Fighting Sioux Hockey 2010-2011

brianvf

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, and again ...

This isn't a Finehage +/- discussion.

They will have too many D on scholarship next year - if Finehage leaves, it make's it easier on the coaching staff.

The point is that no one should have to/be forced to leave.

too many dmen on scholly... yes. why? we may not know but the coaching staff may. and fienhage isn't being forced to leave. i have no doubt that they will/would honor his scholorship if he stays and he feels he is good enough to crack the lineup with the logjam at d. and another note, if he does stay, mattson and/or simpson may have to delay, which i am ok with, but it may not result in fienhage getting anymore icetime barring injuries because i think he would still be the odd man out. that's my two cents on it.

It was made very public on BMT season 2 that gleason was out of shape and took some catching up so I bet he was one of them.

Did you seriously just bring BMT in to provide evidence here?

Do we really take BMT that seriously?

Half the stuff on there is just teammate ribbing.

Scholarships aren't lolipops at the bank.

It is the job of the coaching staff to build the best product for the ice while adhering to the ideals and traditions of the program including developing college hockey players for the next level and developing young men of character.

Fienhage was given an opportunity, and he did not make the most of it.

I think talent and ability reflects a lot on the logjam. If there is a log jam, and you are good enough to play, you will.

It is my personal opinion that Lapoint is the next odd man out. For some reason Hak loves him. I do not. I prefer Gleason.

Again, sorry that I invited you to the dance, it turns out that there is someone better out there, and I am going home with them.

I tend to agree with you. In my opinion, Lapoint is a solid, but unspectucular player. What you see is what you are gonna get, not much more upside. I think if given the same amount of playing time, Finehage can perform just as good and has a higher upside due to his ability to play physical.

A general point in expectation management:

Derek Forbert and Simpson are pegged as a big time prospect in the NHL. That means there is upside. It in no way means that they are immediately ready to make an impact at the WCHA level. Cases in point: Lee and Finley were first round draft picks who weren't exactly fan favorites. Dmen tend to be bigger projects than forwards, and have steeper learning curves.

Let's all remember that.

I think my friend here ^ wins today's Understatement of the Day" award.

:lol:

I wonder why.

Finley was always a project, as should be expected anytime you have a 6'7" guy playing hockey. Lee was solid but never lived up to the hype while here. I would take Macwilliam, Blood, Marto, Gleason, and Finehage right now, over either of those two guys at any point in their career.

A general point in expectation management:

Derek Forbert and Simpson are pegged as a big time prospect in the NHL. That means there is upside. It in no way means that they are immediately ready to make an impact at the WCHA level. Cases in point: Lee and Finley were first round draft picks who weren't exactly fan favorites. Dmen tend to be bigger projects than forwards, and have steeper learning curves.

Let's all remember that.

Let me simplify all that:

There's a big difference between "on paper" and "on ice". :lol:

I wonder why.

Finley was always a project, as should be expected anytime you have a 6'7" guy playing hockey. Lee was solid but never lived up to the hype while here. I would take Macwilliam, Blood, Marto, Gleason, and Finehage right now, over either of those two guys at any point in their career.

I would too, because while Finley was fun to watch play for the Sioux he got walked a lot and had slow feet. I think both Mac and Blood have better foot speed than Finley. Also, I don't think Brian Lee will ever live up to the hype as a first round draft choice/defenseman, he is having trouble staying up with the Senators and looks like a career AHL guy at least with the Senators he does. I think Lee could have also used another year in college hockey...

I think another issue is that we did have some first rounders around that time who not only lived up to, but exceeded the hype at UND:

Parise, Toews, Oshie, Zajac, Stafford

All #1s that made it happen at UND.

It is important to note that wile good as a freshman, it took Stafford three years to play like a first rounder...the others I mention made big time impacts as rookies.

I get where he was going - he is wrong.

It's an interesting consideration, if you were to list all past Sioux players ranking them in order of the "legacy Impact" on the Sioux program while they were here (not NHL success), where would those players rank?

Who would be #1?

Who would be the top 20?

Remember, impact or legacy of things done while wearing the uniform, ie, no world Juniors, or NHL or Olympic accomplishments.

I understand that success other places does represent the Sioux well but let's just consider Sioux legacy playing the game with the Sioux.

ie, Hobey Bakers, NCAA champs, conference champs, record holders, Good Fighters :lol: etc..

From the Associated Press

University of North Dakota men's hockey coach Dave Hakstol says the team is giving captain Chay Genoway all the time he needs to make a decision on what he's going to do next season.

Genoway, an all-American defenseman, is deciding whether to pursue a medical redshirt and return to UND for one more season or sign an NHL contract.

Hakstol says he doesn't expect a decision for several weeks, and there are no hard and fast deadlines.

Genoway suffered a concussion in mid-November and did not return the rest of the season.

Clearly my statements were about individual performance, however it would be hard to believe those individuals' team successes weren't at least partially attributable to their personal success...they all won something while here...MacNaughton or Broadmoor...I realize all we care about are NCAA banners, but hey, we're the Sioux.

Impact players based on legacy?

Let's talk about that. Who is still revered in Sioux lore?

Hrkac

Then the circus: Joyce and Johnson (even though he only skated hrkac's wing part of the season)

Belfour

Blake, Panzer, Hoogsteen, Roche, Commodore, Goren, Murphy

Archie!!!!

Sykes, Patrick, Murray, Casey,there's another guy from my childhood...forward who played with Sykes...big time scorer

Parise

Oshie, Toews and Duncan

Clearly my statements were about individual performance, however it would be hard to believe those individuals' team successes weren't at least partially attributable to their personal success...they all won something while here...MacNaughton or Broadmoor...I realize all we care about are NCAA banners, but hey, we're the Sioux.

Impact players based on legacy?

Let's talk about that. Who is still revered in Sioux lore?

Hrkac

Then the circus: Joyce and Johnson (even though he only skated hrkac's wing part of the season)

Belfour

Blake, Panzer, Hoogsteen, Roche, Commodore, Goren, Murphy

Archie!!!!

Sykes, Patrick, Murray, Casey,there's another guy from my childhood...forward who played with Sykes...big time scorer

Parise

Oshie, Toews and Duncan

How about Craig Ludwig, Mark Taylor, Doug Smail, Marc Chorney...just to name a few.... This could go on for a while, and probably off the intended topic, but interesting nonethesless.