Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
geaux_sioux

Former Players

Recommended Posts

He is the kind of guy a team wants. He might not meet the typical measurables but makes up for it with strength and heart. I bet there are a ton of teams that hope he goes  undrafted because of his sleeper potential.

great article for Ratelle and UND!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 10:18 AM, Nodak78 said:

Wow, kind words indeed and well deserved based on his numbers (5'9" & a 4.54 40 yd dash & 36" vertical--nice!):

Will Ratelle turns heads
There was one small school player that really turned some heads at the University of Minnesota Pro Day. At 5’9” and 251 pounds, University of North Dakota linebacker Will Ratelle ran a 4.54 40-yard dash, added a 36-inch vertical, a 9-10 broad jump, and 36 bench reps. Ratelle has the athleticism to really contribute at the next level. His frame is full of muscle and he is getting looks at both linebacker and fullback. His hands were very good as he came out of his breaks and he added a superb one-handed catch in the linebacker positional drills. Ratelle was by far the stand-out among any of the small-school players who attended the pro day. His size will be the only obstacle, but his strength, speed, and instincts might be enough to land him a place in the NFL. Several scouts spoke with him after the workout and it appears he really did himself well at the pro day.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On March 28, 2016 at 9:14 PM, darell1976 said:

Must be one of those Bison fans who had a coma from 1993-2003.

I'm sorry Darell, maybe I was in a coma those 10 years. Did I miss a huge influx of UND players going to the NFL?

NDSU had 7 players on active NFL rosters at the end of last year. They could have 10 this year. When is the last time UND could say that? How far back do you have to go just to count the last 7 UND players that have been on active NFL rosters?

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/3/2016 at 8:24 AM, nd1sufan said:

I'm sorry Darell, maybe I was in a coma those 10 years. Did I miss a huge influx of UND players going to the NFL?

NDSU had 7 players on active NFL rosters at the end of last year. They could have 10 this year. When is the last time UND could say that? How far back do you have to go just to count the last 7 UND players that have been on active NFL rosters?

UND had 3 at the same time from 2006-2008, not bad from a school who's second sport is football compared to the 23 currently in the NHL (remember hockey is our #1 sport).  Mays and Dahl are free agents and haven't been picked up so currently 5 Bison players are on NFL rosters (as a Dolphins fan I hope Turner has a great year).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"players on active NFL rosters" I'd rather have two starters who are as good as anyone in the league at their positions like we had with Kuper and Kleinsasser. We have 0 right now obviously but that will change.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

"players on active NFL rosters" I'd rather have two starters who are as good as anyone in the league at their positions like we had with Kuper and Kleinsasser. We have 0 right now obviously but that will change.

Actually 5 of those 7 started at least 3 games last year, so most were more than "just on an active roster". You may be stretching it a little bit when you say Kuper and Kleinsasser were the best at their positions. They both had good runs, but I'm not sure they were Gronklike or Hutchinsonlike. Phil Hansen had just as good a run as either of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

Actually 5 of those 7 started at least 3 games last year, so most were more than "just on an active roster". You may be stretching it a little bit when you say Kuper and Kleinsasser were the best at their positions. They both had good runs, but I'm not sure they were Gronklike or Hutchinsonlike. Phil Hansen had just as good a run as either of them.

Kuper was the best guard in his division and Kleinsasser was the best non OL blocker in the league. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm willing to bet Kleinsasser's and Kuper's contracts were way more than all seven bison players combined. $$$$$$. That should tell you the quality of players. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a thread for discussion of UND fb alumni. Discussion of ndsu is welcome to continue at bisonvile. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed, I could give a !@#$ less about bison players in the NFL. 

I click on this thread because I hope there is an update about Ratelle. The Bucs worked him out last week which is great. Anyone hearing about interest from any other teams?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back on topic . . . it's hard to think that Will would NOT make a squad somewhere.  Outside of just his skills and strength, the fact

that he's got his head on straight should help his cause.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 77iceman said:

Back on topic . . . it's hard to think that Will would NOT make a squad somewhere.  Outside of just his skills and strength, the fact

that he's got his head on straight should help his cause.

Absolutely, he has the measurables. I suppose it comes down what team needs a utility guy like him (Fullback & special teams). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Just a reminder of how good Will Ratelle is. He certainly deserves a chance to make an NFL roster; he's got the ability. 

I'd love to see him play on the Dolphins as either a FB or a LB. He has got some nice speed and good tackling ability to do well on both sides of the ball. I hope to hear his name called at the end of the month by Roger Goodell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Just a reminder of how good Will Ratelle is. He certainly deserves a chance to make an NFL roster; he's got the ability. 

Will is a physical specimen!  Wish he could of been 4-5" taller as he would be a 2-3rd rounder.  He has all the numbers, minus the height, that the nfl scouts are looking for.  Best of luck to will!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

Will is a physical specimen!  Wish he could of been 4-5" taller as he would be a 2-3rd rounder.  He has all the numbers, minus the height, that the nfl scouts are looking for.  Best of luck to will!!!!

If he was 4-5" taller he wouldn't have played for us. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Hawk said:

If he was 4-5" taller he wouldn't have played for us. 

Really!?  Did he tell you that or are you presuming that since he is now a potential draft choice?   Let me know your insight please 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×