SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. SCSU - FRIDAY GAME 1

AZSIOUX

3 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

CBS > CCM

I'm assuming you're referring to this, from my weekend preview:

The newly-minted Fighting Hawks from the University of North Dakota fared much better in the postseason, defeating Northeastern (the nation’s hottest team), Michigan (featuring the nation’s best line), Denver (a bitter conference rival), and Quinnipiac (the nation’s best team) to hoist the program’s eighth national title. In the four games of the NCAA tournament, UND downed their opponents by a combined score of 18-7.

I agree with you that Caggiula, Boeser, and Schmaltz were better than Kyle Connor, JT Compher, and Tyler Motte, especially when it mattered most. But the numbers are eye-popping, even when you consider that coming into their playoff matchup, Michigan's strength of schedule was in the middle of the pack (30th of 60 teams according to KRACH; by comparison, UND had played the 11th most difficult slate of games) and the worst of any tournament team not named Ferris State or RIT. Coming in to the NCAA tourney, Red Berenson’s squad had played only three games against the field, splitting a pair with Boston University (2-3 L, 4-2 W) in November and defeating Ferris State University 5-2 in February.

Despite all of that, one can't argue that the national media was focused on the CCM line. Here's what I wrote in that game preview:

The Fighting Hawks and Wolverines also boast the top two lines and the top two rookies in all of college hockey. Michigan’s Kyle Connor (35-35-70) is the nation’s Rookie of the Year and the prohibitive favorite to win the Hobey Baker Memorial Award. UND’s Brock Boeser (26-28-54) is second in the country in scoring among freshmen.

Red Berenson’s ‘CCM’ line of Connor, JT Compher (14-47-61), and Tyler Motte (32-25-57) has scored more goals than nine other college hockey teams this season. North Dakota’s ‘CBS’ line has Boeser paired with Drake Caggiula (20-25-45) and Nick Schmaltz (10-34-44).

But I have to give you credit: you typed seven characters and got me to write an additional 300 words on a Friday afternoon (on top of the 2700 that I've already cranked out today). :)

Cheers!

Dave

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Dave Berger said:

The newly-minted Fighting Hawks from the University of North Dakota fared much better in the postseason, defeating Northeastern (the nation’s hottest team), Michigan (featuring the nation’s best line), Denver (a bitter conference rival), and Quinnipiac (the nation’s best team) to hoist the program’s eighth national title. In the four games of the NCAA tournament, UND downed their opponents by a combined score of 18-7.

I agree with you that Caggiula, Boeser, and Schmaltz were better than Kyle Connor, JT Compher, and Tyler Motte, especially when it mattered most. But the numbers are eye-popping, even when you consider that coming into their playoff matchup, Michigan's strength of schedule was in the middle of the pack (30th of 60 teams according to KRACH; by comparison, UND had played the 11th most difficult slate of games) and the worst of any tournament team not named Ferris State or RIT. Coming in to the NCAA tourney, Red Berenson’s squad had played only three games against the field, splitting a pair with Boston University (2-3 L, 4-2 W) in November and defeating Ferris State University 5-2 in February.

Despite all of that, one can't argue that the national media was focused on the CCM line. Here's what I wrote in that game preview:

The Fighting Hawks and Wolverines also boast the top two lines and the top two rookies in all of college hockey. Michigan’s Kyle Connor (35-35-70) is the nation’s Rookie of the Year and the prohibitive favorite to win the Hobey Baker Memorial Award. UND’s Brock Boeser (26-28-54) is second in the country in scoring among freshmen.

Red Berenson’s ‘CCM’ line of Connor, JT Compher (14-47-61), and Tyler Motte (32-25-57) has scored more goals than nine other college hockey teams this season. North Dakota’s ‘CBS’ line has Boeser paired with Drake Caggiula (20-25-45) and Nick Schmaltz (10-34-44).

But I have to give you credit: you typed seven characters and got me to write an additional 300 words on a Friday afternoon (on top of the 2700 that I've already cranked out today). :)

Cheers!

Dave

So in conclusion.....  CBS>CCM? :D

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dave Berger said:

Cheers!

Dave

This got me to laugh good!! I totally got you point, BUT you always post and say "discuss" so that was my "discussion" input. haha. Fair to say both lines were pretty phenomenal. Now that you have done your extra writing, take the rest of the afternoon off. haha :)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Given that in his previous 1 game he's scored a goal, you'd have to assume it'll continue.

Anyone else think if only that one goal he got taken away in the second game of the year had counted? :cool: That maybe he'd have more than one goal this season... 

1 minute ago, squirtcoach said:

i like Brock there. This creates serious matchup problems for the Huskies.

I'd be shocked if he has a big night tonight. Typically if you're a 1st or 2nd line guy playing on the 4th line, it's because you can go, you just can't go all the way. 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Hardcore Hawk said:

I'd be shocked if he has a big night tonight. Typically if you're a 1st or 2nd line guy playing on the 4th line, it's because you can go, you just can't go all the way. 

No doubt about it.  He will play limited minutes 5x5, but be available for the pp or if we go behind