SiouxSports.com Forum

General Feeling From Sioux Fans

JESUS,family,rutgers

Do you guys (and YaneA!) think this is the year for the 8th championship. What is the general feeling among Fighting Sioux fans about the next few weeks.

Definitely possible, but not too likely. That said, this is my favorite team in several years, and seeing them win the 8th would be special, given the makeup of the team and the fact that they are the "regulars" who stayed back after the superstars decided to take their shot a the big show. (not a criticism of Oshie, Toews, Chorney, et al). If these guys win # 8, it will because a lot of different people played big in their final four games--something that would add extra meaning to winning it all.

This time of year...playoff time...you need to be playing well on special teams. Right now our PP is so-so at best and our PK has been awful. IF we can get those 2 things ironed out, I like our chances against anyone in a one game situation. BE has been great, our defense is steady for the most part and offensively we have 4 very solid lines. Nobody can predict a bounce or two, but if you can kill penalties and score on the PP, your chance of winning go way up.

This time of year...playoff time...you need to be playing well on special teams. Right now our PP is so-so at best and our PK has been awful. IF we can get those 2 things ironed out, I like our chances against anyone in a one game situation. BE has been great, our defense is steady for the most part and offensively we have 4 very solid lines. Nobody can predict a bounce or two, but if you can kill penalties and score on the PP, your chance of winning go way up.

Well said. I hope we see improvement in our PP and PK this week-end.

Well said. I hope we see improvement in our PP and PK this week-end.

I agree we need to see some improvement in our PP and PK. Our PK has struggled without LaPoint, so they need to step it up in that area.

However, I feel pretty good about this team's chances in the national tournament, depending on regional matchups and such. I think we're one of the few teams in the country with the depth to take down BU and Notre Dame. That said, it's the playoffs and anything can happen... but I feel pretty good. But that's just me and I felt good about this team in the off season too. I'm excited to see what happens.

I am excited for this team, but I have my doubts. Simply because we are not playing good hockey right now. The PP is not crisp, too many soft passes. CC challenged our points and so did MTU on Friday night. That caused us problems. From here on out we are playing the higher caliber teams with greater speed, and right now we are just not clicking. We are also not taking care of the front of our own net. MTU got two goals Saturday night they should not have had if the D had done their job. The rest of the way no one can have an off night or not feel up to it.

So I am excited and looking forward to the playoffs, but I have realistic hopes. I've seen Michigan play and they can be great and not-so-great. But the rest of the higher ranked teams I don't have a feel for their capabilities. The Sioux have played some great hockey against UM and Denver, they just haven't really clicked lately. But they do find a way to win, and maybe that counts more than anything.

I didn't expect the team in '97 to win it. I had a little more confidence in the team in '00, but we had lost some talented players from '98 and '99, that I didn't know if we really had the depth, and still don't think we were that deep (thank you Lee Goren, Jason Ulmer, and Ryan Bayda). This team...I'm not really expecting them to make it to the FF, so maybe that's a good thing. I expected a national title from the '04 team...didn't happen. I expected a title from the '07 team...didn't happen. Bottom line, your team has to playing their best hockey during the next month. If our team can do that...we have a shot at getting back to the FF...maybe a shot at winning it. I'm keeping my expectations low. My hopes...well, that's the same as every year! :lol:

As long as this team doesn't have to play BC, yes, number 8 is definitely possible. However, my biggest concern is getting stuck in the MPLS regional with the Gophers. The Sioux have had a nice run against the Gophers in meaningful games. However, streaks don't last forever.

Dude, that is just sour grapes. I like UND's chances against BC, simply because they have beaten UND several times in a row. Match up two elite teams, and the tally should even out over time.

This year's team actually reminds me of the Sioux's last championship team at this point in the season. They have scoring that is spread over 4 solid lines, and they wear teams down over the course of a game. UND says they don't have any superstars, but I think that does a dis-service to Duncan. The guy is playing superb hockey lately - living up to his Senior mandate as a leader.

I'm not usually mr. optimistic in the playoffs, but I have to agree with Hak about one thing. I like this year's team. Something about them says "destiny".

Just remember, don't expect a win. I did that in 2004, I've never been more disappointed. I have high expectations, but not unrealistic. Go Sioux!!! There is definately some special about this group of guys. I said it after the goofer series.

As others have said, the '97 championship team came out of nowhere and surprised a lot of people. At the F4 in Milwaukee, we had the good fortune not to have to face the Michigan juggernaut in the title game because BU eliminated them. Accepting that year's Hobey, Brendan Morrison said, "sometimes the best team doesn't win." I always thought those were sour grapes. But maybe what he meant was that anything can happen in a one and done tournament, a stronger team can be knocked off by an underdog, superstars can stumble, puck luck can favor one team and frustrate another. In 1997, the Sioux were the last team standing and, in my opinion and Mr. Morrison notwithstanding, that fact alone qualified them as the "best" that season.

