SiouxSports.com Forum

Defensive 2 Deep Guesses

geaux_sioux

I wouldn't mind seeing them give Jake D a shot at ILB as he seems like a smart kid and is definitely tough as nails from what i have seen. Also, as mentioned above I would rather have him calling out shifts, slants, stunts, etc for the DL than a younger guy. That stuff can be overwhelming for someone with little experience.

18 minutes ago, Hardcore Hawk said:

One spot that I think will be a real toss-up is the one DE spot with Dranka and Cieslak. I think either guy could be the top guy. I remember last season Gigli said he likes to roll out whoever is hot that day, so "starter" is really just a title

The 3-man DL runs about 9 deep on game day, so he's not lying about that.

7 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Love how much more "quality" depth this team has developed.

Really hope Zimmerman is as solid as described, because having a competent backup makes me so much more comfortable about this team's potential.

It will be nice not to have to cringe and gasp every time Studs gets hit this year......assuming that Zimmerman can be a legit #2.  Also being able to call 7-8 running plays a game will help keep teams honest and help the running game overall.  

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Everyone is so quick to elevate Zimmerman. We don't know what we have in the other 2 yet. Heidlebaugh is an athletic beast that may just need some real live fire time to get the confidence he needs. He could play in a lot of different positions but they are keeping him at QB. Staff must see something. Will be an interesting Spring game. I hope any of those 3 young guys seizes the #2 spot and is ready to roll.

15 hours ago, Parkers Pros said:

Everyone is so quick to elevate Zimmerman. We don't know what we have in the other 2 yet. Heidlebaugh is an athletic beast that may just need some real live fire time to get the confidence he needs. He could play in a lot of different positions but they are keeping him at QB. Staff must see something. Will be an interesting Spring game. I hope any of those 3 young guys seizes the #2 spot and is ready to roll.

It's a tough position to move anyone from since UND is so thin on quarterbacks to begin with. Only 4 guys on roster, with only 1 having started a game, and only 3 starting as scholarship players ... tough situation.

18 hours ago, 77iceman said:

Looks as if the LB's will be good to go.  Any big, downhill running team may give them fits, though.  I can't think of one in the Big Sky Conference, though.

Utah has a solid running game. We will get tested early and often but the good news is it should be downhill from there. I think a tough test right out of the gates is a good thing for this group.

I watched the LB group pretty close and overall I liked what I saw. I did see some missed assignments but that is to be expected in spring ball. I am cautiously optimistic about this group. 

12 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

Utah has a solid running game. We will get tested early and often but the good news is it should be downhill from there. I think a tough test right out of the gates is a good thing for this group.

I watched the LB group pretty close and overall I liked what I saw. I did see some missed assignments but that is to be expected in spring ball. I am cautiously optimistic about this group. 

https://www.utahutes.com/news/2017/1/2/football-troy-taylor-is-utahs-new-offensive-coordinator.aspx?path=football

Our defense will be watching more Eastern Washington tape than Utah tape from last year.  I really like Palmborg and Haas in a game like this at outside backer.  (Palmborg because of his previous safety play and Hass because of his height and overall ability)

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

https://www.utahutes.com/news/2017/1/2/football-troy-taylor-is-utahs-new-offensive-coordinator.aspx?path=football

Our defense will be watching more Eastern Washington tape than Utah tape from last year.  I really like Palmborg and Haas in a game like this at outside backer.  (Palmborg because of his previous safety play and Hass because of his height and overall ability)

I had Haas pegged as our biggest steal from his class and hope he can stay healthy because if he fills out with that height and athletic ability he could be a one man wrecking crew.

41 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Well that changes things. Last season they had a solid running game so now i'm not sure what to think!

48 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

They also lost a 1st rounder on the OL.

And I think their best DL is leaving early for the draft, too!!

59 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

Well that changes things. Last season they had a solid running game so now i'm not sure what to think!

Yes, it will be an interesting game.  Taylor and Schmitty will probably be thinking about each other all summer.:love:

• Upvote 1

Obviously Utah will be a tough opponent being from the PAC-12 and all, but with that said, it will be the first game of the season for both teams. There will be plenty of first game mistakes by both squads ... hopefully less for UND. 

UND will have the most experienced squad yet under Bubba's HC tenure in 2017; if confident and able to execute, UND can pull the upset.  

On 4/17/2017 at 9:06 AM, gundy1124 said:

Palmborg had a huge hit in the spring game.  He's poised for a big year.

On 4/17/2017 at 5:23 PM, UND-FB-FAN said:

Obviously Utah will be a tough opponent being from the PAC-12 and all, but with that said, it will be the first game of the season for both teams. There will be plenty of first game mistakes by both squads ... hopefully less for UND. 

UND will have the most experienced squad yet under Bubba's HC tenure in 2017; if confident and able to execute, UND can pull the upset.  

run the ball, play good d, and not do triple reverses with the lead in the fourth quarter and down go the utes!

• Upvote 1