SiouxSports.com Forum

Dusting off an old thread: Fire Hakstol?

Goon

I am so upset with the performance or lack their of this weekend. We got swept in our own house. What the hel# is up with that. This team is going no where fast. I have to think coaching is a big reason we have no mental toughness this year. Our pp is totally pathetic and every week it seems like we haven't even tried to adjust. I think our young d core is starting to make some bad decisions. Our goaltending can be good and horrible at times. We currently have two goaltenders who are not playing very well and one just quite honestly looks like a deer in the headlights. (Dell)

I love the sioux with all my fiber but this has got to be one of the most frustrating seasons I can remember. I can't believe DU beat us 4 times this year. I hate to say it but with the sweep this weekend it is going to take an act of god for us to resurrect this season. My prediction. Put a fork in us we are done.

I know that I just can't stand Denver, they are even worse than Minny. I thought that the Sioux missed their chances to bury them in the 1st period, but they didn't. They still have a chance with their schedule, with no lapses allowed. It is extremelty up-hill from here. (Speeaking of John Hill, he still sxucks)

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's all you need to know about the Sioux season - how many times have we puked up a 2 goal lead? -

by my count this was the sixth this season.

second game in denver, second duluth game, miami,second wisc game, notre dame and tonight. the pattern with all of those was that they were the second game of each series/tournament.

by my count this was the sixth this season.

second game in denver, second duluth game, miami,second wisc game, notre dame and tonight. the pattern with all of those was that they were the second game of each series/tournament.

In my book that's unacceptable - I don't care who we're playing. who's hurt, or who's coaching - The Fighting Sioux don't play like that.

No way to spin this other than this is not a very good team right now.

The proof is in the record, 6 wins in the past 19 games (3-4-2 at home, 3-5-2 on the road, 6-9-4 overall).

To me that is the definition of mediocrity. Hopefully, they can still salvage something positive from the season.

No way to spin this other than this is not a very good team right now.

The proof is in the record, 6 wins in the past 19 games (3-4-2 at home, 3-5-2 on the road, 6-9-4 overall).

To me that is the definition of mediocrity. Hopefully, they can still salvage something positive from the season.

exactly.... it isnt a good team right now, just isnt. it can be and they still have time but they better figure it out fast! hope they can!

It's a race between the Gophers and Sioux to see who can get crappy the fastest, in order to get their current coach fired, and to pave the way to bring in Dean Blais, and eventually, a championship. I have full faith in our boys that they can get the job done before the Gophs.

But wait! Hakstol has so many frozen four appearances, and yet I can't find those banners anywhere??

So question...When well they come out and just say that number5 is done and not coming back? Tonight game was a total team failure and I think its too late to change the way a team plays. If they are not going to win now I do not think they will win a lot from this point forward. If we make the final five great, NCAA great but the chances are slim. I hope and pray and with alittle luck they can pull it out. Remember UMD last year?

not meaning this in a mean way or trying to start anything.....but how are you guys ranked so high??? i don't get it.

I agree 100 % how in the hell were the Sioux ranked #4 in the country coming into the weekend? Makes no sense.

After watching sports for many years I've come to realize that teams have streaks.

Where you are in the standings at any point in the middle of the year really doesn't make much of a difference.

Well, since you watch a lot of sports, I guess we'll all defer to you. :huh: Having watched this years's team have you noticed any trends or streaks? How about the total inabilty to protect a 2 goal lead and nail down a win...just to name one. Or the "useless" fact that we have scored 4 (+) goals in 1 game out of the last 14!

We have 4, count em, 4 weekends left...that's not the middle of the season/year. :sad:

Bring some more irrelelvent stats from years gone by, that always helps when discussing the team of the present.

Ummm...another 0-4 on the PP last night and 0-last 32...add that to your "useful facts". But just keep telling us we are now 6th in PP % in the WCHA and "we are due."

Ummm...just got swept at home. Below .500 in the league and luckily thanks to UM losing still just 6th in the WCHA...but I know those are "useless facts".

not meaning this in a mean way or trying to start anything.....but how are you guys ranked so high??? i don't get it.

the pairwise has them where they deserve to be and thats all that matters as the sioux have played themselves into a bubble team with 10 games or so left plus playoffs. i think the polls are all about who you play, how that team was when you played them ect...the sioux have played a good schedule and havent been swept much so splitting didnt kill them in polls. when you play miami,cornell and then when it seems every team in wcha is in top 5 then you dont lose much in regular polls especially when splitting. the sioux started out hot and has just gone the wrong way since genoway has been out. like it or not thats the reason and any team would struggle without a top 5 player in the nation but i thought the sioux were turning the corner but when you cant score you cant beat anyone. denver down to tech will beat you.... they arent a tourney team right now, cant they be one? of course but things need to change. lines arent working. go sioux

hopefully this is the low of lows for this team. swept at home by hated rival DU, cant score goals at all. 6 goals in last 5 games and 1 was a empty netter. thats a absolute joke if i have ever seen from a sioux hockey team. the onew area im worried and maybe its just me but is the forward spot. come on sioux! buckle down and get back in this thing! maybe hextall is the key right now getting back as he was on a nice roll before he got injured.

when you play miami,cornell and then when it seems every team in wcha is in top 5 then you dont lose much in regular polls especially when splitting. the sioux started out hot and has just gone the wrong way since genoway has been out. like it or not thats the reason and any team would struggle without a top 5 player in the nation but i thought the sioux were turning the corner but when you cant score you cant beat anyone.

