SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs MANITOBA

AZSIOUX

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't help but continue to be concerned about fienhage's puckhandling. It seems he gets really nervous hands when he has the puck deep in the zone. I hate to say it but if he doesn't show more confidence with the puck he could be the odd man out. In my opinion the coaches were really interested in watching Gleason on the power play, and watching him rush the puck up the ice. I thought he showed pretty good poise with the puck as well. I just really think the battle for the 6th spot will be between those two guys because it certainly looks like that MacWilliam is lock to dress every night. But good competition is always healthy I guess.

I can't help but continue to be concerned about fienhage's puckhandling. It seems he gets really nervous hands when he has the puck deep in the zone. I hate to say it but if he doesn't show more confidence with the puck he could be the odd man out. In my opinion the coaches were really interested in watching Gleason on the power play, and watching him rush the puck up the ice. I thought he should pretty good poise with the puck as well. I just really think the battle for the 6th spot will be between those two guys because it certainly looks like that MacWilliam is lock to dress every night. But good competition is always healthy I guess.

Nervous is how I would describe fienhage but for a first game I thought the whole team played fairly well. PK looked good and man can Kristo fly he's a really good looking player on that first line. Gleason played well tonight he's like another Genoway out there and showed a lot of confidence with the puck. All the freshman looked pretty well and I'm excited to watch this team try to bring #8 home from Detroit.

Fienhage is going to be a giveaway machine for a while, but the only solution to that is playing time. He has the tools, but everyone will need patience because it might not be pretty at first. I expect he'll come along as most of the other big Sioux D have. He is a nice skater for his size, so he'll win some races (might help cover some giveaways) and he'll definitely win some wrestling matches along the boards. Word around the league the last few years was the Sioux were soft on the blueline, but that won't be the case anymore as Blood, MacWilliam and Fienhage all know how to use their size.

I think most of the team played nervous the entire first period until the first goal was scored.

They finally relaxed in the 3rd and started scoring.

However, there were a few goals that were simply bad goaltending.... like Marto's goal. Christie should have had that one for sure. I'm almost sure Christie could have prevented the Lamoreaux goal as well.

I don't know who is going to be the odd man out, but tonight's game isn't going to be the determinating factor.

Remember, up until Genoway scored, the biggest impact Genoway had on the game was pretty much the fact that he went to the penalty box one more time than any other Sioux defenseman.

However, whoever IS the odd man out, I'm happy to say, it won't be because he sucks. It will be because he was just beat out in practice or the matchup serves the chosen 6 better.

The only thing I don't like on the jerseys are the horizontal lines. Way to damn many and it just looks weird(of course that can be attributed to being so use to the diagonal). Just doesn't look good overall on the uni's though IMO. Other than that there okay. The away greens are more acceptable though.

I agree with all the Kristo talk, but the person who absolutely shined tonight was Gleason. I sit right on the ice, and that kid moves great. He always knew what to do with the puck which is (quite frankly) something I haven't seen a lot of from Freshmen Sioux defensemen in the past. The future is very bright for this kid.

Also, a comment about Dell, the new Goalie. Did anyone else notice his side-to-side speed? Again, I sit right down by the goalie, and that guy moves quicker than most goalies I have seen over the years. He is also very quick at getting back to his feet after the whole partial-butterfly thing. I'm not saying he is the next great goalie yet, but again, I was really impressed with his movement.

I agree with all the Kristo talk, but the person who absolutely shined tonight was Gleason. I sit right on the ice, and that kid moves great. He always knew what to do with the puck which is (quite frankly) something I haven't seen a lot of from Freshmen Sioux defensemen in the past. The future is very bright for this kid.

Also, a comment about Dell, the new Goalie. Did anyone else notice his side-to-side speed? Again, I sit right down by the goalie, and that guy moves quicker than most goalies I have seen over the years. He is also very quick at getting back to his feet after the whole partial-butterfly thing. I'm not saying he is the next great goalie yet, but again, I was really impressed with his movement.

Kristo is the real deal. Gleason was better than advertised as well. The one guy I was watching closely after the way he finished last year was Malone. He skated, played and hit with that "gets it" quality. I think he is going to be a complete beast this year!!

7-1 Sioux!!

Hextall! Rang it off the post

This is pretty after the fact, but there was a giant pick set by #15 (Brunteau?) on Hextall's goal. Very blatant from the replay, and I'm surprised it wasn't called...probably would be in a "real" game.

The guys looked pretty sloppy for most of the game, and Manitoba ran out of gas big time in the 3rd. But as was said by others, a lot of guys looked a step better than last year, so that's encouraging.

i liked how the forwards played last night. very solid overall. trupp had many chances, just couldnt finish. toews was skating hard and drew a couple hooking penalties. gona be tough for hak and company to choose who are the 2 that sit friday to start off. that first line has the potential to be dangerous. 3 very skilled players together

My impression:

VV/Gregoire/Kristo line. Kristo has the speed, VV is big and strong and is a beast to knock off the puck, Gregoire never seems out of position and plays both ways very well. Very nice line

Malone/Trupp/Hextall line: Played well but Malone needs to play a little more like VV. Trupp had a lot of moves but nothing to show for it and Hextall played fairly well too.

Lamoureux/Cichy/Toews line: I actually liked this line and thought Toews made a lot of things happen. I was a little surprised to see Toews on wing rather than center but this line is agressive and could be a force

Zajac/Rowney/Davidson: My first thought was "What does Zajac have to do to get on a top three line? He's out there with the physical players again." I didn't see much happen with this line. No real scoring chances and not a big shut down line.

Knight/Bruneteau: These players wre thrown in on various lines. I actually liked both of their play and was more impressed with Bruneteau than I thought I would be.

LaPoint/Marto: Same pairing and played pretty consistent/

Blood/Genoway: I like these two together. Blood looks like a different player who will now carry the puck when needed rather than get flustered and try to pass it to his partner as soon as he gets pressured.

MacWilliam/Fienhage: Both looked out of synch at first but MacWilliam came around. Fienhage looked shaky at best with the puck. It will be an adventure for him until he gets comfortable.

Gleason looked a little like Genoway. Smart with the puck and a good skater. Don't be surprised if they pair him with MacWilliam if Fienhage doesn't progress.

Eidesness looked good. Tough to tell with Dell since he only faced 4 shots.

Overall the team looked out of synch for the first half of the game but came around as the game went along.

We will tell more this weekend once we see who dresses

Questions to be answered:

1. Will Fienhage become a top 6 d man or will Gleason take that spot?

2. Who will earn their way to play on the line with Zajac? Davidson? Rowney? Bruneteau? Knight?

3. Will Eidesness and Dell split the duties this first series?

4. Is Kristo as fast as Doug Smail? :(