SiouxSports.com Forum

Grieco Gone?

WiSioux

Why is everyone so surprised by such an obvious move. The kid dreams of playing Pro and came to UND with the Eagles endorsment only to find himself not even dressing every night. He can't be optimisitic that next year is going to be any different with a drafted goalie coming in next season whereas he could very well be an immediate starter in the OHL. Flame me if you want but I fully understand what he is doing.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is everyone so surprised by such an obvious move. The kid dreams of playing Pro and came to UND with the Eagles endorsment only to find himself not even dressing every night. He can't be optimisitic that next year is going to be any different with a drafted goalie coming in next season whereas he could very well be an immediate starter in the OHL. Flame me if you want but I fully understand what he is doing.

TY finally someone else that is making sense :D

I knew it all along! We should fire Hakstol. He could step in for Lucia at the end of the season and be the perfect Canadian Hating face of the Gopher nation.

any chance we can sign wooger to a longterm deal when the Hak is fired? Buy out his tv contract perhaps :huh:

I agree. I hate to see him go because I think he has talent, but what is he supposed to think if he's not dressing and Eidsness is coming in next year? It's all about playing time. However, the poster that believes that Greico was not playing because he is not "local" really does not get it. Hakstol wants to win, and if that means recruiting kids from Canada or California or Canada, it makes little difference. Besides, since Hakstol, Eades and Jackson are all Canadians, I doubt that he has a bias in favor of local kids. Lamoureux has earned his right to be the No. 1 goalie based upon his performance and his experience.

I agree. I hate to see him go because I think he has talent, but what is he supposed to think if he's not dressing and Eidsness is coming in next year? It's all about playing time. However, the poster that believes that Greico was not playing because he is not "local" really does not get it. Hakstol wants to win, and if that means recruiting kids from Canada or California or Canada, it makes little difference. Besides, since Hakstol, Eades and Jackson are all Canadians, I doubt that he has a bias in favor of local kids. Lamoureux has earned his right to be the No. 1 goalie based upon his performance and his experience.

LOL who didn't get it ............... :D

The comments on favoring the locals was pure sarcasm! This years schedule limited his ability to get much playin time early in the season. If we would have had another non-conference game he would have seen some time. Also AG would have been a junior next year and would have had a great opportunity to compete with Eidsness.

Bottom line most goalies are headcases!

The comments on favoring the locals was pure sarcasm! This years schedule limited his ability to get much playin time early in the season. If we would have had another non-conference game he would have seen some time. Also AG would have been a junior next year and would have had a great opportunity to compete with Eidsness.

Bottom line most goalies are headcases!

I thought Hak was a defenceman :D AG wiill be greatly missed if JPL goes down :huh:

I have a couple thoughts/questions from this...

Most on here believe competition for playing time is good because it motivates players, right?

Now, I'm not questioning JPL's motiviation, but is there a chance he could become complacent without another goalie pushing him for playing time?

Is Walski good enough to push Lammy for playing time?

Again, I'm not questioning JPL's ability to motivate himself or compete, but is there a chance he could lose his "edge?"

Most on here believe competition for playing time is good because it motivates players, right?

Now, I'm not questioning JPL's motiviation, but is there a chance he could become complacent without another goalie pushing him for playing time?

Again, I'm not questioning JPL's ability to motivate himself or compete, but is there a chance he could lose his "edge?"

Another good point, our club is very vulnerable now without AG on the roster

im not worried about a senior goalie that was #1 from day 1 and will be through the season staying up for a chance to win a national championship. thats just digging on a issue. the other 2 goalies were not pushing phil, they were battling eachother for who gets to go and sit on the bench for road series. this is phils team and has been since last season. i know what you were getting at but think thats a absolute non issue

im not worried about a senior goalie that was #1 from day 1 and will be through the season staying up for a chance to win a national championship. thats just digging on a issue. the other 2 goalies were not pushing phil, they were battling eachother for who gets to go and sit on the bench for road series. this is phils team and has been since last season. i know what you were getting at but think thats a absolute non issue

With this all or nothing philosophy I sure hope that Lammy can live up to this tall order ....... are injuries, health issues, slumps predictable.

AG apologists - question for you.

Did he get cut or did he quit?

I ran accross this quote today - a famous FB coach said "I don't build character, I help reveal it."