On the other hand, from the beginning of the '99-'00 season, I knew, just KNEW that the team was going to claim its 7th title. I don't know how I came to be so certain but the certainty was definitely there all season long. After we shutout Maine in the semifinal, a friend and I ran into Maine's coach, the late Shawn Walsh, on the off day at the fanfest in Providence. Seeing us in our Sioux jerseys, he came up to us and said, "Your team is going to win." And he was right. We came from behind to beat BC and left flabbergasted the ESPN sportscasters who had intoned during the second period intermission that the Eagles were 20 minutes away from the championship. No Hail Mary that time for BC Superfan Doug Flutie! The '00 Sioux, it seemed, was a team of destiny.

But, maybe our '09 team is something even better: a team of DETERMINATION. They've been brilliant, although not perfect, down the stretch, winning the MacNaughton Cup when, well into December, people were making book that they wouldn't even qualify for home ice.

So, I'm hopeful, very hopeful, and I'm definitely pulling for this band of brothers to go all the way.

To win #8 we need to step up our play in all areas.

Our PP has been poor lately and at times downright horrible. Same with the penalty kill. Our passing looks like we are playing on choppy ice, we need much sharper tape to tape passing. I knoiw we can do this because I have seen us do it this year.

Based on recent play you could make the argument that the team has already peaked. I hope not. In too many of the recent games the team has come out with "heavy legs" (even Hak has mentioned this a few times). Not sure why when every game we have played recently has had significant meaning. How many guys are playing with injuries that are affecting their play? IMO, Trupp and Gregoire have been off a bit and both have missed some games recently with injuries.

Last year we seemed to slip some after the Duluth series when we lost Trupp and Genoway to injuries. Although Genoway made it back for the playoffs he definitely wasn't the same, I believe he was playing with a cast on his hand. We won the regional in Madison but we really didn't play that well, and in hindsight it shouldn't have been a big surprise that we got beat handily in the FF.

I wonder if there is a mental/physical toll that happens to the players/coaches in the second half of the season when we have to battle so hard to make up for the slow starts? Sometimes when you have to battle back to make up a large deficit, the natural reaction once you "catch up" is to relax for a minute. Once you do that it is hard to recapture the momentum you had.

Having said all this, I am hopeful the team will pick up their play and we can get #8. A lot will depend on the tourny draw and how healthy we are. Also, a little good luck wouldn't hurt.

As others have said, the '97 championship team came out of nowhere and surprised a lot of people. At the F4 in Milwaukee, we had the good fortune not to have to face the Michigan juggernaut in the title game because BU eliminated them. Accepting that year's Hobey, Brendan Morrison said, "sometimes the best team doesn't win." I always thought those were sour grapes. But maybe what he meant was that anything can happen in a one and done tournament, a stronger team can be knocked off by an underdog, superstars can stumble, puck luck can favor one team and frustrate another. In 1997, the Sioux were the last team standing and, in my opinion and Mr. Morrison notwithstanding, that fact alone qualified them as the "best" that season.

On the other hand, from the beginning of the '99-'00 season, I knew, just KNEW that the team was going to claim its 7th title. I don't know how I came to be so certain but the certainty was definitely there all season long. After we shutout Maine in the semifinal, a friend and I ran into Maine's coach, the late Shawn Walsh, on the off day at the fanfest in Providence. Seeing us in our Sioux jerseys, he came up to us and said, "Your team is going to win." And he was right. We came from behind to beat BC and left flabbergasted the ESPN sportscasters who had intoned during the second period intermission that the Eagles were 20 minutes away from the championship. No Hail Mary that time for BC Superfan Doug Flutie! The '00 Sioux, it seemed, was a team of destiny.

But, maybe our '09 team is something even better: a team of DETERMINATION. They've been brilliant, although not perfect, down the stretch, winning the MacNaughton Cup when, well into December, people were making book that they wouldn't even qualify for home ice.

So, I'm hopeful, very hopeful, and I'm definitely pulling for this band of brothers to go all the way.

Morrison was all about sour grapes that year...people streamed out of the presentation after that stupid comment...the 1997 team did come out of nowhere but the 98 and 99 squads were heavy favorites to do some major damage in the NCAAs and both fizzled...I think our special teams lately has been so-so; the boys better step it up for the playoffs...Go Sioux!!!!!!!!

In my opinion BU and Notre Dame have clearly put themselves above the rest of the nation or you could even say they are "Tier 1". With that analogy you can put the Sioux near the top of "Tier 2". With that said the best, or the worst depending on your view, part of college hockey is that anything can happen in the single elimanation format of the NCAA tournament. In my view the Sioux need to use the Final Five to recharge their batteries for the stretch run. They haven't been playing bad lately (obviously they've been winning) but consistency in special teams and skating have slipped a bit. With that said the elements are indeed in place for another deep run in the playoffs. My favorite part is watching Brad Eidsness week to week. This kid is clearly an intense competitor and he seems to always, and somehow quietly, come up with big saves each week. If the blueliners do their job it will be very tough to score on Brad the next few weeks. Thinking of his future is indeed a pleasant thought. Maybe the best part of this team is that I can't really tell how far than can go, but I know they can match up with anyone. However, the last time I really thought I knew a Sioux team is when this team entered the playoffs: http://www.fightingsioux.com/fls/13500/sta...DB_OEM_ID=13500 Not only did I think they would win the title but I thought the playoffs were just a formality. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that you never can tell who will rise to the top (see also Michigan State 2007) but it is a always an interesting and nerveracking ride.

