SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's next Athletic Director

so.cal.sioux

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To open the interview process up to this "person of interest" will not only bolster the candidate pool and further ensure that we get the very best guy for the job, but it will give further credibility to the person who is ultimately hired. Now one of the two people, that were recommended by the search committee, will be hired for the job and immediately face an uphill battle because they will be the AD that "only got the job because they didn't let the 'person of interest' apply."

The more I think about it the more I get frustrated. The most important hire in UND Athletics history and they are denying qualified people an interview because of the integrity of the search. In my mind, the integrity of the search took a hit because you DIDN'T let this person interview.

Alumni, boosters, coaches, etc need to be ringing Dr. Kelley's phone off the hook today to get him to reconsider.

Does anyone have Kelly's email, phone or fax numbers?

Does anyone have Kelly's email, phone or fax numbers?

Name: Robert Otis Kelley

Title: Dean/Professor

Department: College of Health Sciences

Office: Health Sciences Ctr 235

Email: rokelley@uwyo.edu

Phone: (307) 766-6556

On the other hand, what took him so long to express interest? But why did he do it so late?

That's my question too.

If he's best qualified, why not apply first and scare the rest off from applying?

Letting someone jump into just the final round seems unfair to the others who applied at the start. But if the posting says "until filled" then letting them apply and be reviewed and making a "pass to Kelley or not" decision like the others seems appropriate also.

I believe there is a person of interest who would make an outstanding AD and has all of the necessary experience and qualifications. The reason someone may be reluctant to go through this scam of a process has more to do with how some on this committee treated one of the applicants last time. One of the applicants was told that his experience at UND. Becasue his work experience was mostly at UND, it basically ended his application process. This applicant of interest probably is concerned that if these committee people would treat a loyal and talented UND applicant like that, what would they do to an outsider. Most outside applicants who have good jobs don't wish to subject themselves to this type of low class mistreatment by the power hungry "jock sniffer types" who are trying to enact the revenge of the nerds by their role on these committees.

If Rob Bollinger is the "person of interset" Rob Bollinger has excelled at every job he has held and is a proven fund raiser and team builder. His role in rebuilding the UND football team to a national power was huge. He is the man responsible for building the Fighting Sioux Club into what it is today. He is respected and liked by virtually every person who has met him. He has contacts in the college and professional athletic circles from his years of coaching, his years as Director of the Fighting Sioux Club and in his tenure as an asst. AD at UND. He thinks outside the box and has a great vision for the possibilites of what not only UND athletics could be but how UND athletics can enhance the status of the University of North Dakota.

He is loyal to a fault and will back the decisions made by his President. He will fight to improve the budgets of his coaches and will actrively assist The Fighting Sioux Club and the Alumni office in fund raising. He will have the back of the president and his coaches. He will be a great supporter of all UND athletics including Women's atheltics and the non revenue sports.

He is the type of guy you would go into combat with, want at your side in a dark alley and be the god parent to your kids.

If there s a better candidate, I would like to meet them and that is who should be hired. If this committee has not sought his application or won't accept it, then those who oppose that whould not be working at UND.

Had Rob Bollinger been our AD last week I would bet anything, Rob would have found the funds to get the band to Madison. He understands how those are no longer the "little things" that are improtant in our move to D1 Athletics.

Very well put.

I ran into Rob at my dad's funeral. I was impressed that he took the time from his busy schedule in Bemidji to come to the funeral in GF. He had nothing but nice things to say about my dad and just generally made me feel better on one of the saddest days of my life and yes my eyes are watering as I'm typing this. :lol:

Wherever the man goes and whatever he does, he is a winner.

Very well put.

I ran into Rob at my dad's funeral. I was impressed that he took the time from his busy schedule in Bemidji to come to the funeral in GF. He had nothing but nice things to say about my dad and just generally made me feel better on one of the saddest days of my life and yes my eyes are watering as I'm typing this. :lol:

Wherever the man goes and whatever he does, he is a winner.

Who is going to bat for these other two guys that were forwarded on? It seems to me that the vast majority think that Rob should be our next AD, so why are the seven people that voted not to accept Robs application getting to decide for all of us, and I see that Harmeson is still making decisions. No one can stand Phildo!!! But yet he has a vote in the biggest move in the history of UND athletics, and basically all he is a a jock sniffer. Lets keep emailing Dr. Kelley!!!!!!!

Who is going to bat for these other two guys that were forwarded on? It seems to me that the vast majority think that Rob should be our next AD, so why are the seven people that voted not to accept Robs application getting to decide for all of us, and I see that Harmeson is still making decisions. No one can stand Phildo!!! But yet he has a vote in the biggest move in the history of UND athletics, and basically all he is a a jock sniffer. Lets keep emailing Dr. Kelley!!!!!!!

Phil isn't on the committee. Look at the others who are. I believe the biggest problem now is Ralston and I believe she has lobbied to close the applications. I have been given pretty good info that Phil is not opposed to Rob this time but either way he isn't on this committee. Her time to move on is long past. She was a pain to Coach Lennon and his staff and should not be part of the UND family. No matter how this turns out I will lobby the new AD to get rid or her and President select Kelley to get rid of her. She seems to be devisive and does not show she has the best interest of UND nor UND atheltics at heart. The committee chair also should be helsd accountable.

Phil isn't on the committee. Look at the others who are. I believe the biggest problem now is Ralston and I believe she has lobbied to close the applications. I have been given pretty good info that Phil is not opposed to Rob this time but either way he isn't on this committee. Her time to move on is long past. She was a pain to Coach Lennon and his staff and should not be part of the UND family. No matter how this turns out I will lobby the new AD to get rid or her and President select Kelley to get rid of her. She seems to be devisive and does not show she has the best interest of UND nor UND atheltics at heart. The committee chair also should be helsd accountable.

