SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX Recruits - 2008-09 Updates, Monitoring Their Junior League Play

AZSIOUX

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

The USA Hockey Select 17s gets underway this week. Michael Parks will be the Sioux's lone representative. I think Derek Forbort was originally invited after the Minnesota Advanced 17s, but because he is going to the NTDP he probably didn't want to participate. You can follow the tournament here,

http://www.usahockey.com/Tournament/Tourna...DivisionID=1578

HF devils draft review

devils

Derek Rodwell, LW -- Okotoks (AJHL)

5th pick, 5th round, 144th overall

The Devils went off the board with their pick in the fifth round, selecting Rodwell out the Alberta Junior Hockey League's Okotoks Oilers. The 6'1, 190 lb left winger just completed his second year with the Oilers and improved his totals across the board, scoring 17 goals,12 assists and 69 PIM's in 41 games. Had he not missed time this season due to injury, his numbers likely would have been even better, as he spent most of the season playing on the Oilers second line.

Rodwell is the type of player who often seems to be in the right spot at just the right time. He's not afraid to crash the net to pounce on loose pucks and rebounds, while creating havoc for opposing goaltenders. He enjoys the physical aspect of the game, but sometimes plays a little too reckless, something that he will learn to curb as he matures as a player. He is an above average skater who has good hands and also excels killing penalties.

As he grows into his body and fills out his frame, Rodwell has the potential to emerge into a mid-tier power forward down the road. With his solid skating ability and fearlessness driving to the net, those are traits that should continue to serve him well in his final season with Okotoks. He has committed to the University of North Dakota for the 2010-11 season, a place that has been kind to the Devils in past drafts. A project type of pick, the Devils will need a few seasons before they really know what they are getting in Rodwell.

Nick Mattson is not on the Youngstown Phatoms 25 man roster, meaning he must be a USHL free agent.. Anybody have any insight as to what the deal is? It wouldnt be because he didnt make the team, at least i hope not.

http://www.wfmj.com/Global/story.asp?S=10531382

he was traded to the Indiana Ice, according to the Indiana Ice website... i posted this in another thread a couple weeks ago as I found this out randomly a while back.

http://www.indianaice.com/news.php?id=879

update as of today for future recruits and their teams next season

NICK MATTSON - D - Indiana- USHL

DANNY MATTSON - F - Omaha - USHL

MIKE FINK - F - Des Moines- USHL

DEREK FORBORT - D - NTDP USA

MATT WHITE - F - Lincoln - USHL

MICHAEL PARKS - F - St. Louis Selects - Midget

CORBAN KNIGHT - F - Okotoks Oilers - AJHL - 2009 Draft Pick of Florida, 5th Rd, #135

BRENDAN O'DONNELL - F - Winnipeg South Blues - MJHL

DEREK RODWELL - F - Okotoks Oilers - AJHL - 2009 Draft Pick of New Jersey, 5th Rd, #144

NICK MATTSON - D - Ohio - USHL

DEREK FORBORT - D - NTDP USA - HS

MICHAEL PARKS - F - St. Louis Selects - Midget

CORBAN KNIGHT - F - Okotoks Oilers - AJHL - 2009 Draft Pick of Florida, 5th Rd, #135

DEREK RODWELL - F - Okotoks Oilers - AJHL - 2009 Draft Pick of New Jersey, 5th Rd, #144

Just an FYI -- Nick Mattson is playing for the Indiana Ice, not Ohio... Ohio's only USHL team is Youngstown, which traded Nick to Indiana. I think the info in Brad's blog was a typo. The link is in one of my posts above in this thread. :glare:

Just an FYI -- Nick Mattson is playing for the Indiana Ice, not Ohio... Ohio's only USHL team is Youngstown, which traded Nick to Indiana. I think the info in Brad's blog was a typo. The link is in one of my posts above in this thread. :glare:

yeah i was fixing it when you psoted this. i wrote it down wrong. thanks

HF florida draft review

Corban Knight, C

5th Round, 135th Overall

The Panthers selected Knight with their first of two fifth-round picks. Knight spent the 2008-09 season as a member of the Okotoks Oilers of the AJHL. He was one of six players from the league to be taken in 2009. With 34 goals and 38 assists, Knight led all league rookies in scoring by a considerable margin. League-wide, his 72 points were good enough to place him in a tie for eighth overall.

