SiouxSports.com Forum

Future Schedules

dakotadan

He never actually mentioned the year, he just said that Southeastern Louisiana was returning the game.

If your AD is saying it's a done deal I believe it...just haven't heard anything on this end, and usually I would...I hope we do return the trip at some point because I feel it would be a great experience for our program.

If your AD is saying it's a done deal I believe it...just haven't heard anything on this end, and usually I would...I hope we do return the trip at some point because I feel it would be a great experience for our program.

I think it's possible that this was not originally scheduled as a home-and-home, but the contract was modified to make it a home-and-home after Faison became A.D.

Since SELA is going to South Dakota next year, my guess is they will be returning UND in 2010 or maybe even 2011.

In any event, that's great news. The more quality teams to make it to Grand Forks the better.

Do any of you think that UND will play some quality teams like Cal Poly or Montana State or Montana next season?

I see that USD plays both Cal Poly and Montana State this season. How'd UND get shafted on the end of that deal?

Hopefully UND can win out or at least play close to SIU or UC Davis this year or whoever and get some notice for some good quality games on the schedule for next year!

I just watched Sioux Sports Extra online and AD Faison stated that UND and SELA is a home and home.

Sioux Sports Extra....Coach Mussman said that SELA will not be coming to Grand Forks. He also said that 10 games are already scheduled for next season. When they get 11 they will release the schedule.

Does anyone know how many home games we will be playing next year? Mussman stated on the Sioux sports show last night that there will be a total of 11 games. He said that 10 have already been scheduled and that once the last game is signed the schedule will be released.

I think this is what we know so far:

HOME:

UC-Davis

South Dakota

Idaho State

DII team

AWAY:

Cal-Poly

Southern Utah

Northwestern St. ?

Texas Tech

Is there any games I'm missing or incorrect about?

Coach also stated on last nights program that there will not be a return game to Grand Forks by SELA...

I guess I wasn't quick enough with my typing :)

Sioux Sports Extra....Coach Mussman said that SELA will not be coming to Grand Forks. He also said that 10 games are already scheduled for next season. When they get 11 they will release the schedule.

I didn't see the show last night--are you saying this was a one-game contract in which UND presumably got a small guarantee, or just that SE won't be coming to GF next year (but will in a future year)?

It sounded like just a one game contract.

And yet somehow USD managed to get a home-and-home with them? Strange. Obviously this season is a situation where we just needed games and couldn't be too demanding, but I certainly hope this is the last season in which we accept a one-game road-only contract with any FCS opponent.

It sounded like just a one game contract.

Mussman stated..."I don't think they want to play us in Grand Forks" or something similar. He was trying to say it would be a difficult game for them and he didn't think SELA wanted any part of it. At least that was my interpertation of it...

Mussman stated..."I don't think they want to play us in Grand Forks" or something similar. He was trying to say it would be a difficult game for them and he didn't think SELA wanted any part of it. At least that was my interpertation of it...

Unless a SELA official actually said that to UND, that comment seems awfully...umm..."confident" coming from the coach of the team that just lost to SELA. Obviously it would be a more difficult game for SELA playing on the road, but it's not like they wouldn't match up. I'm surprised Coach Mussman would say that.

I imagine Southeast Louisiana found out that the Sioux were a much tougher team than he had anticipated. Going on the road to UND proably isn't as appealing as he might of thought it would be. I'm sure there are easier road games for them to find than coming to Grand Forks. That is the bad thing about trying to get home games during the transition. Our team is too good to attract some teams to come to our place. Our home tradition and our winning history aren't appealing to some teams. The fact that we have a very good team doesn't help us.

Unless a SELA official actually said that to UND, that comment seems awfully...umm..."confident" coming from the coach of the team that just lost to SELA. Obviously it would be a more difficult game for SELA playing on the road, but it's not like they wouldn't match up. I'm surprised Coach Mussman would say that.

I believe he was saying it kind of "tongue in cheek" but as a head coach, he may want to be a little careful how he phrases things.

I imagine Southeast Louisiana found out that the Sioux were a much tougher team than he had anticipated. Going on the road to UND proably isn't as appealing as he might of thought it would be. I'm sure there are easier road games for them to find than coming to Grand Forks. That is the bad thing about trying to get home games during the transition. Our team is too good to attract some teams to come to our place. Our home tradition and our winning history aren't appealing to some teams. The fact that we have a very good team doesn't help us.

I guess it's a matter of perspective, but I don't think SELA was surprised by North Dakota. I'd guess most people would have picked UND to win the game at the time it was scheduled. I know I did. SELA was 3-8 last year and picked to finish second to last in their conference. UND was a DII power with quality wins over FCS competition. If anything, the game showed that SELA was a much tougher team than many anticipated, or that UND was not as tough as was expected. The rest of the season will tell which of these was the case.

SELA is going to South Dakota next year. Maybe that's not quite as daunting as coming to North Dakota, but it shows that SELA is not afraid to travel to a quality non-conference opponent. What may have happened is that USD got to SELA first and got the home-and-home contract. UND came later and SELA was understandably not interested in signing home-and-homes with both Dakota schools, so UND agreed to a one-game deal because UND was desperate for games. This year was extremely tough for scheduling, but for the rest of the transition, I fully expect UND to get home-and-home contracts with quality FCS teams. Maybe not the cream of the crop, but certainly with solid teams like SELA. I don't believe that's too much to expect and I trust Faison will get it done.

What gives?

http://www.usdcoyotes.com/sports/football/...release_id=4432

Eight of the 10 teams are NCAA Division I teams and 2009 will include a complete four-game Great West Football Conference schedule. USD will host McNeese State, Southeastern Louisiana, Southern Utah, UC-Davis, West Texas A&M and William Penn. The Coyotes will travel to Cal Poly, North Dakota, Northern Colorado and Northern Iowa.

How come they will play McNeese State and Southeastern Louisiana at home?

They get both Northern Colorado and Northern Iowa away too??

I think that some of these schools are afraid to play UND?

:)

What gives?

Eight of the 10 teams are NCAA Division I teams and 2009 will include a complete four-game Great West Football Conference schedule. USD will host McNeese State, Southeastern Louisiana, Southern Utah, UC-Davis, West Texas A&M and William Penn. The Coyotes will travel to Cal Poly, North Dakota, Northern Colorado and Northern Iowa.

Lets get one thing straight, these teams aren't "afraid" to play us. I am sick of reading that. They can't play everybody, we will play who we can, as will South Dakota. Saying teams are "afraid" is stupid and is something you would hear from the fans to the south of us and we do not want to start acting like that.

What gives?

USD travelled to McNeese last year, I believe. They were evidently able to get a home-and-home with them, with a one-year delay.