SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's next Athletic Director

so.cal.sioux

I agree with you 100%.

I've been associated with UND Athletics and the Men's Hockey Program, from a distance, now since 2004. Ron Bollinger is w/out a doubt the most logical choice for this position for taking the Fighting Sioux, yes that is Fighting Sioux Athletics, into Division 1. He seems to be the people's choice if his name will be added to the list. I've found that this community, and Athletic Department, is a very tight knit group when it comes to Athletics. Mr. Bollinger is a very good choice for UND. Hopefully, the committee will honor his late arrival and give him a legitimate shot at the position. Nothing better than a Fighting Sioux taking over the Fighting Sioux Athletics Department. UND is so rich in pride and tradition and giving him a shot at that title would be beneficial for Grand Forks in the future.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goon - I agree with each of your comments - this is yet another situation that was very poorly handled. This time is wasn't (yet at least) the fault of the administration or the search committee.

The bottom line is that we need to hire the best candidate for the job. I don't know that Rob is the best candidate - although I think the department needs "him".

The suggestion to e-mail Kelley and Kupchella expressing our thoughts was made earlier. I strongly agree that anyone who feels strongly about this should do so - I would do it today!!

The addresses:

rokelley@uwyo.edu

ckupchella@mail.und.edu

I have also done so. If Dr. Kelley agrees to meet with Rob and doesn't come away very impressed, then so be it. I just hope such a meeting happens.

If UND doesn't want Rob Bollinger I am sure NDSU could find a place on the staff for him to replace mean Gene when the day comes. It would be tough having an ex sue as our leader but everything you here about the guy is fantastic. Who wouldn't want a guy who sells out to the cause as their AD? For Rob's sake I hope he gets the job, for the Bison's sake I hope he doesn't.

If UND doesn't want Rob Bollinger I am sure NDSU could find a place on the staff for him to replace mean Gene when the day comes. It would be tough having an ex sue as our leader but everything you here about the guy is fantastic. Who wouldn't want a guy who sells out to the cause as their AD? For Rob's sake I hope he gets the job, for the Bison's sake I hope he doesn't.

Bison 101 is perceptive and gives a very good endorsment of Rob. Those who know Rob and work with him have been very impressed. He isn't a yes man but he will voice his opinions at the proper time and in the proper forum. He will be loyal to the president and has always (and is to this day) very loyal to UND.

The committee showed a lack of leadership by not asking him to apply in the first place. The word was that Purpur was going to apply and was the frontrunner. That may have kept others from applying. According to what was published, the job is open until filled. To me that means it is still open. Why the committee would not want to interview a viable candidate at this time, tells me they need others on this committee. No matter who the candidate is, you should be looking for the best person for the job.

As to another poster's comments that Bollinger would be circumventing the process, if the job is open, I don't see how. It may be inconvenient for the committee, but if that is the case, those who are put out should get off the committee. I would never make decisions at UND based on what McFly or others at the Forum might say. This is too improtant of a job for our athletic department to make another mistake.

The NCAA has exams that coaches must take and pass (things like knowing recruiting rules and dates, and what you can and can't say about recruits, and scheduling rules, and such) to be "certified" as an NCAA coach.

Do similar things exist for administrators like the Athletic Director position? If so,

- what do those exams focus on?

- do all of the possible candidates (and this mystery potential entrant) have the credentials to be certified?

The Feb. 19 IAC meeting minutes have been posted: link

Sue Jeno said the search committee will be completing reference checks the week of Feb. 26 on six (6) candidates. The plan is to host on campus interviews the week after spring break. Lowell Schweigert asked if applications had closed. Human Resources will stop accepting applications once on campus interviews begin.

If there was truly a date after which applications would no longer be accepted, shouldn't that have been a decision made in advance by the committee, and included in the job announcement? :lol:

Since I'm one of the relatively few posters on this board whose primary interest isn't hockey, I'm not the one to answer this question, but I'll throw it out there: does anybody think that the job announcement should have included as a "preferred qualification" work experience at a school which sponsors a hockey program? Is it a concern to any of you hockey-first fans that neither finalist has apparently any background whatsoever in hockey or working at a school which has hockey? Just curious.

Since I'm one of the relatively few posters on this board whose primary interest isn't hockey, I'm not the one to answer this question, but I'll throw it out there: does anybody think that the job announcement should have included as a "preferred qualification" work experience at a school which sponsors a hockey program? Is it a concern to any of you hockey-first fans that neither finalist has apparently any background whatsoever in hockey or working at a school which has hockey? Just curious.

I don't think that the last 3 AD's had that much control over hockey anyway. Hockey at UND is it's own entity, but now that every sport will be DI that might change.

