SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's next Athletic Director

so.cal.sioux

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

North Dakota open records victim or miscommunication with search firm? 'Stunned' Teter isn't a candidate for job

I'd guess the "misunderstanding" was that he didn't know his application would be made public.

This was discussed with the search for President, but I think the open records laws should be changed to shield early-round applications to certain high-profile jobs. The State's interest in having as many qualified people as possible applying for these jobs outweighs the public's interest in knowing who is applying, at least at the earliest stage of the process.

Apparently the field has been narrowed down to seven "semi-finalists" (according to WDAZ news). Unfortunately, Milo didn't tell us who they are (will apparently be on the 6:00 news, though). For whatever reason, it's not been posted on fightingsioux.com or the Herald site. :D

EDIT: There was a story on the 6:00 news, but WDAZ isn't going to actually name the seven until the 10:00 news. :D

Search committee picks seven with potential

Barbara Burke, for instance, was the candidate who received the highest ranking by committee members Thursday, but she also is interviewing for an open AD position at Eastern Illinois University in Charleston. Ralston, who worked at Eastern Illinois for many years, said she has heard Burke is a strong contender for that position.

Burke currently is deputy athletic director at the University of Wyoming.

Other AD candidates are:

-- Tim Hickman, associate athletic director at the University of Missouri.

-- Tim Leonard, associate athletic director at the University of Central Florida.

-- Tom Sadler, president of Encore Facility Management and Global Entertainment Marketing Systems.

-- Brian Faison, special assistant to the president at New Mexico State.

-- Jay Hinrichs, athletic director at Northern Colorado.

-- Paul Schlickmann, executive associate athletic director at Stony Brook University in New York.

Doing a quick read on some of the candidates, I would put Burke and Schlickmann on the top of the list. BTW, Schlickmann is a lacrosse kind of guy.

Edited by GeauxSioux

I know most of this info has already been posted througout this thread, but I just thought I'd put all the bios/articles I could find on the 7 finalists in one place.

Barbara Burke--University of Wyoming (Bio at end of article)

Tim Hickman--University of Missouri

Tim Leonard--University of Central Florida

Tom Sadler--Global Entertainment Website

Brian Faison--New Mexico State

Jay Hinrichs--University of Northern Colorado

Paul Schlickmann--Stony Brook

I know most of this info has already been posted througout this thread, but I just thought I'd put all the bios/articles I could find on the 7 finalists in one place.

Barbara Burke--University of Wyoming

Tim Hickman--University of Missouri

Tim Leonard--University of Central Florida

Tom Sadler--Global Entertainment Website

Brian Faison--New Mexico State

Jay Hinrichs--University of Northern Colorado

Paul Schlickmann--Stony Brook

Faison has 12 years of a.d. experience between two dI schools (Indiana State and New Mexico State).

Anyone know any any info on Sadler? I can't really find much other than a few different articles he was quoted in.

Just quick glance over the available info for the candidates, and I like Burke the best, follwed by Hickman and Schlickman.

Does anyone else find Faison's interest in the job a bit curious? Years of experience as a DI A.D., recently promoted from his last AD position at a I-A school, and has interest in leaving sunny New Mexico for frigid North Dakota to head up a homeless and transtioning athletic deptment.

Does anyone else find Faison's interest in the job a bit curious?

Yes and no.

Yes, because he's in a better titled job at NMSU. No, if he's looking to get back to "hands on day to day" operations. I guess I'd need some background on why he was moved upstairs.

But he'd have nice connections to western FCS (DI-A) conferences, as would Burke.

Question: If Burke was AD, would a "senior womens administrator" titled position be required by the NCAA?

Yes and no.

Yes, because he's in a better titled job at NMSU. No, if he's looking to get back to "hands on day to day" operations. I guess I'd need some background on why he was moved upstairs.

But he'd have nice connections to western FCS (DI-A) conferences, as would Burke.

Question: If Burke was AD, would a "senior womens administrator" titled position be required by the NCAA?

My gut says no, but I don't have solid facts to back it up. The NCAA definition of a SWA is: "The highest-ranking female administrator involved with the conduct of a member institution

The stabbing and the football team being horrible notwithstanding, what has the AD at UNC done that's been so bad as to not warrant his finalist spot?

An outside observer sure wouldn't look at Northern Colorado's athletic programs and use the word successful to describe them right now. That's my opinion, anyway.

Didn't Kevin Fee say that Ray Purpur was going to apply? Must have been wrong on that. I can't see him not making the cut, had he applied.

my "gut" tells me this isn't over yet. ray purpur is not out of the question, IMO. i guess we will see in the coming days. :D

There certainly are no shortage off theories/rumors out there regarding Purpur's would-be candidacy. I also am still holding out some hope that he may apply at the last minute.

How bad does our deal look when the guy at Northern Colorado thinks his is a better job?

Living close to Greeley, trust me on this. We don't want him. UNC's Athletic Department is a joke.

The only good thing that has happened there is their affiliation with the Big Sky Conference. The only reason it happened is because of the ease of travel through Denver.