SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX Recruits - 2008-09 Updates, Monitoring Their Junior League Play

AZSIOUX

It's a ways off, but it is summer, the NHL came out with a 2010 Draft Watch List with a few of our guys on here. The players are listed with the teams they played with last year so don't get confused,

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=37762

forbort, n mattson and parks are the only 3 right? just making sure i didnt miss any. thanks for the link

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You would have to assume that Danny Mattson will end up pretty high on the list by the time the draft comes around. I still can't believe he wasn't taken this year.

It's hard to believe he'll go high after not getting drafted at all. I'm sure he might get drafted next year, but to say he'll be anything higher than a 4th or 5th round pick would be tough to say unless his USHL season is off the charts good.

It's hard to believe he'll go high after not getting drafted at all. I'm sure he might get drafted next year, but to say he'll be anything higher than a 4th or 5th round pick would be tough to say unless his USHL season is off the charts good.

I agree.

He'll be a steal at wherever he'll be drafted. And even if he isn't drafted, he'll be just as prized as Daniel Winnik or Tyler Bozak.

per brad

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/

Checking in quick here as the news-on-vacation streak is alive and well.

TRF goalie Zane Gothberg committed to UND tonight and will likely join the Sioux in 2012. Also, the NHL's Central Scouting Bureau released its player to watch list for 2010 and four UND recruits are on it.

herald article

One of the top boys high school hockey goalies in Minnesota is heading to UND.

Thief River Falls

update as of today for future recruits and their teams next season

NICK MATTSON - D - Indiana- USHL

DANNY MATTSON - F - Omaha - USHL

MIKE FINK - F - Des Moines- USHL

DEREK FORBORT - D - NTDP USA

MATT WHITE - F - Lincoln - USHL

MICHAEL PARKS - F - Cedar Rapids - USHL

CORBAN KNIGHT - F - Okotoks Oilers - AJHL - 2009 Draft Pick of Florida, 5th Rd, #135

BRENDAN O'DONNELL - F - Winnipeg South Blues - MJHL

DEREK RODWELL - F - Okotoks Oilers - AJHL - 2009 Draft Pick of New Jersey, 5th Rd, #144

ZANE GOTHBERG - G - Thief River Falls - MN-HS

I think this kid is going to be a monster.

He has the ability to be the complete package for an NHL defenseman, good size, speed, hands, aggressiveness, etc. With a good year at the NTDP, he could be a first round draft pick or even a top 10. Both Forbort and Nick Mattson will come in here in 2010 and probably be our most talented defenseman.

He has the ability to be the complete package for an NHL defenseman, good size, speed, hands, aggressiveness, etc. With a good year at the NTDP, he could be a first round draft pick or even a top 10. Both Forbort and Nick Mattson will come in here in 2010 and probably be our most talented defenseman.

i have a question for you about mattson... when the u-18 was here, he got very little playing time, mostly pp and some pk also. was is just that he was younger and there were guys ahead of him, or does he still have things to work on before he is wcha ready? it seemed he could put on some weight yet, but that is true of most 17 and 18 year olds. just wondering, especially since he didn't get drafted. from what i saw of him, he is a very good skater, and good with the puck.

i have a question for you about mattson... when the u-18 was here, he got very little playing time, mostly pp and some pk also. was is just that he was younger and there were guys ahead of him, or does he still have things to work on before he is wcha ready? it seemed he could put on some weight yet, but that is true of most 17 and 18 year olds. just wondering, especially since he didn't get drafted. from what i saw of him, he is a very good skater, and good with the puck.

NICK Mattson was not draft eligible (the D that played at the NTDP and will play in the USHL next year)

DANNY was draft eligible (the F that played at Holy Angels and will play in the USHL next year)

NICK Mattson was not draft eligible (the D that played at the NTDP and will play in the USHL next year)

DANNY was draft eligible (the F that played at Holy Angels and will play in the USHL next year)

i didn't know this wasn't his draft year, as i assume from the talk on him he will be drafted. still wondering on his playing time with the development team? i'm guessing his age had alot to do with it?

From what I've always understood is that his strength is special teams. They did have eight defenseman this year so as for playing time that night, who knows what the situation was but he still played in 63 games this year for the NTDP. He was second in defenseman scoring at the 18U worlds behind Cam Fowler, who is one of if not the best North American defenseman for his age group. He was also second in defenseman scoring for the NTDP all season, once again behind Cam Fowler. He has the natural ability, good skater and good hands. He probably still has some work to do so he'll get even more of a chance to improve in the USHL this year. Also, he didn't get drafted because he wasn't eligible.

I remember watching him in the Minnesota High School Hockey tourney and telling my self wait till he fills out. Holy Cow.

