SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX/GOPHERS SATURDAY

gfhockey

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lou Nanne on KFAN talking Gopher puck.......

Obviously, he lied when he said he watched the games this weekend.

I'm guessing you didn't actually hear it. He mentioned that playing physical is a "talent" and the Gophers have been severely lacking in that department for quite a while.

Nanne was pretty much spot on in this interview specifically mentioning if you can't or won't respond to a physical challenge in the beginning of a weekend you are pretty much done for. He also corrected the KFAN guys on their assessment that the Gophers were talented but too young, stating that almost all the players go through juniors now. The host likes to make fun of people who makes excuses, but Nanne wouldn't give the Gophers any.

As for Nanne's Wild judgment, I'm with you.

I agree that Nanne didn't have the full facts when he talked about the Jones/Lucia situation. However, in fairness Sagard is right. When a Gopher fan called who "lived an hour away from GF and even lettered a couple of years for them" called and complained that the Sioux have 23 year old freshmen compared to MN's high schoolers, and that Stoa and Fairchild were tired from being off at the WJ tournament, Nanne wasn't buying any of it. First he poo-poo'ed the idea that the Sioux have older freshmen coming in than then Gophs, and he also said most of the Gopher freshmen are playing a year or two of juniors so that doesn't wash. He also corrected the guy that Stoa wasn't at the WJ tournament.

As Sagard said, he also took the Gophers to task for being unwilling to be physical, and that this has been a problem not just last weekend, but in the last couple of years as well. He bemoaned the fact the Gophers don't have much size on the forward lines and were being outphysicalled and out checked this past weekend. The only issue I have with that is I thought MN has a pretty fair amount of size on their forward lines this year.

I agree that Nanne didn't have the full facts when he talked about the Jones/Lucia situation. However, in fairness Sagard is right. When a Gopher fan called who "lived an hour away from GF and even lettered a couple of years for them" called and complained that the Sioux have 23 year old freshmen compared to MN's high schoolers, and that Stoa and Fairchild were tired from being off at the WJ tournament, Nanne wasn't buying any of it. First he poo-poo'ed the idea that the Sioux have older freshmen coming in than then Gophs, and he also said most of the Gopher freshmen are playing a year or two of juniors so that doesn't wash. He also corrected the guy that Stoa wasn't at the WJ tournament.

As Sagard said, he also took the Gophers to task for being unwilling to be physical, and that this has been a problem not just last weekend, but in the last couple of years as well. He bemoaned the fact the Gophers don't have much size on the forward lines and were being outphysicalled and out checked this past weekend. The only issue I have with that is I thought MN has a pretty fair amount of size on their forward lines this year.

they do but it takes a certain type a player to use it i guess

We do have two 23 year old Canadian Seniors in Martens and Duncs :lol:

Quiz time: Who's older - Jonathan Toews or Alex Kangas?

Answer below.

In the meantime, let's note that certain Gopher fans (not all) epitomize the old saw of "repeat a lie often enough and you'll start to believe it".

Answer: Kangas is older. Toews, another overage Canadian at UND, entered school, played two years, and started playing in the NHL before Kangas ever played in a game with the Gophers. Fact.

Toews: Born April 29, 1988

Kangas: Born May 28, 1987

Barrairo (sp?) earlier in the show was talking about the series too and how bad it was for the Gophers. His sidekick said it wasn't fair because the Sioux are full of 23 year old Canadians. :lol: Barrairo argued with all the Minnesota talent it should have equaled out. That was pretty funny. Not trying to start an argument here, just what I heard on the radio. I didn't even think Barrairo talked hockey most of the time!

I think Marriucci was the first to use that excuse when he coached,

I'm guessing you didn't actually hear it. He mentioned that playing physical is a "talent" and the Gophers have been severely lacking in that department for quite a while.

Nanne was pretty much spot on in this interview specifically mentioning if you can't or won't respond to a physical challenge in the beginning of a weekend you are pretty much done for. He also corrected the KFAN guys on their assessment that the Gophers were talented but too young, stating that almost all the players go through juniors now. The host likes to make fun of people who makes excuses, but Nanne wouldn't give the Gophers any.

As for Nanne's Wild judgment, I'm with you.

I did hear most of the interview (I was in and out of the car). I guess I was referring to his assessment of the Zach Jones/Tony Lucia situation, in which he left out the little fact that Evan Trupp got speared and that Jones was trying to stand up for his teammate. Someone with Nanne's experience and big-name recognition should not have glossed over that point. I probably should have been more specific in my original comment. My mistake.

Barrairo (sp?) earlier in the show was talking about the series too and how bad it was for the Gophers. His sidekick said it wasn't fair because the Sioux are full of 23 year old Canadians. :lol: Barrairo argued with all the Minnesota talent it should have equaled out. That was pretty funny. Not trying to start an argument here, just what I heard on the radio. I didn't even think Barrairo talked hockey most of the time!

Isn't UND one of the younger teams in the league?

Nanne was pretty much spot on in this interview specifically mentioning if you can't or won't respond to a physical challenge in the beginning of a weekend you are pretty much done for.

Brings back a couple events. In the Hrkac Circus year, MN visited GF in the second half of the year, and in the first shift of the first game, Steve Johnson (pretty much built like Chris Porter, rock of muscle on skates) plastered a Gopher defenseman against the glass. He ran him big-time, and got two minutes. The Sioux killed the penalty, scored shortly thereafter, and the sweep was on.

Also, at the start of the national title game, Porter did the same thing to a DU defenseman, dislocating his shoulder. The kid toughed it out and played the whole game, which probably meant a ton to his team. You're not going to run roughshod over a DU team, but Porter did try, and the Sioux did play a terrific game, but just missed the bounces that game.

