Dell, So

Eidsness, Jr

Maris, So

Potential incoming recruits:

Danny Mattson, F

Derek Rodwell, F

Nick Mattson, D

Derek Forbort, D

There is also a chance that Dillon Simpson (D) and/or Brock Nelson (F) might come in this fall as well.

Potential early departures (for different reasons):

Blood, Fienhage, Genoway, and Gregoire

Thoughts?

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2010-2011 Fighting Sioux Roster

Defense

Blood, Jr

Davidson, Sr

Fienhage, Jr

Genoway, Sr

Gleason, So

Hill, So

LaPoint, Sr

MacWilliam, So

Marto, Sr

Forward

Bruneteau, So

Cichy, So

Frattin, Sr

Gregoire, Jr

Hextall, Jr

Knight, So

Kristo, So

Lamoureux, Jr

Malone, Sr

Rowney, So

Toews, Jr

Trupp, Sr

Goalie

Dell, So

Eidsness, Jr

Maris, So

Potential incoming recruits:

Danny Mattson, F

Derek Rodwell, F

Nick Mattson, D

Derek Forbort, D

There is also a chance that Dillon Simpson (D) and/or Brock Nelson (F) might come in this fall as well.

Potential early departures (for different reasons):

Blood, Fienhage, Genoway, and Gregoire

Thoughts?

I don't see blood or gregoire going anywhere this offseason-probably one or both next year though. biggest thing next year is to finish in the top two of the wcha to avoid the three games in three days as we see what effect that had. I do see us as being preseason wcha favorites as denver and wisc will lose alot through graduation and early departures.

Simpson will be here in the fall. Davidson will be back at forward/out of the lineup. Hill will most likely be gone.

I would guess that both Davidson and Hill will just be practice players like Maris if they stay.

Davidson impressed me with his defensive play filling in for Gleason's injury, but next year we will be stacked at defense with or without Chay.

I do see us as being preseason wcha favorites as denver and wisc will lose alot through graduation and early departures.

Agreed and agreed.

UND should be able to finish in the top 2 or 3 in the WCHA next season.

UW and DU might fall with all of their graduation and early departure losses.

Hill won't probably be back.

Early departures...Fienhage if Genoway comes back.

After Gregiore's performance today :ohmy: , he won't want that to be his last game in a UND sweater and I don't think he's ready to move on.

Props to Davidson for his end of year play.

Cichy was less than advertised...he better get to work.

As far as early departures, I'd be surprised if Blood, Gregoire, or Fienhage left, I think they all need more time here, especially Blood after watching him give away pucks in front of the goal again like he was doing early in the year. Chay...who knows. I wouldn't blame him if someone wants to pay him, but he might be viewed as damaged goods and need to play to redeem his value, in which case we would very gladly give him his C back.

Hill might take a hike if Mattson and Forbert come.

There has to be a shakeup.

Only guys with guaranteed spots on forward are:

Malone, Trupp, Frattin, Kristo, Knight, Lammy, Hexy and Gregoire

Toews, Cichy, Bruno, Nelson, D. Mattson, St. Clair, Rodwell, Rowney, and Davidson will all be fighting for ice.

On D it is chaos...

There has to be a shakeup.

Only guys with guaranteed spots on forward are:

Malone, Trupp, Frattin, Kristo, Knight, Lammy, Hexy and Gregoire

Toews, Cichy, Bruno, Nelson, D. Mattson, St. Clair, Rodwell, Rowney, and Davidson will all be fighting for ice.

On D it is chaos...

Toews plays if he's consistant...when he's good, he's good.

Bruno is a grinder.

Cichy??? Don't know what to make of him.

Rowney is solid. He'll play next year.

Feel bad for Davidson. He is probably going to get jammed up next year.

Just a thought, but did Marto ever play forward in his younger days? With the way he moves the puck up the ice, I'm just wondering if that would be a possibility to move him up due to the logjam at D next season.

He did play forward a little bit at Central, but I doubt he would be as effective as a dman. It's the same situation as Genoway.

Marto was one of our most effective dmen all season...strong defensive play and such a smooth, fast skater.

I trust Hakstol to figure out the defense logjam before next season begins. :ohmy:

My opinion take it for what's its worth, we will only lose key players that are seniors, Chay will most likely stay because he was robbed, of his senior year and is Hungary for that national championship plus he lost a lot of time where he was unable to even work out so he might be a little out of shape "like I have room to talk" there will be no other key players that leave UND to go pro. The only people that not seniors that have a chance, would not go straight to the pros so they will wait another year and try to get a championship as a college player.

