SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's next Athletic Director

so.cal.sioux

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again, a committee of who...? make a decision to not accept a application of the best possible canidate for the job........absolutely unbelievable!

http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/i...mp;section=News

A canidate by the way that the Coaches and Community would have highly endorsed and followed into Division 1 with overwhelming support.

Here is the committee of who is working on the AD search.

Administration/Faculty/Staff

* Dr. Greg Weisenstein, UND Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, Committee Chair

* Dr. Sue Jeno, Faculty Athletic Representative

* Dr. Jon Jackson, Faculty

Athletic Department Staff

* Betty Ralston, Co-acting UND Athletic Director and Senior Women's Administrator

* Jayson Hadju, Assistant Director of Media Relations, UND Athletics

Students

* Christy Carlson

Student-Athletes

* Amanda Kaler, UND Golf Team

Athletic Department/Men's Sports

* Brian Jones, Head Coach, UND Men's Basketball

Athletic Department/Women's Sports

* Dick Clay, Head Coach, UND Women's Track

Institution/Budget/Finance

* Alice Brekke, Director, UND Budget Office

Human Resources

* Diane Nelson, Director, UND Human Resources

Alumni Association and Foundation

* Steve Brekke, Director of Development, Athletics, Co-Acting Athletic Director

Ralph Engelstad Arena

* Jody Hodgson, General Manager

Letterwinners/Athletic Alumni

* Dan Martinsen, UND Letterwinners, UND Athletic Alumni, Special Assistant to the UND President

Boosters/Public Input

* Pete Kuhn, President, UND Boosters

* Hal Gershman, Businessman, Grand Forks City Council

* Wes Rydell, Businessman

I would like to have you point out all of the people on this list that are not going to do what is in the best interest of the University of North Dakota. Maybe one of the Sioux Award winners on the committee? Or one of the current/former Sioux players or coaches? If someone wanted to apply for the job they should have done so in a timely manner. It wasn't like they were doing this in secret, everyone knew that they were getting to the end of the process. So if the committee decided to reject a "Letter of Interest" at a point when they have brought finalists in for in-person interviews, I am fine with that.

Here is the committee of who is working on the AD search.

Administration/Faculty/Staff

* Dr. Greg Weisenstein, UND Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, Committee Chair

* Dr. Sue Jeno, Faculty Athletic Representative

* Dr. Jon Jackson, Faculty

Athletic Department Staff

* Betty Ralston, Co-acting UND Athletic Director and Senior Women's Administrator

* Jayson Hadju, Assistant Director of Media Relations, UND Athletics

Students

* Christy Carlson

Student-Athletes

* Amanda Kaler, UND Golf Team

Athletic Department/Men's Sports

* Brian Jones, Head Coach, UND Men's Basketball

Athletic Department/Women's Sports

* Dick Clay, Head Coach, UND Women's Track

Institution/Budget/Finance

* Alice Brekke, Director, UND Budget Office

Human Resources

* Diane Nelson, Director, UND Human Resources

Alumni Association and Foundation

* Steve Brekke, Director of Development, Athletics, Co-Acting Athletic Director

Ralph Engelstad Arena

* Jody Hodgson, General Manager

Letterwinners/Athletic Alumni

* Dan Martinsen, UND Letterwinners, UND Athletic Alumni, Special Assistant to the UND President

Boosters/Public Input

* Pete Kuhn, President, UND Boosters

* Hal Gershman, Businessman, Grand Forks City Council

* Wes Rydell, Businessman

I would like to have you point out all of the people on this list that are not going to do what is in the best interest of the University of North Dakota. Maybe one of the Sioux Award winners on the committee? Or one of the current/former Sioux players or coaches? If someone wanted to apply for the job they should have done so in a timely manner. It wasn't like they were doing this in secret, everyone knew that they were getting to the end of the process. So if the committee decided to reject a "Letter of Interest" at a point when they have brought finalists in for in-person interviews, I am fine with that.

If this was simply a matter of one person-one vote, I suspect it was a very close vote with regard to whether to allow another applicant. It would be very interesting to know exactly how close. I would venture a guess that at least seven people on the above list voted "yes".

How exactly is this going to work?

The names of Brian Faison and Tim Hickman will be forwarded to UND President Charles Kupchella, UND vice president for general administration Phil Harmeson and incoming UND President Robert Kelley.

link

Who ultimately makes the final decision? IMO, the decision should be Kelley's, and Kelley's alone.

I think it also should be kelleys alone too. I also think more head coaches should have been apart of this. I would of loved to see Hakstol involved a little bit too sine hocky is the money maker here. Cuz it was mostly the coaches that didnt like bunning.

Kelley will have input and approval of the new AD, but he won't have the lone voice.

I don't believe there was ever an established timeline.

I suppose as a practical matter, whether "officially" or not, the decision will probably be Kelley's. I just can't imagine Kupchella cares enough about it to become overly involved, and unless Harmeson thinks he's getting the Valley City presidency, he probably isn't going to want to do anything to irritate his soon-to-be-new boss.

There was plenty of time for anyone to submit an application that wanted to.