It doesn't concern me as long as they understand how to take care of their top revenue producing sport, and the sport that provides the primary visibility.

I don't believe hockey experience, or lack there of, is a major player in the search for UND's new AD. College athletics, in my experience and opinion, does not change that much from football to basketball to volleyball to hockey. Sure the sports couldn't be more different but the management and administration of the programs are the same.

That being said, not all programs get the same attention from administration, nor should they. I think UND administration should pay more attention to their "non-revenue" sports but the fact remains the hockeys, basketballs and football will receive the majority of the attention.

A good AD would understand all of this as it is common sense within college athletics.

I don't believe hockey experience, or lack there of, is a major player in the search for UND's new AD. College athletics, in my experience and opinion, does not change that much from football to basketball to volleyball to hockey. Sure the sports couldn't be more different but the management and administration of the programs are the same.

That being said, not all programs get the same attention from administration, nor should they. I think UND administration should pay more attention to their "non-revenue" sports but the fact remains the hockeys, basketballs and football will receive the majority of the attention.

A good AD would understand all of this as it is common sense within college athletics.

Points well taken. However, I did find it somewhat interesting that collegiate coaching experience WAS listed as a "preferred qualification." In UND's situation, my personal opinion is that as between at least a rudimentary understanding of college hockey, and collegiate coaching experience, the former would be more useful than the latter. That probably wouldn't be the case at most schools--even at most schools that actually have hockey--but I believe it is here.

Points well taken. However, I did find it somewhat interesting that collegiate coaching experience WAS listed as a "preferred qualification." In UND's situation, my personal opinion is that as between at least a rudimentary understanding of college hockey, and collegiate coaching experience, the former would be more useful than the latter. That probably wouldn't be the case at most schools--even at most schools that actually have hockey--but I believe it is here.

I understand what you are saying, but the ad doesn't run the hockey program, the hockey program runs the hockey program. If I had to choose between a guy who knew about hockey and nothing about running an athletic department and a guy who knows next to nothing about hockey and many things on running an athletic department.....the guy who can run an athletic department wins. Hockey is big at UND, but we need someone who can run with all programs and not just one.

I understand what you are saying, but the ad doesn't run the hockey program, the hockey program runs the hockey program. If I had to choose between a guy who knew about hockey and nothing about running an athletic department and a guy who knows next to nothing about hockey and many things on running an athletic department.....the guy who can run an athletic department wins. Hockey is big at UND, but we need someone who can run with all programs and not just one.

O.K., I'm going to try this one more time--and keep in mind that I'm a football/basketball guy, and not necessarily a hockey guy. Potentially, we're asking somebody to run the athletic department at UND who faces a major challenge in fundraising in that he's not going to known ANY of the major players, i.e. the alumni and friends with the deepest pockets. These people are absolutely crucial to a successful UND transition to dI. And who are those people (by and large)? Hockey and/or football fans/letterwinners. It's only more difficult now that Dale Lennon is no longer around, because he was wildly popular amongst football alums and fans (that's not a slam at Mussman; he's just a relatively unproven commodity). Added to that challenge, he's apparently also going to be somebody who MAY not know the first thing about hockey, which MAY not make him "fit in" with the average UND sports fan. I believe this quote by Terry Wanless is something to think about:

"The school can't afford to make a mistake and bring in the wrong person, one who doesn't understand North Dakota culture and the people of North Dakota and how they think, react and respond to Sioux athletics."

This is going to be something of an apples to oranges comparison because every school has basketball, and most have football, but can you imagine the a.d. at USC, Nebraska, Florida, Michigan, etc. not having any previous experience in football? The a.d. at Kansas, Duke, Indiana or North Carolina not having any basketball background? I just can't see it. Maybe that's not exactly what Wanless meant, but that's more or less how I interpret his above-quoted statement. Hockey is a huge part of the culture at UND. Not that it would be impossible for Hickman and/or Faison to become acclimated with the UND sports culture, but it would be a challenge IMO given their backgrounds.

If Hickman or Faison get this job, I wish them nothing but the best. I just hope they're not being placed into a nearly impossible situation. I certainly hope my reservations turn out to be unfounded.