He did play forward a little bit at Central, but I doubt he would be as effective as a dman. It's the same situation as Genoway.

Marto was one of our most effective dmen all season...strong defensive play and such a smooth, fast skater.

I trust Hakstol to figure out the defense logjam before next season begins. :ohmy:

I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night but I totally agree with you here. We need Marto right where he is. The guy I feel for is Davidson. I think the guy could play at D for the Sioux, and who knows how that will shake out next year.

Toews plays if he's consistant...when he's good, he's good.

Bruno is a grinder.

Cichy??? Don't know what to make of him.

Rowney is solid. He'll play next year.

Feel bad for Davidson. He is probably going to get jammed up next year.

None of the freshman forwards other than Kristo really did much of anything this year. Cichy was the biggest disappointment. After how well he did in the USHL last year I expected a much better showing from him. Bruno well he is a grinder and plays hard. Rowney not much skill shown either, pretty much a grinder as well. David Toews well he has to be bummed to not even make the line up for most of the second half of the year. He has digressed big time this year.

I thought Knight had a pretty decent freshman season. He didn't show up a whole lot on the goals/assists sheet, but he worked hard every shift and was probably one of our lowest penalized players all year. I think he'll get faster/stronger over the off-season and be a more dynamic and dominant player next year. I think there is more to the Toews story - when he played I generally liked what I saw...he won many races to the puck and had good hockey sense. It surprised me how little he played down the stretch. Cichy definitely didn't live up to the hype - should be interesting to see the progress he makes in the offseason as well.

Marto was stellar night in and night out...and MacWilliam adjusted to the college level of play faster than I anticipated. He really will be an "animal" on the blue line next season. LaPoint, while he was a decent player this year, seemed a half step slow most of the time and I'm not sure if that was his injury lingering from last year or if it was a mental thing but I think he needs to speed up his game a bit and he'll be even better. Gleason was pretty consistent and I think will have a solid roster spot next year even with the new guys coming in. Blood...well when he is conscious of how/where his body is and hits cleanly he is a force. He also has a very strong shot that can give goalies some fits. But he needs to learn how to control his shot better - he breaks lots of sticks at really inopportune times. And he always plays the body and not the puck...sometimes I wish he'd do the opposite when the situation calls for it. He often makes me nervous when he's trying to break out of our zone - skating right in front or through the crease. He needs to get quicker on his feet and learn how to hit without getting penalized.

All in all, the team that is coming back next year excites me. We return a lot of talent and a lot of character guys as well. A little healthy competition to earn a spot each night should only help the guys work harder and leave it all on the ice when given an opportunity. We could do some serious damage next year...

Oh, and I think we'll see Chay in the fall for the senior season he was robbed from having. October is too far away...

None of the freshman forwards other than Kristo really did much of anything this year. Cichy was the biggest disappointment. After how well he did in the USHL last year I expected a much better showing from him. Bruno well he is a grinder and plays hard. Rowney not much skill shown either, pretty much a grinder as well. David Toews well he has to be bummed to not even make the line up for most of the second half of the year. He has digressed big time this year.

I disagree as well. Knight definitely came on in the second half, playing on the top line or two, I would say he was doing well. Our team is so deep that its hard to give some of the fresh adequate opportunities, as we've seen with the limited time Cichy, Toews, Brun got. By the way, Toews is a soph, I dont think he digressed by any means, it just comes down to the depth that we have. Watch out for Cichy, it took him a year or so in the USHL to get use to the speed, but once he did he tore it up.

We all have reason to be upset this season, but next season we're really not losing that much (besides VV). We'll see the same team with more talent on the blueline and a year more experienced.

I don't know how Hak is going to figure this thing out.

This team is deep, but not in a great way. The skill-level isn't extremely deep beyond the handful of top players on the roster. Beyond those guys, the rest all kind of average out to be mediocre to slightly above-average in terms of skill level, which makes it hard to sit certain players a lot, but makes it hard to keep putting them in as well. The bottom guys are all much better than most D1 teams, but they still don't add up to be a whole lot in the end. I'm not sure if I explained that right. I think all the guys from top-to-bottom skate hard, and play well as a team, but I'd like to see some depth to our high-octane offense...part of which I think Hak limits with the guys.

We'll see how it pans out.

This team is deep, but not in a great way. The skill-level isn't extremely deep beyond the handful of top players on the roster. Beyond those guys, the rest all kind of average out to be mediocre to slightly above-average in terms of skill level, which makes it hard to sit certain players a lot, but makes it hard to keep putting them in as well. The bottom guys are all much better than most D1 teams, but they still don't add up to be a whole lot in the end. I'm not sure if I explained that right. I think all the guys from top-to-bottom skate hard, and play well as a team, but I'd like to see some depth to our high-octane offense...part of which I think Hak limits with the guys.