A late bloomer, Knight is a good skater who will have another year of play in the AJHL to work on his strength and polish his offensive skills further. He has signed a letter of intent with the University of North Dakota for the 2010-11 season.

per brad

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/

USHL schedule released

The 2009-10 USHL schedule is out and there will be some more opportunities to see future Sioux players in Fargo. Recruits are in Fargo five times during off days for the Sioux. Here are the dates to mark on the caledar (let me know if I missed any):

Friday, Oct. 2 -- Lincoln (Matt White) at Fargo, 7:05 p.m. UND is off.

Wednesday, Dec. 16 -- Des Moines (Mike Fink) at Fargo, 7:05 p.m. UND is off.

Friday, Jan. 15 -- Des Moines (Fink) at Fargo, 7:05 p.m. UND is at Minnesota.

Saturday, Jan. 16 -- Des Moines (Fink) at Fargo, 7:05 p.m. UND is at Minnesota.

Friday, Feb. 5 -- Omaha (Danny Mattson) at Fargo, 7:05 p.m. UND is off.

Saturday, Feb. 6 -- Omaha (Mattson) at Fargo, 7:05 p.m. UND is off.

Friday, Feb. 12 -- Cedar Rapids (Michael Parks) at Fargo, 7:05 p.m. UND is at SCSU.

Saturday, Feb. 13 -- Cedar Rapids (Parks) at Fargo, 7:05 p.m. UND is at SCSU.

Saturday, Feb. 20 -- Indiana (Nick Mattson) at Fargo, 8:05 p.m. UND hosts Duluth.

Sunday, Feb. 21 -- Indiana (N. Mattson) at Fargo, 4:05 p.m. UND is off.

Friday, March 12 -- Lincoln (White) at Fargo, 7:05 p.m. UND playing first-round series.

Saturday, March 12 -- Lincoln (White) at Fargo, 7:05 p.m. UND playing first-round series.

NICK MATTSON - D - Indiana- USHL

DEREK FORBORT - D - NTDP USA

MICHAEL PARKS - F - Cedar Rapids - USHL

is forbort and his USA team playing a full ushl schedule now?

Yes, there are 2 new teams in the USHL this year, Team USA and the Youngstown (Ohio) Phantoms.

not sure if forborts team will be doing more play vs d3 and d1 teams though and maybe the other team doing the ushl schedule. i guess im not sure as ive heard both

not sure if forborts team will be doing more play vs d3 and d1 teams though and maybe the other team doing the ushl schedule. i guess im not sure as ive heard both

I believe it is the 17U team that is playing in the USHL, as it is an upgrade from the NAHL. It makes more sense for a team of 16-17 year olds to play in the USHL, since the NAHL is a tier 2 league of 19-20-21 year olds. The 18U team is still playing the d1 and international schedule with select dates of USHL games.

I believe it is the 17U team that is playing in the USHL, as it is an upgrade from the NAHL. It makes more sense for a team of 16-17 year olds to play in the USHL, since the NAHL is a tier 2 league of 19-20-21 year olds. The 18U team is still playing the d1 and international schedule with select dates of USHL games.

This is from the USHL site

The USNTDP, USA Hockey's Ann Arbor-based program of 46 select 17 and 18-year-olds, will field "Team USA" with a varying roster based upon the program's international and collegiate schedule.

I took that to mean that one of the two teams or a combination of players from both teams will play the USHL games. It sounded like it could be a different team of players every time you see them in the USHL.

To note that link, his 5 points put him at 40th of all the players at the camp.

The points are not necessarily reflective of player ability since these teams are randomly assembled. It's hard to judge how good a player did unless you were there. He was in the all star game, so he was one of the top players in that regard. I guess the ultimate judgement will be if he makes the team that goes overseas.

The points are not necessarily reflective of player ability since these teams are randomly assembled. It's hard to judge how good a player did unless you were there. He was in the all star game, so he was one of the top players in that regard. I guess the ultimate judgement will be if he makes the team that goes overseas.

Right...time is the only thing that tells when it comes to a junior hockey player anyways.