SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX Recruits - 2008-09 Updates, Monitoring Their Junior League Play

AZSIOUX

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, according to Brad's blog, Mattson will play in the USHL next season and Knight will be back in the AJHL.

Who does that leave? Forney and Rowney perhaps?

I'm guessing Rowney is for sure coming... still haven't heard anything on if Forney is coming back, but it sounds like it might be the case.

I'm guessing Rowney is for sure coming... still haven't heard anything on if Forney is coming back, but it sounds like it might be the case.

Possibly Fink? He's the only other 09/10 remaining if Forney isn't coming back. Fink's point totals in the USHL aren't that impressive, but who knows...

Guessing and for sure coming seems like a contradiction to me.

Schlossman's blog now has Knight back to the AJHL and Mattson to the USHL.

At risk of repeating myself:

I know I speculated otherwise elsewhere, but if both "Knight back to AJHL for 2009-10" and "Mattson trying out in Omaha" are true ... and Hakstol needs five forwards to replace the seniors ...

Cichy, Kristo, Bruneteau, ... Forney? , ... Rowney? ...

Forney is a unique case (1988 DOB).

Bruneteau and Rowney are 1989 DOBs.

This would essentially have the five oldest forward recruits in the pipeline coming this fall.*

Brad has been hot on the Twitter updates today.

Alright, it's starting to come together now. Mattson and Knight wait until 10, Rowney comes this fall.

Now just the last piece of the puzzle is with Forney. With both Mattson/Knight waiting, I'm guessing that means...welcome back, Michael. :D

Brad has been hot on the Twitter updates today.

Alright, it's starting to come together now. Mattson and Knight wait until 10, Rowney comes this fall.

Now just the last piece of the puzzle is with Forney. With both Mattson/Knight waiting, I'm guessing that means...welcome back, Michael. :D

I'm going to guess this as well.

This says so as well, but I haven't seen an official announcement so I'm waiting for that:

http://www.ushl.com/ncaa/

Personally, I feel this is a smart move on the part of both sides.

Mattson gets a year of seasoning against tougher competition instead of just being thrown into the fire. Now, Mattson could probably do it, but I think he'll be even more hard to handle by Sioux opponents with a year of USHL under his belt than if he came this fall.

This means that, once again, we go into 09/10 as a very balanced team, though we don't really have any top tier super recruits ala Oshie/Toews/Parise/etc.

I am a strong proponent of balance over top heaviness.

Is Fink still in the possibility for next year or is he waiting too? He is the other one that I have for possible coming in next year, but I haven't updated in awhile.

I think this season was the first for Fink in which he had appreciable playing time, IIRC. He had injury problems which contributed to it.

I would hope Forney comes back and Fink uses his final year of USHL eligibility to play.

I really know nothing about Fink, though. I know that he was a pretty good player in high school. I also know he's had really bad luck with injury while in the USHL. He has one year of eligibility left. That's the extent I know.

I'd love to have Forney for the scoring depth. What little he played with UND he didn't get into much of a groove, but he did have flashes of brilliance. I saw some passes that rivalled Toews, VV, and Oshie in terms of slick. Of course, they were mere glimpses as he didn't get much playing time.

I think this season was the first for Fink in which he had appreciable playing time, IIRC. He had injury problems which contributed to it.

I would hope Forney comes back and Fink uses his final year of USHL eligibility to play.

I really know nothing about Fink, though. I know that he was a pretty good player in high school. I also know he's had really bad luck with injury while in the USHL. He has one year of eligibility left. That's the extent I know.

I'd love to have Forney for the scoring depth. What little he played with UND he didn't get into much of a groove, but he did have flashes of brilliance. I saw some passes that rivalled Toews, VV, and Oshie in terms of slick. Of course, they were mere glimpses as he didn't get much playing time.

Yeah glimpses are right...that being said I would like to see Forney back in a Sioux uni to realize his potential. Just shows how loaded the Sioux are at forward that Mattson has to spend a year in the USHL....He is a great player and I do not see Carter Rowney with the skills of Mattson.

I've seen Mattson play on TV. I have not seen Carter Rowney play so I'm not going to get into that whole argument about who should or should not be coming in. Thats what the coaching staff gets to do their job. There are probably reasons why Mattson is playing for Omaha instead of coming to UND this fall. Knight was told to stay in the AJHL b/c the Sioux coaches preferred him develop there as opposed to being stuck on the 3rd or 4th line next season. It's possible they told Mattson the same thing, which tells me they expect both of them to be impact players right away when they come in 2010.

... they may just roll with 14 fowards, they did a few years ago.

In 2008-09 they went with a 14F-8D-3G (25 man) roster (and that considers Brad Miller as a D, so really we could call it 14.5-7.5-3).

Right now, assuming Cichy, Kristo, Bruneteau, Rowney, (Gleason, MacWilliam, and Dell) they're at 14F-7D-3G (24 man) roster.

I don't believe they'll go with a 24 man roster. That's not much room to account for injuries.

My guess: Welcome back Michael Forney.

Now here's my question:

Are there any forwards who've played defense in the past?

With 7D on the roster you're two injuries away from being short on the blue line.

In 2008-09 they went with a 14F-8D-3G (25 man) roster (and that considers Brad Miller as a D, so really we could call it 14.5-7.5-3).

Right now, assuming Cichy, Kristo, Bruneteau, Rowney, (Gleason, MacWilliam, and Dell) they're at 14F-7D-3G (24 man) roster.

I don't believe they'll go with a 24 man roster. That's not much room to account for injuries.

My guess: Welcome back Michael Forney.

Now here's my question:

Are there any forwards who've played defense in the past?

With 7D on the roster you're two injuries away from being short on the blue line.

