SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX Recruits - 2008-09 Updates, Monitoring Their Junior League Play

AZSIOUX

Most of the fwds from last years top 2 PP units are back. You have Vandy and Hextall from the top unit and Frattin, Trupp, and Gregoire from the 2nd unit. The issue is definitely who does the point. Aside from Genoway and Marto, you need 2 others to run the point. I got the feeling last year that LaPoint may be a guy that the coaches thought at some point could be at one of the points. I also think I remember seeing Trupp at the point on the PP a few times. Interesting...

I've got a feeling Cichy and Kristo will see PP time next year.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GET OUT OF MY F'ING HEAD! :lol::lol:

I-i-i-i like-ke-ke-ke it-t-t-t in-n-n your-r-r-r head-d-d-d ...

Not-t-t-t much-ch-ch else-se-se in-n-n here-re-re ...

Lots-s-s-s of-f-f open-n-n-n-n-n-n space-ce-ce-ce-ce ...

</echo sound effect>

:lol:

(Dude, you can't make it that easy for me. :D )

Here's my two cents on possible lineups:

Gregoire - VV - Hextall

Frattin - Trupp - Toews

Malone - Zajac - Kristo

Forney - Cichy - Lammy

First Line - insert VV in for Duncan last year, Gregoire and Hextall both had good freshman years, good chemistry and getting VV in front of the net...good things

Second Line - Trupp and Toews both played some center last year...Toews played well last year for the time he did play and I think Frattin will continue to get better.

Third Line - Zajac and Malone to rough it up in the corners and the speedster Kristo to replace Watkins on this line...good be good things

Fourth Line - I've seen Cichy play in Fargo, he did most, if not all the centering...very good puck handling skills, sees the ice well and has a decent shot...Forney is still up in the air if he's coming to UND..will see..and Lammy continue to work hard and make things happen. That leaves Davidson, Rowney, and Brutuneau to fight for ice time. Rowney had big time numbers up in AJHL, be interesting to see what he brings and never seen Brutuneau play.

Genoway - Blood

LaPoint - Fienhage

Marto - MacWilliam

Gleason

its gona be interesting if forney does come in which i think he will or if he chooses to sign with atlantas system. if he doesnt then throw rowney in there for sure and davidson and brunuteau scratches if all healthy. thats a hell of a 12 player lineup imo. i move cichy up and forney but i guess with a balanced 12 like that with a few snipers you just roll 4 lines like hak does and have them all contribute and forget calling certain lines checking line then grinder line ect....just 4 lines with 12 players that can play hockey all around. the d looks good. thats the 6 that will roll out there barring injuries

its gona be interesting if forney does come in which i think he will or if he chooses to sign with atlantas system. if he doesnt then throw rowney in there for sure and davidson and brunuteau scratches if all healthy. thats a hell of a 12 player lineup imo. i move cichy up and forney but i guess with a balanced 12 like that with a few snipers you just roll 4 lines like hak does and have them all contribute and forget calling certain lines checking line then grinder line ect....just 4 lines with 12 players that can play hockey all around. the d looks good. thats the 6 that will roll out there barring injuries

Forney situation is interesting...you think if his mind was made up about UND, a person would hear about it. He may be thinking about signing with the Thrashers system...or going to another college..or joining some minor league...tough to say...he must have options though...can't wait til the season starts, it will be another fun season

Forney situation is interesting...you think if his mind was made up about UND, a person would hear about it. He may be thinking about signing with the Thrashers system...or going to another college..or joining some minor league...tough to say...he must have options though...can't wait til the season starts, it will be another fun season

its not made up, thats the thing. its up to him and a huge decision for himself overall. he wouldnt go to another college as im not sure he took classes last year so then he would have to sit out another year if thats the case. it will be und or atlantas system imo

its not made up, thats the thing. its up to him and a huge decision for himself overall. he wouldnt go to another college as im not sure he took classes last year so then he would have to sit out another year if thats the case. it will be und or atlantas system imo

Given the log jam at forward that the Sioux will have the next two years I would bet he is a bit conscerned about the possiblity he might end up on the short end of the ice time stick. Would his stock professionally be better now (after the USHL year he had) or after two years of role playing at UND?

Having said that, I think he should pick UND cause I'm sure the hot chick supply is a much better grade than your standard bar fly in the minor league. :lol:

Given the log jam at forward that the Sioux will have the next two years I would bet he is a bit conscerned about the possiblity he might end up on the short end of the ice time stick. Would his stock professionally be better now (after the USHL year he had) or after two years of role playing at UND?

Having said that, I think he should pick UND cause I'm sure the hot chick supply is a much better grade than your standard bar fly in the minor league. :lol:

I still have the utmost confidence in Forney. He never had a chance with his injuries here at UND the first go-around. Now that he had a full season under his belt and had a chance to get a feel for the game back, I think he can still become the player everyone predicted he could be before he came to Grand Forks.

I still have the utmost confidence in Forney. He never had a chance with his injuries here at UND the first go-around. Now that he had a full season under his belt and had a chance to get a feel for the game back, I think he can still become the player everyone predicted he could be before he came to Grand Forks.

Amen. I also hope he comes back and realizes his potential as a Fighting Sioux.

If he isn't confident he can battle it out for ice time with the Sioux, why take it to the next level where some people are battling to make a living?

As reported by Brad, Danny Kristo and Mike Cichy will be invited to the World Junior Evaluation Camp in August. Kristo comes at no surpise. Cichy may come as a surprise to some but remember that three years ago he was playing for the NTDP and was considered one of the best U.S. fowards in his age group, he just took a bit of a set back when he dropped out of the NTDP and went back to Boston. After having a great year in the USHL and at the World Junior A Challenge, he finally gets the recognition he deserves.