In my opinion BU and Notre Dame have clearly put themselves above the rest of the nation or you could even say they are "Tier 1".

I would agree on BU. Not sold on Notre Dame, their schedule was pretty weak.

Notre Dame is 29-5-3, an excellent record. A more detailed look shows some weakness. They did win the games they should win, going 19-0-3 against teams that were not TUCs. Can't do much better than that and there certainly is something to be said for winning games you should win. Their record against TUCs was 10-5, still sounds pretty good except that 6 of these wins are against teams #23 and #24. Their record against the top 16 in the pairwise is only 3-5. Most, if not all of their games in the NCAA tourny will be against these types of teams.

I think Notre Dame is a pretty good team, just not sold that they should be given any more consideration than UND, DU, or Mich.

Here is the breakdown of their record (pairwise ranking given when appropriate):

UMich 1-1-0 #3

Denver 0-1-0 #4

UMD 1-0-0 #13

Miami 0-2-0 #14

OSU 1-1-0 #16

BC 1-0-0 #17

NMU 4-0-0 #23

UA 2-0-0 #24

Sacred Heart 2-0-0

Prov 1-0-0

LSSU 2-0-2

BGU 4-0-0

WMU 1-0-1

FSU 2-0-0

Union 1-0-0

UNO 4-0-0

MSU 2-0-0

Hak's tenure

WCHA finish:

04-05: 5th

05-06: 4th

06-07: 3rd

07-08: 2nd

08-09: 1st

NCAA finish:

04-05: Title game

05-06: FF Semi-final loss by 1

06-07: FF Semi-final loss by 2

07-08: FF Semi-final loss by 5

08-09: ?

So, each year we did slightly better in WCHA play, but each FF appearance we seem to have done slightly worse each year. Granted, the FF appearances are all pretty similar, especially the 05-06 season and the 06-07 season where we actually played better most of the game in the 06-07 game, but still. 5 straight Frozen Fours is unheard of, and I think it's time the team lets us down.

anything can happen as we all know. i have this gut feeling we pick up the final 5 title this weekend holding off a desperate UW team playing for that autobid. maybe another OT winner from kozek to end UW's season

beyond that, who knows....cant wait til sunday for the selection process

SKATE FOR 8

Hak's tenure

WCHA finish:

04-05: 5th

05-06: 4th

06-07: 3rd

07-08: 2nd

08-09: 1st

NCAA finish:

04-05: Title game

05-06: FF Semi-final loss by 1

06-07: FF Semi-final loss by 2

07-08: FF Semi-final loss by 5

08-09: ?

So, each year we did slightly better in WCHA play, but each FF appearance we seem to have done slightly worse each year. Granted, the FF appearances are all pretty similar, especially the 05-06 season and the 06-07 season where we actually played better most of the game in the 06-07 game, but still. 5 straight Frozen Fours is unheard of, and I think it's time the team lets us down.

Are you setting low expectations so as not to hurt too much if they lose? The past is not a predictor of the future with hockey. I do agree that on paper, this team does not have Parise or Toews or Oshie. The only first rounder is Big Joe, our second rounder skates on the fourth line. However, team trumps talent. At this time of year it is all about leaving it all on the ice every shift. I think the seniors who (if they make it) will have tasted the f4 4 consecutive years and have seen their predecessors sit in the locker room, fighting back tears, not wanting to take the jersey off for the last time...that sinks in. The boys might not win, it takes skill and luck and determination, but I'll never right off this team...they've come too far.

Just to piggyback off what i said about Notre Dame earlier. Only 9 of their 37 games have been played against current top 20 teams. They are 4-5 in those games. So only 4 of there 29 wins are against top 20 teams. A 29-5-3 record is pretty impressive but only if you play against decent teams. Notre dame should not even be a top 10 team let alone Number 1.

beyond that, who knows....cant wait til sunday for the selection process

SKATE FOR 8

Do you have any info on the Selection show, i know it is on ESPN 2 or ESPN U but what time is it on and is there a webcast available for it?? I would love to watch it if i can...

any info would be a great help... thanks

That was an awesome post. Seems this year is a lot simular to 1997, eventually you have to think UND is going to get number 8. I like what Hakstol is doing and it makes more sense this season than others. While the hockey pundits are drooling all over ND and BU, I think that UND has a good of chance as anyone else.

Do you have any info on the Selection show, i know it is on ESPN 2 or ESPN U but what time is it on and is there a webcast available for it?? I would love to watch it if i can...

any info would be a great help... thanks

This is what I found, correct me if I'm wrong.

Sunday, March 22, 2009

NCAA Selection Show: ESPN2 - 11:30 AM EST.