From what I've always understood is that his strength is special teams. They did have eight defenseman this year so as for playing time that night, who knows what the situation was but he still played in 63 games this year for the NTDP. He was second in defenseman scoring at the 18U worlds behind Cam Fowler, who is one of if not the best North American defenseman for his age group. He was also second in defenseman scoring for the NTDP all season, once again behind Cam Fowler. He has the natural ability, good skater and good hands. He probably still has some work to do so he'll get even more of a chance to improve in the USHL this year. Also, he didn't get drafted because he wasn't eligible.

yeah he played 63 games and played all aspects of the game as well. fowler is dam good. mattson and forbort are the real deal and forborts size with his skill will make him a potential top 15 pick next summer. very rare to have that size along with that skill

yeah he played 63 games and played all aspects of the game as well. fowler is dam good. mattson and forbort are the real deal and forborts size with his skill will make him a potential top 15 pick next summer. very rare to have that size along with that skill

I saw Forbort play one game, and was very impressed. Like you all have said, wait til he gets on the better weight regimen and bulks up.

So you're saying he sucks? Should I warm up the bus? ???

ummmmmmm no :p

if he does though there shouldnt be any reason why people cant call him out without getting personal, lets not go down this path. gets old

back to recruited sioux updates :D

ajhl draft article

this may have been posted so sorry if so but cool to see the list of ajhl and nhl draft on bottom and corban knight is the profile pic which is sweet

i counted 8 below sioux players then add knight and rodwell to make 10 unless i missed a couple

Players selected in the NHL Entry Draft directly out of AJHL:

Joe Colborne, Camrose Kodiaks (1st round, 16th overall, Boston Bruins, 2008)

Andrew MacWilliam, Camrose Kodiaks (7th round, 188th overall, Toronto Maple Leafs, 2008)

Matt Frattin, Fort Saskatchewan Traders (4th round, 99th overall, Toronto Maple Leafs, 2007)

Bradley Eidsness, Okotoks Oilers (5th round, 129th overall, Buffalo Sabres, 2007)

Allen York, Camrose Kodiaks (6th round, 158th overall, Columbus Blue Jackets, 2007)

Jase Weslosky, Sherwood Park Crusaders (4th round, 108th overall, New York Islanders, 2006)

Jesse Martin, Spruce Grove Saints (7th round, 195th overall, Atlanta Thrashers, 2006)

Mason Raymond, Camrose Kodiaks (2nd round, 51st overall, Vancouver Canucks, 2005)

T. J. Fast, Camrose Kodiaks (2nd round, 60th overall, Los Angeles Kings, 2005)

Matt Glasser, Fort McMurray Oil Barons (7th round, 220th overall, Edmonton Oilers, 2005)

Nick Johnson, St. Albert (3rd round, 67th overall, Pittsburgh Penguins, 2004)

Scott McCulloch, Grande Prairie (6th round, 165th overall, Chicago Blackhawks, 2004)

Matt McKnight, Camrose (9th round, 280th overall, Dallas Stars, 2004)

Ty Morris, St. Albert (4th round, 128th overall, Vancouver Canucks, 2003)

Mike Brodeur, Camrose (7th round, 211th overall, Chicago Blackhawks, 2003)

Jay Rosehill, Olds (7th round, 227th overall, Tampa Bay Lightning, 2003)

Glenn Fisher, Fort Sask. Traders (5th round, 148th overall, Edmonton Oilers, 2002)

Joel Andresen, St. Albert Saints (5th round, 157th overall, L. A. Kings, 2002)

Dan Glover, Camrose (8th round, 250th overall, New Jersey Devils, 2002)

Richard Petiot, Camrose (4th round, 116th overall, Los Angeles Kings, 2001).

Craig Weller, Canucks (5th round, 167th overall, St. Louis Blues, 2000).

Mike Siklenka, Lloydminster (5th round, 118th overall, Washington Capitals, 1998).

Paul Cabana, Fort McMurray (6th round, 149 overall, Vancouver Canucks, 1998).

Matthew Yeats, Olds (9th round, 248th overall, Los Angeles Kings, 1998).

Alexander Fomichev, St. Albert (9th round, 231st overall, Edmonton Oilers, 1997)

Stephen Wagner, Olds (6th round, 159th overall, St. Louis Blues, 1996)

Fernando Pisani, St. Albert (8th round, 195th overall, Edmonton Oilers, 1996)

Mike LaPlante, Calgary Royals (7th round, 159th overall, Anaheim Mighty Ducks, 1995)

Curtis Sheptak, Olds (7th round, 160th overall, Edmonton, 1994)

Colin Forbes, Sherwood Park (7th round, 166th overall, Philadelphia Flyers, 1994)

Warren Luhning, Royals (4th round, 92nd overall, New York Islanders, 1993)

Chris Davis, Royals (10th round, 246th overall, Buffalo Sabres, 1993)

Kyuin Shim, Sherwood Park (8th round, 181st overall Edmonton, 1992)