The only problem having 15 fowards this year comes into play in 2010-2011, because the only guarantees to leave would be this years seniors Vande and Zajac. The team would bring back 13 fowards and have to bring in a minimum of four (Knight, Mattson, Fink, and Rodwell). That's already 17 fowards not counting Matt White whose listed as a 2010. I know it's a ways off and I understand that there can be early signees, but I don't see any of this years sophmores or juniors signing early. If Forney comes in, there is going to be an issue of roster space for some of these players that are committed a ways out.

The only problem having 15 fowards this year comes into play in 2010-2011, because the only guarantees to leave would be this years seniors Vande and Zajac. The team would bring back 13 fowards and have to bring in a minimum of four (Knight, Mattson, Fink, and Rodwell). That's already 17 fowards not counting Matt White whose listed as a 2010. I know it's a ways off and I understand that there can be early signees, but I don't see any of this years sophmores or juniors signing early. If Forney comes in, there is going to be an issue of roster space for some of these players that are committed a ways out.

So you run with 14 in 2009-10?

If you don't bring in Rowney now you have to bring him in ... in 2010.

How exactly does that solve this assumed 2010-11 issue?

A year from now the departures at forward are Vande Velde and Zajac.

But I truly don't believe that will be the extent of it.

I expect the NYI woes to continue and Garth Snow to come sniffing after Jason Gregoire after he has a break out season.

And I know what players say, but there is some flight risk if either Malone or Frattin have big years.

I expect the NYI woes to continue and Garth Snow to come sniffing after Jason Gregoire after he has a break out season.

And I know what players say, but there is some flight risk if either Malone or Frattin have big years.

Garth was apparently sniffing around already this year, so that's a big risk. In addition, only because they've already watched him in one post NTDP season already, I wonder if Montreal could have some interest in Kristo before Sioux fans would like.

Garth was apparently sniffing around already this year, so that's a big risk. In addition, only because they've already watched him in one post NTDP season already, I wonder if Montreal could have some interest in Kristo before Sioux fans would like.

Probably. I think a lot depends on the new Canadiens coaching staff, how well Kristo does his freshman year, and how well he does in international competition (as surely he'll be back on Team USA).

Sica - I don't remember the last player who went from forward to defenseman, but I know of players of recent who played both positions. Scott Foyt and Lee Marvin come right to mind. However, they hardly had the same impact Miller did.

I think Marto has platooned at Wing a time or two. Didn't Genoway originally start with UND as a forward? I know he was listed at SSM and at Salmon Arm as a Center/D but I definitely don't see Chay going back to forward. Especially as it seems as we could be going 15F 7D 3G next year (assuming Forney didn't count towards the original 14 cited above AND Forney comes back to UND).

As for which of the forwards could move back to D.... I don't know. I love Davidson's size, but I am not sure on how defensively sound he is. He might not have the skating ability (something Miller definitely DID have).

I'd be interested too in asking Hakstol, if he had to choose one current or incoming forward to move back to defense, which one would it be?

So you run with 14 in 2009-10?

If you don't bring in Rowney now you have to bring him in ... in 2010.

How exactly does that solve this assumed 2010-11 issue?

A year from now the departures at forward are Vande Velde and Zajac.

Forney was the 15th foward not Rowney, it's for sure that Kristo, Cichy, Bruneteau, and Rowney will be here and there is no official report that Forney is coming in. In your originall post you assumed that Forney comes back and those are the 15 fowards, I put up the situation that it might make sense not to bring him in.

Obviously there is some risk that guys could leave early, but as of right now I don't see Gregoire as a two year player or Malone and Frattin as three year players because they haven't proven that they're capable of playing at an NHL level, but that's my opinion.

Probably. I think a lot depends on the new Canadiens coaching staff, how well Kristo does his freshman year, and how well he does in international competition (as surely he'll be back on Team USA).

Sica - I don't remember the last player who went from forward to defenseman, but I know of players of recent who played both positions. Scott Foyt and Lee Marvin come right to mind. However, they hardly had the same impact Miller did.

I think Marto has platooned at Wing a time or two. Didn't Genoway originally start with UND as a forward? I know he was listed at SSM and at Salmon Arm as a Center/D but I definitely don't see Chay going back to forward. Especially as it seems as we could be going 15F 7D 3G next year (assuming Forney didn't count towards the original 14 cited above AND Forney comes back to UND).

As for which of the forwards could move back to D.... I don't know. I love Davidson's size, but I am not sure on how defensively sound he is. He might not have the skating ability (something Miller definitely DID have).

I'd be interested too in asking Hakstol, if he had to choose one current or incoming forward to move back to defense, which one would it be?

Way back when, I recall Brent Bobyk being switched fron forward to defenceman, although I'm not sure of the year or how many games. I think it was in 87-88.

Without seeing Knight and Rowney, I can only speculate on why Rowney is coming in ahead of Mattson and Knight. The fact that he was MVP of the AJHL playoffs may suggest that he is more experienced than others in the league and it shows up at the right time, which means he might have a shorter learning curve in college hockey than the others might have. Again, having only seen Mattson, it could be that we have enough high-end skill players already and need to fill other roles. We all know that the Sioux coaching staff, perhaps more than any other, has a defined formula on what works for them, and if Rowney is a grinder, perhaps he may fit a role that the staff thinks needs more attention. Of course, if the other two go fairly high in the draft and only end up playing here a couple of years, some people may second guess the decision much as with Forney coming directly from high school. It wouldn't necessarily mean that bringing in Rowney would be wrong, because who's to say what that extra year will do for both Knight and Mattson. I for one will enjoy going to Fargo to see Mattson like I got to see Cichy and Kristo in the USHL.