SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's next Athletic Director

so.cal.sioux

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hickman looks interesting.....

Having a legit D1 program 90+ miles from the closest major metro creates issues in regards to revenue and recruiting. Mizzou's ability to pull in revenue AND fill their respective venues speaks for itself.

We've lived in MO for 5 years, and it's amazing how much revenue the Tigers can pull in from their alumni.

Compared to some of the earlier candidates, this final group looks strong. With Wyoming's Kelley in as President, can't believe Barbara Burke would consider it if she didn't believe she had a strong chance. Also, UCF's Leonard seeminglly accomplished a lot with the new football and basketball complexes: his experience at Boise State has to be considered a plus :blush: . Stony Brook's Schlickmann also seems to have strong credentials going back to his Yale days. SUNY-Stony Brook had some rough sailing in their early days of the DI transition Stony Brook's Athletics: Moving On , which seems to have been righted after Schlickmann moved over from Yale. Tom Sadler as well as a number of other candidates appear to have a lot of experience running larger venues like the Ralph and the Alerus.

At least four of the candidates could be considering UND as a stop for a higher level AD position (which is not necessarily negative): UND would likely be Faison's last stop and possibly Burke's.

UND sprints to the finish line

Less than two weeks ago, a search committee picked seven candidates for the post and Tuesday, committee members conducted their first phone interview - with Barbara Burke, deputy athletic director at the University of Wyoming.

Today, the group plans to conduct phone interviews with five other candidates (one candidate withdrew after being named to the list). Sometime this evening they may announce between three and five candidates who will be invited to UND for two days each of on-campus interviews with coaches, administrators, student athletes and others.

It sounds like there are more personnel changes coming to the athletic department. I don't think I can say any more than this, but I would assume there will be more announced soon.

It was reported on the WDAZ news tonight that Don Kojich has taken a job at a school in Illinois (don't recall which one), which presumably means that Betty Ralston will be leaving, as well.

IMO, here would be an excellent candidate to be the next SWA.

It was reported on the WDAZ news tonight that Don Kojich has taken a job at a school in Illinois (don't recall which one), which presumably means that Betty Ralston will be leaving, as well.

IMO, here would be an excellent candidate to be the next SWA.

If Burke is hired as AD, I don't believe that UND would need a SWA.

Kojich to leave UND for Illinois job

UND co-acting athletic director Betty Ralston, Kojich's wife, will stay at UND to help in the process of finding a new athletic director and ensure the transition to a new athletic director goes smoothly. Kojich said Ralston has not accepted a new job and has not applied at the University of Illinois.

"At some point, she will obviously join me in Illinois," Kojich said. "But she still has some unfinished business here to attend to."

So you've invited Burke (who has been at Wyoming, UTEP and Marshall), Hickman (who has been at Missouri), Leonard (who has been at Illinois State, Boise State and Central Florida), Sadler (who has been at Hawaii) and Faison (who has been at New Mexico State, Indiana State, Louisville, Illinois State and Missouri).

Or are there more?

So you've invited Burke (who has been at Wyoming, UTEP and Marshall), Hickman (who has been at Missouri), Leonard (who has been at Illinois State, Boise State and Central Florida), Sadler (who has been at Hawaii) and Faison (who has been at New Mexico State, Indiana State, Louisville, Illinois State and Missouri).

Or are there more?

Not as far as I know. But as we saw the last time around, there's always the chance somebody else can emerge at the last minute.

On the 10:00 WDAZ news last night, it was reported that the committee has decided to invite all remaining candidates except Schlickmann for on-campus interviews. This was not in the Herald today for whatever reason.

Interesting, I would have thought Schlickmann would have been one of the stronger candidates.

• 2 weeks later...
On the 10:00 WDAZ news last night, it was reported that the committee has decided to invite all remaining candidates except Schlickmann for on-campus interviews. This was not in the Herald today for whatever reason.

Maybe because the paper was printed before midnight and this was not released until during the day?

Maybe because the paper was printed before midnight and this was not released until during the day?

It's a moot point now, but I believe the meeting at which this info came out occurred either late afternoon or early in the evening. WDAZ had footage of the meeting, and it wasn't a live feed. Plus, the Herald routinely has stories about events that ended later than this meeting apparently did, e.g. Sioux hockey or basketball games. I wasn't trying to be nit-picky--I just thought at the time that it was a little surprising that the story didn't make its way into the Herald the next day.

Sadler is the latest candidate to interview for UND AD

Sadler was on the UND campus Monday for his official interview. He is the second candidate to interview for the position, which opened when Tom Buning resigned last fall.

UND is expected to interview five candidates. Sadler is the only one of the five who currently is not associated with a university athletic department.

However, Sadler has extensive experience working in college athletics.

He spent 18 years at Arizona State, where he was the senior athletic administrator. At ASU, Sadler annually managed 250 events, including 16 Fiesta Bowls.

He also worked on Arizona State