SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's next Athletic Director

so.cal.sioux

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be very surprised if Ray Purpur applies for the AD job. He has a great gig at Stanford and would be a strong candidate to be the next AD there when the current AD leaves. Stanford is the only school in the NCAA that has ALL of it's scholarships fully funded by endowments. Certainly a MAJOR advantage when your athletic dept doesn't have to spend a nickel on tuition.

I would love to be wrong on this topic but don't be shocked if he doesn't apply. Not everyone wants to come back to Grand Forks just because they are from there. If you ask me, I would rather be a senior associate at a PAC 10 school than an AD at a lower level D-I school. No offense to UND but it is simply a better gig, in my opinion.

I would love to be wrong on this topic but don't be shocked if he doesn't apply. Not everyone wants to come back to Grand Forks just because they are from there. If you ask me, I would rather be a senior associate at a PAC 10 school than an AD at a lower level D-I school. No offense to UND but it is simply a better gig, in my opinion.

I don't think anyone's going to be shocked if he doesn't apply, but evidently one person may disagree with the bolded part of your post--Mark Massari, senior associate AD at Oregon State (already applied).

I don't think anyone's going to be shocked if he doesn't apply, but evidently one person may disagree with the bolded part of your post--Mark Massari, senior associate AD at Oregon State (already applied).

Maybe he would not agree but that still doesn't change the fact that his current job is a better position, in principal. Perhaps there are some internal problems that he would like to escape at Oregon State. Maybe he has a tie to the area. Maybe he is bluffing on the application to get a raise at Oregon State to keep him there.

My point is when you line the two job descriptions up and compare the two, Oregon State/Stanford is the better position.

Maybe he would not agree but that still doesn't change the fact that his current job is a better position, in principal. Perhaps there are some internal problems that he would like to escape at Oregon State. Maybe he has a tie to the area. Maybe he is bluffing on the application to get a raise at Oregon State to keep him there.

My point is when you line the two job descriptions up and compare the two, Oregon State/Stanford is the better position.

That may depend on career goals and the situation at individual schools. Most schools would prefer to hire an AD with experience as an AD if possible. Being an Associate AD may not be enough to get the job if they are competing against someone with experience running the whole show. That's why a lot of people start at a lower level and work their way up, just like coaching.

Another factor may be personal preference. I've lived on the West Coast and in the Midwest. If I had a choice I would choose the Midwest (which I did).

One of the applicants is on the UND staff. Mike Schepp, the school's assistant athletic director for operations, has applied.

I believe that moves us up one notch on the "Ron White Homeland Security Advisory Scale" from "Get a Helmet" to "Put It On."

I wonder if he knows that scheduling will be a part of his job description. :silly::huh:

Somebody's got to help me with these posts. :lol:

I had no idea either, so I did a little digging on the board and it seems he got one of his degrees from NDSU. That seems to explain the comments.

Waaaaaaaaayyyy too obscure a reference for an old hippie like me. Is there a way I can be pm'd when somethng like this takes place in the future? It would greatly enhance my whole SiouxSports experience. :silly:

North Dakota open records victim or miscommunication with search firm? 'Stunned' Teter isn't a candidate for job

Teter, who has been at A&M-Corpus Christi less than two years, said he did not personally apply. Teter blamed the application on his behalf on a misunderstanding with a search firm. He did not want to go into details about the miscommunication until he had cleared up matters with the search firm.

The Committee Chair for the AD Search Committee is a finalist for president at the SD School of Mines.

The finalists are: Lee Cheatham, Kenmore, Wash., executive director, Washington Technology Center; T. Dwayne McCay, Melbourne, Fla., provost and executive vice president, Florida Institute of Technology; Greg R. Weisenstein, Grand Forks, N.D., provost and vice president for academic affairs, University of North Dakota; Robert A. Wharton, Pocatello, Idaho, provost and vice president for academic affairs, Idaho State University, and David M. Woodall, Klamath Falls, Ore., interim president, Oregon Institute of Technology.

Five finalists in running for School of Mines president