Exactly. If someone wanted to apply, they knew when they needed to get an app in by. Heck, this letter could have been sent earlier if the interest was serious. Without knowing details, it would appear to be a case of trying to sidestep the committee while putting in a "cherry picked" candidate. I think the secrecy surrounding the athletic department at UND is getting old and I for one am glad they did not accept this mystery applicant, even though I likely would support him/her in other circumstances

link

But the committee clearly was not on the same page concerning a motion to allow additional candidates. On a 7-5 vote, the committee rejected a request to consider other candidates.

Weisenstein said he recently received a letter of interest from a potential candidate who he did not identify.

Kelley is not currently serving as the President of UND, is he? Therefore, it only makes sense that, procedurally, Kupchella and whoever are involved. They are currently on the payroll. If they were to hire someone without Kelley's approval, don't you think he'd make a deal about that?

I'm not worried.

The integrity of the search? Who cares? How about the integrity of the Athletic Department and the office of the Athletic Director? The shelf life of the AD is a lot longer and way more important. If you get the best candidate, who cares how it happens?

With all due respect to the selection committee, there are some people on there who are in way over their head on this one.

UND and the North Dakota system needs to change their hiring guidelines. They are obviously too archaic for present day college athletics. Look at Indiana and their basketball search. They went out and hired the best guy. No red tape, no 1 month application period. Just a "get it done" mentality. Why handcuff yourself with all of this political red tape BS that exists in the North Dakota system.

Integrity of the search. Give me a break.

The integrity of the search? Who cares? How about the integrity of the Athletic Department and the office of the Athletic Director? The shelf life of the AD is a lot longer and way more important. If you get the best candidate, who cares how it happens?

With all due respect to the selection committee, there are some people on there who are in way over their head on this one.

UND and the North Dakota system needs to change their hiring guidelines. They are obviously too archaic for present day college athletics. Look at Indiana and their basketball search. They went out and hired the best guy. No red tape, no 1 month application period. Just a "get it done" mentality. Why handcuff yourself with all of this political red tape BS that exists in the North Dakota system.

Integrity of the search. Give me a break.

Exactly. I really don't care for North Dakota law as it pertains to the hiring of public employees. It really discourages a lot of very qualified people from applying. I believe there's such a thing as too much openness, and North Dakota law is a perfect example of it. Thank you, Jack McDonald. :lol:

Here is my take on situation. The ND hiring laws invite people to apply late in the process to protect thier confidentiality. What I have a hard time with is the position was advertised as open until filled (no deadline) so therefore should still be open. If still "open" every application that comes in should be reviewed (as required by law). If there was a deadline then no additional applications should be reviewed until the search is reopened if deemed necessary by the committee.

It seems that the committee has forgotten the meaning of open until filled. It wouldn't sacrifce the integrity of the search to do something that is advertised as allowed in the position announcement. Below is the position annoucement found on the UND website.

http://aldenandassoc.com/what/executive/pd...nnouncement.pdf

Here is my take on situation. The ND hiring laws invite people to apply late in the process to protect thier confidentiality. What I have a hard time with is the position was advertised as open until filled (no deadline) so therefore should still be open. If still "open" every application that comes in should be reviewed (as required by law). If there was a deadline then no additional applications should be reviewed until the search is reopened if deemed necessary by the committee.

It seems that the committee has forgotten the meaning of open until filled. It wouldn't sacrifce the integrity of the search to do something that is advertised as allowed in the position announcement. Below is the position annoucement found on the UND website.

http://aldenandassoc.com/what/executive/pd...nnouncement.pdf

Very good points. And lest we forget, Tom Buning applied very late in the process the last time around. A little consistency would be nice (I realize the committees have/had different makeups, but still...).

I tend to favor an outside applicant. Having said that, it kind of bothers me that they cited a hard deadline as the reason not to accept this person's application. Today was the first time I'd seen anywhere that there was a hard deadline for applications. If there was a hard deadline that I didn't know about, and this guy missed it, then I have no sympathy for him or anyone that supports him. But I don't think a hard deadline was ever established. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

On the other hand, what took him so long to express interest? I presume he wrote a "letter of interest" instead of formally applying to get around North Dakota's (way too) open records laws. But why did he do it so late? It just seems odd.

I don't think this has been brought up yet, but if the vote was 7-5, and even excluding chairperson Weisenstein (who probably didn't have a vote), that leaves a total committee membership of 16, so that means four people were absent/didn't vote. Were they not even available by phone? :lol:

I don't think this has been brought up yet, but if the vote was 7-5, and even excluding chairperson Weisenstein (who probably didn't have a vote), that leaves a total committee membership of 16, so that means four people were absent/didn't vote. Were they not even available by phone? :lol:

Maybe they are following the lead of Kupchella and were "out of the country" and "unavailable for comment".

To open the interview process up to this "person of interest" will not only bolster the candidate pool and further ensure that we get the very best guy for the job, but it will give further credibility to the person who is ultimately hired. Now one of the two people, that were recommended by the search committee, will be hired for the job and immediately face an uphill battle because they will be the AD that "only got the job because they didn't let the 'person of interest' apply."

The more I think about it the more I get frustrated. The most important hire in UND Athletics history and they are denying qualified people an interview because of the integrity of the search. In my mind, the integrity of the search took a hit because you DIDN'T let this person interview.

Alumni, boosters, coaches, etc need to be ringing Dr. Kelley's phone off the hook today to get him to reconsider.