed about the last game but I am more excited for next season especilly with it being in St. Paul. If the Sioux get there it will be a home ice advantage and they will have a GREAT chance for number 8!

and by the way one of my all time favorites is Greg Johnson. He didnt win any type of title at UND but he was everything you would ever think of when thinking of a Sioux player!

Jason Blake. Kevin Hoogsteen, David Hoogsteen, Ian Kallay, Matt Henderson, Adam Calder,

Curtis Murphy, Brad Williamson, Mitch Vig, Mark Pivetz, Dane Limke, Jason Ulmer,

Jeff Ulmer, Jay Panzer, Brad DuFuaw, Peter Armbrust, Aaron Schweitzer, this 1997 Championship team

will always be special to my family as my children were young and we followed this team everywhere

during that great season, staying in the same motels, eating in the same restaurants. Great fun...

I hate how todays fans are so caught up in winning National Championships, Super Bowls, World Series & Stanley Cups. It seems like todays fans consider the whole seasom a failure if there favorite team doesnt win the big one. Why cant people just be happy when there team has an exciting season? The Sioux havent won the NCAA title since 2000 but since then they have won everything else multiple times. How many schools can say that? They have had some of there best players in Sioux history and guys that are Stars in the NHL. I hate to say it but a Parise and Toews doesnt come along very often and we may not see players like them for a very long time, if ever in our life times. I mean guys who are top NHL players, captains of their teams and 2 of the best players for there country during the olympics.

Last year the last 2 months of the Twins season was about as exciting as I can ever remember. I knew they had no chance to win the World Series but I still enjoyed every minute of it. Last year the Vikes had there best season since 1998. I had hoped they could get to the Super Bowl and win it, but they didnt and I still had the most enjoyment ive had watching them in years.

People are forgetting the Sioux of the mid 90s. That was hard to watch and there wasnt many high points during them years. I know people will say with the arena and money they have now that cant happen or shouldnt happen but as a reminder just look 300 miles to the south and see what theyve done the last 3 years with two 7th place finishes and no NCAA apperance the last 2 years when they hosted regions.

I guess I went off to much but my point is enjoy the run the Sioux have had, the league championships, the playoff championships, the regional championship and all the star players theyve had because it probably wont last forever. Who ever thought the Yankees would go 9 years without a World Series title?

Sports are for entertainment and sometimes fans take it to personal and to far. Its great to have passionate fans and I was and still am pissed about the last game but I am more excited for next season especilly with it being in St. Paul. If the Sioux get there it will be a home ice advantage and they will have a GREAT chance for number 8!

and by the way one of my all time favorites is Greg Johnson. He didnt win any type of title at UND but he was everything you would ever think of when thinking of a Sioux player!

This thread has been about "legacy" as a Sioux. It is a worthy topic and in no way suggest we are at all what you mentioned above. It is a fair discussion to consider players "legacy" impact on a team.

To correct you as well, in my above thread I asked about what players had the greatest legacy and I qualified that as being measured by several things including high end numbers as an expample, so it was never intended to just be about championships. Although, I will argue that winning titles goes along way in creating "legacy".

Do you think Eruzione would be a US olympic legacy if the US would have not won the gold. How bout Bird or JOhnson in the NBA?

Consider this, I strongly feel that Cris Carter was the best receiver of all time in the NFL. I think he was in a league of his own when it came to the ability to make an incredible catch or get to the first down marker. How many people would say he was a greater receiver than, say, Jerry Rice? Not many, but I watched them both and I say Cris Carter made 10 catches every year that were as incredible as Rice's 10 best for his whole career. BUT Carter did not win championships? Nope! So there you go.

Now, following what my previous post was about, Sioux legacy, you and I share the same favorite Sioux player. I have never seen a Sioux player that matches Greg Johnson's talents and level of play.

In my opinion he is a top 5 UND legacy. I base this on his numbers. 4 years with 50pts! (55,79,74,54). When was the last player who got 50pts for the Sioux in any year? He holds the record for career assists.

That is a quite a legacy I think..

This thread has been about "legacy" as a Sioux. It is a worthy topic and in no way suggest we are at all what you mentioned above. It is a fair discussion to consider players "legacy" impact on a team.