As reported by Brad, Danny Kristo and Mike Cichy will be invited to the World Junior Evaluation Camp in August. Kristo comes at no surpise. Cichy may come as a surprise to some but remember that three years ago he was playing for the NTDP and was considered one of the best U.S. fowards in his age group, he just took a bit of a set back when he dropped out of the NTDP and went back to Boston. After having a great year in the USHL and at the World Junior A Challenge, he finally gets the recognition he deserves.

It's official

http://www.usahockey.com/Template_Usahocke...6&id=263304

Found this floating around on NHL.com and didn't see it anywhere else here...if it is somewhere, I couldn't find it. A nice article on Knight's rise in the rankings here...

Even with the total number of forwards possible for next year, I still don't understand the coach's request for this kid to play another year of juniors. I find it hard to believe he wouldn't crack the lineup this year. But l guess the coaches know what they're doing.

Even with the total number of forwards possible for next year, I still don't understand the coach's request for this kid to play another year of juniors. I find it hard to believe he wouldn't crack the lineup this year. But l guess the coaches know what they're doing.

like you say, you have to trust the coaches. its a numbers game as well with the forwards that are coming in as we know. i dont think it was about cracking the lineup but overall they see him as a 3-4 year player either way and a year to get more stronger which he needs is the key. he and mattson will be big time imnpact players in 2010. book it just like kristo and cichy will be this season with their juniors experience

I think he probably could've cracked the lineup, but maybe the coaches think he wouldn't be an impact player. You have to be careful in rushing a players development. Put it this way, I would rather have a really good player for 2-3 years than a mediocore player for 4.

While I'm at it I mine as well ask for another opinion. I believe it will be a surprise if Fink ever wears a North Dakota uniform. I admit I've only briefly seem him play, but he really seems to be having a hard time in the USHL (and he only has one more year of eligibility there I believe). We already know he isn't coming in this year, and the Sioux are only graduating a couple forwards and should have minimal early losses to the NHL again next year. This means Fink will have have to come in with the 2010 class which is going to very talented along with the remaining roster from 2009. The coach's would never take back an offer they made to a kid, but I just think Fink will have to choose between riding the bench for a couple years or going elsewhere for immediate playing time. And it is my opinion he will choose the latter.

While I'm at it I mine as well ask for another opinion. I believe it will be a surprise if Fink ever wears a North Dakota uniform. I admit I've only briefly seem him play, but he really seems to be having a hard time in the USHL (and he only has one more year of eligibility there I believe). We already know he isn't coming in this year, and the Sioux are only graduating a couple forwards and should have minimal early losses to the NHL again next year. This means Fink will have have to come in with the 2010 class which is going to very talented along with the remaining roster from 2009. The coach's would never take back an offer they made to a kid, but I just think Fink will have to choose between riding the bench for a couple years or going elsewhere for immediate playing time. And it is my opinion he will choose the latter.

I think the coaches will probably wait another year to see how he develops and then make a decision. I think Fink made the jump from high school to juniors to early after only playing one year of high school. Although I tend to favor juniors over high school, I still think it's best for a player to wait until senior year to make the jump if they so please. I think a 16 year old playing in the USHL is just to young and can hurt his development, but that's just my opinion.

I think UND will honor their committment to Fink.

Fink may transfer after a year. Maybe to BSU or somewhere else though. I don't see Fink being anything but a bit player with the Sioux. He's been injury prone and barely existant in his USHL stint.

I think the coaches will probably wait another year to see how he develops and then make a decision. I think Fink made the jump from high school to juniors to early after only playing one year of high school. Although I tend to favor juniors over high school, I still think it's best for a player to wait until senior year to make the jump if they so please. I think a 16 year old playing in the USHL is just to young and can hurt his development, but that's just my opinion.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Luke Johnson...Steve Johnson's son. He'll be ready before his senior season, but how much before will be interesting to see.

Luke Johnson?

Why not GF (HS name here),

then NAHL (Bismarck),

then NAHL (Bismarck),

then USHL (Fargo),

then USHL (Fargo),

then ... wisely attend dad's alma mater. :)

If his father and rest of his family are in Fargo, it would make sense for a 14 yr old kid to be with his family and play in Fargo. If dad is commuting, then I am guessing he will be with GFC.

I don't think the NAHL is a league for a HS sophmore, age 15. Just my opinion, but another year of HS is good for a growing boy. Gives him time to weight train and put on muscle with a schedule that isn't too demanding. Also, it is still a young age to be away from family. I know it happens, but the NAHL is not the USDT where there is a VERY strict schedule and and emphasis on education.

After that, I think it would be based on his development and what him and his family think is best for him.

Obviously we have no say in any of this, but interesting to see how it plays out. Hopefully he will be in green and white, making plays like his father did in a few years.

If his father and rest of his family are in Fargo, it would make sense for a 14 yr old kid to be with his family and play in Fargo. If dad is commuting, then I am guessing he will be with GFC.

I don't think the NAHL is a league for a HS sophmore, age 15. Just my opinion, but another year of HS is good for a growing boy. Gives him time to weight train and put on muscle with a schedule that isn't too demanding. Also, it is still a young age to be away from family. I know it happens, but the NAHL is not the USDT where there is a VERY strict schedule and and emphasis on education.

After that, I think it would be based on his development and what him and his family think is best for him.

Obviously we have no say in any of this, but interesting to see how it plays out. Hopefully he will be in green and white, making plays like his father did in a few years.

They can move to Moorhead and then leave him alone untill he finishes school.