SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX Recruits - 2008-09 Updates, Monitoring Their Junior League Play

AZSIOUX

I have these ones.

Add Greg Geldart to that list, although he didn't play here long. Same with Kevan Melrose, who ended up with a foot injury and I believe ended up at Harvard. Also, Colin Forbes was a casualty of Gasparini getting fired, so he decided not to come.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

per brad

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/

Parks, Gothberg named to Select team

The top 1992-born players, who are not with the U.S. NTDP in Ann Arbor, play in the Ivan Hlinka Memorial tournament each year in Slovakia.

Two Sioux recrutis were selected to that team, which was announced today by USA Hockey. Goalie Zane Gothberg and forward Mike Parks are on the 21-man roster.

Gothberg, a Fargo Force draft pick, will compete with current Force goalie Cody Campbell for the starting job on the team. This could be a preview of what's to come for Fargo this season. Gothberg has not decided yet whether he will play for the Force or his senior year for Thief River Falls.

Parks will play for Cedar Rapids in the USHL this season.

is there a story on it? wondering where he will be playing next season? i wish him the best, would have been nice to see what he could have done in green and white healthy, but i suppose he is doing what he thinks is best for him.

He's too old, I think, for MJ. So my guess he'd be either in the ECHL or the AHL.

• 2 weeks later...

per brad

WJC camp roster trimmed

USA Hockey narrowed the list of players from 42 to 29 at the World Junior evaluation camp and the remaining players will take on Russia in a series the rest of the week.

UND freshman Danny Kristo is among the players still at the camp. Mike Cichy, who was there last week, will not play against the Russians.

The two Roseau players at camp -- goalie Mike Lee (SCSU) and defenseman Aaron Ness (Minnesota) -- will stay to play against Russia.

Team coach Dean Blais said that USA Hockey will continue to evaluate all players -- including those who got sent home -- through December, when the final roster will be announced. Each year, there are always a handful of players who get picked for the team after not getting an invite to the camp.

per brad

Kristo with big numbers at camp

UND freshman Danny Kristo is making a good impression early at the World Junior camp. He is tied for the lead in goals and trails only Jordan Schroeder in points. Kristo is blogging at the camp for USHL.com. View that here. Here are point totals from the three intrasquad games (in red are the guys who aren't playing against Russia):

The USA killed Russia 8-1 in their National Junior Evaluation Camp game.

Kristo chipped in with two goals, one on on the PP.

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2073885...p;postcount=164

Good to see him becoming a point leader during the tryouts. Hopefully he can continue that for the Sioux this year and for the WJC.

USA beat Russia 6-1 yesterday, Kristo with a goal and two assists.

http://www.usahockey.com/Template_Usahocke...6&id=267120

Also at the Hlinka U18 today Parks had a goal in the 7-6 win over Slovakia

http://www.szlh.sk/statistiky/live-zapas/46737

So Cichy was cut from the WJ team?

It sounds like the answer is yes and no. He was one of the players allowed to go home when they reduced the roster for the rest of camp (they cut back to 29). But the actual WJ roster will be decided in December and will be based on this camp plus play through the first couple months of the season. So any of the players that were in camp this summer can still make the team, and they could even go off the board and add someone else. So yes, he was sent home during the cut down, but no he hasn't officially been cut from the team because it won't be chosen for 4 months.