SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX Recruits - 2008-09 Updates, Monitoring Their Junior League Play

AZSIOUX

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without seeing Knight and Rowney, I can only speculate on why Rowney is coming in ahead of Mattson and Knight. The fact that he was MVP of the AJHL playoffs may suggest that he is more experienced than others in the league and it shows up at the right time, which means he might have a shorter learning curve in college hockey than the others might have. Again, having only seen Mattson, it could be that we have enough high-end skill players already and need to fill other roles. We all know that the Sioux coaching staff, perhaps more than any other, has a defined formula on what works for them, and if Rowney is a grinder, perhaps he may fit a role that the staff thinks needs more attention. Of course, if the other two go fairly high in the draft and only end up playing here a couple of years, some people may second guess the decision much as with Forney coming directly from high school. It wouldn't necessarily mean that bringing in Rowney would be wrong, because who's to say what that extra year will do for both Knight and Mattson. I for one will enjoy going to Fargo to see Mattson like I got to see Cichy and Kristo in the USHL.

One thing that was brought up is that, of the AJHL commits we have, Rowney is the oldest. He might even be the second oldest commit we have next to Fink and perhaps Bruneteau.

I also think that Rowney can be brought in without expectations being placed on him. He can learn the game at Rowney and the coaches' pace rather than, I feel, with Knight and Mattson, expected to contribute right away.

Rowney is no slouch. He's not a wild card like Rodwell, McDonnell, White, or Fink. He did pretty darn well for himself.

And as for Chris getting pwned, yeah, he did. However, Gary Joyce's comments are, at times, vague, and contradictory in themselves. He doesn't seem to attack many of the issues. He just seems to defend his position and attack Chris as being wrong.

One thing that was brought up is that, of the AJHL commits we have, Rowney is the oldest. He might even be the second oldest commit we have next to Fink and perhaps Bruneteau.

Fink isn't an old recruit. He graduated from high school this year and this upcoming season would be the first year he would be able to come in. He played his junior and senior high school years in the USHL and maybe that is why you assume he's an older recruit. He could still play two more seasons in the USHL if he or the coaches wanted him to. He is a few months older than Mattson and Knight and a day older than Rodwell.

Fink isn't an old recruit. He graduated from high school this year and this upcoming season would be the first year he would be able to come in. He played his junior and senior high school years in the USHL and maybe that is why you assume he's an older recruit. He could still play two more seasons in the USHL if he or the coaches wanted him to. He is a few months older than Mattson and Knight and a day older than Rodwell.

Oh.

My bad.

:D

If you can trust DOB info from Heisenberg and the wiki here, here's the recruits pipeline in DOB order ...

The * designate who I expect to see at UND this fall.

Note: The oldest forwards are coming with one "one day difference" exception.

F Michael Forney		 -88 *
F Brett Bruneteau 1-5-89 *
G Aaron Dell 5-4-89 *
F Carter Rowney 5-10-89 *
D Andrew MacWilliam 3-25-90 *
D Joe Gleason 3-30-90 *
F Danny Kristo 6-18-90 *
F Mike Fink 7-7-90
F Mike Cichy 7-8-90 *
F Derek Rodwell 7-8-90
F Corban Knight 9-10-90
F Danny Mattson 11-20-90
F Matt White 10-21-91
D Nick Mattson 10-25-91
F Michael Parks 2-15-92
D Derek Forbort 3-4-92
F Brendan O'Donnell 6-25-92[/code]

Forney was the 15th foward not Rowney, it's for sure that Kristo, Cichy, Bruneteau, and Rowney will be here and there is no official report that Forney is coming in. In your originall post you assumed that Forney comes back and those are the 15 fowards, I put up the situation that it might make sense not to bring him in.

Obviously there is some risk that guys could leave early, but as of right now I don't see Gregoire as a two year player or Malone and Frattin as three year players because they haven't proven that they're capable of playing at an NHL level, but that's my opinion.

I wouldn't be surprised to see one less forward on the roster from last season.

Also there will be a potential logjam in '10 if we bring in "too many" forwards this year.

FWIW

Goals "lost" (seniors and early dept)

2009: 54/146 total - 37%

2008: 32/129 - 25%

2007: 39/153 - 25%

2006: 64/164 - 39%

We will need the freshies (Kristo/Cichy especially) plus progression from the soph class to make up the difference. I think the Jr. class is what it is.