What is an Athletic Director's job? No, I'm serious. What are the job responsibilities? This is in the link previously provided (emphasis added):

I'm reading a lot of words about positive relationships and fundsraising here on the board but that seems to rank behind administrative and NCAA-type (conference, schedule) activities in that posting. What should I infer from that?

click on and listen to the quailifcations of Oregon's AD.....he does not even have a college degree....?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/index

click on the Phil Knight story and Oregon Pat Kilkenney.....great story....on the right video box

O.K., I'm going to try this one more time--and keep in mind that I'm a football/basketball guy, and not necessarily a hockey guy. Potentially, we're asking somebody to run the athletic department at UND who faces a major challenge in fundraising in that he's not going to known ANY of the major players, i.e. the alumni and friends with the deepest pockets. These people are absolutely crucial to a successful UND transition to dI. And who are those people (by and large)? Hockey and/or football fans/letterwinners. It's only more difficult now that Dale Lennon is no longer around, because he was wildly popular amongst football alums and fans (that's not a slam at Mussman; he's just a relatively unproven commodity). Added to that challenge, he's apparently also going to be somebody who MAY not know the first thing about hockey, which MAY not make him "fit in" with the average UND sports fan. I believe this quote by Terry Wanless is something to think about:

This is going to be something of an apples to oranges comparison because every school has basketball, and most have football, but can you imagine the a.d. at USC, Nebraska, Florida, Michigan, etc. not having any previous experience in football? The a.d. at Kansas, Duke, Indiana or North Carolina not having any basketball background? I just can't see it. Maybe that's not exactly what Wanless meant, but that's more or less how I interpret his above-quoted statement. Hockey is a huge part of the culture at UND. Not that it would be impossible for Hickman and/or Faison to become acclimated with the UND sports culture, but it would be a challenge IMO given their backgrounds.

If Hickman or Faison get this job, I wish them nothing but the best. I just hope they're not being placed into a nearly impossible situation. I certainly hope my reservations turn out to be unfounded.

The athletic director is like the head coach of the football team.

He is not out there coaching individual players (at least that's not what Bohl does) and he is not coordinating plays. His coaches do that.

Likewise, an AD is not running individual programs. His head coaches do that.

Wanless had no experience with hockey prior to coming to UND. He ran a good department and was in the black financially. He did fire Gasparini, which angered some, but the Sioux ended up quite well under Blais.

Terry was and is a fine administrator. However, he probably didn't really understand the "culture" of UND sports when he took the job, which led to some mistakes for which some never forgave him. I don't think Buning really understood what he was getting into either, although he apparently didn't have Terry's administrative skills. I don't believe there was much opposition to Terry within the department, although that certainly was a problem for Buning.

Maybe I'm completely off base on this one, and the hiring of an "outsider" without any apparent background in UND's number one sport will work out just fine. To reiterate, my biggest concern is fundraising. To me, that's the biggest key for UND's new a.d. at this time. Perhaps ten years from now the job will be completely different, but we're in the "show me the money" phase of the dI transition. No matter what sort of fundraising track record one may have elsewhere, that doesn't necessarily translate well into a new school/area. A good local example may be Scandrett at MSU-Moorhead. It's closely related to the whole "understanding the culture" theory. People are more apt to make donations when it's somebody they know and trust asking them. Fundraising is one of the reasons I am so in favor of Rob Bollinger.

Phil Harmeson will not be getting the job at VCSU, so he can't be in on the AD decision and jump ship. He will be at UND for the foreseeable future.

VCSU finalists announced

Two finalists will be considered for president of Valley City (N.D.) State University.

A search committee on Thursday voted unanimously to forward:

- Blake Faulkner, president of the online campus and system vice president for international affairs at National American University in Rapid City, S.D.

- Steven Shirley, vice president and dean for student affairs at Dakota State University in Madison, S.D.

Phil Harmeson will not be getting the job at VCSU, so he can't be in on the AD decision and jump ship. He will be at UND for the foreseeable future.

VCSU finalists announced

But in what capacity? If the a.d. is going to be reporting directly to the president, as Kelley has indicated, is Harmeson's vice presidency really needed? I don't know--I'm just asking the question.

What is the hold up, the names of the finalists were forwarded some time ago. This delay would seem to mean maybe they are taking a look at the late arriving applicant. If the delay continues much longer one of the other finalists may very well pull themselves from the process.

What is the hold up, the names of the finalists were forwarded some time ago. This delay would seem to mean maybe they are taking a look at the late arriving applicant. If the delay continues much longer one of the other finalists may very well pull themselves from the process.

Could be a lot of things that would delay the process. Looking at a late applicant is one possibility. It could be a timing issue, getting the right people together to make the decision, or make it official. I believe I read somewhere that Dr. Kelley was going to be at the Frozen Four but couldn't make it because of the snowstorm. Maybe they were going to meet in Denver and had to reschedule. It could be that the decision has been made and they are either negotiating a contract or getting through some of the other paperwork needed before they make the announcement. Whatever the reason is, I expect to hear something soon.