Taking an All-American hockey player who is considered elite out of the line up will hurt. Chay was a calming influence on the team.

Well, since you watch a lot of sports, I guess we'll all defer to you. :huh: Having watched this years's team have you noticed any trends or streaks? How about the total inabilty to protect a 2 goal lead and nail down a win...just to name one. Or the "useless" fact that we have scored 4 (+) goals in 1 game out of the last 14!

We have 4, count em, 4 weekends left...that's not the middle of the season/year. :sad:

Bring some more irrelelvent stats from years gone by, that always helps when discussing the team of the present.

Ummm...another 0-4 on the PP last night and 0-last 32...add that to your "useful facts". But just keep telling us we are now 6th in PP % in the WCHA and "we are due."

Ummm...just got swept at home. Below .500 in the league and luckily thanks to UM losing still just 6th in the WCHA...but I know those are "useless facts".

For your pleasure I'm going to bring up some past history. talentwise the two teams aren't comparable but youthwise they are and I'm referring to the 05-06 team. the parallels are mind boggling. both were very young teams that struggled and have struggled to the end of january. the last weekend of january that year scsu swept us at home, after that series the sioux were sitting in sixth place as well about 4-6 points out of fifth, with a similar record and about 15-16th in the pairwise as well which is just where we are right now. after that series they headed onthe road to a place where there hasn't been a lot of sucess(CC) and we head on the road to scsu where we haven't had overwhelming success either. we got a split that weekend came home to face duluth like we do this season, then head on the road to face a colorado team and close out the season at home against tech like we did that year. I'm hoping history can repeat itself because in the last 4 weekends that year we went 6-2 and ended up finishing fourth. I don't think we'll finish fourth but we still have a small window of finishing fifth.

If they can somehow someway figure this thing out by the first round of the playoffs and be in position to where we can still make the tourney without possibly making the final five would be good. because if we have to go onthe road there is a pretty good chance we don't make it to st. paul. If I remeber correctly miami and vermont didn't play in their league tournaments either and made the frozen four and in 2004 DU was knocked out in the first round as well and won the whole thing. I guess I'm hoping history can repeat itself ona couple of levels.

The only poll that matters is the pairwise.How the hell the Sioux were ranked 4th in the uscho poll is beyond me.Right now they aren't worthy of a top 20 position.

Sioux Rube is right, it isn't the fans fault that the pundits have said that UND is ranked 4th, 5th or 6th in the country. I find it funny I see clowns posting on mesage boards and blogs and asking why UND is ranked so high in the meaningless weekly polls and power rankings? The fact remains that UND is sitting on the bubble of the PWR and the Gophers are not ranked so high.

Well, since you watch a lot of sports, I guess we'll all defer to you. :lol: Having watched this years's team have you noticed any trends or streaks? How about the total inabilty to protect a 2 goal lead and nail down a win...just to name one. Or the "useless" fact that we have scored 4 (+) goals in 1 game out of the last 14!

We have 4, count em, 4 weekends left...that's not the middle of the season/year. :D

You must have missed this post where I explained the streaks comment more fully and gave some examples. Of course you don't care about history except if it involves winning a national championship. But you can learn a lot from history.

How about an example of bad streaks. I will give you 3 Fighting Sioux teams from the past 10 years. One team had a 10 game streak with a record of 4-4-2. Another had a 10 game streak with a record of 3-6-1. A third had a 10 game streak of 2-7-1. Any idea of which teams are which? I'll give you a hint, none of them is 2001-2002 which had a worst 10 game streak of 2-7-1. The worst of the 3 example years was 2002-2003. You may have heard of the coach, a guy named Dean Blais. Top scorers for the year were Brandon Bochenski, Zach Parise and David Lundbohm. It started the end of January through early March. The team went to the NCAAs and lost to Ferris State the first round. The 3-6-1 streak was 2004-2005, Hak's first year. One of the games was a loss to the World Junior team. The streak ran through January and into February. The team ended up losing in the National Championship game to our "friends" from Denver. The 4-4-2 team? That is UND's record for the last 10 games. My point? Bad streaks happen, even to good teams. They don't predict the outcome of the season.

Even after the loss on Saturday the record over the last 10 games is 4-4-2. Isn't that what you think really matters? Wins and losses? Number of goals doesn't matter. If you lose does it matter if you get shut out? It's a loss whether you score 10 or 0. None of the other useless stats matter, right? The only thing that matters is whether you have more goals at the end of the game than the other team. As my post points out, a bad streak can happen in a bad season, a decent season or a really good season. The streak doesn't predict the final outcome of the season. This team is in a bad streak. It may pull out of it or it may not. You have to wait until the end of the season to find out how things end. That's why they play the games.

Another piece of useless information for you. Cornell had a streak of 0 for 30 something going on the power play that they broke up on Saturday. I guess it happens to other teams too.