Looking back, who would have bet Martens would have outscored Kozek and Watkins last year?

This looks like a solid team to me!

Scoring 1: VV with Gregoire and Cichy

Scoring 2: Malone with Frattin and Kristo

Checking 1: Zajac with Rowney and Hextall

Scoring 3: Toews with Trupp and Forney

Checking 2: Lammy with Davidson and Bruneteau

D1: Genoway and Blood

D2: Marto and Finehage

D3: Lapoint and MacWilliam

D4: Gleason

G1: Brad E

G2: Dell

G3: ??

I am in love with my checking line 1. Talk about sweet and nasty. That crew up against a younger first or second scoring line...the other team will learn a thing or two about the finer points of hockey>

This looks like a solid team to me!

Scoring 1: VV with Gregoire and Cichy

Scoring 2: Malone with Frattin and Kristo

Checking 1: Zajac with Rowney and Hextall

Scoring 3: Toews with Trupp and Forney

Checking 2: Lammy with Davidson and Bruneteau

D1: Genoway and Blood

D2: Marto and Finehage

D3: Lapoint and MacWilliam

D4: Gleason

G1: Brad E

G2: Dell

G3: ??

I am in love with my checking line 1. Talk about sweet and nasty. That crew up against a younger first or second scoring line...the other team will learn a thing or two about the finer points of hockey>

A couple of comments about your lines and then my guesses from the predictions thread:

1. I don't like Hextall on a checking line. He showed last year he could score and I think he deserves to be on a scoring line.

2. With dressing 12 forwards and your lines, Lamoureux doesn't get to play much. I think he'll play a lot this next year and will seldom be a healthy scratch. If Forney comes in and plays well, I think Rowney will be the one that sits rather than Lamoureux.

My take:

VandeVelde centering Trupp and Frattin

Malone centering Gregoire and Hextall

Toews centering Kristo and Cichy

Zajac centering Lamoureux and Rowney

Bench: Davidson, Bruneteau, and ?

If Forney comes in and plays like he did in Green Bay he will be a regular. I also think that Toews will show why he was drafted in the 3rd round. He should be healthy and I think he'll be a nice surprise and if he does that his line could be really fun to watch.

Genoway and Blood

Marto and LaPoint

MacWilliam and Gleason

Bench: Fienhage. I think they'll give Blood a chance with Genoway but if MacWilliam is as good as they say he may end up playing with Genoway. I wanted to split up LaPoint and Marto and have them pair up with a freshman but decided to keep them together. Fienhage may be ready to take a regular shift but I don't know so I put him on the bench for now.

I'm glad Dell is coming so that we'll have a goalie battle again and Eidsness will get some relief during the season. I expect Eidsness to stay number 1 but Dell will play in about 8-10 games.

Genoway and Blood

Marto and LaPoint

MacWilliam and Gleason

Bench: Fienhage. I think they'll give Blood a chance with Genoway but if MacWilliam is as good as they say he may end up playing with Genoway. I wanted to split up LaPoint and Marto and have them pair up with a freshman but decided to keep them together. Fienhage may be ready to take a regular shift but I don't know so I put him on the bench for now.

So you'll play two freshmen? :D

I'd expect to see MacWilliam and Gleason played the same way Blood and Fienhage were: One or the other playing during the early part of the season (unless other circumstances warrant something else).

I'd expect to see MacWilliam and Gleason played the same way Blood and Fienhage were: One or the other playing during the early part of the season (unless other circumstances warrant something else).

I don't see Fienhage sitting on the bench next season. Just my IMHO

I would expect MacWilliam to be a regular in the lineup and in the top two pairs of D. Gleason will be the one sitting more often than not and Fienhage in. of course, just my opinion.

I don't see Fienhage sitting on the bench next season. Just my IMHO

not at all. he and blood are gona be staples back there on the blueline. both can hit and use their size along with some skill as well!

not at all. he and blood are gona be staples back there on the blueline. both can hit and use their size along with some skill as well!

It will be nice to have a few big bodies on D for a change (Blood, Fienhage, McWilliam). The opposition will pay to stand in front of our net.

I would expect MacWilliam to be a regular in the lineup and in the top two pairs of D. Gleason will be the one sitting more often than not and Fienhage in. of course, just my opinion.

