SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's athletic budget

UND92,96

We all know those numbers aren't apples to apples comparison. Take UND Hockey out of those numbers and UND is probably between USD and SDSU.

Athletic Budget isn't operating profit. UND could still be losing money every year while its possible USD has a small budget yet is turning a profit.

The comparison is never going to be apples to apples unless the schools have exactly the same sports. But comparing the size of departments and the capabilities of those departments is a valid comparison. Without hockey it looks like UND would be close to SDSU, but well above USD. UND usually makes a small profit in the athletic department (about $200,000 last year reported and probably wouldn't without hockey) and USD made about $3,000 in the last reported year. If you go to the link that was provided you can look up all of the information you want, although it is hard to break it down because for the most part the only sports that are seperated out are football and basketball. It looks like USD lost about $180,000 in that year for football and UND lost about $145,000.

We all know those numbers aren't apples to apples comparison. Take UND Hockey out of those numbers and UND is probably between USD and SDSU.

Athletic Budget isn't operating profit. UND could still be losing money every year while its possible USD has a small budget yet is turning a profit.

Do you have a link supporting your statement? It would be interesting to see the numbers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

OPE has UND's 2011 figures posted.... http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/

Expenses $17,388,512.00

Revenue: $17,512,522.00

$124,010.00 in the black. :)

Great site and info. I was somewhat surprised to see that UND, according to the report, actually makes money on football (although only about $20k). Also note that Montana's budget is about $1.7 million less than UND's total but they spend and earn twice as much on football, roughly $5 million, and spend about $500,000 more on basketball. It will be interesting to see where UND can go with football revenues once established in a solid conference like the Big Sky

First of all I doubt very much fb at UND makes money. Figure it out with the attendance you have and $75 season tickets to seat where you want. In accounting you can take from some accounts and plug others.

Although they say $75 for season tickets, you need to join the Fighting Sioux Club to get those tickets. I don't remember what the minimum contribution level is and I'm too lazy to go look it up again. But those $75 season tix are actually around $400-$500. I'm not sure if a portion of the Fighting Sioux Club money goes back to the football program or not. Either way, it's nice to see we are running in the black.

From the OPE report...

NDSU Football

Total expenses 3,332,907

Total revenue 3,332,907

NDSU Basketball

Total expenses 1,988,215

Total revenue 1,988,215

I now have a better understanding of Dan's extreme suspicion of institutional accounting.

That's easy. Any extra revenue gets funneled directly into the administrators' bank accounts. ;)

From the OPE report...

NDSU Football

Total expenses 3,332,907

Total revenue 3,332,907

NDSU Basketball

Total expenses 1,988,215

Total revenue 1,988,215

I now have a better understanding of Dan's extreme suspicion of institutional accounting.

FB at NDSU pays ALL the bills. Too bad they don't make all the schools account for their sports the same way.

From the OPE report...

NDSU Football

Total expenses 3,332,907

Total revenue 3,332,907

NDSU Basketball

Total expenses 1,988,215

Total revenue 1,988,215

That is just great forcasting. Not a penney over.

I think it would be interesting to see how the two primary programs compare to each other at UND and NDSU...I still think the UND Hockey team has the overall edge on revenue generation and size of budget, but I'm no forensic accountant either! :)

Keep in mind that UND's total athletic budget is really the following:

= UND Athletic Budget + REA Budget - (amount reimbursed by REA to UND athletics).

Not sure know much the REA Budget is, but all the hockey (as well as basketball, volleyball, women's hockey) ticket sales go through the REA.

Just for men's hockey, the ticket sales are 220,000 x $25 avg = $5.5 million. Most of that money is not returned to UND athletics, but pays to run the REA.

All of the Fighting Sioux Club budget directly affects the bottom line.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...