SiouxSports.com Forum

Grieco Gone?

WiSioux

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

guess you need to change your banner. AG won't be leading us to a damn thing!

He should have, he could have, he would have! .... had he been given the playing time that he needed. Who knows he may have been our starting goaltender by the end of the season if THEY would have given AG half a chance to prove himself ............. fire ......... :)

Oh yea and my signature line is now UPDATED :huh:

Wasn't he a late signee to begin with...He knew his role was as a back-up...

When JPL went down he played ok, but the team as a team was down at that time...

What, did he think him and Phil were gonna split time? Go to the OHL, have success...Some people would have killed to have the opportunity that he had...

What does this do to affect our recruiting?

He should have, he could have, he would have! .... had he been given the playing time that he needed. Who knows he may have been our starting goaltender by the end of the season if THEY would have given AG half a chance to prove himself ............. fire ......... :)

"THEY" screw us every year!

Wasn't he a late signee to begin with...He knew his role was as a back-up...

When JPL went down he played ok, but the team as a team was down at that time...

What, did he think him and Phil were gonna split time? Go to the OHL, have success...Some people would have killed to have the opportunity that he had...

What does this do to affect our recruiting?

Opportunity :D?? He wasn't given the opportunity !

My guess is that AG probably thought he could outplay JPL for the starting position. Is that not a good thing?

I don't know where he's from, but when you play for an elite team you have to earn your spot in the lineup. You aren't just given one because you were drafted. I don't pretend to know how Hak makes lineup decisions, but I definitely buy into practice performance. It is probably not the same with goalies, however, because as a coach you'd want to ride the hot hand. Right now JPL has let in something like 7 goals in 7 games with 4 shutouts. This ridiculous start will obviously not continue through the year, but right now I don't blame Hak for not playing Grieco. Maybe he would have gotten a game against Wisc or UMD.

I'm sorry to see Anthony go, as it would have been nice to have him available. But he probably should be in MJ if he wants guaranteed playing time. Nothing's guaranteed in the WCHA.

Sounds like someones gotta a crush on the guy who just bailed from the hockey team

My guess is that AG probably thought he could outplay JPL for the starting position. Is that not a good thing?

AG can think what he wants, Hak thinks otherwise and Hak has been to 3 straight FF's...

I'll take Hak's over AG's thinking, however if Phil goes down AG would have been our #1 right...

Of course maybe Walski was outplaying him in practice and he knew the pecking order...Hard to tell...

Opportunity :D?? He wasn't given the opportunity !

Starting jobs are determined in practice. Underclassmen have beaten out upperclassmen in the past. Schweitzer/Kvalevog; Parise/Brandt; meanwhile, others have had to wait their turn: Kollar/Goehring. It's a fair process, and great teams are made from guys who can accept their roles, and if your role is backup for that year, getting ready to step in and play when the team needs you, than so be it. Not saying AG left for lack of playing time. Hopefully, that wasn't the issue. The truth of the matter is, some players just don't fit into our program. It's a demanding program, and not everyone is a perfect fit.

Starting jobs are determined in practice. Underclassmen have beaten out upperclassmen in the past. Schweitzer/Kvalevog; Parise/Brandt; meanwhile, others have had to wait their turn: Kollar/Goehring. It's a fair process, and great teams are made from guys who can accept their roles, and if your role is backup for that year, getting ready to step in and play when the team needs you, than so be it. Not saying AG left for lack of playing time. Hopefully, that wasn't the issue. The truth of the matter is, some players just don't fit into our program. It's a demanding program, and not everyone is a perfect fit.

Maybe he needed to be from Grand Forks or Fargo :D

I don't think the reason Schweitzer beat out Toby was because he was practicing better. Toby turned into a major seive in 96-97. Schweitzer got the opportunity to play cause of it and we hung banner #6!

I don't know where he's from, but when you play for an elite team you have to earn your spot in the lineup. You aren't just given one because you were drafted. I don't pretend to know how Hak makes lineup decisions, but I definitely buy into practice performance. It is probably not the same with goalies, however, because as a coach you'd want to ride the hot hand. Right now JPL has let in something like 7 goals in 7 games with 4 shutouts. This ridiculous start will obviously not continue through the year, but right now I don't blame Hak for not playing Grieco. Maybe he would have gotten a game against Wisc or UMD.

I'm sorry to see Anthony go, as it would have been nice to have him available. But he probably should be in MJ if he wants guaranteed playing time. Nothing's guaranteed in the WCHA.

Nothing is a guarantee in life and he may or maynot get any playing time in the MJ either we will see.

He should have, he could have, he would have! .... had he been given the playing time that he needed. Who knows he may have been our starting goaltender by the end of the season if THEY would have given AG half a chance to prove himself ............. fire ......... :huh:

Oh yea and my signature line is now UPDATED :D

You are not GIVEN playing time at this level, you EARN playing time. In his three plus years as HC, Hak has been very consistent on that fact. I trust Hak, I am not at practice. It appears he did not EARN playing time, and instead of fighting through that and growing as a player and a person, he has chosen to leave. Life lesson here, does he grow from this, or become a habitual quitter? Only time will tell. He's 18, I hope a sour friend or relative didn't force this issue on him. I certainly wish him no ill will.

AG can think what he wants, Hak thinks otherwise and Hak has been to 3 straight FF's...

I'll take Hak's over AG's thinking, however if Phil goes down AG would have been our #1 right...

Of course maybe Walski was outplaying him in practice and he knew the pecking order...Hard to tell...

Well I am glad you have so much confidence in Walski because I don't and yes it is a long year so why not give AG some playing time

I don't think the reason Schweitzer beat out Toby was because he was practicing better. Toby turned into a major seive in 96-97. Schweitzer got the opportunity to play cause of it and we hung banner #6!

That was as great run that season...

You are not GIVEN playing time at this level, you EARN playing time. In his three plus years as HC, Hak has been very consistent on that fact. I trust Hak, I am not at practice. It appears he did not EARN playing time, and instead of fighting through that and growing as a player and a person, he has chosen to leave. Life lesson here, does he grow from this, or become a habitual quitter? Only time will tell. He's 18, I hope a sour friend or relative didn't force this issue on him. I certainly wish him no ill will.

given - earn you are splitting hairs doc ............. how do you know he didn't earn it ?

Playing time was the case!

From the herald article:

Grieco's father, Charlie, said it was essential for his son to get playing time as he recovered from a knee injury that he suffered at the end of last season.

"He needed some playing time or his skill level would be deteriorating," Charlie said.

Daddy seemed to have been calling the shots!