Not just your opinion. My opinion too. Although I'd say MacWilliam will be in the lineup, whether that's top 2 pairs or not I don't know.

It will be nice to have a few big bodies on D for a change (Blood, Fienhage, McWilliam). The opposition will pay to stand in front of our net.

That always sounds good but I'd like to see the opposition pay to get into our zone. I'm tired of the speedy teams like BC just skating into the zone without paying a price. If it means taking a penalty then ok but we better be practicing our penalty kill if we play three big bodies like Blood, MacWilliam and Fienhage.

Both kids are monster size wise as well. I can't wait to see the hits these to put on the oppostion.

So you'll play two freshmen? :)

GET OUT OF MY F'ING HEAD! :D:D

I agree that Hextall showed he could score last year. I love that line idea as a checking line, because it can score. I see those three as being able to pen up most teams scoring lines in their own end, and then finish when they get a chance as well. With Hexy on that line, it means that in a tough, physical situation, say OT, that line can match up with anyone and have a likelihood of pumping one home as well. A checking line that can score not a checking line built simply to grind.

Anyway we slice it, there will be lots of line combos.

The d pairing situation...no way does Finehage sit. If he sits early, he will go play in the W.

My thoughts on D were to keep an older player with a less experienced player, and a puckmover with a crease clearer.

Genoway, Marto, and Lapoint are puckmovers.

Blood, Macwilliam and Finehage are crease clearers.

Gleason is an unknown to me. He played well at Edina and mediocre in USHL.

I agree that Hextall showed he could score last year. I love that line idea as a checking line, because it can score. I see those three as being able to pen up most teams scoring lines in their own end, and then finish when they get a chance as well. With Hexy on that line, it means that in a tough, physical situation, say OT, that line can match up with anyone and have a likelihood of pumping one home as well. A checking line that can score not a checking line built simply to grind.

Anyway we slice it, there will be lots of line combos.

The d pairing situation...no way does Finehage sit. If he sits early, he will go play in the W.

My thoughts on D were to keep an older player with a less experienced player, and a puckmover with a crease clearer.

Blood, Macwilliam and Finehage are crease clearers.

Gleason was an offensive defenseman much like Marto in High School (at least that's my take).

I think Gleason would be put in the "puckmover" category if you wish to use those categories.

What do you think the power play units will look like. If Gleason isn't in the lineup, do they put a Blood with Genoway and have Marto and Lapoint together, or do they move a forward to the point, and if so, who would fit the Martens mold? When you look at all the possibilities, there is going to be someone who has powerplay potential that won't be on the first two units. VanDevelde, Gregoire and Hextall could be the forwards on one unit, and Kristo, Cichy, and Trupp, or Toews on another with some rotating depending on gaining experience or slumps. Even so, how do you leave someone like Frattin off, or would he, Toews or Trupp be a candidate for the point? I guess the coaching staff has the insight to know the answer to most of these questions. Once again, good problem to have huh!

I do agree that Gleason probably might have a tougher time adjusting, but you never know, as I thought Marto adjusted better than LaPoint his first year, and USHL success would have dictated otherwise.

Blood, Macwilliam and Finehage are crease clearers. (MONSTERS OF THE CREASE)

Fixed your post. :lol:

What do you think the power play units will look like. If Gleason isn't in the lineup, do they put a Blood with Genoway and have Marto and Lapoint together, or do they move a forward to the point, and if so, who would fit the Martens mold? When you look at all the possibilities, there is going to be someone who has powerplay potential that won't be on the first two units. VanDevelde, Gregoire and Hextall could be the forwards on one unit, and Kristo, Cichy, and Trupp, or Toews on another with some rotating depending on gaining experience or slumps. Even so, how do you leave someone like Frattin off, or would he, Toews or Trupp be a candidate for the point? I guess the coaching staff has the insight to know the answer to most of these questions. Once again, good problem to have huh!

Most of the fwds from last years top 2 PP units are back. You have Vandy and Hextall from the top unit and Frattin, Trupp, and Gregoire from the 2nd unit. The issue is definitely who does the point. Aside from Genoway and Marto, you need 2 others to run the point. I got the feeling last year that LaPoint may be a guy that the coaches thought at some point could be at one of the points. I also think I remember seeing Trupp at the point on the PP a few times. Interesting...