SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX Recruits - 2008-09 Updates, Monitoring Their Junior League Play

AZSIOUX

getting back to forney i have been told he should be able to play 2 years no matter what college he chooses to go to next season. i could be wrong on this as well but last year would have been his sit out year. isnt bennett going to UW after playing for BU 2 seasons ago and now will play for UW this season?

bennett

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=95346

I was under that impression as well as Quinn Fylinng (sp) had four years even though he went back to JR's.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cichy 2g, 2a in 6-0 win tonight as pointed out. cichy and kristo are gona turn some heads in grand forks and in the wcha !!

!

We went to the game last night and Cichy is good.....really good! He'll be fun to watch next year. He has a heck of a shot and can make a pass when it doesn't appear to be there. As for the game....Lee let in 3 goals in the first 4 minutes and was pulled. 2 of the goals were terrible, just wasn't his night. Of course one could argue that the Force D-men could not move the Indiana team from the front of the net. They could have brought a camper with for how much they just camped out there. Was a fun night but a long drive home to Forks. Made me wonder what a crappy drive home after a Sioux game in the dead of winter for Fargo fans.

getting back to forney i have been told he should be able to play 2 years no matter what college he chooses to go to next season. i could be wrong on this as well but last year would have been his sit out year. isnt bennett going to UW after playing for BU 2 seasons ago and now will play for UW this season?

bennett

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=95346

I don't believe that his year in the USHL can count as his sit out year because I think you need to be enrolled and attend classes at the school you are transferring to during your sit out year.

If he transferred to another school he would have to go to school while sitting out and then he would only have one year left because of the five year rule.

I could be wrong too.

The USHL year worked out just fine for Quinn Fylling because he didn't transfer. That USHL year for Quinn was his "fifth" (some call it "redshirt") year under the "five academic years to complete four seasons of competition" rule.

A quick review of section 14.5 of the 2008-09 NCAA DI Manual shows that if you tranfer, yes, you must complete an academic year in residence at the new institution without competing before you become competition-eligible.

In Forney's case the "five year clock" he started in fall of 2006 at UND is running.

2006-07: freshman at UND

2007-08: sophomore at UND

2008-09: at Green Bay, USHL

2009-10: ?

2010-11: ?

If he were to transfer that'd say:

2009-10: completing year in residence at new institution --> no NCAA competition allowed

2010-11: last NCAA eligible season

If he were to come back to UND that'd say:

2009-10: junior at UND

2010-11: senior at UND

Now here's where I can really confuse you all:

Forney, during 2007-08, met the criteria* to request a sixth academic year to complete four seasons of competition (see 2008-09 NCAA DI Manual section 14.2.4). He'd get to play during 2011-12 if the NCAA granted the sixth year. (However, given the year away in the USHL, I wonder if the NCAA would grant a sixth year at UND or anywhere else.)

* He was injuried in NCAA play, played in less than 30% of the scheduled games that year, and none of the play was in the second half of the schedule that year.

My understanding is that there is also a provision allowing for the player to play right away at a "new" school, if that player attends classes at a junior college during the USHL year (in this case), and obtains an associates degree.

My understanding is that there is also a provision allowing for the player to play right away at a "new" school, if that player attends classes at a junior college during the USHL year (in this case), and obtains an associates degree.

That is correct (section 14.5.6 "4-2-4 College Transfers").

So, did Forney transfer to a 2-year school, average 12 transferable credits per semester with a 2.000 GPA, and graduate from a 2-year school? That would be a big signal as to his thoughts of returning to UND or going elsewhere.

That is correct (section 14.5.6 "4-2-4 College Transfers").

So, did Forney transfer to a 2-year school, average 12 transferable credits per semester with a 2.000 GPA, and graduate from a 2-year school? That would be a big signal as to his thoughts of returning to UND or going elsewhere.