To correct you as well, in my above thread I asked about what players had the greatest legacy and I qualified that as being measured by several things including high end numbers as an expample, so it was never intended to just be about championships. Although, I will argue that winning titles goes along way in creating "legacy".

Do you think Eruzione would be a US olympic legacy if the US would have not won the gold. How bout Bird or JOhnson in the NBA?

Consider this, I strongly feel that Cris Carter was the best receiver of all time in the NFL. I think he was in a league of his own when it came to the ability to make an incredible catch or get to the first down marker. How many people would say he was a greater receiver than, say, Jerry Rice? Not many, but I watched them both and I say Cris Carter made 10 catches every year that were as incredible as Rice's 10 best for his whole career. BUT Carter did not win championships? Nope! So there you go.

Now, following what my previous post was about, Sioux legacy, you and I share the same favorite Sioux player. I have never seen a Sioux player that matches Greg Johnson's talents and level of play.

In my opinion he is a top 5 UND legacy. I base this on his numbers. 4 years with 50pts! (55,79,74,54). When was the last player who got 50pts for the Sioux in any year? He holds the record for career assists.

That is a quite a legacy I think..

Ummm. 2007 Duncan and Oshie both were over 50. Dunc-57, Osh-52...

Ummm. 2007 Duncan and Oshie both were over 50. Dunc-57, Osh-52...

Exactly, Duncs best year, a Hobey year, was basically equivolent to Johnsons two lowest years.

Johnson was a special player, had he not followed Hrkac by only a couple years he would have been much more singled out in Sioux lore.

As it stands he got very unlucky his senior year as he was the odds on shoe-in for the Hobey until Paul Koryia had that Hrkac year in Maine! :lol:

In the modern era this conversation begins and ends with Hrkac. It was a different game in 1987, but the way he dominated the college game was crazy. Toews, Parise... will have much better pro careers, and Patrick/Christian... had better pro careers, but Hrkac is my pick in a blowout.

I was a huge fan of Casey and Eddie the Eagle, but I think that a forward would be the most memorable.

Exactly, Duncs best year, a Hobey year, was basically equivolent to Johnsons two lowest years.

Johnson was a special player, had he not followed Hrkac by only a couple years he would have been much more singled out in Sioux lore.

As it stands he got very unlucky his senior year as he was the odds on shoe-in for the Hobey until Paul Koryia had that Hrkac year in Maine! :lol:

You can't compare scoring between eras. Scoring as a whole has gone down significantly over the past 20 years. Therefore you can't compare scoring totals by Duncan and Oshie with scoring by Johnson and Hrkac.

That being said, Johnson was one of the better players in Fighting Sioux history.

You can't compare scoring between eras. Scoring as a whole has gone down significantly over the past 20 years. Therefore you can't compare scoring totals by Duncan and Oshie with scoring by Johnson and Hrkac.

That being said, Johnson was one of the better players in Fighting Sioux history.

I've been watching Sioux hockey for 30 plus years and Hrkac is the best I've seen play for UND.

I've been watching Sioux hockey for 30 plus years and Hrkac is the best I've seen play for UND.

I've been watching for well over 30 also and Hrkac in 1986-87 was the best I've ever seen at UND. In 1984-85 he was good. But 87 was one of those years where everything just went right, and Hrkac could do no wrong.

So we should adjust his numbers for deflation.

What was the league scoring average in, say, 1989-1991 seasons divided into, say, 2008-2010 seasons.

Find out that ratio and multiply it by Johnson's numbers and see what you have?

...I missed Hrkac by two seasons so I didn't get to see that show.

So we should adjust his numbers for deflation.

What was the league scoring average in, say, 1989-1991 seasons divided into, say, 2008-2010 seasons.

Find out that ratio and multiply it by Johnson's numbers and see what you have?

...I missed Hrkac by two seasons so I didn't get to see that show.

That would give you a better comparison. I don't have time to go find that information, but would be interested in seeing the results. The last time I looked into scoring deflation it seems to me that scoring was down between 1 and 2 goals per team per game.