Mickey Elick, Royals (8th round, 192nd overall, New York Rangers, 1992)

Dixon Ward, Red Deer (7th round, 128th overall, Vancouver Canucks, 1988)

Greg Geldart, St. Albert (8th round, 149th overall, Vancouver Canucks, 1988)

Geoff Smith, St. Albert (3rd round, 63rd overall, Edmonton Oilers, 1987)

Garry Valk, Sherwood Park (6th round, 108th overall, Vancouver, 1987)

Brad Turner, Calgary Canucks (3rd round, 58th overall, Minnesota North Stars, 1986)

Eric Murano, Canucks (5th round, 91st overall, Vancouver Canucks, 1986)

Matt Pesklewis, St. Albert (5th round, 97th overall, Boston Bruins, 1986)

Joe Quinn, Canucks (6th round, 116th overall, Hartford Whalers, 1986)

Ryan Pardowski, Canucks (8th round, 150th overall, New Jersey Devils, 1986)

Frank Furlan, Sherwood Park (8th round, 155th overall, Winnipeg Jets, 1986)

Barry Chyzowski, St. Albert (8th round, 156th overall, Rangers, 1986)

Rob Glasgow, Sherwood Park (9th round, 179th overall, Hartford, 1986)

Tony Fairfield, St. Albert (8th round, 167th overall, Edmonton Oilers, 1985)

Darryl Olsen, St. Albert (9th round, 185th overall, Calgary Flames, 1985)

Doug Greschuk, St. Albert (11th round, 212th overall, Pittsburgh Penguins, 1985)

Kevan Melrose, Red Deer Rustlers (7th round, 138th overall, Calgary, 1984)

Brent Regan, St. Albert (10th round, 193rd overall, Hartford, 1984)

Daryn Fersovich, St. Albert (10th round, 204th overall, Philadelphia, 1984)

Brad Berry, St. Albert (2nd round, 29th overall, Winnipeg, 1983)

Mal Parks, St. Albert (2nd round, 36th overall, Minnesota, 1983)

Perry Berezan, St. Albert (3rd round, 56th overall, Calgary, 1983)

Ron Chyzowski, St. Albert (4th round, 74th overall, Hartford, 1983)

Tarek Howard, Olds (4th round, 81st overall, Chicago Blackhawks, 1983)

Terry Taillefer, St. Albert (6th round, 126th overall, Boston, 1983)

Craig Coxe, St. Albert (4th round, 66th overall, Detroit Red Wings, 1982)

Dean Clark, St. Albert (8th round, 167th overall, Edmonton, 1982)

Brent Meckling, Canucks (10th round, 191st overall, Detroit, 1982)

Darren Acheson, Ft. Sask. (11th round, 229th overall, Montreal Canadiens, 1982)

Dale Thompson, Canucks (12th round, 240th overall, Calgary, 1982)

Dave Donnelly, St. Albert (2nd round, 27th overall, Minnesota, 1981)

Brent Sutter, Red Deer (1st round, 17th overall, Islanders, 1980)

Troy Murray, St. Albert (3rd round, 57th overall, Chicago, 1980)

Brian Tutt, Canucks (6th round, 126th overall, Philadelphia, 1980)

Steve McKenzie, St. Albert (10th round, 198th overall, Pittsburgh, 1980)

Glen Johannesen, Red Deer (10th round, 206th overall, Islanders, 1980)

ajhl draft article

this may have been posted so sorry if so but cool to see the list of ajhl and nhl draft on bottom and corban knight is the profile pic which is sweet

i counted 8 below sioux players then add knight and rodwell to make 10 unless i missed a couple

Andrew MacWilliam, Camrose Kodiaks (7th round, 188th overall, Toronto Maple Leafs, 2008)

Matt Frattin, Fort Saskatchewan Traders (4th round, 99th overall, Toronto Maple Leafs, 2007)

Bradley Eidsness, Okotoks Oilers (5th round, 129th overall, Buffalo Sabres, 2007)

Dixon Ward, Red Deer (7th round, 128th overall, Vancouver Canucks, 1988)

Geoff Smith, St. Albert (3rd round, 63rd overall, Edmonton Oilers, 1987)

Garry Valk, Sherwood Park (6th round, 108th overall, Vancouver, 1987)

Brad Berry, St. Albert (2nd round, 29th overall, Winnipeg, 1983)

Mal Parks, St. Albert (2nd round, 36th overall, Minnesota, 1983)

Perry Berezan, St. Albert (3rd round, 56th overall, Calgary, 1983)

Tarek Howard, Olds (4th round, 81st overall, Chicago Blackhawks, 1983)

Dave Donnelly, St. Albert (2nd round, 27th overall, Minnesota, 1981)

Troy Murray, St. Albert (3rd round, 57th overall, Chicago, 1980)

I have these ones.