I don't think he did

ANDREW MACWILLIAM - D - (SIOUX 09')- 2008 Draft Pick of Toronto, 7th Rd, #188

NICK MATTSON - D - Youngstown (in 09) - USHL

DANNY MATTSON - F - (will guess USHL for 09') - HS

MIKE FINK - F - Waterloo - USHL

JOE GLEASON - D - (SIOUX 09') - - 2008 Draft Pick of Chicago, 7th Rd, #192

BRETT BRUNETEAU - F - (SIOUX 09')- - 2007 Draft pick of Washington, 4th Rd, #108

MIKE CICHY - F - (SIOUX 09')

DANNY KRISTO - F - (SIOUX 09') - 2008 Draft Pick of Montreal, 2nd Rd, #56

DEREK FORBORT - D - NTDP USA - HS

MATT WHITE - F - Lincoln - USHL

MICHAEL PARKS - F - St. Louis Selects - Midget

CORBAN KNIGHT - F - Okotoks Oilers (?? for 09') - AJHL

BRENDAN O'DONNELL - F - Winnipeg Wild - Midget

CARTER ROWNEY - F - Okotoks Oilers - AJHL

AARON DELL - G- (SIOUX 09')

DEREK RODWELL - F - Okotoks Oilers - AJHL

just a update, white was traded to lincoln. nick mattson will play in ushl taken by youngstown in ushl and will play there in expansion draft

CICHY, KRISTO, BRUNETEAU, GLEASON, MACWILLIAM AND DELL in for sure as of now. waiting on FORNEY then see what happens with knight who should be coming in as well

• 2 weeks later...

we already know knight went from non ranked to ranked to go 2-4th rd in the upcoming draft but he has turned heads as well in some tests at the combine. per brad....

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/

Out of the 104 players in Toronto, Knight ranked high in both endurance and strength. The NHL released test results for top-10 performers in each exercise.

Knight, who measured 6-1, 180, was third (first among North Americans) in the dreaded VO2max bike test. Yeah, the one that caused Jonny Toews to lose his lunch a few years ago. He also finished second in pushups and was top 10 in pull strength and upper-body strength.

we already know knight went from non ranked to ranked to go 2-4th rd in the upcoming draft but he has turned heads as well in some tests at the combine. per brad....

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/

Out of the 104 players in Toronto, Knight ranked high in both endurance and strength. The NHL released test results for top-10 performers in each exercise.

Knight, who measured 6-1, 180, was third (first among North Americans) in the dreaded VO2max bike test. Yeah, the one that caused Jonny Toews to lose his lunch a few years ago. He also finished second in pushups and was top 10 in pull strength and upper-body strength.

That is awesome for UND and Knight.

So, is there a chance that Knight comes in this year? And when the h*** when we know the story on Forney? (I'm getting des ;) parate for some real men's hockey news.........I hate the off-season.)

i would look for knight to be coming in. i believe they are waiting on forney and his decision. i have also heard mattson is coming in but with kristo, cichy and bruneteau locks to come in i dont see another forward after forney if he makes the 5th forward. who knows but im sure we will find out soon

i would look for knight to be coming in. i believe they are waiting on forney and his decision. i have also heard mattson is coming in but with kristo, cichy and bruneteau locks to come in i dont see another forward after forney if he makes the 5th forward. who knows but im sure we will find out soon

That's why I am kindof reluctant to be excited for Mattson coming in. I'd rather him spend a year playing every game in the USHL and coming to UND in 2010 and let someone else platoon.

Then again, there's no saying that Mattson would platoon. Maybe someone else would be on the bench night in and night out.

That's why I am kindof reluctant to be excited for Mattson coming in. I'd rather him spend a year playing every game in the USHL and coming to UND in 2010 and let someone else platoon.

Then again, there's no saying that Mattson would platoon. Maybe someone else would be on the bench night in and night out.

Knight's scores were pretty impressive. I did not see Mattson on any of those top ten lists. Not that those tests are tell all but....

Knight's scores were pretty impressive. I did not see Mattson on any of those top ten lists. Not that those tests are tell all but....

ist great but not making the top 10 is pretty common. that means 140-150 other players didnt crack the top 10 and 20-30 of those will be first round picks. its great knight did so well, that kid has come out of nowhere with his play last season and hak and company sure knew what the hell they were doing to this point. i understand why they do it and test out but its like how dumb the nfl combine is where you can tear it up ON THE FIELD for 3 years then have a bad 40 and drop 2 rounds. if you can play you can play. thats the bottom line. i have full confidence mattson and kn ght are gona be special players at UND. they will both crack the lineup nightly. i believe knight has been coming in along with mattson for a while now. i think both will be there when school starts and im sure we will find out soon from hak. just looking at roster size its not doable to have forney as the 5th forward coming in and mattson though. just doesnt add up so who knows

Mattson is not a player that will be platooned he will be playing if he is here. Just a prediction.

I would have said the same thing about David Toews last year, so you never know. If you look at the players coming back and the ones that are coming in not including Knight or Mattson, and you still have good players who will have to watch from the pressbox. I have a feeling practices will be pretty intense.