Enough said about AG

You are a great football mind anti-apologist .......... maybe you can play quarterback if something happens to Lammy :D

AG apologists - question for you.

Did he get cut or did he quit?

I ran accross this quote today - a famous FB coach said "I don't build character, I help reveal it."

Enough said about AG

I have a question for you:

When's the last time Hakstol said, "You know what? I know he comes highly recommended and I know he played his best despite being underaged last year and I know he wants playing time... I think I'll cut him."

:D

We are in a new era of hockey where players with talent try to take the best route towards a pro career. College hockey is growing in that regard, but apparently AG thought he had a better shot in the OHL.

I don't know how this hurts the Sioux provided JPL stays healthy. What it does do is hurt us next year. We're already going to have ???s at goal with AG and an unproven rookie (drafted or not). Now, we're going to have three untested goaltenders next season.

I think losing AG really hurts this team.

Man, you really love Anthony Grieco.

The fact remains that he only played a few games in a Sioux uni...some very good (series against SCSU) and some very bad (series at UAA). We didn't learn enough from him in that time to know if this will hurt us in the long haul.

If something should happen to Lammy, then Walski will fill the void until Lammy returns. Who's to say that Walski won't do as good or better than what Grieco would have done?

But none of this matters. He's gone. So we can move on.

I'm guessing Hakstol already has a plan formulating for another goalie to be brought in soon for depth reasons.

Man, you really love Anthony Grieco.

The fact remains that he only played a few games in a Sioux uni...some very good (series against SCSU) and some very bad (series at UAA). We didn't learn enough from him in that time to know if this will hurt us in the long haul.

If something should happen to Lammy, then Walski will fill the void until Lammy returns. Who's to say that Walski won't do as good or better than what Grieco would have done?

But none of this matters. He's gone. So we can move on.

I'm guessing Hakstol already has a plan formulating for another goalie to be brought in soon for depth reasons.

Adam Webber has some eligibility left......... :D

Great players are self motivated. Do you think there is anyone at practice who could take Oshie's spot on the top line? No. Do you think he knows that? Yes. Does it make him less motivated? No. JPL appears to be of a similar mental makeup, so I doubt he'll start slacking.

Your point about the club being vulnerable is spot on. Now, who's fault is that?

You might say Hak's for not getting AG more playing time. But I will say it's AG's fault, he's getting a good education for free and playing daily against some of the best college hockey players in the country. If he didn't like that last year, he should have left over the summer, when he could have been replaced.

As it is, leaving now hurts the team, and as such I consider it a selfish move on the player's part (or whoever is advising him). The only way I would feel differently is if he has been lied to by the coaches, but I just don't see that happening here. Every time Hak, or his assistants are asked about anyone as it concerns playing time, they always say it is earned at practice. I don't see this any differently.

If you know something else, let's hear it.

Does this mean Ed Belfour will be returning to the U.S. to play back-up for the Sioux since AG left? :huh::D

To bad that he decided to leave but we'll do just fine without him. I think Walski will do fine as being the sole #2 goalie.

We have a full compliment of Defensemen........Get some BIG pads, strap them on Joe Findley and we have the net fully covered for the rest of the year!!

It would not suprise me if Eidsness would come in at the semester break. They really need to get another goalie in here and one that will be playing a lot in the future, not just a practice goalie. Otherwise, you will need to bring in Eidsness and another freshman next season which means starting out with no college experience in the net and a very young defense (assumes Chorney and Finley leave). Not a good recipe for success early in the season.

If Eidsness comes in at semester break, he will get a half year in without a lot of pressure and should be able to get a few starts. He will also be able to get his first NCAA championship. :D

There is no question that the Sioux have to get another goalie this season, you can't get by with only two. An injury to JPL and the season would likely be lost, this is not a shot at Walski but he is a junior and hasn't really played. Just don't know that he would be the guy you would want to go with if JPL got hurt. If they bring in a "practice goalie" then that tells me the coaches have a lot of faith in Walski and he will probably be one of the two goalies to lead the team next year.

If the coaches feel that Eidsness is ready and he is willing to come at semester break then, IMO, that would be the best solution. Then hit the recruiting trails to bring in another goalie for next year.

Goaltending is the most important position on the team. Other than JPL we now have no one that has even started a game at this level.