We will have a good d corps next year with or witout Genoway. At forward however there are no real dynamic players other than Kristo and Gregoire assuming he doesn't play like he did yesterday. Eidsness is a good goalie but he never seems to be able to steal a game. He was OK yesterday, nothing great.

Good point though, it makes sense. The majority are top tier players, but are they the type of national championship type players we need? I guess well see.

This team is deep, but not in a great way. The skill-level isn't extremely deep beyond the handful of top players on the roster. Beyond those guys, the rest all kind of average out to be mediocre to slightly above-average in terms of skill level, which makes it hard to sit certain players a lot, but makes it hard to keep putting them in as well.

I think the skill will be there next season.

On the forward side, I think that Frattin, Gregoire, Hextall, Kristo, Malone, and Trupp are all top tier skill level players. Defensively, Genoway (if he comes back), Blood, MacWilliam, and Marto are in there as well.

That's not counting Forbort, Mattson, and Simpson depending on who comes in.

I am thinking that next season for the Sioux will be similar to this season for DU or UW in terms of regular season success.

Hak knows what he is doing. He understands he needs speedy D next year if Sampson (sp) comes in early. Look at Marto yesterday, he was banged up and was the most efficient player on the ice and that goes for both teams. Why, because he one of the smartest players on the team, has great hands, vision and can fly. If Chay comes back, you would have him, Marto, Mac, Blood, Lapoint and Gleason -(as a person that can play, but may be sitting out at times, a great insurance D to have, or use come tournament time) Forbort and Mattson are playing every night, I can assure you that. So, as fans we need to see what happens with Chay. Fienhage may be gone and decides to transfer, or sign to develop elsewhere. Blood is not going anywhere yet.

Next year will be a team that on paper should be able to do some amazing and crazy things.

Let's be honest on the forward front here too.... - Hexy, Frats, Trupp, Greg, Kristo, Malone are locks to play. So what do you do, you tell every other player... you say it is open competition boys. Do you wait on bringing in Brock Nelson? Yes, probably so bring in Rodwell and Danny Mattson (tough year, but the kid has speed and hands!) Now remember fans just because Mario Lamoureux works his ass off and is the king of you get what you deserve with hard work, understand that if, and that is a big if... If the talent level on the depth and forward front should be what it is looking to be,......remember he came to UND being very fortunate. He has worked for all the ice team he has received and has EARNED IT. But.... Let's state the most important trait of Mr. Lamoureux, he is all about the team first. If he will be sitting out some games next year a little bit he understands that. He needs to be a leader on that front and get that team mentality across the rest of the troops, him and Davidson do it best and are awesome for that!!!. No... you question this and say why?... because Rowney also for what he is, may be in the similar position next year too. Yeah he played all year but, is he really that effective and efficient where he needs to be in the line up every game next year.... I would say no!

Come down the stretch of any given run though, you play the best players..... Yeah I know and I get it, so we shall see next year on the forward front with - Lam, Cichy, Bruno, Toews, Rowney, Knight, Rodewell - if comes in and Mattson - if comes in. As always, off season for the ones that struggled this year! Earn you spot!

And now the rhyme and reasoning behinds this to tell the players. As a coach what to you say and how do you handle this.... You say next year with what "we" have, would could accomplish greats things and win #8. This is our year, last year was a trial run and we could of won any given night and lose (come tourney time this year, yep it happened) as well and then had that feeling starting in October in the locker room and the whole coaching staff.. So for motivation you say, do you want to be part of a national title team to the players.... Then you say "sacrifice baby" !! Enough said!

Next year on personnel is going to be nuts!

Look at Marto yesterday, he was banged up and was the most efficient player on the ice and that goes for both teams. Why, because he one of the smartest players on the team, has great hands, vision and can fly

I wish Marto or Gleason could've been on the ice to prevent a couple of those goals against, yesterday. Marto gets noticed for his offensive upside, but he is so solid in the Defensive Zone, as well. Not unlike Chay Genoway.

Sigh....another season comes to an end..... :ohmy:

I'm anxious for next year already. We have an all conference goaltender coming back. We could have the best defensive core in the country, and we return all but two forwards. I don't see anybody leaving early, and next year could be fun!

Think of this D-core:

Blood-Genoway

LaPoint-Marto

McWilliam-Gleason

Simpson-Fienhage

Yeah, that makes me smile. :D