I know Phil isn't on the committee but the herald said that the committee was forwarding the two finalists to Kupachella, Phildo, and Dr. Kelley

If it's true that Phil is now more or less in Rob's corner (if Rob is the mystery proposed candidate), it seems to me that he could do something here that would more than undo all the negative p.r. he got from many Sioux fans due to the Buning hire, and the whole leave of absence fiasco (whether it was actually any fault of Phil's or not). Unless I'm completely missing something here, the committee's work is now done, and Kelley, along with Harmeson and Kupchella, can now do whatever they want. I see no reason why that can't include interviewing someone else if they deem that to be in the best interests of the UND athletic department.

Without this seeming like too much of a personal question--and I have no interest in their personal lives--I had thought that Ralston's departure was imminent once her husband Don Kojich took the job in Illinois. Is she on the way out at UND...or not?

It is being assumed that the "letter of interest" came from Bollinger. Some in this forum may have insider info and know it to be true, but what if it is someone else. Wanless was just up for the same job at Eastern Illinois that Burke got and was passed over. He stated that he wanted to get closer to his family in Mpls and Kentucky, I believe. He certainly wouldn't want it known at Sac State that he was still looking for another AD job, so a "letter of interest" from him would make sense. :lol: Well, maybe. :lol:

It is being assumed that the "letter of interest" came from Bollinger. Some in this forum may have insider info and know it to be true, but what if it is someone else. Wanless was just up for the same job at Eastern Illinois that Burke got and was passed over. He stated that he wanted to get closer to his family in Mpls and Kentucky, I believe. He certainly wouldn't want it known at Sac State that he was still looking for another AD job, so a "letter of interest" from him would make sense. :lol: Well, maybe. :lol:

Get Serious GeauxSioux!!!! Its Rob!!! Everyone knows it.

Without this seeming like too much of a personal question--and I have no interest in their personal lives--I had thought that Ralston's departure was imminent once her husband Don Kojich took the job in Illinois. Is she on the way out at UND...or not?

Without getting into personal lives or speculating as to anything that hasn't made it into newsprint, at the time he said she was sticking around through the AD transition but would "obviously join him later".

Without getting into personal lives or speculating as to anything that hasn't made it into newsprint, at the time he said she was sticking around through the AD transition but would "obviously join him later".

That was my recollection, as well. I just wasn't sure after reading iramurphy's post whether perhaps something had changed and she was now planning on staying. I'm not interested from the standpoint of their personal lives--merely from the standpoint of whether or not a new SWA will soon be needed. Also, from the standpoint of whether or not it's worth it to dwell too much on her alleged missteps if she's soon going to be gone, anyway.

There certainly doesn't appear to be any shortage of lame ducks and/or those actively seeking other employment amongst those who have been involved in this process, does there? :lol:

It looks to me that the committee has made it clear: Bollinger missed his chance and will not be considered for the job.

That was how I read the article in the paper as well. If he was interested why didn't he apply earlier?

He seems like a logical choice...

That was how I read the article in the paper as well. If he was interested why didn't he apply earlier?

He seems like a logical choice...

Read post #331. People are free to agree or disagree with a person's decision to not simply apply a few months ago, but there are some valid reasons IMO for not doing so. I feel that when hiring a president, a dean, an a.d. or a coach of a revenue-producing sport, the committee(s) should go out and recruit some of the best candidates who might conceivably be interested rather than waiting for them to come to you. The top people rarely actually apply for jobs, e.g. Dale Lennon and the Southern Illinois football coaching position. In North Dakota, it's especially unattractive to apply without being invited to do so, because your application will be public knowledge from the very beginning.

It looks to me that the committee has made it clear: Bollinger missed his chance and will not be considered for the job.

Bollinger "missed his chance"? By that logic, Buning should have "missed his chance" by a huge margin the first time this circus came through. As I recall, Buning was a late addition, correct?

The whole point is that Phil and Chuck are going to somehow screw this thing up again but UND will be the ones holding the bag as they drift off into retirement. I really hope Kelley has the final say on who it's going to be, he's got to work with him.

Side note: Seeing Phil on TV at the Obama/Hillary fest really showed me that Politics is where he fits in. He is an 'expert' on Politics according to KVLY but he can't figure out how to form a decent committee to pick an AD.....not once, but TWICE. 17 people on a committee? :)

...I'd just like to remind people that as far as I know and have heard the Buning hire was singlehandedly Kupchella's call. And...the AD committee was much smaller but additions were made by people already on the committee that thought they needed certain others on it. I do agree, though, Phil does know politics which should continue to prove to be helpful with keeping a pulse on and influencing members of the state legislature. Carry on...

The top people rarely actually apply for jobs, e.g. Dale Lennon and the Southern Illinois football coaching position. In North Dakota, it's especially unattractive to apply without being invited to do so, because your application will be public knowledge from the very beginning.

I am all for Bollinger being the A.D. I think he would be a logical choice but if you all of a sudden circumvent the hiring process you're going to have all these people especially a certain news paper in Fargo nit picking this AD selection process.

Goon - I agree with each of your comments - this is yet another situation that was very poorly handled. This time is wasn't (yet at least) the fault of the administration or the search committee.

The bottom line is that we need to hire the best candidate for the job. I don't know that Rob is the best candidate - although I think the department needs "him".

The suggestion to e-mail Kelley and Kupchella expressing our thoughts was made earlier. I strongly agree that anyone who feels strongly about this should do so - I would do it today!!

The addresses:

rokelley@uwyo.edu

ckupchella@mail.und.edu