SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's next Athletic Director

so.cal.sioux

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UW's Burke will take Eastern Illinois Job

University of Wyoming Deputy Director of Athletics Barbara Burke has emerged as a finalist to take over as athletics director at Eastern Illinois University.

Burke, who has been at UW since March 1998, is one of five candidates who has interviewed for the Eastern Illinois job. Burke had an on-site interview with EIU officials on Feb. 11.

I believe we can now safely count out Mr. Purpur. Rob Bollinger, however, may yet apply? link

We must ask him to apply and ask President select Kelly to meet with him. I will stake whatever I have that if were would be fortunate to hire Rob as the next AD, we will be thankful for years to come. I think he would do an outstanding job just ike everything else he has worked at. He is loyal, bright has been a coach and was the main force in establishing the Fighting Sioux club. He is liked and respected by the hockey coaches, FB, BB as well as non-revenue sport coaches. I think more than anyone he will lead the athletic department into the Division 1 transition with class and success. I think he will be a credit to UND and enhance the reputaion of UND both athletically and academically.

Naturally, Dan wants UND to get an AD who has experience with the rivalry in the hopes it will postpone future NDSU/UND games for as long as possible.

When the time comes for NDSU to get a new president or AD, no doubt they should bring someone in from the outside who can present fresh ideas.

Ok, I must admit I was wrong. My 'gut' is in some serious pain right now :D Kudos to those who were 'in the know'.

It would be really cool however if Bollinger put his name in the ring. I think he would be great.

Did I miss something? Why can we safely count out Purpur now?

I agree, Rob would be awesome. Purpur would be great as well, and bring a lot more experience.

Did I miss something? Why can we safely count out Purpur now?

I agree, Rob would be awesome. Purpur would be great as well, and bring a lot more experience.

Strictly rumors, but while there may have been some legitimate interest by Purpur at one time, it appears he chose not to seriously pursue the job.

Me too. No offense to RB, but this guy sounds ten times more qualified based on past experience.

Seriously Shawn-O? The guy is saying what he needs to say to get the job, and more power to him. To say he is "ten times more qualified" than Rob is ridiculous in my opinion. Rob is the most qualified guy if he decides to apply.

"No Offense"

Me too. No offense to RB, but this guy sounds ten times more qualified based on past experience.

There is a difference from quailifications on a resume' vs being quailified for the position.....imo

The one person who can tie all together in terms of Coaches, Staff, Students, Alumni, Community, is the guy who has lived it and earned the respect of all those affore mention groups. The decision makers (administration) just need to give him the oppurtunity. IMO...That man has always been Rob Bollinger, I do hope he will consider and apply.

Everyone else may have quailifications, but fall way short in relationships with the University of North Dakota when compared with Mr. Bollinger

Seriously Shawn-O? The guy is saying what he needs to say to get the job, and more power to him. To say he is "ten times more qualified" than Rob is ridiculous in my opinion. Rob is the most qualified guy if he decides to apply.

"No Offense"

Sounds like the guy's been through a DI transition and a major facilities expansion.

Oh that's right, outsiders are evil. I forgot.

Bollinger was preaching "think big" years ago. Don't be fooled by a resume. Buning had a good one and it didnt' work out. You look at someone based on their resume but you hire them because they are the right fit and the right person for the job. If there is anyone better for this job right now than Rob Bollinger I would be surprised, but if there is, that is who they should hire. It sure isn't anything on a resume. The resume gets you the interview. Hopefully, this time the right person will get the job.

Bollinger was preaching "think big" years ago. Don't be fooled by a resume. Buning had a good one and it didnt' work out. You look at someone based on their resume but you hire them because they are the right fit and the right person for the job. If there is anyone better for this job right now than Rob Bollinger I would be surprised, but if there is, that is who they should hire. It sure isn't anything on a resume. The resume gets you the interview. Hopefully, this time the right person will get the job.

"Ten times more qualified" was meant to incite and spur discussion, I'll confess. But why didn't Kupchella pull the trigger with Rob last time around? I don't know him near on the level that many of you here do, I've had the pleasure to meet him briefly on a couple of occasions, and he seems great. But it's a legitimate question. And yes, I'm well aware of the place for resumes....they are a means to eliminate candidates, not hire them.

As I have said before, UND needs to hire the best candidate whether they are from UND or somewhere else. As of right now, RB is not a candidate. I don't think that he has much time to put his name in if he wants to be a candidate. The search committee seems to think they have some quality people to choose from. I believe that they will meet next week and make some recommendations. The people that they recommend next week will be interviewed by the decision maker(s) shortly after that. We will probably know the name of the next AD by the middle of April.

This is too important of a juncture in UND's move to DI to stick with the old "hire from within" routine.

Outsiders bring fresh ideas and fresh perspectives.

UND needs to hire from outside on this one, like they did with the president.

The old "hire from within" routine? When was the last time UND employed that strategy with an administrative position? Lets see..........Tom Buning (great resume, fund raising and D1 experience), Charles Kupchella, Robert Kelley - all "outsiders". I think Kelley will be good and I am ok with that hiring. However, I think UND as a university is in the predicament they are currently in because of the past practices of hiring "fresh ideas and fresh perspectives". See the Buning, Ralston and Kupchella hirings for that instance.