Brings back a couple events. In the Hrkac Circus year, MN visited GF in the second half of the year, and in the first shift of the first game, Steve Johnson (pretty much built like Chris Porter, rock of muscle on skates) plastered a Gopher defenseman against the glass. He ran him big-time, and got two minutes. The Sioux killed the penalty, scored shortly thereafter, and the sweep was on.

Also, at the start of the national title game, Porter did the same thing to a DU defenseman, dislocating his shoulder. The kid toughed it out and played the whole game, which probably meant a ton to his team. You're not going to run roughshod over a DU team, but Porter did try, and the Sioux did play a terrific game, but just missed the bounces that game.

Agree entirely.

Another example: 2000 WCHA Final Five, title game. Bayda's hit on a Badger D 30 seconds into the game. Sets the tone for a big win.

After 5 minutes of Friday's game, I said "UND just dished out a weekend's worth of body checks in the first five minutes (exaggerating, but just a bit). I like our chances."

The best leading indicator of Sioux success is whether they're throwing body checks. (Second best is whether we're winning the battles along the boards.)

Agree entirely.

Another example: 2000 WCHA Final Five, title game. Bayda's hit on a Badger D 30 seconds into the game. Sets the tone for a big win.

After 5 minutes of Friday's game, I said "UND just dished out a weekend's worth of body checks in the first five minutes (exaggerating, but just a bit). I like our chances."

The best leading indicator of Sioux success is whether they're throwing body checks. (Second best is whether we're winning the battles along the boards.)

Now that was a check! They had to scrape that frickin' guys carcass off the ice before they could start up again. :lol:

Minnesota fans and media types have been babbling about 23 year old Canadians for years so they have repeated it so much they probably think it's true.

One thing that I know is true is that you would have to look through alot of rosters to find any players who played in the WCHA that were older than 2 former Gophers.

Dan Woog was 25 as a senior for the Gophers and Goalie Steve Debus was also 25 and had he come back for his 4th season would have been 26. Stu Bickel also happened to be a 21 year old freshman for the Golden Angels on Ice last season.

One thing I think Lou nanne did get right was his statement

"what alot of people tend to forget is physicality is also a talent and skill, but it's not a skill the gophers possess and UND excels at it."

Lou also used the words "silly" and "stupid" to describe what Zach Jones did.

I'd say freaking out and losing his composure was a bit silly and stupid, mainly because of how well the rest of the weekend went. Sticking up for teammates, challenging, taunting and intimidating are part of the game.

Now that was a check! They had to scrape that frickin' guys carcass off the ice before they could start up again. :lol:

Oh man, I still remember that check. What a plastering.

lou nanne wears the yellow and brown glasses like doug and the rug. What else did you expect hime to say? The goofers are cowards? Not likely...

Actually, he inferred as much. Maybe not so much cowards, but unwilling to play physical or respond to physical challenges (checking, etc)

Lou also used the words "silly" and "stupid" to describe what Zach Jones did. If you don't want to believe that his antics were silly and stupid because I say so (as I'm merely one fan with no more and no less credibility than any other one fan), believe it because Lou Nanne says so. He has credibility, something that none of message board posters us have. And I believe that is a very good note to bow of this argument on.

He takes a lot of his information from Glen Sonmor, possibly the least objective of any announcer I have ever heard. Glen Sonmor has no credibility whatsoever. When Nanne was talking about the shoving around the net as silly, he is implicating the gophers the most. I have never seen a team that shoves players from the other team as a way to prove they are tough. I rewatched Fridays game and that happened on many occasions. There were several times when the Sioux guy slowed up and skated away from a scrum, only to be pushed away anyway. Nanne's credibility is hurt because he is taking stuff Sonmor tells him as gospel.

The Gophers are not that big. They have 5 players 200 lbs or bigger (Stoa, Flynn, Schack, Fischer, and Scott). The Sioux have 10 players 200 lb. or bigger. Most of the Gopher team is in the 185-190 lb range. The Sioux also have more smaller players than the Gophers. When you look at their roster, it looks like the majority of the team is the same size.

I am proud that Jones stood up for Trupp. I am not happy about the manner in which he "lost it" though. To me that was over the edge. From the good perspective though, I hope every other team the Sioux play this year watched that video of Jones. It should certainly send a message and give them pause to think before they try a cheap shot. Tasmanian Devil might be a good nickname for Jones.

I am just hoping that this team remembers how they played against the Gophers and carry it forward. This was the team I saw against CC in the Friday night game in Colorado Springs, and then that team disappeared. Maybe Hakstol had them sandbagging just for the Gophers! :lol:

I guess I was referring to his assessment of the Zach Jones/Tony Lucia situation, in which he left out the little fact that Evan Trupp got speared and that Jones was trying to stand up for his teammate. Someone with Nanne's experience and big-name recognition should not have glossed over that point. I probably should have been more specific in my original comment. My mistake.

If FSN had the caught the spear/butt end on tape this discussion wouldn't be happening or as someone said last night at the central game maybe FSN has this action on television but to show it.

Minnesota fans and media types have been babbling about 23 year old Canadians for years so they have repeated it so much they probably think it's true.

One thing that I know is true is that you would have to look through alot of rosters to find any players who played in the WCHA that were older than 2 former Gophers.

Dan Woog was 25 as a senior for the Gophers and Goalie Steve Debus was also 25 and had he come back for his 4th season would have been 26. Stu Bickel also happened to be a 21 year old freshman for the Golden Angels on Ice last season.

One thing I think Lou nanne did get right was his statement

"what alot of people tend to forget is physicality is also a talent and skill, but it's not a skill the gophers possess and UND excels at it."

Don't forget Steve Debus was up there when he left the UofMN. I think IIRC he was 24-26ish.